MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kijimi General Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Kijimi General Build Thread
LED-man
The kijimi pcbs arrived the first users.
The BOM is available at the end of this week.

For all users who can’t wait:
Roman confirmed: all SMT caps are 100nF (0.1uF) 0805 format,
feel free to start with it, (except for the marked „PTC“)
Furthermore the VCF is designed for the SSI2144 (SMT), you need one per voicecard.

The Panel and Case is available for preorder:
http://siddarthianinnovations.bigcartel.com/product/kijimi-front-panel -and-rack-case-preorder
sduck
Thanks! PCB scans attached - the non-stitched versions, straight out of my scanner.
tobb
LED-man wrote:

Furthermore the VCF is designed for the SSI2144 (SMT)

!!! original design was SSM2040 clone,bey bey RSF Kobol/Voyetra 8 sounds :(
LED-man
Yes..
Let’s wait.. Roman designed the PCB to use DIP versions too,
I don’t know, maybe it’s possible to adapt the HM2040
tobb
He did is own SSM2040 clone,there was no HM2040 involved in the original design.

Adaption would be awesome so you can have the synth sounding like a Polykobol or KObol/Voyetra.

Maybe he did the change market-wise to be leader as i told him Moslab/Behring (strong rumors) is probably working on a Polykobol clone to.
Twyx
I have my boards too, and have pre-ordered the case. This will be my first custom build of this scale. Lot sand lots of DIPs on this one.

On these builds, is there really any benefit to using DIP sockets instead of soldering the DIPs in directly? We often see cold/oxidized joints on old socketed DIPs, but being able to swap them seems like a nice benefit.
hamildad
Interested in this, but as a committed wait till V2 is released person, I wish all the initial builders the best of luck.

we're not worthy
sduck
Twyx wrote:

On these builds, is there really any benefit to using DIP sockets instead of soldering the DIPs in directly? We often see cold/oxidized joints on old socketed DIPs, but being able to swap them seems like a nice benefit.

I always use them. Properly soldered, you don't get "cold/oxidized joints".
Chrutil
tobb wrote:
LED-man wrote:

I commented on this on the facebook forum, since I know the Kobol and Expander was ssm2040, and he said that the PolyKobol used 2044 which was a surprise (and slight disappointment) to me.
Chrutil
sduck wrote:
Twyx wrote:

I always use them. Properly soldered, you don't get "cold/oxidized joints".

Indeed, me too. With a build of this complexity, the ability to swap out ICs for potential problem solving is really helpful.
tobb
Chrutil wrote:
tobb wrote:
LED-man wrote:

I commented on this on the facebook forum, since I know the Kobol and Expander was ssm2040, and he said that the PolyKobol used 2044 which was a surprise (and slight disappointment) to me.

I mean the original Kijimi project was to use a 2040 filter design,he was aware also of the 2044 in the Polykobol but apparently made a change to the project.

Roman contacted me couple years ago to have info about a 2040 filter he intended to use in a new 8-voice rack synth project where he did want to couple a sort of polyphonic Buchla 259 and using SSM2040 for the filter.

I rather suggested to drop the 259 idea and instead doing a polyphonic Kobol (NOT Polylkobol avoiding that weak 2044 filter,no one is waiting for a boosted Polisix at 3k$...)

Then i insisted to add audio FM to the filter so the synth can do Prophet 5 REv2 sounds

So you get Kobol vco's with morphing shapes,a massive sounding filter + Prophet filter FM.

At least its good he implemented the vco to filter FM.

While the 2044 is an accurate filter design imo its a weak spot,all the bass balls are gone..

Also when you turn up the Q to much low end drops with the 2044 and this is bad thing for some typical filter fm sounds.
mbroers
interesting - anyone want to speculate on the likelihood/complexity of 2040 adaption?
Chrutil
tobb wrote:

I mean the original Kijimi project was to use a 2040 filter design,he was aware also of the 2044 in the Polykobol but apparently made a change to the project.

Oohh I see that's a bummer, at least for me who thought PolyKobol was based on 2040 smile
I got the impression from Roman's Facebook comment that there is footprint on the voice cards for another upcoming version of the 2044 as well as the ssi2144, but I think if there was a provision for a different *kind* of filter, like the 2040, we would have known.
Anyway, looking forward to the BOM so we can start!
LED-man
HM2040 implementation would be nice.
tobb
i think an 2040 adapter 'plug-in' will not be possible w/o modding/adding some electronics.

Will ask Roman if he is whiling to do a 2040 voice-card sets.

I am pretty certain he have proto 2040 based voice-cards,if there is enough demand he might whiling to offer 2040 voice-card sets.

BUT it might be possible he will reserve that for a Voyetra 8 or P5 Rev2 clone.. because his voice-cards are 3340 based,its just about to pull the Kobol shaper circuit and bring out the individual waveform and you have a P5 Rev2 or Voyetra clone.
tobb
Chrutil wrote:

Oohh I see that's a bummer, at least for me who thought PolyKobol was based on 2040 smile

RSF did made Polyphonic Kobols

It was the Kobol Expander racks with 4 voice-cards inside .

Those are extremely rare,only few where made,i know a guy who has two of them,they sound absolutely massive destruction.

The idea was to replicate this in 8 voice..
nicdro
Dont argue on what is written on paper. I think roman had a reason for using the 2044 filter. Everyone is complaining when a clone isn’t 100% the same but now with the same filter there are still complaints. And it shouldn’t be a seen as a clone - it is more! It is “just” inspired by the Polykobol. My prebuilt Version sounds awesome! I don’t regret buying it and I don’t care if it has a 2044, 2040 or a xyz filter in it as long as it sounds good or let me create new sounds. AND: when it sounds like a polysix then you probably do something wrong as this does a hell different job!
tobb
nicdro wrote:
when it sounds like a polysix then you probably do something wrong as this does a hell different job!

It definitely will have the same sound color as a Polysix because its the exact same filter..
mbroers
Im totally fine either way, was just curious and hopeful that these reissue filter chips could be swapped with maybe some minor changes. Im comfortable with some level of modding but unless its straightforward im cool with stock design of course. The demos I've heard sound good to my ears

Rockin' Banana!
Chrutil
I'm fine either way too.
I already have an ssm2044 poly in the PPG Wave 2.3, and was excited about the prospect of a 2040 based synth, but any time I hear Mos-Lab Seb demo his PolyKobol I want one, so I'll take it regardless of filter.
The 2044 has gorgeous pads and such, but the 2040 is instant badass.
I do have both a SynthTech e440 and a MOTM 440 filter (sort of discrete 2040's) so perhaps getting a few more and build a poly out of them is the way to go help
kristop
Is there an estimate for all the parts on top of the $1000 for the PCBs?
Chrutil
kristop wrote:
Is there an estimate for all the parts on top of the $1000 for the PCBs?

There is no BOM yet so no, not yet.
Once the BOM is posted (any day now, hopefully) we will see.
nicdro
tobb wrote:
nicdro wrote:
when it sounds like a polysix then you probably do something wrong as this does a hell different job!

It definitely will have the same sound color as a Polysix because its the exact same filter..

So it does sound as a voyetra as well as it got the same filter and as a polykobol ii as well - as intended. So I do not see anything wrong here.
What I was referring to was if it makes the same sound as a polysix you do not take advantage of the huge amount of modulation you can add to form the sound and its color.
tobb
nicdro wrote:
tobb wrote:
nicdro wrote:

So it does sound as a voyetra as well as it got the same filter and as a polykobol ii as well - as intended. So I do not see anything wrong here.
What I was referring to was if it makes the same sound as a polysix you do not take advantage of the huge amount of modulation you can add to form the sound and its color.

Sorry i am confused what the Voyetra filter type is,i don't know this synth to be honest.

I just know how much better the 2040 is over a 2044 (owning Kobols and a P5 Rev2 before)and once you know that you don't want to go back using a 2044 anywhere other then a exact 1/1 replica,for a new 'inspired by' synth i would try to get advantage out of it over the vintage model wink

Anyway its how it is now.
Twyx
Does anybody know what is up with the BOM for Kijimi?

If I end up having to wait for components that are not in stock because the pre-bundled kit vendors have the BOM already, this would be quite a slap in the face.

After all, I've invested more than I'd spend on many synths just to have the privilege of waiting so far, and yet I'm still sitting on my hands.

To be honest, I'd rather it be right than too early. I'm just looking for a morsel of transparency and respect here. I've got $1300 worth of useless parts without a bill of materials. I know the folks at Black Corp are serious about their craft, but I'm starting to wonder about the rest.

Any new info? Any insight? I feeling a bit left in the dark.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2