MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Matriarch Announced
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Moog Matriarch Announced
mintmark
nectarios wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
I was going off of the Grandmother manual, as the osc's and their controls are similar (and I assume based on the same circuit). local off mode is something but it's not entirely what I'm after. I want independent option of keyboard on/off for each osc, like the 2600 has.

Maybe patching a dummy cable at the V/Oct input of a VCO, will do that.

That doesn't work with the grandmother. You can patch something to "pitch in", but the pitch from the keyboard is still always added to it.

I do wonder if it might be different with the Matriarch because Moog mention the ability to decouple the sequencer from the synth, but it's not obvious how... there seem to be separate sequencer and keyboard CV outputs. I guess it depends on where they break the normalling, by using the sequencer output or by pathcing the oscillator inputs.
nectarios
Fair enough. Strange that inserting a patch cable does not break the normalisation from the keyboard. Obviously they where thinking something else that I am not.
Bobby
Im personally hoping the sequencer can be output as midi. The CV inputs/outputs look to be monophonic from what i can tell. (obviously the VCO's have paraphonic inputs however i mean inputs/outputs in relation to the sequencer/keyboard)
solusarpus
anselmi wrote:

I think the color scheme is a very intentional marketing strategy to accent and comunicate the "modular" vibe of the synth (since they´re using adapted circuits from their modular synths) and state a difference with their non-modular stuff, like the SubSequent and One. It shouts "look, I´m a keyboard but there´s modules inside here, and you can patch them"

I think you're absolutely correct, but I also imagine that coloring "modules" is absolutely unnecessary since anyone who looks at it will see the long patchbay across the top. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the modular concept isn't going to be sold on it because a few parts are colored in, I would bet. I'm probably just whinging because I want it to look like my old rogue.
SteeVtheRipper
Know what I would really love to see... A Moog (insert familial name here). A synth one tier up from this.

Everything the Matriarch has plus:

4 more VCOs
1 more VCF with both having separately addressable filters so you could split the two stereo filters into 4 single filters allowing true 4 voice poly w/2 osc per voice
2 more envelopes
2 more LFOs
1 more utility module
spring reverb
61 keys
8 voice paraphony (1 osc per voice)
4 voice polyphony (2 osc per voice)
2 voice duophony (4 osc per voice)
$3000-$3500

If Moog released that I think I would die lol. That would be about the coolest semi modular synth I can think of, and I'd take it any day over a One. Knowing my luck by the time I save up and purchase a Matriach it will happen the next day.
nectarios
You want an 8 VCO Moog synth for 3500bucks? hihi
SteeVtheRipper
Yes. Yes I do. haha
I think the price is fair. A Gma is $899, Matriarch is $2K, so the synth I'm imagining is a proportional expansion beyond the Matriarch as the Matriarch is beyond the Gma. Makes sense to me. You have to admit, sounds pretty badass.

This small to large product release architecture is frustrating, because you never know whats around the bend. I was thinking of getting a Gma and I would have been really bummed if I had and then the Matriarch dropped. I prefer the release of a flagship then trickle down synths. The way they've gone about releasing Gma then Mat. gives me anxiety that I might pull the trigger too early. lol. But all things considered I think the Mat. is a fabulous synth and you can't really go wrong with it. Generally I think it sounds better than the One. Kinda makes me wish that they had used those oscillators and mixer in the One, then you'd really have a super beast!

If I can manage a Matriarch and Summit by years end I will be a happy camper. I'd like to fool myself into thinking I'll be satisfied but I'm a sucker for a cool instrument. I'm a player at heart and just get so much enjoyment noodling around and enjoying instruments, so while I have every musical need covered my curiosity for different instrumental experiences is never satiated. I think the next real leap for me is into euro. I have a few semimodular synths and I find myself wanting to do things with them beyond their native functionality which has me looking at modules.
calaveras
I'm glad to see Moog going more in this direction. As opposed to the more microprocessor/firmware based analog synths like the Sub37, Phattie etc.
The paraphony is a puzzler though. I spent time with some paraphonic synths like the Poly 800. And it's a compromise you make when you can only afford a $200 synth. Not something most of us seek out. And certainly not at this price point!

I'd be curious to see if they release a module version of this kinda like Sequential does with most of their synths. I'd be much more interested in using this as a sequenced thing than a keyboard. Esp if that shaved a couple hundred off the top.

Curious if Moog is going to keep doing the Realistic MG1 color scheme from now on.
gentle_attack
mintmark wrote:
nectarios wrote:
chiasticon wrote:
I was going off of the Grandmother manual, as the osc's and their controls are similar (and I assume based on the same circuit). local off mode is something but it's not entirely what I'm after. I want independent option of keyboard on/off for each osc, like the 2600 has.

Maybe patching a dummy cable at the V/Oct input of a VCO, will do that.

That doesn't work with the grandmother. You can patch something to "pitch in", but the pitch from the keyboard is still always added to it.

I do wonder if it might be different with the Matriarch because Moog mention the ability to decouple the sequencer from the synth, but it's not obvious how... there seem to be separate sequencer and keyboard CV outputs. I guess it depends on where they break the normalling, by using the sequencer output or by pathcing the oscillator inputs.

nectarios wrote:
Fair enough. Strange that inserting a patch cable does not break the normalisation from the keyboard. Obviously they where thinking something else that I am not.

Could you not invert the 'keyboard out' out using something like KINKS, then send that back into the 'pitch in'? This would subtract just as much as the keybaord was outputting.

You could even use a precision adder (LINKS for example) to add some other voltage to the inverted 'keyboard out', to move the Oscillator around independently

I have not tried this but it seems like it would work, although you need extra modules obviously.
Bobby
calaveras wrote:
I'm glad to see Moog going more in this direction. As opposed to the more microprocessor/firmware based analog synths like the Sub37, Phattie etc.
The paraphony is a puzzler though. I spent time with some paraphonic synths like the Poly 800. And it's a compromise you make when you can only afford a $200 synth. Not something most of us seek out. And certainly not at this price point!

I'd be curious to see if they release a module version of this kinda like Sequential does with most of their synths. I'd be much more interested in using this as a sequenced thing than a keyboard. Esp if that shaved a couple hundred off the top.

Curious if Moog is going to keep doing the Realistic MG1 color scheme from now on.

I'm kinda down with it for the weirdness. My collection is getting to a stage where I'm like yeah I ain't gotta a paraphonic so it's justified. Probably just Gassing myself tho.
tehyar
Paraphonic capability is just something typically added on to a monophonic with lots of oscs. MatrixBrute, Sub37, Pro2, Medusa, Pulse 2, etc, etc... They just usually aren't categorized as paraphonic right out of the gate like this. They're all over the place, though.
Kja
calaveras wrote:

Matrairch has both firmware and microprocessors, don't let the cactuses and neon colors fool you..
mintmark
It doesn't have a tiny screen and little buttons everywhere and I'm grateful for that.

As to the paraphony... I am hoping it might be a little different to the sub37, the demos seem to show that it can suppress unused oscillators when you're not playing as many notes as possible.

Hopefully the manual will arrive soon.
Bobby
+1 on the manual. I don't normally buy stuff that doesn't offer alternative tunings but I do like this machine loads so im still gassing for it. I've messaged them about MTS support and so far been ignored.
iSapien1956672
I'm on the fence.
I was all psyched when the Matrirach was announced and then Novation unveiled the Summit soon after.
seriously, i just don't get it very frustrating hmmm.....
Bobby
Got an answer on MTS:

Not at release but hopefully in a firmware update.

...I'll be hanging fire for a bit. Still a lush synth but I'd rather not have it paint itself in a corner.
booger
Just got word from GC that my Matriarch won’t ship until October. (I ordered it the Sat of Moogfest weekend.) confused
wminor
booger wrote:
Just got word from GC that my Matriarch won’t ship until October. (I ordered it the Sat of Moogfest weekend.) confused

Me too. I think I ordered on the Friday though.

Wondering if they've hit some manufacturing / production issues?
stringtapper
Yeah, same here.

I’m going to message the Moog rep I’ve been in contact with and see if he can shed any light on it.
Muse FTW
booger wrote:

Same. I'm guessing they've all been delayed a bit. Really disappointing tbh but I'd rather they get it right.
Panason
iSapien1956672 wrote:
I'm on the fence.
I was all psyched when the Matrirach was announced and then Novation unveiled the Summit soon after.

There's also the Super 6 and the OB-6 at around the same price point... The Matriarch is overpriced (like all Moogs) and I can't see it selling well at all outside the US.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
iSapien1956672 wrote:
I'm on the fence.

There's also the Super 6 and the OB-6 at around the same price point... The Matriarch is overpriced (like all Moogs) and I can't see it selling well at all outside the US.

yep...BUT this 2 synths (as well as the P6) are true polyphonic and don´t have any patchpoints, so for me they´re not comparable

the Matriarch is not just about playing chords but a combination of things that are not in the market in the form of a single, keyboard driven synth

yes, you can play chords, and yes ypu have "modules" and you can add it to your modular rig and maybe enjoy a fresh musical twist in your workflow

for me the goal is to make the more traditional "musical" and the last years "modular" worlds closer than just having chords in a synth and patchpoints in another
calaveras
Paraphony on a dsp based osc is a gimme. On something like the recently discontinued Pro2, it would be criminal not to have a paraphonic mode. It doesn't cost extra to have several pairs of oscs or just one pair.
It does cost extra if you are making an analog polysynth, and have to put a filter on each voice.
I cant help but feel like the paraphony is just a cheap move.
Shadoweclipse13
I preordered one at the beginning on May, and truly like everything about it. It'll be my first hardware synth, which is also really exciting. It sounds to me that it'll be able to the Model D sound fairly well. For a while, I've been buying AJH MiniMod modules to do the Model D sound, but I like the sound of the Matriarch better, and it can do so much more I think.
peripatitis
Nice filter though, beyond that mehh
I don't get their synth naming as of late though..
Do they have an agenda or what?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 10 of 14