MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yamaha CS80 re-issue (or not)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Yamaha CS80 re-issue (or not)
UltraViolet
sduck wrote:
I would think (hope?) that they would perhaps license the DDRM design for the sound engine, hopefully with some tweaks to make it a bit more robust.

Getting past NIH (not invented here) would be pretty tough for a big corporation like Yamaha. They would have to create their own design, but it might end up being something similar to Deckard's Dream (which would be great since 100kg is not really portable). If it has the defining qualities of the CS-80 and isn't insanely expensive, there is definitely a market. But, maybe not enough of a market alone. However, it could become the flagship for a Yamaha relaunch into the analog market. That could be what they are really hoping to do.
Dave Peck
Since the Deckard's Dream already exists, I don't see how there could be a market for this.

To be successful, it would have to be a product that is aimed at customers who want a CS-80 clone / re-issue, but want one that is somehow significantly different from the Deckard's Dream.... while still being a CS-80 clone/re-issue... What kind of a product could that be?
UltraViolet
Deckard's Dream is an awesome product, but it isn't a full clone of the CS-80 and doesn't have the ribbon controller and polyphonic after touch built in. But, I think you are correct in that it has already taken some of the potential buyers for a CS-80 reissue.
SynthBaron
But the DD isn't a clone, it's merely inspired by the CS-80.
UltraViolet
SynthBaron wrote:
But the DD isn't a clone, it's merely inspired by the CS-80.

Thanks. That is what I was trying to say, but you said it better.
supersuper
of two minds about this:

on one side - we have the deckards dream and a plethora of emulations

on the other side - have synthesizers matured to the point, in terms of reference content produced with them, that we should now expected traditional implementations much like there are various established brass and wind instruments in traditional orchestra? I think Moog and Korg have done this and I applaud them for it.

It would be nice to see Yamaha produce a reissue from the latter perspective and perhaps open up a facilities to refurb the existing units. Its sad to think that various lower level CS models have been ripped apart just to maintain 80s.
synthetic
Would be amazing but I'm skeptical. The inside of a CS80 looks like a telephone exchange circa 1970, and I'm not sure how a surface-mount version would sound.

Oh yeah I guess I do know how it could sound -- like DD. Which didn't excite me at all. Anyone who thinks DD sounds just like a CS80 needs to listen to a real one for 10 seconds:

(Yes, I've played them both.)

But I think Yamaha could do an amazing job, they have an incredible team to pull that off.
SynthBaron
Them finding that CS-80, combined with this "focus group" they have going on, makes me think they're well on their way to making a functional prototype.
Hyberus
It's certainly an interesting idea. The CS80 was a lovely instrument to play (even for a hamfisted player like me), but was virtually impossible to program, not very stable and extremely heavy.

If you could get the sound, improve the storage, and make it light enough for one person to carry comfortably then, yes, brilliant. Otherwise . . .
nadafarms
synthetic wrote:
Would be amazing but I'm skeptical. The inside of a CS80 looks like a telephone exchange circa 1970, and I'm not sure how a surface-mount version would sound.

Oh yeah I guess I do know how it could sound -- like DD. Which didn't excite me at all. Anyone who thinks DD sounds just like a CS80 needs to listen to a real one for 10 seconds:

(Yes, I've played them both.)

But I think Yamaha could do an amazing job, they have an incredible team to pull that off.

Yeah I was really excited to get the DD after waiting a year, I sold it in a month it just wasn’t vibey.

Listening to how good the Behringer monosynth clones are, makes me think it’s possible to make a closer clone of the cs80. I would pay 5k if it sounded good and had a really expressive polyaftertouch keyboard and some new features
PYJAMAGROOVE
I have a CS80 and CS70M.
The sound is identical but the synths are not. The CS80 is "alive"...
I've heard hours of DD demos. It's great but it's not it for me. Sorry.

Vangelis had said in one of his interviews that he had hoped that Yamaha will develop the CS80 more, make it even better and more modern. He was disappointed when they dropped the ball.
I think that it is not fair that so few people have access to the CS80 and Yamaha should release a wonderful new synth, and call it CS90. It should be fully analog. They should also take it's great user interface to the new level but not overdo it (remember A6?). And who needs 500 presets? You need only few good ones and that's exactly what is so great about CS80. You can mix them together, adjust a bit (gray interface again) and always get something good. And I mean ALWAYS.
WilDFire
I agree this should come from Yamaha instead of Behringer. They have the money. They have the audience. If people are buying Moog Ones they will buy this.
Panason
Quote:
Please note we move in a very deliberate manner;
Very likely a reaction to Behringer's aspirations and possibly nothing more than a bluff.

Quote:
Since the Deckard's Dream already exists, I don't see how there could be a market for this.

I think there are a lot of people who would buy from a Yamaha dealer but not from a relatively unknown boutique outfit, and have to import it themselves from Japan.
mmp
I wish Behringer would make a robust controller with poly-aftertouch. A lot of the expressive magic in a CS-80 is from P-AT and there are so many other synths set up to receive it.
calaveras
mmp wrote:
I wish Behringer would make a robust controller with poly-aftertouch. A lot of the expressive magic in a CS-80 is from P-AT and there are so many other synths set up to receive it.

I think you are looking for the Behringer CS80 thread? This is the Yamaha thread.
mmp
I suppose you could try and police that. But, then I guess all mentions of Deckard’s Dream would be off limits too?

calaveras wrote:
mmp wrote:

I think you are looking for the Behringer CS80 thread? This is the Yamaha thread.
sduck
No, he means your comment seems like it would be more appropriate in the thread about behringers version of the cs-80 - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217060 - why would it matter what kind of keyboard that behringer used in their version in a thread about the yamaha version? It's not about a rule or policing, it just seems like a non-sequitor here.
mmp
I thought it was relevant in that the poly aftertouch keyboard is a lot of what makes a CS-80 special and nobody is really making one presently. I think a Deckard’s Dream sounds closer when driven by a poly aftertouch capable controller. I also think a lot of the GAS for a replica CS80 would go away if we all had an affordable polyaftertouch controller hooked to the synths we already own. I would have kept my CS50 & CS60 if they had poly aftertouch.

But, seeming the consensus is this is too tangential to a CS80 conversation, I am happy to desist. Over & out.

sduck wrote:
No, he means your comment seems like it would be more appropriate in the thread about behringers version of the cs-80 - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217060 - why would it matter what kind of keyboard that behringer used in their version in a thread about the yamaha version? It's not about a rule or policing, it just seems like a non-sequitor here.
calaveras
sduck wrote:

This

I'm not the arbiter of taste or anything.
Just think it belongs more on the BS80 thread.
Besides, if Yamaha makes a module version, don't think a company of their resources would have difficulty making a poly aftertouch controller which exceeds Fatar's products. But again, it requires the will to do so.
Yamaha didn't vanish from musical equipment. They are well regarded for pianos, brass instruments, drums and pretty much anything else they try their hand at.
I suppose it boils down to some VP of product management having a passion for the old CS80 enough to ignore short term losses incurred by re-engineering it for modern technology, and modern users.
It will have to have MIDI. It's going to need to be a lot more reliable and stable than the original. Contemporary MI consumers are notoriously entitled and complainy.

As far as a Behringer poly controller. I'm sure that would have a market. But I'm pretty sure folks who spring for a CS80 MKII module will be out of pocket $3-5000. It would seem kind of jarring to put the budget keyboard controller in front of that when you are trying to teleport to someplace inside Oxygene. I guess wood end cheeks might help.
mmp
Well I wish someone would come out with a poly aftertouch controller of merit. Seeming this is the Yamaha thread, please Yamaha do this.
umma gumma
man, I would be ecstatic if Yamaha commtted to building a CS90, with some improvements, but kept it all analog
UltraViolet
mmp wrote:
Well I wish someone would come out with a poly aftertouch controller of merit. Seeming this is the Yamaha thread, please Yamaha do this.

I second that. Yamaha are you listening?
damase
UltraViolet wrote:
mmp wrote:

I second that. Yamaha are you listening?

yes please just a nice piano style controller with poly aftertouch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2