MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tuning modular to base note and live musicians
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Tuning modular to base note and live musicians
musicweasel
I have a Make Noise System that I've been using more and more for live performance. One thing that has been problematic for me is the sensitivity of the freq controls, tuning live with other musicians and how the frequency correlates with Rene's CV output. It is fine if you are doing a solo performance - you don't need to tune to anyone else. I have 2 issues that i could use help with:

1) What do you do to make sure that (for instance) Rene's quantization correlates with the notes represented because it is arbitrary until you put the freq control in the tiniest little spot - It is fine to do fine tuning in the studio, but for live perf I don't want it to slip.

2) Let's say the next song we are playing is in Bb min and I have a Rene sequence in Bb Min but my DPO is outputting A 220hz. How can I quickly get things in order? Do I have to retune DPO on the spot? And if so, to which frequency so that it scales correctly? Or is there a way to get it to just lock with Rene?

Any other tips you might suggest for playing a modular live?
SmartBits
One solution might be a precision adder. I particularly like the vpme.de T43. You can tune your DPO to a certain base frequency and add or subtract via the T43. That way you don't have to touch the DPO frequency pots.
Pelsea
You can also use the rene's X and Y modulation attenuators to tweak the tuning. In any case the secret is an inexpensive pocket tuner like the Korg CA-50.
Rex Coil 7
SmartBits wrote:
One solution might be a precision adder. I particularly like the vpme.de T43. You can tune your DPO to a certain base frequency and add or subtract via the T43. That way you don't have to touch the DPO frequency pots.
I have two of those T43 units. Good stuff.
Triglav
Some tips: Get a tuner with a jack input, tune during soundcheck (for example set René to output a C and tune your DPO to C) then correct any drifting before the performance. If your rig has been running for 20+ minutes, it shouldn't really go out of tune. Don't touch the frequency pot, set the scales with René. If you accidentally knock it out of tune, you can use the tuner to set it back without sending sound to the PA.
Virusinstaller
Something like the Audiothingies CED tuner or the Noise Engineering ... something something name modules. It has jacks, can quickly tune the frequency knob on the oscillator, something like and O+C to quickly quantise to the right scale.
Keltie
Triglav wrote:
Some tips: Get a tuner with a jack input, tune during soundcheck (for example set René to output a C and tune your DPO to C) then correct any drifting before the performance. If your rig has been running for 20+ minutes, it shouldn't really go out of tune. Don't touch the frequency pot, set the scales with René. If you accidentally knock it out of tune, you can use the tuner to set it back without sending sound to the PA.

+1

It’s a bit extravagant, but if you have the space, budget and don’t mind the extra patch cables, you can send up to 4 outputs into and then out of Mordax data, and get real time, graphical tuning feedback on any of them at any time. Any other modular tuner with an input fed straight to an output will do the same, or you could patch it with a mult.

I usually tune all my oscs to “ no cv input = 65 point ? Something ? hertz = c1.” By just pulling the v/Oct input. Assuming your oscs are tracking ok, that should work, and it does for me. You could choose any frequency you like of course, but makes sense to go with this figure to me ( which means a3= 440)
JES
I have found a pocket tuner very useful. The Rene is great in a lot of ways but other sequencers can work in notes and keys. For playing with others I use a Linnstrument, but I am eager to tr out my Vector Sequencer as well.
R.U.Nuts
If you play with rock guitarists all you need to do is to tune your VCOs to A or E Miley Cyrus Seriously, this is how I do it.
Kabuki
musicweasel wrote:
Any other tips you might suggest for playing a modular live?

I often play together with live musicians, and found the following 3 concepts the most useful:

1 - Tune the DPO to C1 and then set the quantizer to the scale of the tune. If it's C minor you go C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb, and if it's F minor you go C-Db-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb, which means you might have to re-set the knob values so that (for example) on the 1 count you have the root and not the fifth playing.
2 - Tune the DPO to C1, and then set the quantizer for the X channel to a C minor scale. The XCV output goes in one input on the Doepfer Precision Quantizer, where I add the YCV value (unclocked) to another input to transpose the scale. If the tune is in F, you simply need to send an F from the Y channel
3 - is like 2, but without the Quantizer. Instead, I simply retune using the pitch knob on the DPO which can be tricky but also interesting smile

FYI, this is an example of where I accompany a Jazz band with my system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecABVc_pRZQ

Hope that helps!
batch
Remove the frequency knob so as not to knock it by accident.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1