MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Real analogue envelopes vs Reaktor/ DC Coupled CV
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Real analogue envelopes vs Reaktor/ DC Coupled CV
Surface Noises
I'm new to modular and have been experimenting with using a DC coupled interface and Reaktor to provide envelopes, LFOS as well as pitch and gate.

I love the tightness of the sequencing now possible from Ableton with CV - which, it seems to me, is much better than MIDI.

But I had a question about the envelopes. Can they ever be as good as 'real' analogue envelopes? I've been trying to recreate the SH 101 and 303 accent envelopes in software and then sending them out of a DC coupled interface.

But they never seem to have quite the snap and twang of the old Roland envelopes.

So my question is this: am I imagining this? Can envelopes produced in software and beamed out through DC coupled interface be as good as hardware envelopes.

Also: hi! I'm hoping to get a bit more active on these forums now I've got into modular world at long last.

Thanks!

S/N
colb
Surface Noises wrote:
Can they ever be as good as 'real' analogue envelopes?

depends what you mean by 'good'
Quote:

I've been trying to recreate the SH 101 and 303 accent envelopes in software and then sending them out of a DC coupled interface.

But they never seem to have quite the snap and twang of the old Roland envelopes.

Accurately modelling things is difficult.
Quote:

So my question is this: am I imagining this? Can envelopes produced in software and beamed out through DC coupled interface be as good as hardware envelopes.

If you are sequencing and sending all your control CV from the computer then yes. The actual envelope shapes from something like Reaktor _can_ be close enough to hardware shapes that you won't be able to tell the difference. Depends what algorithms you develop and implement and how well you tune them of course.

If you want to mix computer generated envelopes with hardware ones, you might run into latency problems.
hamildad
Welcome fellow London Wiggler.

Some 'analogue' envelopes that are available are digital under the hood, the STG envelope generator is my first example.

I dont think there is much to compare but once you get into short A/D times, you might get some stranger behavior from an old analogue design which affects the sound, like the Moog model D retrigger behavior.
Surface Noises
Thanks! Glad to be here.
Interesting. I have to say that the DC coupled interface lets you get a lot of synth for not a lot of money. I've got two voices going already and have only had to buy four modules (two filters and two VCAS) with all oscillators and modulation managed by Reaktor.
Got my first analogue oscillator on the way, so let's see what happens!

hamildad wrote:
Welcome fellow London Wiggler.

Some 'analogue' envelopes that are available are digital under the hood, the STG envelope generator is my first example.

I dont think there is much to compare but once you get into short A/D times, you might get some stranger behavior from an old analogue design which affects the sound, like the Moog model D retrigger behavior.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1