MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mini euro Serge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mini euro Serge
ayacombe
I am considering starting a small euro-serge system.
I am not super experienced, but I am really interested in the openness of serge modules, and that they be connected to my other modules.
But the question is which modules to start with to make a small complete system?
My plan is DUSG + SSG + VCFQ
What else do you think I need?
Voltage_Controller
Hard to answer the question of what you need because you are talking about tools for music production. What type of music do you make / want to make?
Give us an idea what you are going for - techno? abstract noise? 70's soundtracks?
luketeaford
The Serge creature panel is a dusg, ssg, vcfq and cross fader. It can do so much and seems like a great starter system. Dusg, ssg, vcfq is enough for a start as long as you realize it's not going to do conventional monosynth stuff as easily.

I'd start there and expand as you feel the need-- I'd add the vcm next but Serge modules are so deep they will keep you curious for a long time!
ayacombe
Voltage_Controller wrote:
Hard to answer the question of what you need because you are talking about tools for music production. What type of music do you make / want to make?
Give us an idea what you are going for - techno? abstract noise? 70's soundtracks?

Once you have indicated that, let us know what other modules you already have, and what role your current system plays in your production / goals.

Well, my background is definitely harmonic/melodic stuff (70s soundtracks from your list), but I am curious about exploring the possibilities a serge system has to offer
OIP
yeah that's going to give you a fun combo. if in euro some mults will be very helpful especially for SSG.

mixer and/or VCA functions would be handy.
CLee
I would definitely add a Wave Multipliers to your list. Bonus is that the top section can work as a VCA
gryfon1
I second the recommendation for the wave multipliers. The DUSG + Wave Multipliers can provide hours of fun sonic exploration. It’s the module pairing of my dreams.
stickmann
If I had to start with three R*S Euro Serge modules I would probably go with:

DUSG
SSG
VCM (Wave Mults)

VCFQ is good but you'll get more of the 'Serge' sound with the VCM, in my opinion. The SSG and DUSG can act as rudimentary low pass filters until you're ready to add the VCFQ or VCFS. It probably depends on preference though. Some might prefer a more subtractive synth approach and go with the VCFQ over the VCM. The four of these modules (DUSG, SSG, VCM, VCFQ) would be a fun system. You could even go a more melodic approach and substitute the SSG for the NTO but you'd lose out on some unique modulation and utility capabilities. Any route you go, three modules should be enough to keep you busy for a while.

I'd highly recommend getting a bunch of stackcables or a few mults. It is important to be able to get comfortable with the idea of feedback patching with Serge, particularly within the VCM.
Gandalf
ayacombe wrote:
I am considering starting a small euro-serge system.
I am not super experienced, but I am really interested in the openness of serge modules, and that they be connected to my other modules.
But the question is which modules to start with to make a small complete system?
My plan is DUSG + SSG + VCFQ
What else do you think I need?

ELBY Designs has some systems configured by Doug Lynner including the Teaser which has a Noise Module, Envelope Generator, Positive & Negative Slew and a Smooth & Stepped Generator and is designed to get you the basic as an introduction to Serge
Rex Coil 7
I have the same aspiration ("fakester serge") so I put together this little rig.

I can use the two Doepfer VCOs as signal sources, or modulators. The two Bastl Hendrickson modules allow using pretty much any synth as a source.

MI Warps.
Intellijel uFoldII
Doepfer Dual Ring Mod
Happy Nerding FM-Aid.
Intellijel Polaris ... just cuz.

cool

I've a few modulators on hand as well (MATHS, EGs, LFOs, Matrix Mixer ... and so on).
brandonlogic
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I have the same aspiration ("fakester serge") so I put together this little rig.

I can use the two Doepfer VCOs as signal sources, or modulators. The two Bastl Hendrickson modules allow using pretty much any synth as a source.

MI Warps.
Intellijel uFoldII
Doepfer Dual Ring Mod
Happy Nerding FM-Aid.

cool

I've a few modulators on hand as well (MATHS, EGs, LFOs, Matrix Mixer ... and so on).

Cool system, but what does this system have to do with serge? Warps and Polaris especially are pretty far from anything serge like.

Euro serge: random source, elby, cgs, arc, toppobrillo

To the op, I’d recommend checking out the New Timbral Oscillator or two in addition to what you mentioned
Rex Coil 7
brandonlogic wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

MI Warps.
Intellijel uFoldII
Doepfer Dual Ring Mod
Happy Nerding FM-Aid.

cool

Cool system, but what does this system have to do with serge? Warps and Polaris especially are pretty far from anything serge like.

Euro serge: random source, elby, cgs, arc, toppobrillo
How is the Warps not a wave multiplier? And just because you've never used a filter as part of a sound that does "Serge-like" sounds doesn't mean it can't be done. It's a test rig ... that said, some of the modules have already been rejected for the purpose of creating basic waveshapes and wave multiplication. "Random Source" ... there's more than one way to get there as well. That little test cabinet is just that. It's to audition what will go along with this ......

luchog
While the DUSG can definitely function as an oscillator (and the R*S version at least will track 1/voct), I'd want to include the NTO for a dedicated oscillator, freeing the DUSG up for other functions, such as envelope generation, FM oscillator, etc.

Aside from that, either a TWS+ to play with timbre and add some interesting tones, or a multi-function module like R*S's new Active Pro / Noise / Precision CV-Pro module to add a whole lot of CV/audio processing, with a noise source to feed the SSG's S&H circuit for random CV.

Stackables or their equivalent are mandatory, unless you want to add at least a couple buffered mults.

A total of about five or six modules that should provide hours of sonic exploration for quite some time to come.
vibralux
I had a nice three panel 3U Serge system. And the only modules I miss are
VCFQ (absolutely unique) and Wavemultipier. DUSG could be replaced easily with Maths. For me VCFQ is the essecne of Serge sound and that would be enough for me. I also had a WAD and THAT was great, but not 3k$ great and I would rather get 10 other delay for that price, which I kinda did after all Rockin' Banana!
luchog
vibralux wrote:
VCFQ (absolutely unique) and Wavemultipier. DUSG could be replaced easily with Maths.

Maths won't track 1v/oct last I checked, while the R*S DUSG mk2 will track 1v/oct up to 4 octaves. So there's that to consider as well.
luketeaford
I agree with Luchog-- I LOVE Maths, but for the audio rate patches, DUSG is much nicer: oscillator, filter, envelope follower, subharmonic generator.

For everything else: Maths is nicer and easier I find.
Gringo Starr
Look at the Animal panel. It’s the perfect designed small complete Serge System. Build that in euro, add a DUSG, and call it a day.

vibralux
+1 on the Animal. I had Animoo (Animal with some extras) WAD and ResEQ panels plus TKB. If I had to repurchase, I say Animal would definitely suffice. Heck, maybe I will repurchase it in Euro after all. help
pieter
I have an unused 84 hp skiff with a row power. Very tempted to DIY this:

rico loverde
This would be what id do regarding a euro serge. Basically an animal with an extra DUSG and a CV processor. 2 rows 84HP.

Rex Coil 7
luchog wrote:
vibralux wrote:
VCFQ (absolutely unique) and Wavemultipier. DUSG could be replaced easily with Maths.

Maths won't track 1v/oct last I checked,
Yes it does, it can be good for ~roughly~ 3 octaves. At least, all four of mine do.
wminor
I hope it's not inappropriate for me to post this here, but I have full DIY kits for euro versions of both the DUSG and the SSG for sale over in the "For Sale / Trade" subforum. I think they're otherwise quite hard to find at the moment, at least in the US.
luchog
This is my current R*S EuroSerge case (with some extras). I have a bunch of non-R*S stuff that's in a different rack and not shown, which covers other stuff like noise and random and additional dedicated VCOs.

luketeaford
pieter wrote:
I have an unused 84 hp skiff with a row power. Very tempted to DIY this:

This would be my 4 module serge system for sure. Guinness ftw!
moremagic
why go ssg when the sport modulator exists?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2