MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Matriarch Announced
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Moog Matriarch Announced
Muse FTW
Moog Matriarch is a patchable 4-note paraphonic analog synthesizer with a built-in Sequencer, Arpeggiator, stereo Ladder Filters, and stereo Analog Delay. Capable of creating rich evolving chord patterns immediately with “no patching required”, Matriarch invites access to an abundance of inspiring textures, new sounds, and an endless supply of happy accidents through its 90 modular patch points. Based on the vintage circuitry of classic Moog synthesizer modules, Matriarch is a catalyst for creative ideas and a medium for multidimensional expression.

Link: https://www.moogmusic.com/news/introducing-matriarch

Price: $2,000 USD for Moogfest Version

Availability: preorder open now from Guitar Center, more preorders open on the 30th - expected to ship 7/8/19
JohnLRice
Sounds quite good. Thankfully not something I need or want at the moment though. Mr. Green
SynthBaron
not this shit again
nectarios
lol at the price.
Moog will be Moog. Nice synth though. I'd just paint it black, all of it.
Although I'd never spend two grand for something like that, considering what other synths are around these days.
Kent
Looks like the Lines forum finally got a promotional video catered precisely to the houseplant and cat set. hihi

I’m sure they’ll still find something to complain about though.
ranix
houseplants need synthesizers too

Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.

I would play it, looks cool.
SynthBaron
Kent wrote:
Looks like the Lines forum finally got a promotional video catered precisely to the houseplant and cat set. hihi

Agony!
tioJim
It's a beast!

An expensive one though, not that anyone should be surprised by that.

What's up with Moog's naming department since the Little Phatty?

Great demos. Some talented ladies there.
The Junglechrist
It look a very nice synth to me ! I don't need it at all but the GAS is here for sure. Even at this price i'm sure they will sell those easy to all the people who already tried a Grandmother and liked it.
tioJim
What's with 'paraphonic' though? Does it mean 4 voice polyphony? As in, can I play 4 notes at once? With shared filter, EG etc. Never quite understood 'paraphonic' vs. 'polyphonic'.
nectarios
tioJim wrote:
What's with 'paraphonic' though? Does it mean 4 voice polyphony? As in, can I play 4 notes at once? With shared filter, EG etc. Never quite understood 'paraphonic' vs. 'polyphonic'.

Polyphonic involves a filter, envelope(s) and VCA, per voice.
tioJim
nectarios wrote:
tioJim wrote:

But you don't necessarily have control individually?

My OB-6 is 'polyphonic' but there's only one set of controls for say the filter. But does that mean there are 6 seperate filter circuits under the hood?
craigie77
Maybe a Moog PATRIARCH sequencer on the way, with extra control
nectarios
tioJim wrote:
nectarios wrote:
tioJim wrote:

My OB-6 is 'polyphonic' but there's only one set of controls for say the filter. But does that mean there are 6 seperate filter circuits under the hood?

Let's assume there is a patch where you have programmed an envelope, modulating the filter, when you press and hold the note down, you hear the envelope modulating the filter and staying at the sustain stage you have programmed.
Then when you press another note, another envelope (that shares the same settings) modulates the filter of *only* the new note you pressed, whilst the first note is still held at the sustain stage.
The same applies to the amp envelope (and amp).

Yes, your OB-6 has 6 filters, 6 sets of envelopes, 6 VCAs, 12 VCOs (2 per voice), under the hood.

This Moog has only one VCF, one set of envelopes, one VCA.
This is what I gather since I haven't actually read too much about this new Moog since its of no interest to me, so I could be mistaken.
tioJim
nectarios wrote:
tioJim wrote:
nectarios wrote:
tioJim wrote:

Let's assume there is a patch where you have programmed an envelope, modulating the filter, when you press and hold the note down, you hear the envelope modulating the filter and staying at the sustain stage you have programmed.
Then when you press another note, another envelope (that shares the same settings) modulates the filter of *only* the new note you pressed, whilst the first note is still held at the sustain stage.
The same applies to the amp envelope (and amp).

Yes, your OB-6 has 6 filters, 6 sets of envelopes, 6 VCAs under the hood.

This Moog has only one VCF, one set of envelopes, one VCA.
This is what I gather since I haven't actually read too much about this new Moog since its of no interest to me, so I could be mistaken.

Ah yes, that makes sense. Thanks smile
nectarios
This is one of the reasons that I think this is ridiculously overpriced, but that's like, my opinion.
Hermetech Mastering
Looks and sounds amazing, don't think it's too expensive, but don't really need one at the mo. Very tempting though! But more likely to go for an OB-6 at around that price.
beedogs
this is like a moog mono/poly, people should be extremely excited about this
Christopher Winkels
I confess I'm not hearing anything here that's prompting me to crack open my wallet.

And it's shot like a 15 minute advert for personal hygiene products.
nectarios
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
Looks and sounds amazing, don't think it's too expensive, but don't really need one at the mo. Very tempting though! But more likely to go for an OB-6 at around that price.

Exactly.

Also I find 2 pole filters to sound much better for poly sounds, most of the time anyway...but not always.
dubonaire
Kent wrote:

applause
starthief
Kent wrote:

Nah, they will just continue to be puzzled by the weird delusions people have about Lines.
GNSDG
Super cool. I’m really big into stereo and this is an interesting take on paraphony.

I don’t really see the point in raising price criticisms because value is so subjective, but especially weird to compare this to fixed architecture polys. I see this being a great base that you can build on w/ other modular for full patches really easily/intuitively. But then, I like keyboards. A lot.
nangu
What’s up with the panel art?

Mismatched Euro isn’t something that should be glorified, let alone faked with aggressively contrasting paint. Grayscale exists for a very good reason..

The most cynical part of me says that there will be a sweet-looking ‘all black’ version with a couple extra CV points for $800 more in a couple of years. It’ll be a limited-edition thing so everybody has to scramble for it, and all the people who bought this version will feel like they’ve been kicked square in the package.

I am disappointed that ‘cynical me’ is so frequently correct..
Hermetech Mastering
nangu wrote:

Mismatched Euro isn’t something that should be glorified, let alone faked with aggressively contrasting paint. Grayscale exists for a very good reason..

The most cynical part of me says that there will be a sweet-looking ‘all black’ version with a couple extra CV points for $800 more in a couple of years. It’ll be a limited-edition thing so everybody has to scramble for it, and all the people who bought this version will feel like they’ve been kicked square in the package.

Yes, must be a real pain having to judge so many others from the top of that ivory tower. Miley Cyrus
nectarios
nangu wrote:

Looks like there will be an all black option. Its right there at the far right of the product page.

I also don't like the colours, but they would not stop me from buying one if I actually wanted one.
ModusOp
I think it sounds delicious! And is that an analog delay built in? Sounds like it! w00t
nangu
I’m not seeing any ivory towers anywhere near me.

I questioned an obviously questionable aesthetic/marketing decision. I think it’s screaming-out-loud tacky. And I have no particular college affiliation.

I was very happy to hear that there will be an all-black option. Presumably for people who don’t wear their t-shirts on top of their sweatshirts and their boxers on top of their pants.
strettara
Kent wrote:

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Jason Brock
nangu wrote:

Same old conversation from the Grandmother thread. To each their own.

I love the look and I think the design choice is a reference to retro styling, not Eurorack. Mismatched Euro bothers me too, but that involves different knobs, uneven layout spacing...different everything. With the Moog all the elements are cohesive, the only difference is color in certain sections.

ModusOp wrote:
And is that an analog delay built in? Sounds like it! w00t

The description at Guitar Center says "stereo analog delay", and here's a picture of that section:
PIC
Pretty cool feature to include, given the price of their pedal delays. Appears to have separate CV control for Left/Right delay channels. This is fun!
aroom
Kent wrote:

Do we need more adversity in this world?

The synth looks great !
ModusOp
Jason Brock wrote:
ModusOp wrote:
And is that an analog delay built in? Sounds like it! w00t

The description at Guitar Center says "stereo analog delay", and here's a picture of that section:
PIC
Pretty cool feature to include, given the price of their pedal delays. Appears to have separate CV control for Left/Right delay channels. This is fun!

Wow! Totally cool addition!

If I didn't just get a couple of Euro cases to fill, I might have considered throwing down some coinage for this! (Would be tough to decide between the standard and all black version though.)
corpusjonsey
Kent wrote:

This is mean. Please keep comments like this to yourself.
meistersmudge
Looks and sounds really nice. Not something I see myself purchasing, especially at $2k, but I bet people will be excited and make some really great stuff with it.
Kent
starthief wrote:
Kent wrote:

Nah, they will just continue to be puzzled by the weird delusions people have about Lines.

I'm sure that either a fitting narrative will be constructed or a narrative will be group-thought to fit.
Do tell of our collective delusions that you've discovered.

aroom wrote:

Do we need more adversity in this world?

What's wrong with a little adversity? It keeps things from becoming moribund. What in my playful commentary about the self-professed (by some) houseplant crowd has caused you alarm?

corpusjonsey wrote:

I challenge you on your definition of "mean". I don't think that I'll limit my expressions in jest based upon the advice of someone that doesn't come across as being fun at a comedy show.

FFS, Worriers; there are people ON LINES that call themselves the houseplant crowd. What some people will waste time fretting about...
Funch
corpusjonsey wrote:
Kent wrote:

might be a reaction to a lines member saying muffwigglers were not welcome there.

Human behavior gets complicated. I would say the thing about your comment, keep it to yourself, however then I would also fall into that category of maybe I should have kept this comment to myself.

Fwiw, Don't like the new moog color schemes.
thevegasnerve
JohnLRice wrote:
Sounds quite good. Thankfully not something I need or want at the moment though. Mr. Green

tell me about it... I picked up a used Sub 37 on Muffs, I will roll with that.. This is fun! It's peanut butter jelly time! cool
cycad73
Kent wrote:
FFS, Worriers; there are people ON LINES that call themselves the houseplant crowd. What some people will waste time fretting about...

What is your evidence of this?
SynthBaron
craigie77 wrote:
Maybe a Moog PATRIARCH sequencer on the way, with extra control

Wow dude, that's so offensive.
mome rath
lordy that sounds good

anybody know who that is playing the second song?

edit: guess I skipped the first part where they introduce all the players by name razz
nectarios
What's "Lines forum" ?
*edit* nevermind, found it.
Kent
cycad73 wrote:

What is your evidence of this?

Searching for "houseplant" or "house plant" on Lines would be the DIY route.

However:

nangu
Am I ok if my houseplants are potentially hybrids?

And tasty? And maybe weapons? Bhut Jolokia x Trinidad Scorpion Peppers.
SynthBaron
Maybe they wanted to name it "Wendy", but were afraid of being sued.

I mean, the vinyl album and magazine in the background might be obvious clues to that...
mome rath
nangu wrote:
Am I ok if my houseplants are potentially hybrids?

And tasty? And maybe weapons? Bhut Jolokia x Trinidad Scorpion Peppers.

send me some seeds love
nangu
They’ll pry my peppers from my cold dead hands.

I do have lots of seeds available. We should have had this conversation a couple months ago, but yeah. I probably have enough seeds to go around. It’s just getting really late to be planting.
nangu
If anybody wants some terrifyingly hot pepper seeds, send me a PM.

Bhut Jolokia is scary hot. Trinidad Scorpions are at least 10x hotter.

I had both growing in the same giant pot last year, so it’s quite possible that they naturally hybridized. I saved seeds from both, and kept them separated.
sduck
Hmmm, saw this video last night and was immediately intriqued. It's definitely got a great sound, and some cool tech behind the patch points and making that all work polyphonically (or paraphonically or whatever). I'm not totally thrilled by the look, but could work around that. The price seems a bit high - I guess there's a bit of moog name tax built in - it seems to me you can get similarly featured 8 voice synths for about the same price point, although using the term "similarly featured" opens up all kinds of questions.

I was at the moog factory 2 weeks ago, and got to spend some quality time with a One, and now really seriously want one. But will need to sell off a few other synths to afford it. The thought crossed my mid - would this thing be a jones fix for the One? Probably not, but it's a thought.
jcn7
While this looks to be another winner from Moog, I'm perfectly content in keeping my Granny along with a couple of my smaller Eurorack systems that expand Granny's pallet of sounds immensely.

Also, to be honest, I'm much more intrigued with the Arturia Micro Freak and plan on purchasing one of those once it's available.

Just my 2 cents, but hey great job Moog music, and I hope you sell a lot of these. thumbs up
starthief
Kent wrote:
Do tell of our collective delusions that you've discovered.

No need, you've posted plenty of them already, and it would be off-topic in this thread smile

Anyway... to me the synth sounds okay, just like their last several synths based on "the vintage circuitry of classic Moog synthesizer modules" sounded okay... and just like Behringer's clones or NI Monark sounded okay.

I'd like to see bolder designs emerge from those minds, and I don't just mean bright colors. More like like the Subharmonicon, Theremini, etc.
SteeVtheRipper
Wow this was not on my radar at all! Glad I haven’t pulled the trigger on the Grandmother yet.

I think I’m ok with the features for the price. I haven’t seen the full spec list but given what the Gma has and what I can see from the panels I think it’s well featured. Sure for 2k you can get a Rev2 or other poly synths but I don’t think the value here is in the polyphony. I can’t think of any other all analog patchable 4 note paraphonic synths. I have a Dominion 1, that all said and done was about $1600 for a 3 note paraphonic synth. I love it. What it has in dedicated panel features the Matriarch makes up for in patch ability. And while the Dominion 1 has presets, I find I spend more time just exploring, so the lack of them on the Matriarch doesn’t bother me. And I will happily take the Matriarch’s 49 keys over the 37 on the Dom 1. I like the immediacy and fleeting nature of the limitations of a synth without patch memory. I don’t compare this to a Rev 2 I compare this more to a Voyager, or even a Model D. It’s a really interesting choice and a fabulous center piece for a modular rig. I personally LOVE all the colors, there’s enough black synths out there, and my home is very colorful (with lots of plants) and it will fit right in.

Now the only problem is this will take $2k away from my Moog One fund!
pre55ure
beedogs wrote:

Except I don't think it really is?
The appealing thing about the mono/poly (to me) is the ability to set up 4 different sounding parts and then cycle through them, and I don't think the Matriarch will really be able to do that.

I like it. And I fall into the crowd that actually likes how it looks. I'd be tempted to get one if I had the space.

And BTW, whats wrong with house plants and cats? I like those too. hihi
gringostar
I was really interested in this when I saw that you can use the dual HP/LP filters in either parallel, stereo, or series which means all kinds of MS-20 goodness but with Moog filters & oscillators... then looked at the filter section and noticed that they don't have cutoff frequency control for each filter. very frustrating
mush
gringostar wrote:
I was really interested in this when I saw that you can use the dual HP/LP filters in either parallel, stereo, or series which means all kinds of MS-20 goodness but with Moog filters & oscillators... then looked at the filter section and noticed that they don't have cutoff frequency control for each filter. very frustrating

They have spacing. That's controlling how far one filter is from the other, basically a separate cutoff for one of the filters...
mamsk
i mean, i think this looks wonderful and i can't wait to use it alongside my GM. just gotta sell some lame guitar shit first
Jruss993
I really don’t need one... but I really want one! Pretty expensive but I’m sure there are reasons behind it. It would be a great addition for someone who has a small euro system. Would really open up a small 84hp system.
swannodette
gringostar wrote:

There are two cutoff in patch points. I would assume you could patch an attenuverter into the second one so you can have two independent knobs.
SweetNuthin
Is this a limited edition release or not? i really hope not because it's really interesting
SteeVtheRipper
I really like what Moog has been doing the last few years. It seems like not that long ago they had only the Voyager, the Taurus, the Lil Phatty, and a slew of pedals. I was scratching my head wondering what the heck they were doing over there. Perhaps they were a little slow to catch on, but in just a few years they have reissued all of the classic modulars, the Model D, greatly expanded the Phatty line, put out a new monster poly, and dove head first into the semi modular/euro community in a very fun and engaging way. Talk about a turn around. Love it! While I’m no Moog fan boy (I consider them a great option among many) I feel like this revival of theirs is fostering a love that I imagine they fostered for those who experienced their initial hay day. So many of their past synths are special to people because they were the synths they grew up on and loved. I feel like we are getting to fall in love with them all over again, a generation later.
booger
beedogs wrote:

Will the Matriarch cycle through its oscillators in arp mode (like a MonoPoly)?
calaveras
What are they smoking in NC?
This name is just kinda dumb. Names like Taurus, Prodigy Jupiter and Juno. Those make you want to buy them. Names like Matriarch remind me of America's bizarre obsession with the British royal family.

The Place / Time / Memory stuff has to be the most pretentious synth launch ever.
maxwellravitz
pre55ure wrote:
beedogs wrote:

Except I don't think it really is?
The appealing thing about the mono/poly (to me) is the ability to set up 4 different sounding parts and then cycle through them, and I don't think the Matriarch will really be able to do that.

As someone who has already worked with it a bunch, I know for a fact it can do the round robin style movement that the mono/poly does. It goes beyond the monopoly too, in that you have two filters to move around in the stereo field while cycling through the different oscillators. Plus the patch points really open things up.

Also I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but there definitely is not an all black version planned...
SteeVtheRipper
Wait a second. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is really a 5 oscillator synth if you have the Modultion LFO track the keyboard. Maybe 6 if the simple LFO can too. Maybe 7 if you include the Filter self oscillation.
Rex Coil 7
I hope "NuMoog" equipped this synth with a better power connector setup than the Grandmother uses.
Rex Coil 7
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
Wait a second. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is really a 5 oscillator synth if you have the Modultion LFO track the keyboard. Maybe 6 if the simple LFO can too. Maybe 7 if you include the Filter self oscillation.
Maybe 58 if you patch 51 VCOs from a modular cab to it.

Or perhaps take on "Look Mum No Computer" and patch 100 VCOs to it!!!

meh meh meh
Rex Coil 7
Kent wrote:
... FFS, Worriers; there are people ON LINES that call themselves the houseplant crowd. What some people will waste time fretting about...
No shit. How to ride the tall horse ... the Defenders of one and all!!

meh

Sermon over. Back to what matters .... Moog's new synth.

Meh ... a 4 note semi-mod para ... I'm sure it will fit nicely in many folks' rigs. Do I need one? Not in a day. If I did need something like it, would I buy one? Hmm .. well, I would certainly shop the hell out of the archetype among the other $2K poly/paras out there, that's certain. I think a better question might be "If I were to have only one keyboard equipped synth would I buy one?" The FATAR TP/9 keybed is worth about $450.00 all by itself, which for me is a big deal. So "YES" ... I suppose. Added up, it's a pretty nice package for the one keyboard synth system.

To put a bit of context on it all, my 5oct Dot Com kybd (with dual 20 inch ribbons, sprung joystick, pair of wheels, walnut sides and top) was about $2,500 all said and done.

thumbs up
gringostar
swannodette wrote:
gringostar wrote:

There are two cutoff in patch points. I would assume you could patch an attenuverter into the second one so you can have two independent knobs.

I couldn't see the labels of the patch points clearly so hopefully that's true. The spacing control is interesting since you can setup both filters like a notch or bandpass filter, but dedicated independent control of cutoff frequencies is what I would want and having to use an attenuverter for it wouldn't be ideal is better than nothing.

It having a round robin mono/poly voice allocation though makes it much more tempting to pickup.
EPTC
Jruss993 wrote:
I really want one!
Pretty expensive but I’m sure there are reasons behind it.

Ha, if those two sentences are separate parts of a math equation, I think Moog anticipates one sentence equating justification of the other.
plogbidman
The GrandMother didn't quite do it for me.
But that Matriach is exactly what i was waiting for, a great semi-modular synth from Moog with paraphony (4 independent vco in that synth !!!) and a delay at a good price.
Now, i am just waiting the day i can buy it. Mr. Green
Muse FTW
maxwellravitz wrote:

As someone who has already worked with it a bunch, I know for a fact it can do the round robin style movement that the mono/poly does. It goes beyond the monopoly too, in that you have two filters to move around in the stereo field while cycling through the different oscillators. Plus the patch points really open things up.

Also I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but there definitely is not an all black version planned...

Wow, that's awesome to hear. I just got a Mono/Poly but would never consider taking it out to shows. Something like this though, most definitely. w00t
Moog$FooL$
beefed up granny mother with the same shitty colour scheme???
rowsbywoof
Logical release after the success of the Grandmother, but I still can't help but feel it's priced a bit on the high end. $2,000 isn't completely nuts, here, but I think the level of competition at that price is pretty steep. I know if I was in the market for a new poly, and I had $2,000 to throw at my problem... The Matriarch would have to really blow me away at that configuration.

Then again, I'm not a modular user, so the patch points are a nice bit of extra, but not something I'd integrate into a larger system currently. For someone who is heavy in the modular category, this might be irresistible.
umma gumma
I think it is pretty cool, and is a logical progression from the GM

assumed they might call it "great grandmother", but maybe that's in the works too?

The graphics and marketing are very smart, IMO: I have had several girls comment favourably on the GM, and in such a ( perceived? maybe it isn't, but it sure seems to be...) male dominated hobby, appealing to that segment is a wise move

I can just imagine the marketing meeting: "ok folks: how can we appeal to a wider market than old, eccentric, bearded dudes? "

grin

I just wish it had dedicated octave buttons, above the keyboard. But maybe it doesn't need them, since it's longer than the GM
JohnLRice
mome rath wrote:
lordy that sounds good

edit: guess I skipped the first part where they introduce all the players by name razz
thumbs up we're not worthy Sarah Schachner! I wasn't familiar with her at all but what she did in the demo really stood out for me so I looked her up and found her stuff on SoundCloud. She's done some very impressive video game soundtracks as well as TV and movie soundtracks:
https://soundcloud.com/sarahschachner

The way she combines synths with symphonic strings, brass, and percussion is fantastic IMHO! love Her Call Of Duty video game soundtrack would be at home and perfect for any big budget Hollywood sci-fi or action movie. She's now easily in my top 10 favorite soundtrack composers and I've only known about here for a day! lol I need to stop listening to her stuff . . . I have a show tomorrow I need to get ready for! d'oh! hihi
[s]https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/289370526[/s]
[s]https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/291570594[/s]
JohnLRice
maxwellravitz wrote:
Just for fun though, here's a photo-shopped grey scale version I made since I was curious as to how it would look Mr. Green
EPTC
JohnLRice wrote:
Just for fun though, here's a photo-shopped grey scale version I made since I was curious as to how it would look Mr. Green

WOW - WAY NICER JOHN! - The purple in the new thing really annoyed me. I love this grey one!
electricfence
JohnLRice wrote:
maxwellravitz wrote:

Honestly, with the name "Matriarch," it seems mostly grey wouldn't be out of place. (And this photoshopped image looks great.)
dubonaire
umma gumma wrote:
assumed they might call it "great grandmother", but maybe that's in the works too?

I just assumed matriarch meant great grandmother. I also thought it referenced women in power, which is the zeitgeist.
rew_
a thread simultaneously ribbing lines for being the houseplant forum while stereotypically demanding every synth be gray or black, you love to see it
Christopher Winkels
calaveras wrote:
What are they smoking in NC?
This name is just kinda dumb. Names like Taurus, Prodigy Jupiter and Juno. Those make you want to buy them. Names like Matriarch remind me of America's bizarre obsession with the British royal family.

The Place / Time / Memory stuff has to be the most pretentious synth launch ever.

I'm sure the Moog Dowager Countess and Moog Spinster Aunt are just around the corner.
1986Bowler
Whooooo! Neat.

I'm in the camp that enjoys a colourful synth- but man, that 2K USD price tag in Canadian bucks is gonna hurt like a mother. A matriarch, if you will...

I like it, I'd like to have it, but it might wind up being too rich for my blood...

Oh, Moog- why must you be so expensive, and yet so desirable?
EPTC
rew_ wrote:
a thread simultaneously ribbing lines for being the houseplant forum while stereotypically demanding every synth be gray or black, you love to see it

Happier?

Modulus
Wow, so many patch points. I’m going to go against the grain and say that I like the look and colors of this synth. Looks fun af to wiggle on.
rowsbywoof
Holy Molly... Finally got to watching the entire promo video. First thought, it does sound a lot better than I thought it would... Second, there was quite a shock in seeing my building prominently featured in the last few seconds of this video... So... Moog... We normally require a fee for featuring the building in commercials, television, and movies... But, if you want to send a Matriarch I think we can settle up. hihi
diller
SweetNuthin wrote:
Is this a limited edition release or not? i really hope not because it's really interesting

I was told at the Moog pop up factory today that it is a limited release of 250 units. If you buy one at Moogfest it will ship in 2-3 weeks. If all 250 sell at Moogfest they will not fill online orders. If they don't sell all 250 at Moogfest and you preordered one at guitarcenter.com they will ship in July. I asked if they will do more after the 250 and was told it would be at least 6 to 8 months after they sell the 250 if they decide to make more. I think I might buy one tomorrow. Sounded so much better in headphones than it does on the promotional video they put out. The delay is nanners .
rowsbywoof
diller wrote:
SweetNuthin wrote:

I was told at the Moog pop up factory today that it is a limited release of 250 units. If you buy one at Moogfest it will ship in 2-3 weeks. If all 250 sell at Moogfest they will not fill online orders. If they don't sell all 250 at Moogfest and you preordered one at guitarcenter.com they will ship in July. I asked if they will do more after the 250 and was told it would be at least 6 to 8 months after they sell the 250 if they decide to make more. I think I might buy one tomorrow. Sounded so much better in headphones than it does on the promotional video they put out. The delay is nanners .

Hmmm... Everything online says 250 units limited edition, but for the Moogfest version which is serialized and has the special badge. I think the person who told you that misunderstood. It's doubtful they'll make anymore Moogfest Editions, but there will most definitely be more Matriarchs for sale after the initial 250 sell.
dubonaire
rew_ wrote:

Diversity lives! Or maybe you think threads have minds of their own. Could be.
SynthBaron
I'll wait for the purple & black Suit And Tie Guy! edition.
SynthBaron
I'm disappointed there's no spring reverb in it like the Grandmother.
umma gumma
well, the control panel is just a sticker....so it would be easy to custom design your own, get it printed, and stick it on there
rew_
dubonaire wrote:
rew_ wrote:

swing...and a miss
Gaetan
Wow, I think it sounds amazing. Great concept too, I'm really impressed at what Moog has been doing this last decade. It really looks like a lot of fun, especially combined with more modular gear. I don't even find the price tag so bad considering the features (not that I can afford it).
As for the look I hated the Grandmother when it was released, but now it has grown on me and I actually think it looks really engaging, it's a great blend of vintage and modern. They seem to have put a lot of work into usability, the whole machine looks really thought through. Every "module" is very clearly distinguishable from the others in shape and colour, while keeping a very coherent look and feel.
strettara
EPTC wrote:
rew_ wrote:

Happier?

Awesome.
dubonaire
rew_ wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
rew_ wrote:

swing...and a miss

Oh really. This thread has about as many posts liking the colour as disliking the colour. Why don't you talk about the synth rather than critique the thread? Do people even do that anymore? I guess they do. Maybe the thread should be split into a thread about the colour, a thread about plants, and a thread about lines. seriously, i just don't get it

On topic, I think the synth sounds great, I like the colours, and I especially like Sarah Schachner!
nectarios
rew_ wrote:

That would be the case, if most people in this thread did not say they love the color... but most people in the thread did mention that they love the color.
Let alone that there are 0 people "demanding" a grey or black synth, other than a few posts, in the 4 pages so far, where people expressed their distaste for the color scheme.
SweetNuthin
rowsbywoof wrote:
diller wrote:
SweetNuthin wrote:

Hmmm... Everything online says 250 units limited edition, but for the Moogfest version which is serialized and has the special badge. I think the person who told you that misunderstood. It's doubtful they'll make anymore Moogfest Editions, but there will most definitely be more Matriarchs for sale after the initial 250 sell.

wasnt something similar done for the Grandmother and the Model D? a few "limited edition" version for the Moogfest and then a few months later the wide release?

I hope it's not 250 and that's it because it would be a Huuuuuuuuuge mistake from Moog.
nectarios
I reckon this will sell well and it will go in full production.
Granted its based on the Grandmother so they built up from that, I still don't think they went into the trouble of making the Matriarch, only to quickly sell 250 units, which I believe will go very fast.
Maybe the marketing department wants to make sure they go fast and create a buzz, so people grow an appetite for the product.

Time will tell.
darmklacht@gmail.com
That looks like a lot of fun! a lot...

and wouldent another word for voltage controlled attenuator just be a VCA?

srsly never
SynthBaron
nectarios wrote:
I still don't think they went into the trouble of making the Matriarch, only to quickly sell 250 units, which I believe will go very fast.

It would be pretty dumb to invest all the engineering resources and tooling if you're only going to make that small amount for such a large worldwide company they are now.
booger
I want one. Unfortunately, I’ll have to wait until Sweetwater does one of its ‘48mo/same as cash’ promotions (if they decide to make more units).
Xmit
Quote:
wasnt something similar done for the Grandmother and the Model D? a few "limited edition" version for the Moogfest and then a few months later the wide release?

I hope it's not 250 and that's it because it would be a Huuuuuuuuuge mistake from Moog.

Quote:

It would be pretty dumb to invest all the engineering resources and tooling if you're only going to make that small amount for such a large worldwide company they are now.

Don't worry. news next week. I know the UK RRP too for the standard edition but I'd better not say. smile
Blairio
I think this is the love-child of a tryst between a Dreadbox Erebus and a Moog Grandmother, capturing the best bits of both.

If it can do everything a Grandmother can, then I'll sell my GM and get on the waiting list. That's the expensive option.

The affordable option is to run one if my 4 voice polysynths (like my DSI Tetra) through the GM and see how close that gets. Looking forward to that experiment!

Colours are great, so is the larger keyboard. This is the first poly (ok para) phonic synth I have got excited about in a while. The fact that it will coordinate well with my tortoiseshell cat and array of spider plants is an unexpected bonus.
zeit
Not that I have the cash anyway, but definitely would pass on this....yeah, the name is kind of retarded (promo too) but more than anything I don't see them doing anything new or innovative with this.
Hermetech Mastering
Blairio wrote:
If it can do everything a Grandmother can...

No spring reverb
Xmit
^

yeah it's the spring reverb bit that's killing the idea a swap for me...

it's weird, because when I got my GM I thought the reverb would be the least interesting bit & I'd hardly use it....

Wrong. wrong. wrong. It's amazing - never have I experienced an 'effect' as such an integrated part of an instrument before.... It's not just reverb, it becomes a living breathing part of the patch.

Not sure I could lose that...
Pav
For room space reasons, the minitaur and mother 32 format gave me a way in to enjoy a Moog experience without proliferation of keyboard synths. I'm not a fan ( understatement...Im ex product marketing ) of the new colour scheme / naming but If a version without key bed were to follow, and resold in EU /UK I would v. likely get my wallet out.
Hermetech Mastering
Xmit wrote:
^

yeah it's the spring reverb bit that's killing the idea a swap for me...

it's weird, because when I got my GM I thought the reverb would be the least interesting bit & I'd hardly use it....

Wrong. wrong. wrong. It's amazing - never have I experienced an 'effect' as such an integrated part of an instrument before.... It's not just reverb, it becomes a living breathing part of the patch.

Not sure I could lose that...

Indeed, may have to end up with both, would look great on a double stand together and could be patched together very easily.
chiasticon
sduck wrote:
I was at the moog factory 2 weeks ago, and got to spend some quality time with a One, and now really seriously want one. But will need to sell off a few other synths to afford it. The thought crossed my mid - would this thing be a jones fix for the One? Probably not, but it's a thought.

my hope is that one of their next products is a 6 voice proper polyphonic synth, based on the sound of the GM/Matriarch, but more like a Juno/Polysix (one each of lfo/osc/sub/vcf/vca/env). I think there's a price/feature gap between the One and Matriarch that could be filled.

also, count me in for one who likes the colors. thumbs up
Xmit
^
yeah - this sounds good to me - it's what I hoped Moog would bring out really, a basic 6 voice poly. No FX, splits, layers & all that hokum on the One - just a standard 2 VCO per voice true poly.

Having said that... what I'd like for moog to do really is go back to the RME concept : I'd almost certainly buy a matriarch RME - I just don't want another keyboard. I realise there are lots of patch points on the Matriarch, but they managed to shrink the Voyager into a RME didn't they...
mome rath
JohnLRice wrote:
mome rath wrote:
lordy that sounds good

thumbs up we're not worthy Sarah Schachner! I wasn't familiar with her at all but what she did in the demo really stood out for me so I looked her up and found her stuff on SoundCloud.

thanks john
looks like the lady i was getting jazzed up about is paris strother @ 4:05

so I missed both 1) the names at the beginning and 2) the fact that she was the third, not second player

Coffee Addiction FTW
anselmi
at first sight this synth could be expensive, but if you compare what you get against other options I don´t think it is

Mono/polys are about $1600, even more when professionally serviced...no MIDI, no modular connectivity, mono filter...sounds lovely, but this one too!

eurorack stereo filters are also expensive stuff and people jumped over them without complain...I know some of them have more functionality than this one but a stereo Moog multimode filter is something that I don´t mark as a bad option

2 envelopes, 4 oscillators, stereo analog delay...how much a mono moogerfooger cost?

also a 4-octave keyboard with velocity and pressure that you can use with your other CV equipment...same for the arpeggiator/sequencer

of course at, say, $1500 it would be amazing and of course there´s a lot of cheaper and excellent products, but there is a lot of more expensive stuff out there that have even less features than this one
gringostar
anselmi wrote:
at first sight this synth could be expensive, but if you compare what you get against other options I don´t think it is

Mono/polys are about $1600, even more when professionally serviced...no MIDI, no modular connectivity, mono filter...sounds lovely, but this one too!

eurorack stereo filters are also expensive stuff and people jumped over them without complain...I know some of them have more functionality than this one but a stereo Moog multimode filter is something that I don´t mark as a bad option

2 envelopes, 4 oscillators, stereo analog delay...how much a mono moogerfooger cost?

also a 4-octave keyboard with velocity and pressure that you can use with your other CV equipment...same for the arpeggiator/sequencer

of course at, say, $1500 it would be amazing and of course there´s a lot of cheaper and excellent products, but there is a lot of more expensive stuff out there that have even less features than this one

Also the Grandmother has seen a recent price drop to $800 so I could see the Matriarch dropping to $1600-$1800 in a year or so if you don't mind waiting a bit.
damase
this thing looks amazing really. love the sound, love the colors, i think the price isnt bad either... more comparable to a matrixbrute for the modulation possibilities(which is the strong point imo), slightly less immediacy of course but almost identical pricing too and with the ‘moog sound’. its innovative, intruiging...

if moog released that quad oscillator as a euro module they would make a killing.
wminor
well, for me this really hits the spot, so much so that I just put in a preorder! It's lucky timing for me that I happen to be able to do that at the moment.

I had been eyeing up the Grandmother, but the stereo filter and stereo analog delay are what really swings this for me. I agree it's a shame that it doesn't have the spring reverb though.
tioJim
mome rath wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
mome rath wrote:
lordy that sounds good

thumbs up we're not worthy Sarah Schachner! I wasn't familiar with her at all but what she did in the demo really stood out for me so I looked her up and found her stuff on SoundCloud.

looks like the lady i was getting jazzed up about is paris strother @ 4:05

The three women in the promo are awesome and their studio spaces are beautiful.
1986Bowler
Oh, forgot one thing...

The name. It's... interesting. Probably the most unusual name I can think of for a synth off the top of my head.

What's gonna be the name of the next one they make?
SynthBaron
1986Bowler wrote:

Schoolmarm.
Blairio
SynthBaron wrote:
1986Bowler wrote:

Schoolmarm.

Moog MILF.

..where MILF stands for Multiple independent Lowpass Filters

of course!
MindMachine
So glad Muffs has a better sense of humour than Gearslutz.

When the color scheme and name of a synth are it's most criticized attributes, you know it is a winner.

In 18 months or so, Moog has released Grandmother, Sirin, One and Matriarch not to mention the Spectral Shift. A small company that designs and builds their own stuff (including pedals, theremins, etc.)

So much to bitch and moan about. Prices, color, availability. I guess the Internet is just like thinking out loud... like I am.

If I was more of a keyboard player, with modular or semi-modular aspirations, then this would be a must. Good features. Good price. Good lord.
Josef_K
I think it sounds great, especially for pads I guess and whenever you don't need the individual release times as much. This certainly beats any custom configuration of poly/paraphonic Euro 4-voice I can think of (and the Lord knows I've thought alot about those). I was convinced this was the synth for me when I first heard it. Together with my GM (for lead and/or bass) and eurorack (for complex modulation and routing), this seemed to complete the puzzle.

But it only took me a day to question myself once again. I really like the waveshaping in the Moog One oscillators, and the Matriarch is very limited here, although great sounding. The Moog One is over the top for sure, but for me, maybe I'd rather save three times the money and actually have a shot at not thinking "oh I wish I could do this...".

Now Amos does mention in a live stream that this new Moog One oscillator design is kind of the main achievement of the synth, and that they'll continue to use it. Imagine a 6-voice true polyphonic synth with 49 FATAR keys, 2 Moog One oscillators per voice, Moog ladder 4/2 pole filter, 2 LFO:s, 2 full ADSR:s and a third loopable AD/AR for modulation and no internal effects. Modulation matrix like in the One of course. As someone said there's a gap between the Matriarch and the 8-voice One. Maybe I should wait for something like this to fill that gap.
tioJim
1986Bowler wrote:
Oh, forgot one thing...

The name. It's... interesting. Probably the most unusual name I can think of for a synth off the top of my head.

Moog's naming's been a bit random since the 'Little Phatty' which for me only ever evoked images of tumescent male genitalia which probably doesn't say much for my state of mind but nonetheless

Mother, Grandmother, Matriarch. I guess 'Great Grandmother' was too long to silk screen.
Stereotactixxx
I love the sound, I love the feature set, I love the name, and I have since the Grandmother learned to kind of really like the aesthetics.

It shouldn't be a top priority for me, but man, do I want one!
bwhittington
EPTC wrote:

I would buy that synth no matter what it sounded like.
umma gumma
Blairio wrote:

Moog MILF.

..where MILF stands for Multiple independent Lowpass Filters

of course!

hahaha, brilliant!
beedogs
zeit wrote:
Not that I have the cash anyway, but definitely would pass on this....yeah, the name is kind of retarded (promo too) but more than anything I don't see them doing anything new or innovative with this.

you know, I can kinda see why lines exists when this kind of crap infests threads here so often.
SynthBaron
beedogs wrote:
zeit wrote:

you know, I can kinda see why lines exists when this kind of crap infests threads here so often.

Wow, people can't even fart in here anymore without someone implying this place is inherently toxic.
beedogs
I mean, maybe don't use ableist slurs hmmm..... it's not tough to not be rude seriously, i just don't get it

This place has the reputation it has, for a reason...
SynthBaron
beedogs wrote:
I mean, maybe don't use ableist slurs

Seriously, what?
Neo
beedogs wrote:
I mean, maybe don't use ableist slurs hmmm..... it's not tough to not be rude seriously, i just don't get it

This place has the reputation it has, for a reason...

This place has a reputation for being a friendly and infinitely rewarding forum.
You might be getting confused with another forum: www.gearslutz.com
That would be a better place to start a flame war cool

In the meantime. Moog Matriarch... rock on.
For those waiting for the in-the-gap-between-One-and-Matriarch... it's unlikely that there'll be anything with:
A - the awesome 1974 Moog Modular circuits
B - 90 patch points
So I'd say go for the Matriarch
booger
So, is the Matriarch limited to 250 units or is that the beginning run? Also, does anyone know if all 250 sold at Moogfest? I pre-ordered one from GC but might cancel my order if it won’t ship in July (assuming they’re producing more than 250).
h4ndcrafted
I can’t decide between this or 10 Behringer crave synths hmmm.....

anselmi
h4ndcrafted wrote:

I think that there is something true about that this is an instrument where the important thing is the combination of several parts in one product, because, the 90 patchpoints alone is nothing compared with what you could get combining other semi-modular synths, like your 10 Craves or a mix bag of several synths that you can get today for this money

Also, the paraphony feature is, again, a joke compared with, say, a REV-2, or even a Minilogue

And the Moog signature sound, well, you get this with the GM alone, that is less than half the price. Hey! if you leave paraphony out of the equation you can get 2 GM and have similar features (and 2x spring reverbs)

So the selling point is the combo of stuff that you could get in just one package. I don´t know that it´s the right synth for somebody that just needs one of this stuff alone.
colossus
SynthBaron wrote:
beedogs wrote:

Seriously, what?

Surely, you know to what they're referring.
SynthBaron
colossus wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
beedogs wrote:

Seriously, what?

Nope, I'm terribly retarded when it comes to decoding passive-aggressive speech.
colossus
You're a swell person.
nangu
The things that set Matriach apart aren’t anything that I’m particularly looking for right now. I’m not the target audience. So I probably shouldn’t have commented on the aesthetics. My opinion is meaningless.

I watch so many nature documentaries that I can’t hear the word ‘Matriarch’ without relating it to elephants. The wisdom that is passed down from mother to daughter in their tribes is amazing. How to find water in the dry season, where and when ripe fruit can be found, the most efficient paths to get from one to the other.. Perhaps that’s also irrelevant, but it’s really cool.
SynthBaron
colossus wrote:
You're a swell person.

I don't understand why you still can't point out what I said was wrong. I'm not some mental midget, but it's not clear at all to me.
dubonaire
SynthBaron wrote:
colossus wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
beedogs wrote:

Seriously, what?

Nope, I'm terribly retarded when it comes to decoding passive-aggressive speech.

The term retarded is considered to be derogatory, however it is generally regarded as derogatory when used to describe people with intellectual disabilities. From my perspective it is much ruder to make snide passive aggressive comments and disrupt a conversation about synths by causing conflict. If these people really wanted to effect change they could send you a polite PM, so you have to wonder what their agenda is.
Nelson Baboon
i have a grandmother (the synth, of course. I strangled my real grandmother many years ago).

i think that the thing is just fantastic. perhaps the most pure fun synth (obviously also pure subjectivity) I've ever owned.

I can't get through threads like this anymore. I"ll assume the usual - lots of people with no experience with the grandmother talking about how much this will suck, etc.

good god, how can I find the space and $ for this?
umma gumma
yeah I agree; am looking forward to trying one out

unf they won't be available up here, for probably another year?

oh well. At least I learned something about elephants, that was pretty interesting

I wonder if the spacing is CV controllable?

the new moog site doesn't work with my deprecated computer, can't look
dubonaire
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I can't get through threads like this anymore. I"ll assume the usual - lots of people with no experience with the grandmother talking about how much this will suck, etc.

Actually almost everyone says it sounds great.
Funch
colossus wrote:
You're a swell person.
he sure is. He recently rebulked someone in another thread. Seems he didn't agree with them or something.

His words of wisdom.
Quote:"And this is a really shitty time and place to even bring this dumb idea up."
beedogs
SynthBaron wrote:
colossus wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:
beedogs wrote:

Seriously, what?

my first block. cool!
SynthBaron
dubonaire wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Actually almost everyone says it sounds great.

I'm almost wishing they would start making Eurorack modules with the guts from this stuff.
sduck
Ok, enough. Back on topic or this gets locked. No more off topic bs.
Blairio
Nelson Baboon wrote:
i have a grandmother (the synth, of course. I strangled my real grandmother many years ago).

i think that the thing is just fantastic. perhaps the most pure fun synth (obviously also pure subjectivity) I've ever owned.

I agree. I was an early adopter of the Moog GM (when they were full price) and have not regretted it. I wonder whether the GM keyboard outputs polyphony over midi? If it does I'm going to hook mine up to a polyphonic sound source (like my JU-06), and run that - with the JU-06 filter wide open - into the Grandmother's external input. It won't be stereo, but it should give something of what the Matriarch offers,
MindMachine
edit -
Blairio wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I agree. I was an early adopter of the Moog GM (when they were full price) and have not regretted it. I wonder whether the GM keyboard outputs polyphony over midi? If it does I'm going to hook mine up to a polyphonic sound source (like my JU-06), and run that - with the JU-06 filter wide open - into the Grandmother's external input. It won't be stereo, but it should give something of what the Matriarch offers,

I think Moog has been killing it. Grandmother, Sirin, One and Matriarch. For a small outfit it is very impressive.

I watched a bunch of demos today and thought that an Arturia MicroFreak and a Moog Matriarch would cover a lot of ground. Maybe add a little mono like a Basstation 2 or something and it would be pretty encompassing.

But I will buy more modular.
makhho
I prefer the sound of roland/yamaha/sequential, however this does sound impressive.
I'm glad I held off on grabbing a grandmother/prodigy/MG-1 because this might be my first Moog.
Hermetech Mastering
Blairio wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I agree on the GM too, it's the best mono synth I have ever owned, in 30 years of owning mono synths...

And yes, it does output regular polyphonic MIDI from the keyboard. It's the only keyboard in my studio so I've been using it via USB MIDI to my PC and REAPER to control polyphonic soft synths, no problem.

I waited until the GM was widely available and slightly cheaper than the starting price, here in Paris, and I shall probably do the same with the Matriarch. It'll be fun watching the reviews and YT demos come in over the coming months!

As for the OT stuff, the Ignore function is your friend!
h4ndcrafted
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

I think that there is something true about that this is an instrument where the important thing is the combination of several parts in one product, because, the 90 patchpoints alone is nothing compared with what you could get combining other semi-modular synths, like your 10 Craves or a mix bag of several synths that you can get today for this money

Also, the paraphony feature is, again, a joke compared with, say, a REV-2, or even a Minilogue

And the Moog signature sound, well, you get this with the GM alone, that is less than half the price. Hey! if you leave paraphony out of the equation you can get 2 GM and have similar features (and 2x spring reverbs)

So the selling point is the combo of stuff that you could get in just one package. I don´t know that it´s the right synth for somebody that just needs one of this stuff alone.

Yes I think that is very much the point, how much value you think the circuits have etc.

You could get a Euro system for that sort of money, but had this been about when I was started Euro, it would of been a no brainier.

As a synth, It’s going to be so much fun to play with.

I think the stereo filter and stereo analogue delay will go a long way into convincing ppl it’s worth it.
Nelson Baboon
Blairio wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

yes - the gm keyboard outputs polyphony.
booger
I don’t feel that this seems way overpriced if you look at it as a curated collection of Moog modules with a case and keyboard. I’m assuming that a similar system built from existing new Eurorack modules might be as much. Plus, the Matriarch is the closest thing I’ve seen to a MonoPoly (which I’ve wanted for a very long time).
plogbidman
I have two big eurorack modulars. So i didn't feel an urgent need of the GrandMother. But, if i don't need much more a Matriarch, i really do want one.
And guess what ? Now, i even would buy a GrandMother in order to learn about it and its tips and tricks. So, i'll be ready for the Matriarch... hihi
visible cow
Nelson Baboon wrote:

If I remember correctly you own (or used to own) a Dominion 1 as well? I love my Dominion 1 but the Matriarch has me questioning whether or not I should move on......especially since patch memory isn't very important to me. I realize that they're very different but what are your thoughts regarding the D1 "vs" the grandmother?
slumberjack
visible cow wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

If I remember correctly you own (or used to own) a Dominion 1 as well? I love my Dominion 1 but the Matriarch has me questioning whether or not I should move on......especially since patch memory isn't very important to me. I realize that they're very different but what are your thoughts regarding the D1 "vs" the grandmother?

good question where i wanna read the answer, so i'll lock myself in...cheers!
sduck
A reminder.

sduck wrote:
Hermetech Mastering
The Env End Outs patched to the Env Trig Ins could give you an extra two LFOs with variable wave shapes. With the two actual LFOs that's a lot of cool evolving modulation possibilities. Be nice if it had ring modulation (although can do audio rate AM which sounds very similar), envelope following, and integration/slew, but none are really essential so can see why they didn't make it, and the latter two may be patchable a la Serge DTG/DUSG.
plogbidman
Talking about West Coast way of synths, with 4 independent vco, there's a lot to do with a Matriarch in the Buchla's style... nanners
umma gumma
I seem to recall, the patent filing for matriarch included ring modulation?
gentle_attack
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
The Env End Outs patched to the Env Trig Ins could give you an extra two LFOs with variable wave shapes. With the two actual LFOs that's a lot of cool evolving modulation possibilities. Be nice if it had ring modulation (although can do audio rate AM which sounds very similar), envelope following, and integration/slew, but none are really essential so can see why they didn't make it, and the latter two may be patchable a la Serge DTG/DUSG.

They should have licensed a MATHS (tm) from Makenoise instead of those utility sections. Then it would be ON.

Shame they didn't wedge a sequential switch in there for some Mono/Poly sequencing. That's all it would take I think to get the roundrobin thing going.
Funch
Yes, by all means lets get back to the internet gear advertising platform. No BS allowed. Here's the click bait as it arrived in my email.

"Is this paraphonic, semi-modular marvel more evidence Moog is moving away from its mono past?"

https://reverb.com/news/moog-announces-the-matriarch-an-expanded-parap honic-take-on-the-grandmother?utm_campaign=20190428+Sunday+Content+%28 Synth+Segment%29&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=MarketingCloud

Buy now. Get your preorder in today. Rockin' Banana!
coyoteous
Moog, woke(r).
dubonaire
Funch wrote:
Yes, by all means lets get back to the internet gear advertising platform. No BS allowed. Here's the click bait as it arrived in my email.

"Is this paraphonic, semi-modular marvel more evidence Moog is moving away from its mono past?"

https://reverb.com/news/moog-announces-the-matriarch-an-expanded-parap honic-take-on-the-grandmother?utm_campaign=20190428+Sunday+Content+%28 Synth+Segment%29&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=MarketingCloud

Buy now. Get your preorder in today. Rockin' Banana!

Maybe give it a rest Funch. Please don't get this thread locked:

sduck wrote:
A reminder.

sduck wrote:
Kent
Sending Funch a PM. His point has been made more than once.
nectarios
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I think the stereo filter and stereo analogue delay will go a long way into convincing ppl it’s worth it.

The stereo image is the best thing about this new Moog synth, for me.
ZenitSar
nectarios wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Agreed. It sounds nice, but those demos were not particularly interesting to me. Most were pretty cliche sounding sequencer jams and boring. The stereo movement was the star. Fugly, like the g-ma. I bet it's built like a tank, which is great!
1040df
ZenitSar wrote:
nectarios wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Agreed. It sounds nice, but those demos were not particularly interesting to me. Most were pretty cliche sounding sequencer jams and boring. The stereo movement was the star. Fugly, like the g-ma. I bet it's built like a tank, which is great!

Same here. I was not impressed with the synth nor most of the demo except when Lisa Bella Donna shredded it. I thought best thing Moog did was hire her for this advert. Then again everything she touches sounds great. Still wouldn't buy it..
revtor
Had some California candy and spent at least an hour walking around perfect circuit last week. The grandmother was by far the most fun synth to start from zero on and if you’ve ever been there, they have a lot of gear. I’m sure this will deliver. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.
Nelson Baboon
revtor wrote:
Had some California candy and spent at least an hour walking around perfect circuit last week. The grandmother was by far the most fun synth to start from zero on and if you’ve ever been there, they have a lot of gear. I’m sure this will deliver. Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

yeah - just reading the specs of the grandmother doesn't prepare you for how fun it is.

But I put in a pre-order for one at sweetwater. Given that I can cancel it if I don't have the $ or the space when it's ready, it seems like an ok decision. if it is too redundant with the grandmother, i guess I'll sell grandma.
booger
The Perfect Circuit demo is very compelling IMO...

Voltage_Controller
I have spent quite a bit of time with a borrowed gma and it really is a compelling mono. The matriarch is tad too steep $$ for me, but based on how playable the gma is, the matriarch is probably amazing. I love how patchabiity on monos (or quasi-monos) has become standard.
wiperactive
Voltage_Controller wrote:
... I love how patchabiity on monos (or quasi-monos) has become standard.

Yes this is a great thing.
DJMaytag
SteeVtheRipper wrote:
I really like what Moog has been doing the last few years. It seems like not that long ago they had only the Voyager, the Taurus, the Lil Phatty, and a slew of pedals. I was scratching my head wondering what the heck they were doing over there.

The Moog One was codenamed the “LAS,” as it was the Long Awaited Synth that they’d been working on for the past 7-8 years.
DJMaytag
umma gumma wrote:

No. I noticed that there were boxes on the assembly line (at Moogfest) that said “GGMa” on them. I had to ask, and someone did confirm that Great Grandmother was the internal/working name for the Matriarch.
DJMaytag
booger wrote:
So, is the Matriarch limited to 250 units or is that the beginning run? Also, does anyone know if all 250 sold at Moogfest? I pre-ordered one from GC but might cancel my order if it won’t ship in July (assuming they’re producing more than 250).

There’s definitely a limit of Moogfest 2019 badged Matriarchs, but I have no solid information about what that number actually is. I did hear that 200 were sold the first day of Moogfest, but there was nothing said about whether or not those were online sales, at Moogfest sales, a combination of both... or simply preorders from dealers other than GC (who had the Moogfest Edition exclusive).

One of the on-site sales guys tried to tell me that it would be 12-18 months before I’d get a non-Moogfest Matriarch, but I’m taking that as complete and total salesman bullshit.
FrankV
I'll be interested to see if there are more than that initial run. I'd like to think so.

I'm not really a huge Moog fan, but I have to say the combination of features on this thing really attracts me.

Watching with interest...
tioJim
I love how patchabiity on monos (or quasi-monos) has become standard.

I dived into Eurorack and then bailed soon after. It was my fault. I got overexcited. I don't miss it (with the exception of IJ's Plonk and some MI modules) but my interests/priorities have changed anyway. Eurorack's cool though, not trolling. I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

One of the things about Euro that didn't sit right for me was the f'ing cables everywhere. I know that's the point, lolz. We really weren't meant for each other were we?!

At one point I had a Waldorf KB37. What particularly annoyed me about that was the cables would often end up dangling over the keys. Sure I could choose shorter cables but wtf, I'm trying to make music here! Just gimme the nearest cable before this idea evaporates into the ether.

So my question is, to owners of semi-patchables, how does cable management work out for you? Of course I can deal with a few cables but not spaghetti. That just kills me.

Is it a case of 'a patch is never as complex as a full Eurorack rig' so you find it manageable?
joeSeggiola
tioJim wrote:
So my question is, to owners of semi-patchables, how does cable management work out for you? Of course I can deal with a few cables but not spaghetti. That just kills me.

Is it a case of 'a patch is never as complex as a full Eurorack rig' so you find it manageable?

For me, having cables hanging everywhere, falling over the keyboard, having to move them with the back of the hand to reach knobs, I don't know, it's one of the joys of using modular smile I guess the gist of it is in your "wtf, I'm trying to make music here!": for me it's more a thing about experimenting and "physically" enjoying the instrument itself, for the sake of it (I'm not a musician, nor a professional). Obviously different goals (albeit all equally legitimate, I think) means different approaches to the tools.

That said, I also have a semi-modular, a Minibrute 2, and I can tell you cable management is definitely not a mess compared to the Eurorack system that sits on top of it. In a typical scenario, you need 60-70% less cables, thanks to the default connections: pre-patched keyboard/sequencer into VCO CV, VCO into filter and VCA, envelopes into filter and VCA CVs, and so on, also many "optional" modulations like PWM and vibrato are defaulted to LFOs, for example. So, consider you will definitely have much less cables hanging around. Plus, on synths like the Minibrute 2, Mother 32, etc, you also have a delimited patchbay with all connection in a single place, so you'll use very short cables that won't obstruct the rest of the synth. However this latter point doesn't apply to the Grandmother and the Matriarch, so I can't say...

However, given you want modularity and dislike cables so much, have considered something like the Matrixbrute? Could be a nice alternative to the Matriarch, I think, feature-wise is not much different... Multiple VCOs, paraphony (albeit more limited), multiple filters, onboard end-of-chain modulable effects. A little more expensive, but you can justify it largely with patch memory.
tioJim
joeSeggiola wrote:
tioJim wrote:

For me, having cables hanging everywhere, falling over the keyboard, having to move them with the back of the hand to reach knobs, I don't know, it's one of the joys of using modular smile I guess the gist of it is in your "wtf, I'm trying to make music here!": for me it's more a thing about experimenting and "physically" enjoying the instrument itself, for the sake of it (I'm not a musician, nor a professional). Obviously different goals (albeit all equally legitimate, I think) means different approaches to the tools.

Yes of course! Totally legit and I get this >>> "about experimenting and "physically" enjoying the instrument itself"

Quote:
That said, I also have a semi-modular, a Minibrute 2, and I can tell you cable management is definitely not a mess compared to the Eurorack system

Good to know. Yes the MB2 is interesting.
chiasticon
tioJim wrote:

I get where you're coming from. I went eurorack a decade ago and got overwhelmed. sold it all for some semi-modular stuff that was more up my alley. I approached it more from an aspect of just playing melodies though, like you're saying. so I hit a wall of "why do I need all these options?" and semi-modular just worked better for me; less fiddling-about and more writing. my sound/approach has changed a bit though, and now I've got some eurorack again and am having fun with it. to me, modular works better for textures/effects/etc, and semi-modular works better for more straight-forward melodies or simpler effects.

but to answer your question: most semi-modulars have the patching section more out of the way of the keys and controls. maybe not entirely, but nowhere near as bad as reaching into the rats nest that a fully-modular patch can become. both the Grandmother and Matriarch have the majority of their patch points towards the top, away from the controls and keybed. similarly, their DFAM and Mother32 have a patchbay all on one side, so the controls are much easier to see and interact with. add to this that, obviously, with semi-modular, you've already got half of the patch routed for you before you even plug a cable in. so this in itself cuts down on the cable spaghetti.
mome rath
booger wrote:
The Perfect Circuit demo is very compelling IMO...

staaaaahhhppp

my money cry
kindredlost
I have never gone in debt (as in charging credit) for a synth...but this one is a real temptation. I am better served to sell off some gear. Life is short though.
Blairio
kindredlost wrote:
I have never gone in debt (as in charging credit) for a synth...but this one is a real temptation. I am better served to sell off some gear. Life is short though.

Likewise. Very tempting.

I have an idea about the way the Grandmother and now the Matriarch look. There are very few keyboards which have a really distinctive appearance. Nord have nailed it with the red livery of their keyboards. You only have to see that colour on a stage to think 'Nord'.

Likewise, the colour and layout of the Grandmother and now the Matriarch (and the Sirrin) could only be contemporary 'Moog'. I reckon Moog have come up with a new trade mark, which is pretty clever. Whether you think that is a good or a bad thing is another discussion - but it is a thing.
JakoGreyshire
They gave Martin Gore an innovation award of some type and also gave him the very first Matriarch off the assembly line with serial number one.

applause

I'm paraphrasing here but, he then said, "Maybe this is finally the piece of gear I've been looking for?"
It was a funny thing to say because during the conversation prior to the award they were talking about gear lust addiction...

h4ndcrafted
You can pre order worldwide now, estimated delivery in U.K. is September , so prob about Feb then.

JohnLRice
Blairio wrote:
the colour and layout of the Grandmother and now the Matriarch (and the Sirrin) could only be contemporary 'Moog'. I reckon Moog have come up with a new trade mark, which is pretty clever. Whether you think that is a good or a bad thing is another discussion - but it is a thing.
I was a bit surprised at the Grandmother release but it wasn't something I actually needed so I didn't think too hard about it. The Sirrin actually made my trigger finger a bit itchy for a day or two hihi and every demo I've heard of the Matriarch makes me think "I wants, can haz pleaze?" cool

The design of all three looks old school to me and I keep thinking they borrowed some of panel design elements from both the Sonic 6 and MG-1?

If I was in the market for a keyboard synth right now the Matriarch would be on my short list. The colorful layout isn't my favorite but I wouldn't let that stop me from enjoying it's excellent sound and features. I do think that if they offered an all black, an all white, and a gray-scale version in addition to the default multi-color version they would sell even more of them? Maybe they will do a limited run of alternate color versions at some point like they have done in the past with the Voyager? hmmm.....
JohnLRice
kindredlost wrote:
Charge it up! hihi I took a look at all of my modular synth systems and even the smallest is more costly then the Matriarch! hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it Do I need that many different modular synths? meh Dead Banana
Blairio
JohnLRice wrote:
Blairio wrote:
the colour and layout of the Grandmother and now the Matriarch (and the Sirrin) could only be contemporary 'Moog'. I reckon Moog have come up with a new trade mark, which is pretty clever. Whether you think that is a good or a bad thing is another discussion - but it is a thing.

The design of all three looks old school to me and I keep thinking they borrowed some of panel design elements from both the Sonic 6 and MG-1?

Agreed on both counts, but the Grandmother is a 'contemporary' take on that design language. I am pretty sure I saw something like the Grandmother in my local Tandy (what "radio shack" was called in the UK) store in the mid 70's. I think it was called the Realistic Moog?

There aren't many keyboards / synths I would reject out of hand on appearance alone. Maybe the original Waldorf Sledge - a Tonka toy with keys, Oddly, my DSI Mopho keyboard is also yellow-ish in hue (i.e. bright yellow!), but is totally redeemed by its wooden end cheeks.........
stringtapper
DJMaytag wrote:
booger wrote:

There’s definitely a limit of Moogfest 2019 badged Matriarchs, but I have no solid information about what that number actually is. I did hear that 200 were sold the first day of Moogfest, but there was nothing said about whether or not those were online sales, at Moogfest sales, a combination of both... or simply preorders from dealers other than GC (who had the Moogfest Edition exclusive).

One of the on-site sales guys tried to tell me that it would be 12-18 months before I’d get a non-Moogfest Matriarch, but I’m taking that as complete and total salesman bullshit.

I preordered a Moogfest edition from GC yesterday and the rep told me that GC had 190 units on order to ship in July and that I was within that batch.

Who knows what the truth is lol
Jason Brock
tioJim wrote:
So my question is, to owners of semi-patchables, how does cable management work out for you? Of course I can deal with a few cables but not spaghetti.

I felt the exact same way about Eurorack as you, and that's why I sold it all. I just didn't enjoy having to patch everything all the time. Now I have two mono synths instead and it is so much more fun to work with.

My Moog Grandmother has two permanent cables going out to my Octave CAT for CV/Gate (bonus that it sends sequencer/arp data too). Other than that, I don't use the patch points as often as I thought I would. When I get an idea to try something it's usually just 2 or 3 cables, and they get put away quickly after I'm done. 75% of what I typically want can be done without patching.
h4ndcrafted
I think you are missing out if you go absolute on not using modular. I stick to semi modular units and effects. It’s a cheaper way of adding specific filters or anything you want. Just because you can go spaghetti, doesn’t mean you have to.

I wish they made more 500 series style modules for eurorack, they don’t all need to have crazy cv. Maybe the power requirements would be too much for some of the higher end modules ?

Anyway eurorack is just too much fun for me never to have anything, modules get released constantly.
JohnLRice
Jason Brock wrote:
tioJim wrote:
So my question is, to owners of semi-patchables, how does cable management work out for you? Of course I can deal with a few cables but not spaghetti.

I felt the exact same way about Eurorack as you, and that's why I sold it all.
I bet right angle cables might work really well with the Matriarch? Since most of the jacks are at the top of the panel any excess cable could stick out the back, or at least be neatly routed, and stay out of the way of the controls. Also it could likely stay patched when put in a case when taking it to a gig?
https://www.tendrilscables.com/

They even have colors that are sort of close to the Matriarch? cool
nios
I like the look of it, better in sections than say, the entire thing being purple or spring-green. The Grandma had orange on its last section which I think looks cooler than purple, but the purple throws it over towards that overall section of the color wheel so also works.

It's a kind of aesthetic that is I'd say, faux-retro, because back in the 70s your Moog, Buchla EMS etc modulars just would not have had this look to them rather than being uniformly black or silver. The Korg MS line didn't look like this either. So it does have a kind of mismatched-Eurorack look, which some would perhaps find a slight because this is just plain not a Eurorack, sort of like the TE OP semi-modulars aren't actually arrange-able as modules so much as just having lines drawn to visually separate. However it is compatible with Euro so that's the relation I suppose. Still, the Mother 32 isn't artificially-sectioned like this, although I suppose if it were made today maybe it would be.

As to how it sounds, I was ho-hum about it from the big over-produced intro video (which probably rode in on a penny-farthing) and the few other demos I had heard, but that Perfect Circuit one really caught my attention for some patches and now I sort of want it. Thing is, I also have been closely mulling getting an OB-6 for about that same price, and that is quite stiff competition. I'd have easily gone in on this for 1500, and likely still would have for 1800 as it looks not too far from being a double Grandma, so double the Grandma price would sound right considering I didn't think Grandma wasn't too bad in price. Maybe I'll just hold out for used Matriarchs.
booger
Well, I assume that I wasn’t in the first 250 to order to Matriarch. My GC order went from a definitive date in early July to backordered. Hopefully, for not too long, though...
chaosick
tioJim wrote:
I love how patchabiity on monos (or quasi-monos) has become standard.

I dived into Eurorack and then bailed soon after. It was my fault. I got overexcited. I don't miss it (with the exception of IJ's Plonk and some MI modules) but my interests/priorities have changed anyway. Eurorack's cool though, not trolling. I'm sure we'll cross paths again.

One of the things about Euro that didn't sit right for me was the f'ing cables everywhere. I know that's the point, lolz. We really weren't meant for each other were we?!

At one point I had a Waldorf KB37. What particularly annoyed me about that was the cables would often end up dangling over the keys. Sure I could choose shorter cables but wtf, I'm trying to make music here! Just gimme the nearest cable before this idea evaporates into the ether.

Try velcro straps over a few bundles once you're done patching. 0 Cables hanging over keys if you do it properly: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bklkv7wAVhp/
stringtapper
booger wrote:
Well, I assume that I wasn’t in the first 250 to order to Matriarch. My GC order went from a definitive date in early July to backordered. Hopefully, for not too long, though...

When did you place your order?
Dave Peck
Paraphonic, schmaraphic. Bah! I don't LIKE IT!

Muse FTW
booger wrote:

Wasn't sure if I was in the first 250 or not, but I'm also seeing "backordered" which sucks. Thought I was fast enough. Oh well... hopefully it's not delayed for a while.

I'd be really frustrated if other retailers who still have preorders up manage to ship theirs out before GC fulfills their orders. Only reason I went through them was because they were listed as the primary preorder on Moog's site. Gah.
stringtapper
Muse FTW wrote:
booger wrote:

Wasn't sure if I was in the first 250 or not, but I'm also seeing "backordered" which sucks. Thought I was fast enough. Oh well... hopefully it's not delayed for a while.

I'd be really frustrated if other retailers who still have preorders up manage to ship theirs out before GC fulfills their orders. Only reason I went through them was because they were listed as the primary preorder on Moog's site. Gah.

Again, I ordered mine yesterday and the rep I spoke to on the phone said that GC had 190 units on order for the July ship date and that only around 30–40 had been ordered so far (around 5pm CST on 4/30/19).
ResistSound
Just ordered mine through Sweetwater. I'm willing to wait if it means my money doesn't go to GC.
wminor
I'm seeing a lot of mention of the OB-6 as a comparable poly in this thread. I'm kinda intrigued by that... I see them as really quite different instruments.

Even ignoring the semi-modular aspect, and paraphony vs polyphony... just the SOUND is so different! I think the oscs, and especially the filters, sound totally different!

I own an OB-6, and I'm expecting the Matriarch to complement it rather than replace it.
chaosick
wminor wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of mention of the OB-6 as a comparable poly in this thread. I'm kinda intrigued by that... I see them as really quite different instruments.

Even ignoring the semi-modular aspect, and paraphony vs polyphony... just the SOUND is so different! I think the oscs, and especially the filters, sound totally different!

I own an OB-6, and I'm expecting the Matriarch to complement it rather than replace it.

That would seem misguided to me, in the same way that seeing a Vermona Perfourmer as a sub for a 6 voice poly is misguided, though it's a wonderful instrument.
booger
stringtapper wrote:
booger wrote:

Saturday 4/27
Bobby
chaosick wrote:
wminor wrote:

That would seem misguided to me, in the same way that seeing a Vermona Perfourmer as a sub for a 6 voice poly is misguided, though it's a wonderful instrument.

OB-6 User here too and this is on my GAS list for sure.
Licudi
OB-6 and Matriarch both cost a similar chunk of change; I think that's the only grounds for comparison.
Muse FTW
stringtapper wrote:

Again, I ordered mine yesterday and the rep I spoke to on the phone said that GC had 190 units on order for the July ship date and that only around 30–40 had been ordered so far (around 5pm CST on 4/30/19).

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
stringtapper
booger wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
booger wrote:

Saturday 4/27

According to the GC rep I spoke to you should be well within the first batch that are scheduled to ship in July.
rowsbywoof
I'm excited to see what people put out with the Matriarch. I'm really digging the sound a lot. I was originally bummed by the lack of the spring reverb from the GM, but now that I've had about a week to digest this synth, I think the choice of putting a stereo delay on the Matriarch was brilliant. It just lends itself better to what the overall architecture of the Matriarch is set up to do.

Can't wait to hear some demos and songs pumped out on these in July.
Rex Coil 7
rowsbywoof wrote:
I'm excited to see what people put out with the Matriarch. I'm really digging the sound a lot....

... Can't wait to hear some demos and songs pumped out on these in July.

This second video was shot on 16mm film and recorded on magnetic tape .... (Tascam 388 and Otari MX5050)

rowsbywoof
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:
I'm excited to see what people put out with the Matriarch. I'm really digging the sound a lot....

... Can't wait to hear some demos and songs pumped out on these in July.

This second video was shot on 16mm film and recorded on magnetic tape .... (Tascam 388 and Otari MX5050)

Where the first is great to show off the Matriarch, that second video gives a great glimpse of what's to come. It really cuts through a mix, and Lisa's work is nothing short of mesmerizing here. Love it.
solusarpus
This synth seems pretty cool, but I have a few thoughts.

1. will the keyboard somehow put out four separate cv and gate signals like the roland system 100 184 keyboard? I don't think so from a glance at the output section on the back.

2.If not, will it be able to send on 4 midi channels for the four paraphonic notes being played?

3. How hard would it be to wire 4 individual oscillator audio outs?

I am thinking that this thing is really close to being a polysynth, at least in conjunction with some external gear- I am imagining 4 mother 32s or the like that are assigned to play the same notes as the four matriarch oscillators (likely via midi). each matriarch osc audio out could be processed through its corresponding mother 32's envelopes and lfos, then those 4 mothers' audio outs could be routed back into the matriarch's mixer- viola, a 4 voice polysynth with 2 oscillators per voice. possible?

***edit: i see now that it has individual wave outs for the oscs
nios
To the above post,
Quote:
This synth seems pretty cool, but I have a few thoughts.
etc, I recall hearing that the sequencer on this thing can store paraphonic inputs and play them back accordingly. It also is equipped enough that I think it basically can play as a 2-voice pretty well, "true" duophonic as they put it, as compared to say how an ARP Odyssey plays.

Basically the main thing it's missing are enough VCAs/envelopes - as far as I can tell from its ins/outs so far it appears say a Doepfer A-142-2 can complete those requirements, and then the question would be two more filters. The grandma uses what, a 904a filter right? Aion Modular makes a Euro clone of that... So for maybe ~800 extra you can make this thing a full blown 4-voice poly, far far less if you aren't concerned with matching that filter (for example a dual filter with multiple signal in/out, like the Roland system 500 521).

The more I look at this the more I like the idea of it, because besides from the above adaptation I can also do stupid things like "what does a matriach sound like going through wasp filters".. "what would two complex moog oscs even sound like together" etc. Dead Banana
chiasticon
shame you can't disconnect keyboard input to an oscillator, or use it as an LFO. even if you plug a dummy cable into an oscillator's pitch in, that's just added to the voltage the keyboard is sending it.
anselmi
solusarpus wrote:
I am thinking that this thing is really close to being a polysynth, at least in conjunction with some external gear- I am imagining 4 mother 32s or the like

4 werkstatts would fit this job and they´re much cheaper than M32s
Rex Coil 7
chiasticon wrote:
shame you can't disconnect keyboard input to an oscillator, or use it as an LFO. even if you plug a dummy cable into an oscillator's pitch in, that's just added to the voltage the keyboard is sending it.
... you may be able to. Does the manual point to anything about turning off "local control"? Many (many!) processor controlled synths have the local control on/off feature, often times buried within the guts of the machine ...

seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
Hermetech Mastering
Matriarch manual is not out yet. GM has Local Off mode but it's apparently broken and they've promised to fix it in a firmware update sometime.
chiasticon
I was going off of the Grandmother manual, as the osc's and their controls are similar (and I assume based on the same circuit). local off mode is something but it's not entirely what I'm after. I want independent option of keyboard on/off for each osc, like the 2600 has.
mintmark
I really like the way the Moog manuals include a signal flow diagram near the beginning... (although it looks like they didn't attempt that in the One manual)

Anyway, maybe in paraphonic mode you can arrange for a key to stay pressed all the time to hold an oscillator at a set pitch from the keyboard? In some of the demos you see the players holding one bass key while playing other notes higher up.

Or the LFO can probably act as a disconnected oscillator.. and maybe the other LFO can as well.
rowsbywoof
chiasticon wrote:
I was going off of the Grandmother manual, as the osc's and their controls are similar (and I assume based on the same circuit). local off mode is something but it's not entirely what I'm after. I want independent option of keyboard on/off for each osc, like the 2600 has.

Maybe reach out to Moog with this request? They're still small enough of a company that suggestions like this might make their way into the product. I'd try reaching out to Moog support with a question/request for this to be implemented and if it makes sense and is doable with the current hardware layout, it might just make it into a future update.
stringtapper
I wrote to Moog to see if they could confirm what my GC rep was telling me and here's the response:

Quote:
Yes, that ETA matches our production plan. Our plan is to begin the production run on two lines in early-mid June. Production will likely be at between 5–15 units a day, starting out. Of course, things may be fluid if there's a delay in the production start date. As of now, we are on track as per the plan. If things change, our sales team will be in contact with GC to provide updates. GC will have up-to-date info throughout the process…

thumbs up
solusarpus
the local off mode would be cool, but I would really like to see the different note allocation modes and how they would apply to external gear. If the matriarch can output a midi or cv signal to 4 other synths in the same note allocation series as is represented on the matriarch in 4 part paraphonic mode, then this is a starter kit 4 voice polysynth with stereo vcfs, delay, and vca on top
solusarpus
stringtapper wrote:
I wrote to Moog to see if they could confirm what my GC rep was telling me and here's the response:

Quote:
Yes, that ETA matches our production plan. Our plan is to begin the production run on two lines in early-mid June. Production will likely be at between 5–15 units a day, starting out. Of course, things may be fluid if there's a delay in the production start date. As of now, we are on track as per the plan. If things change, our sales team will be in contact with GC to provide updates. GC will have up-to-date info throughout the process…

thumbs up

I wonder if your moog rep could confirm whether there will be an all black version, as mentioned high above... I doubt it; it looked like someone just screenshotted a line outline of the synth, as moog uses in most manuals. I would like to see a black version. I don't like the modular panel kinda- skeuomorphic look and I don't like easter colors in general. moog would sell more if they didn't front like that
anselmi
solusarpus wrote:
stringtapper wrote:

Quote:

thumbs up

I wonder if your moog rep could confirm whether there will be an all black version, as mentioned high above... I doubt it; it looked like someone just screenshotted a line outline of the synth, as moog uses in most manuals. I would like to see a black version. I don't like the modular panel kinda- skeuomorphic look and I don't like easter colors in general. moog would sell more if they didn't front like that

I think the color scheme is a very intentional marketing strategy to accent and comunicate the "modular" vibe of the synth (since they´re using adapted circuits from their modular synths) and state a difference with their non-modular stuff, like the SubSequent and One. It shouts "look, I´m a keyboard but there´s modules inside here, and you can patch them"
stringtapper
solusarpus wrote:

I’m pretty sure that image on the Matriarch page on Moog’s site is indeed an outline graphic of the front panel for the manual with the background inadvertently set to transparent rather than white.
nectarios
chiasticon wrote:

Maybe patching a dummy cable at the V/Oct input of a VCO, will do that.
mintmark
nectarios wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

That doesn't work with the grandmother. You can patch something to "pitch in", but the pitch from the keyboard is still always added to it.

I do wonder if it might be different with the Matriarch because Moog mention the ability to decouple the sequencer from the synth, but it's not obvious how... there seem to be separate sequencer and keyboard CV outputs. I guess it depends on where they break the normalling, by using the sequencer output or by pathcing the oscillator inputs.
nectarios
Fair enough. Strange that inserting a patch cable does not break the normalisation from the keyboard. Obviously they where thinking something else that I am not.
Bobby
Im personally hoping the sequencer can be output as midi. The CV inputs/outputs look to be monophonic from what i can tell. (obviously the VCO's have paraphonic inputs however i mean inputs/outputs in relation to the sequencer/keyboard)
solusarpus
anselmi wrote:

I think the color scheme is a very intentional marketing strategy to accent and comunicate the "modular" vibe of the synth (since they´re using adapted circuits from their modular synths) and state a difference with their non-modular stuff, like the SubSequent and One. It shouts "look, I´m a keyboard but there´s modules inside here, and you can patch them"

I think you're absolutely correct, but I also imagine that coloring "modules" is absolutely unnecessary since anyone who looks at it will see the long patchbay across the top. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the modular concept isn't going to be sold on it because a few parts are colored in, I would bet. I'm probably just whinging because I want it to look like my old rogue.
SteeVtheRipper
Know what I would really love to see... A Moog (insert familial name here). A synth one tier up from this.

Everything the Matriarch has plus:

4 more VCOs
1 more VCF with both having separately addressable filters so you could split the two stereo filters into 4 single filters allowing true 4 voice poly w/2 osc per voice
2 more envelopes
2 more LFOs
1 more utility module
spring reverb
61 keys
8 voice paraphony (1 osc per voice)
4 voice polyphony (2 osc per voice)
2 voice duophony (4 osc per voice)
$3000-$3500

If Moog released that I think I would die lol. That would be about the coolest semi modular synth I can think of, and I'd take it any day over a One. Knowing my luck by the time I save up and purchase a Matriach it will happen the next day.
nectarios
You want an 8 VCO Moog synth for 3500bucks? hihi
SteeVtheRipper
Yes. Yes I do. haha
I think the price is fair. A Gma is $899, Matriarch is $2K, so the synth I'm imagining is a proportional expansion beyond the Matriarch as the Matriarch is beyond the Gma. Makes sense to me. You have to admit, sounds pretty badass.

This small to large product release architecture is frustrating, because you never know whats around the bend. I was thinking of getting a Gma and I would have been really bummed if I had and then the Matriarch dropped. I prefer the release of a flagship then trickle down synths. The way they've gone about releasing Gma then Mat. gives me anxiety that I might pull the trigger too early. lol. But all things considered I think the Mat. is a fabulous synth and you can't really go wrong with it. Generally I think it sounds better than the One. Kinda makes me wish that they had used those oscillators and mixer in the One, then you'd really have a super beast!

If I can manage a Matriarch and Summit by years end I will be a happy camper. I'd like to fool myself into thinking I'll be satisfied but I'm a sucker for a cool instrument. I'm a player at heart and just get so much enjoyment noodling around and enjoying instruments, so while I have every musical need covered my curiosity for different instrumental experiences is never satiated. I think the next real leap for me is into euro. I have a few semimodular synths and I find myself wanting to do things with them beyond their native functionality which has me looking at modules.
calaveras
I'm glad to see Moog going more in this direction. As opposed to the more microprocessor/firmware based analog synths like the Sub37, Phattie etc.
The paraphony is a puzzler though. I spent time with some paraphonic synths like the Poly 800. And it's a compromise you make when you can only afford a $200 synth. Not something most of us seek out. And certainly not at this price point!

I'd be curious to see if they release a module version of this kinda like Sequential does with most of their synths. I'd be much more interested in using this as a sequenced thing than a keyboard. Esp if that shaved a couple hundred off the top.

Curious if Moog is going to keep doing the Realistic MG1 color scheme from now on.
gentle_attack
mintmark wrote:
nectarios wrote:
chiasticon wrote:

That doesn't work with the grandmother. You can patch something to "pitch in", but the pitch from the keyboard is still always added to it.

I do wonder if it might be different with the Matriarch because Moog mention the ability to decouple the sequencer from the synth, but it's not obvious how... there seem to be separate sequencer and keyboard CV outputs. I guess it depends on where they break the normalling, by using the sequencer output or by pathcing the oscillator inputs.

nectarios wrote:
Fair enough. Strange that inserting a patch cable does not break the normalisation from the keyboard. Obviously they where thinking something else that I am not.

Could you not invert the 'keyboard out' out using something like KINKS, then send that back into the 'pitch in'? This would subtract just as much as the keybaord was outputting.

You could even use a precision adder (LINKS for example) to add some other voltage to the inverted 'keyboard out', to move the Oscillator around independently

I have not tried this but it seems like it would work, although you need extra modules obviously.
Bobby
calaveras wrote:
I'm glad to see Moog going more in this direction. As opposed to the more microprocessor/firmware based analog synths like the Sub37, Phattie etc.
The paraphony is a puzzler though. I spent time with some paraphonic synths like the Poly 800. And it's a compromise you make when you can only afford a $200 synth. Not something most of us seek out. And certainly not at this price point!

I'd be curious to see if they release a module version of this kinda like Sequential does with most of their synths. I'd be much more interested in using this as a sequenced thing than a keyboard. Esp if that shaved a couple hundred off the top.

Curious if Moog is going to keep doing the Realistic MG1 color scheme from now on.

I'm kinda down with it for the weirdness. My collection is getting to a stage where I'm like yeah I ain't gotta a paraphonic so it's justified. Probably just Gassing myself tho.
tehyar
Paraphonic capability is just something typically added on to a monophonic with lots of oscs. MatrixBrute, Sub37, Pro2, Medusa, Pulse 2, etc, etc... They just usually aren't categorized as paraphonic right out of the gate like this. They're all over the place, though.
Kja
calaveras wrote:

Matrairch has both firmware and microprocessors, don't let the cactuses and neon colors fool you..
mintmark
It doesn't have a tiny screen and little buttons everywhere and I'm grateful for that.

As to the paraphony... I am hoping it might be a little different to the sub37, the demos seem to show that it can suppress unused oscillators when you're not playing as many notes as possible.

Hopefully the manual will arrive soon.
Bobby
+1 on the manual. I don't normally buy stuff that doesn't offer alternative tunings but I do like this machine loads so im still gassing for it. I've messaged them about MTS support and so far been ignored.
iSapien1956672
I'm on the fence.
I was all psyched when the Matrirach was announced and then Novation unveiled the Summit soon after.
seriously, i just don't get it very frustrating hmmm.....
Bobby
Got an answer on MTS:

Not at release but hopefully in a firmware update.

...I'll be hanging fire for a bit. Still a lush synth but I'd rather not have it paint itself in a corner.
booger
Just got word from GC that my Matriarch won’t ship until October. (I ordered it the Sat of Moogfest weekend.) confused
wminor
booger wrote:
Just got word from GC that my Matriarch won’t ship until October. (I ordered it the Sat of Moogfest weekend.) confused

Me too. I think I ordered on the Friday though.

Wondering if they've hit some manufacturing / production issues?
stringtapper
Yeah, same here.

I’m going to message the Moog rep I’ve been in contact with and see if he can shed any light on it.
Muse FTW
booger wrote:

Same. I'm guessing they've all been delayed a bit. Really disappointing tbh but I'd rather they get it right.
Panason
iSapien1956672 wrote:
I'm on the fence.
I was all psyched when the Matrirach was announced and then Novation unveiled the Summit soon after.

There's also the Super 6 and the OB-6 at around the same price point... The Matriarch is overpriced (like all Moogs) and I can't see it selling well at all outside the US.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
iSapien1956672 wrote:
I'm on the fence.

There's also the Super 6 and the OB-6 at around the same price point... The Matriarch is overpriced (like all Moogs) and I can't see it selling well at all outside the US.

yep...BUT this 2 synths (as well as the P6) are true polyphonic and don´t have any patchpoints, so for me they´re not comparable

the Matriarch is not just about playing chords but a combination of things that are not in the market in the form of a single, keyboard driven synth

yes, you can play chords, and yes ypu have "modules" and you can add it to your modular rig and maybe enjoy a fresh musical twist in your workflow

for me the goal is to make the more traditional "musical" and the last years "modular" worlds closer than just having chords in a synth and patchpoints in another
calaveras
Paraphony on a dsp based osc is a gimme. On something like the recently discontinued Pro2, it would be criminal not to have a paraphonic mode. It doesn't cost extra to have several pairs of oscs or just one pair.
It does cost extra if you are making an analog polysynth, and have to put a filter on each voice.
I cant help but feel like the paraphony is just a cheap move.
Shadoweclipse13
I preordered one at the beginning on May, and truly like everything about it. It'll be my first hardware synth, which is also really exciting. It sounds to me that it'll be able to the Model D sound fairly well. For a while, I've been buying AJH MiniMod modules to do the Model D sound, but I like the sound of the Matriarch better, and it can do so much more I think.
peripatitis
Nice filter though, beyond that mehh
I don't get their synth naming as of late though..
Do they have an agenda or what?
Rex Coil 7
peripatitis wrote:
... no, not at all ... meh
Nelson Baboon
peripatitis wrote:

well, i'll guess that you haven't tried the grandmother yourself. it's really an amazing instrument. I suppose that there agenda is to make really good instruments. Obviously flawed.
peripatitis
Nelson Baboon wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

well, i'll guess that you haven't tried the grandmother yourself. it's really an amazing instrument. I suppose that there agenda is to make really good instruments. Obviously flawed.

but wouldn't the grand mother be the Matriarch as well? I am a bit confused with this.
Nelson Baboon
peripatitis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

but wouldn't the grand mother be the Matriarch as well? I am a bit confused with this.

I'm a bit confused as to your point, unless it's a joke. All I'm saying is that these are quite similar synths, with the matriarch seemingly being an upgrade to the grandmother. I have no experience with the Matriarch (obviously) but I own a Grandmother, and i find it to be one of best sounding and fun synths I've ever used.
peripatitis
Nelson Baboon wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

I'm a bit confused as to your point, unless it's a joke. All I'm saying is that these are quite similar synths, with the matriarch seemingly being an upgrade to the grandmother. I have no experience with the Matriarch (obviously) but I own a Grandmother, and i find it to be one of best sounding and fun synths I've ever used.

Somewhere between a joke and bemusement for their naming.
Panason
I do believe Dave Smith ought to come back at them with a Patriarch and a Grandfather. Too much feminism.

And they should demo them using gender-less sequencers with no human operator visible. hihi
h4ndcrafted
All synths should be named after planets. It should be a rule.
anselmi
h4ndcrafted wrote:

well, this is quite limited due to the quantity of planets with a decent name vs synths

btw, roland almost checked this with jupiter, saturn 09 and (pro)mars but then you got the juno lines and then you realize that they´re all named after roman gods

anyway, you can find some "earth" stuff too but basically they´re all world music oriented synths and I remember some very obscure synth called "uranus"
strettara
anselmi wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:

well, this is quite limited due to the quantity of planets with a decent name vs synths

btw, roland almost checked this with jupiter, saturn 09 and (pro)mars but then you got the juno lines and then you realize that they´re all named after roman gods

anyway, you can find some "earth" stuff too but basically they´re all world music oriented synths and I remember some very obscure synth called "uranus"

The fart sound specialist.
anselmi
EPTC wrote:
rew_ wrote:

Happier?

well...quite close... hihi

Ranstedt
I'm not familiar with Moog's supply & demand of recent synth releases.

What do you all think the chances are of the Matriarch selling out and becoming hard to find for a while?

I want to purchase this synth but I'm not sure i'll be able to preorder. I'm thinking I'd be able to buy one sometime in September but I'm nervous I might not be able to find one.

Thanks.
calaveras
Kja wrote:

Matrairch has both firmware and microprocessors, don't let the cactuses and neon colors fool you..

I'm sure it does. However I am dead sick of synths that are all firmware and only a couple knobs. Especially when they are analog synths.
I have owned a couple of the Moogs like the Taurus III and Lil Phattie. And those drive me bonkers with every single knob having two functions. And often those two functions you most want to use at once are on different layers.
Moog is not the only company that does this. And to their credit, I like the tactile experience of those buttons and how they have bicolor LEDs to indicate the state. But using OB6, MG1 and SH09 where a knob or slider is what it says it is, that's much more rewarding. And easier to deal with after the 3rd or 4th joint.
Neo
Ranstedt wrote:
I want to purchase this synth but I'm not sure i'll be able to preorder. I'm thinking I'd be able to buy one sometime in September but I'm nervous I might not be able to find one.

Thanks.

I think you can place an order with Noise Bug without paying until it arrives, and it's looking like at least October till they ship
Ranstedt
Neo wrote:
Ranstedt wrote:

Thanks.

I think you can place an order with Noise Bug without paying until it arrives, and it's looking like at least October till they ship

October? Ouch. Hopefully it doesn't get pushed back even further.

Do you know the difference between the moogfest and regular version? To me it seems like the moogfest version is numbered and the regular version isn't. Yet musiciansfriend is showing you can select the black version. I've never seen a black version.

Thanks.
naos
Thanks to that cringefest commercial I lost all religious/fetichist tendencies and interest I ever had towards that brand - to be fair it should have happened with the Sirin commercial already.
Hermetech Mastering
naos wrote:
Thanks to that cringefest commercial I lost all religious/fetichist tendencies and interest I ever had towards that brand - to be fair it should have happened with the Sirin commercial already.

Thanks for letting us know.

(Goes back to twiddling knobs on The Grandmother, the best analogue synth I have ever owned, in 27 years of owning analogue synths...)
Panason
But he/she didn't say the GM is bad! having said that, the GM does seem to have a shoddy build quality (shite PSU jack/socket, buttons feel like a Tandy) and has the usual Moog excessive price tag. It seems to be made as cheaply as possible- doesn't even qualify as furniture! twisted I tried it in a shop and failed to see what makes it worth a grand. It's a(nother) basic analog monosynth with a few token patch points.

It's tragic that anyone would buy a Matriarch over the Summit or the Super-6 but of course these synths do not have the genuine analog tone or the Moog (pronounced Mogue of course) brand name.
love
Hermetech Mastering
I couldn't disagree with you more strongly after owing The Grandmother for a few months, but it'd just be pissing in the wind... Miley Cyrus

I'm probably gonna pick up a Matriarch to pair with it too, but will wait until at least six months after it's released, as I always prefer to get a later batch if I can.
stringtapper
The GC rep seems to think that the Matriarchs slated to ship in July will still ship next week and that the October date is for anyone who ordered after a certain point up to now. Let’s hope they’re right.
LameAim
stringtapper wrote:
The GC rep seems to think that the Matriarchs slated to ship in July will still ship next week and that the October date is for anyone who ordered after a certain point up to now. Let’s hope they’re right.

That was the impression I got from my last conversation with them as well.
Ranstedt
I received an email reply from Moog on 4/2 saying "As for Matriarch the release date is on schedule for late summer.."
booger
Anyone get any updates to the Matriarch delivery date? I was still under the impression that they were backordered until October.
radialMelt
I have one on pre-order from my local shop (who do quite a lot of business with Moog from what I understand). Last I asked (this past Friday) they had "no date" for when they expect to receive the Matriarch units. I am in Canada FYI.
stringtapper
booger wrote:
Anyone get any updates to the Matriarch delivery date? I was still under the impression that they were backordered until October.

A Moog rep told me last week in an email that they are still planning to ship the first run “late summer.”
deanrinehart
I got on the Sweetwater list at 9am the day it was announced. My rep says end of September. Originally July.
mome rath
radialMelt wrote:
I have one on pre-order from my local shop (who do quite a lot of business with Moog from what I understand). Last I asked (this past Friday) they had "no date" for when they expect to receive the Matriarch units. I am in Canada FYI.

we're not worthy

matriarch looks like it will be worth the wait
Neo
Just in case you need a little more GAS in your tank...

mknogge
I have preordered one. It seems pretty amazing and should mate well with my modular.

mkk
anselmi
Neo wrote:
Just in case you need a little more GAS in your tank...

some really great stuff in this video...lovely synth...next year for me
chromakey
I've been on the fence about how to rebuild my studio after selling most of gear off last year in preparation for a big move. It was mostly stuff I had picked up cheap on ebay or elsewhere 15-20 years ago, a lot of digital interface hell and oddballs. I sold a Radioshack/Moog MG-1, an Oberheim Matrix 1000, an Akai AX73, Kawai K1rII, K3, K4r, K5m, Yamaha TX81Z. With the exception of the MG-1, they weren't much fun to create patches on. For a long while, I was working mostly with VSTi's in Cubase.

Anyway, I moved eight months ago. The Matriarch seems to be the synth that makes me want to hop off the fence. I think it will offer me a more joyful direct connection to experiment with the instrument, while also being immediately flexible enough with its paraphony to be a nice composition tool too. And it's an obvious starting point for Eurorack. I've preordered the Moog last week, though who even knows when it'll appear. In the meantime, I work on assembling a modest eurorack and studio infrastructure...
nativestate
On order. Can't wait for my first poly moogoodness.
Sounds From The Shed
I've thought about getting one of these, still have a preorder, but I have a Moog One and rarely use it, it sounds nice, but I prefer smaller mono synths that punch above their weight. I'll probably still end up getting one though.
LameAim
Played one of these a couple of days ago. Definitely felt like one of those synths you could get lost in for absurd amounts of time, and that's even before I started patching a few things.

Super glad I pre-ordered one and can't wait for it to show up.
Technologear?
chromakey wrote:
I've been on the fence about how to rebuild my studio after selling most of gear off last year in preparation for a big move. It was mostly stuff I had picked up cheap on ebay or elsewhere 15-20 years ago, a lot of digital interface hell and oddballs..
..The Matriarch... I think it will offer me a more joyful direct connection to experiment with the instrument, while also being immediately flexible enough with its paraphony to be a nice composition tool too.
..In the meantime, I work on assembling a modest eurorack and studio infrastructure...

I think it was both courageous and clever to sell off that gear. It is a glorious time to be a synth nerd, so many wonderful instruments available. I have the Grandmother and get deeply absorbed into it, unlike anything I've tried from the mid '80s to '10s. Very good odds you'll feel similarly with the Matriarch.

Good luck with the studio build, I hope this response motivates you through the 'boring'* setup phase to reach the creative experimental phase once it's done and instruments get hooked up.

*- I really enjoy studio building and setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 12