Moog Matriarch Announced

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

jakobprogsch
Common Wiggler

Post by jakobprogsch » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:57 am

Bought mine on Saturday from a local shop. When it was first announced I thought "this is just a double grandmother (2x oscillators, filters, LFOs and EGs) with a delay. But of course I had a similar reaction to the GM at first and then loved it. The same thing happened with the Matriarch now. It's just very well thought out and sounds amazing.

What slightly annoys me with all the "mother" synths is that they are so stingy on envelopes? Especially since the Matriarch has tree (!) utility VCAs/Multipliers.

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:apparently there are 24 (i think that's the number) of tuning scales available in the machine. I'm looking for some kind of documentation that lists these, but haven't churned up anything. Does anyone have this info?

I also discovered that the new firmware for my korg prologue has microtunings, and the ability to edit these easily by key in the editor. I am no longer considering selling this - this is a great feature.

I'm wondering if anyone can save me some time - i haven't dealt with sysex directly in quite some time. In theory, I should be able to export the sysex from a prologue tuning, and then import it to the matriarch...I'll probably try that in the next few days, but if someone is a bit more facile will this, maybe they could speed me along a little....
fundamentally yes. sometimes you need a hex editor to make it go to the bank you want (see DSI). Some machines will insert it into the active bank when you are importing (See Cirklon). Please let me know how you get on with this. Want both machines for this very reason.

edit: also from what i remember from reading up on Korg you might need their own librarian to move scales in and out of their gear rather than sysex? (could be wrong. im still in pre-GAS stage on the new Korg stuff). In my experience each manufacturer is a little unique but similar enough to make it too much of a pain.

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:54 am

I got mine on Monday and it's very inviting to play and the sounds coming out have been incredible. The sheer amount of patch points makes me feel totally in control of of the sonic potential of the machine. I would not change a single thing about it except some patch points for controlling the envelope attack and decay/release phases. Of course you can always patch in a vcadsr from a eurorack system.

Considering the amount of kit you are getting not even mentioning the moog brand stereo analog delay (which is fully voltage controllable) this thing is worth way over the asking price of 2000 usd.
Last edited by Bogus on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

catchin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15 am

That's nice, but...

Very happy with my 3 phatties and a voyager.

Bogus
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Bogus » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Anyone gotten into Ableton to send envelopes/LFOs/M4L out of the Vel and AT outs? I bet its crazy when you start doing that

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:00 am

New firmware out!

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 am

Got mine yesterday. It’s so nice to get something out of the box and immediately be making all those wonderful sounds I bought it for. It’s very well thought out. The dual filter with a dedicated spacing knob is like instant dreaminess. So amazed at this thing. I’m currently using an Analogue Solutions Generator as a synced complex modulation source and it’s tons o fun.
Last edited by tehyar on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darmklacht@gmail.com
Wiggling with Experience

Post by darmklacht@gmail.com » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Is it just me or can the path between the VCA´s and delay not be broken?

That means that if I wanted to use external Eurorack effects after the usual VCO->VCF->VCA I would have to go from the filters out into an external VCA to the effect and then into the Matriarchs VCA if I want to take advantage of the Mix knob?

Funch

Post by Funch » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 pm

For those who have tried the moogfogger delay and own this new moog synth, I'd be interested in how they compare.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:43 am

Funch wrote:For those who have tried the moogfogger delay and own this new moog synth, I'd be interested in how they compare.
Judge for yourself:

[video][/video]
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?t=222871&highlight=
WTB: Kurzweil Rumour (or trade for Mangler)

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:58 am

Matriarch delay sounds *much* better than the MF-104 and that's before we take into account that the MF-104 is mono.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:46 am

Best use for the right laptop stand? :hihi:

Recently discovered that the flood of laptop stands on the market with the pivot at the front (instead of the back like those made for musicians) have some nice possibilities. Second stand for a skiff is next.

Funch

Post by Funch » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm

MindMachine wrote:
Funch wrote:For those who have tried the moogfogger delay and own this new moog synth, I'd be interested in how they compare.
Judge for yourself:

[video][/video]
After listening to that demo, I agree with nectarous. Thanks.

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mkdvb » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 am

Not sure what you're trying to do but you lose the mix knob if you want to patch out the VCA without the delay. Hopefully you have a mixer & can mix the delay separately?
darmklacht@gmail.com wrote:Is it just me or can the path between the VCA´s and delay not be broken?

That means that if I wanted to use external Eurorack effects after the usual VCO->VCF->VCA I would have to go from the filters out into an external VCA to the effect and then into the Matriarchs VCA if I want to take advantage of the Mix knob?

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:25 pm

:hmm: i think each of the delay effects (matriarch, mooger-fooger and 500-series) sounds quite different and distinct (in the video posted above).

each of them sounds quite nice. matriarch's repeats seem relatively deep and clear. mooger-fooger has nice some break-up/saturation/crunch going on. 500 seems very capable with feedback and making flange-tones, etc.

i wonder how much of a difference the internal gain-staging made - mooger-fooger being instrument-level, 500-series being line level and matriarch being modular(?) level (and thus having the most input headroom) - and how much the matriarch's delay input could be overdriven to get mooger-fooger-like crunchiness on its repeats?

cheers

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:51 am

[video][/video]

I thought this was a great demo of the Matriarch.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

Return to “General Gear”