MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Matriarch Announced
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Moog Matriarch Announced
wminor
I'm seeing a lot of mention of the OB-6 as a comparable poly in this thread. I'm kinda intrigued by that... I see them as really quite different instruments.

Even ignoring the semi-modular aspect, and paraphony vs polyphony... just the SOUND is so different! I think the oscs, and especially the filters, sound totally different!

I own an OB-6, and I'm expecting the Matriarch to complement it rather than replace it.
chaosick
wminor wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of mention of the OB-6 as a comparable poly in this thread. I'm kinda intrigued by that... I see them as really quite different instruments.

Even ignoring the semi-modular aspect, and paraphony vs polyphony... just the SOUND is so different! I think the oscs, and especially the filters, sound totally different!

I own an OB-6, and I'm expecting the Matriarch to complement it rather than replace it.

That would seem misguided to me, in the same way that seeing a Vermona Perfourmer as a sub for a 6 voice poly is misguided, though it's a wonderful instrument.
booger
stringtapper wrote:
booger wrote:
Well, I assume that I wasn’t in the first 250 to order to Matriarch. My GC order went from a definitive date in early July to backordered. Hopefully, for not too long, though...

When did you place your order?

Saturday 4/27
Bobby
chaosick wrote:
wminor wrote:

That would seem misguided to me, in the same way that seeing a Vermona Perfourmer as a sub for a 6 voice poly is misguided, though it's a wonderful instrument.

OB-6 User here too and this is on my GAS list for sure.
Licudi
OB-6 and Matriarch both cost a similar chunk of change; I think that's the only grounds for comparison.
Muse FTW
stringtapper wrote:

Again, I ordered mine yesterday and the rep I spoke to on the phone said that GC had 190 units on order for the July ship date and that only around 30–40 had been ordered so far (around 5pm CST on 4/30/19).

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
stringtapper
booger wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
booger wrote:
Well, I assume that I wasn’t in the first 250 to order to Matriarch. My GC order went from a definitive date in early July to backordered. Hopefully, for not too long, though...

When did you place your order?

Saturday 4/27

According to the GC rep I spoke to you should be well within the first batch that are scheduled to ship in July.
rowsbywoof
I'm excited to see what people put out with the Matriarch. I'm really digging the sound a lot. I was originally bummed by the lack of the spring reverb from the GM, but now that I've had about a week to digest this synth, I think the choice of putting a stereo delay on the Matriarch was brilliant. It just lends itself better to what the overall architecture of the Matriarch is set up to do.

Can't wait to hear some demos and songs pumped out on these in July.
Rex Coil 7
rowsbywoof wrote:
I'm excited to see what people put out with the Matriarch. I'm really digging the sound a lot....

... Can't wait to hear some demos and songs pumped out on these in July.

This second video was shot on 16mm film and recorded on magnetic tape .... (Tascam 388 and Otari MX5050)

rowsbywoof
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:
I'm excited to see what people put out with the Matriarch. I'm really digging the sound a lot....

... Can't wait to hear some demos and songs pumped out on these in July.

This second video was shot on 16mm film and recorded on magnetic tape .... (Tascam 388 and Otari MX5050)

Where the first is great to show off the Matriarch, that second video gives a great glimpse of what's to come. It really cuts through a mix, and Lisa's work is nothing short of mesmerizing here. Love it.
solusarpus
This synth seems pretty cool, but I have a few thoughts.

1. will the keyboard somehow put out four separate cv and gate signals like the roland system 100 184 keyboard? I don't think so from a glance at the output section on the back.

2.If not, will it be able to send on 4 midi channels for the four paraphonic notes being played?

3. How hard would it be to wire 4 individual oscillator audio outs?

I am thinking that this thing is really close to being a polysynth, at least in conjunction with some external gear- I am imagining 4 mother 32s or the like that are assigned to play the same notes as the four matriarch oscillators (likely via midi). each matriarch osc audio out could be processed through its corresponding mother 32's envelopes and lfos, then those 4 mothers' audio outs could be routed back into the matriarch's mixer- viola, a 4 voice polysynth with 2 oscillators per voice. possible?

***edit: i see now that it has individual wave outs for the oscs
nios
To the above post,
Quote:
This synth seems pretty cool, but I have a few thoughts.
etc, I recall hearing that the sequencer on this thing can store paraphonic inputs and play them back accordingly. It also is equipped enough that I think it basically can play as a 2-voice pretty well, "true" duophonic as they put it, as compared to say how an ARP Odyssey plays.

Basically the main thing it's missing are enough VCAs/envelopes - as far as I can tell from its ins/outs so far it appears say a Doepfer A-142-2 can complete those requirements, and then the question would be two more filters. The grandma uses what, a 904a filter right? Aion Modular makes a Euro clone of that... So for maybe ~800 extra you can make this thing a full blown 4-voice poly, far far less if you aren't concerned with matching that filter (for example a dual filter with multiple signal in/out, like the Roland system 500 521).

The more I look at this the more I like the idea of it, because besides from the above adaptation I can also do stupid things like "what does a matriach sound like going through wasp filters".. "what would two complex moog oscs even sound like together" etc. Dead Banana
chiasticon
shame you can't disconnect keyboard input to an oscillator, or use it as an LFO. even if you plug a dummy cable into an oscillator's pitch in, that's just added to the voltage the keyboard is sending it.
anselmi
solusarpus wrote:
I am thinking that this thing is really close to being a polysynth, at least in conjunction with some external gear- I am imagining 4 mother 32s or the like

4 werkstatts would fit this job and they´re much cheaper than M32s
Rex Coil 7
chiasticon wrote:
shame you can't disconnect keyboard input to an oscillator, or use it as an LFO. even if you plug a dummy cable into an oscillator's pitch in, that's just added to the voltage the keyboard is sending it.
... you may be able to. Does the manual point to anything about turning off "local control"? Many (many!) processor controlled synths have the local control on/off feature, often times buried within the guts of the machine ...

seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
Hermetech Mastering
Matriarch manual is not out yet. GM has Local Off mode but it's apparently broken and they've promised to fix it in a firmware update sometime.
chiasticon
I was going off of the Grandmother manual, as the osc's and their controls are similar (and I assume based on the same circuit). local off mode is something but it's not entirely what I'm after. I want independent option of keyboard on/off for each osc, like the 2600 has.
mintmark
I really like the way the Moog manuals include a signal flow diagram near the beginning... (although it looks like they didn't attempt that in the One manual)

Anyway, maybe in paraphonic mode you can arrange for a key to stay pressed all the time to hold an oscillator at a set pitch from the keyboard? In some of the demos you see the players holding one bass key while playing other notes higher up.

Or the LFO can probably act as a disconnected oscillator.. and maybe the other LFO can as well.
rowsbywoof
chiasticon wrote:
I was going off of the Grandmother manual, as the osc's and their controls are similar (and I assume based on the same circuit). local off mode is something but it's not entirely what I'm after. I want independent option of keyboard on/off for each osc, like the 2600 has.

Maybe reach out to Moog with this request? They're still small enough of a company that suggestions like this might make their way into the product. I'd try reaching out to Moog support with a question/request for this to be implemented and if it makes sense and is doable with the current hardware layout, it might just make it into a future update.
stringtapper
I wrote to Moog to see if they could confirm what my GC rep was telling me and here's the response:

Quote:
Yes, that ETA matches our production plan. Our plan is to begin the production run on two lines in early-mid June. Production will likely be at between 5–15 units a day, starting out. Of course, things may be fluid if there's a delay in the production start date. As of now, we are on track as per the plan. If things change, our sales team will be in contact with GC to provide updates. GC will have up-to-date info throughout the process…

thumbs up
solusarpus
the local off mode would be cool, but I would really like to see the different note allocation modes and how they would apply to external gear. If the matriarch can output a midi or cv signal to 4 other synths in the same note allocation series as is represented on the matriarch in 4 part paraphonic mode, then this is a starter kit 4 voice polysynth with stereo vcfs, delay, and vca on top
solusarpus
stringtapper wrote:
I wrote to Moog to see if they could confirm what my GC rep was telling me and here's the response:

Quote:
Yes, that ETA matches our production plan. Our plan is to begin the production run on two lines in early-mid June. Production will likely be at between 5–15 units a day, starting out. Of course, things may be fluid if there's a delay in the production start date. As of now, we are on track as per the plan. If things change, our sales team will be in contact with GC to provide updates. GC will have up-to-date info throughout the process…

thumbs up

I wonder if your moog rep could confirm whether there will be an all black version, as mentioned high above... I doubt it; it looked like someone just screenshotted a line outline of the synth, as moog uses in most manuals. I would like to see a black version. I don't like the modular panel kinda- skeuomorphic look and I don't like easter colors in general. moog would sell more if they didn't front like that
anselmi
solusarpus wrote:
stringtapper wrote:

Quote:

thumbs up

I wonder if your moog rep could confirm whether there will be an all black version, as mentioned high above... I doubt it; it looked like someone just screenshotted a line outline of the synth, as moog uses in most manuals. I would like to see a black version. I don't like the modular panel kinda- skeuomorphic look and I don't like easter colors in general. moog would sell more if they didn't front like that

I think the color scheme is a very intentional marketing strategy to accent and comunicate the "modular" vibe of the synth (since they´re using adapted circuits from their modular synths) and state a difference with their non-modular stuff, like the SubSequent and One. It shouts "look, I´m a keyboard but there´s modules inside here, and you can patch them"
stringtapper
solusarpus wrote:

I’m pretty sure that image on the Matriarch page on Moog’s site is indeed an outline graphic of the front panel for the manual with the background inadvertently set to transparent rather than white.
nectarios
chiasticon wrote:

Maybe patching a dummy cable at the V/Oct input of a VCO, will do that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 9 of 12