MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some FH-1 questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Some FH-1 questions
eclectics
Sorry -- I realise this module has been superseded. I've mostly used the FH-1 for clocks and lfos, but I'm integrating my iPad and modular more these days, and i've been looking to get more out of the FH-1 (and my new used FHX-1).

So I've got a few questions -- this is after several days of working with the module. I've read the manual and the forum; apologies if I've missed something.

How does the FH-1 lfo multiplier relate to the fader offset? ie if I've offset an LFO by half (64) so that my LFO is positive 0-5V (based on default jumper settings), do I need to set the LFO multiplier to half to avoid clipping-- or is this taken care of automatically (ie full multiplier always fits relative to the offsetted range?)
A concrete example-- to get a lfo from -2.5 - +2.5V, do I set multiplier to cc value 64 and offset to 32? For 0-5V, would it be multiplier 127 and offset 64?
what would multiplier 64 and offset 64 do?

Sequencer -- according to the manual there's no option for quantised output of Aii and Bii?. This isn't a worry, I just wanted to confirm it since there's a gap in the table after Aiii and Biii and it seemed odd?

What midi does the FH-1 send? I couldn't find any documentation on this. A forum post said that the current step was sent back on cc88 for the relevant channel? I can see this is working, but it's also sending some other Note On and Note Off messages, but the note values don't seem to correspond to the notes? With 1 cc active I get 3 Note On and 1 Note Off messages per step?

I was thinking it would be very nice if there were 2 cc's on a channel, that I could send a channel number and cc number as cc values, and get back the current state of the FH-1's relevant register on a defined cc. Then I could get my lemur interface to reflect the current state of the FH-1's faders and LFOs. But I understand if you're finished adding features to FH-1!

How do the Midi, X and internal clock relate with respect to clocked LFOs? I understand default behavior of LFOs is to keep going when clock stops (and there's a setting to change this if desired). It seems that when the midi clock stops, I can clock the X input, and the LFOs will change to follow that (as long as I don't make it too slow, too quickly). And I can unplug X and start up midi and they seem to go back to following midi clock. What happens when both X and Midi are running at the same time? One test I did it looked like the clocks were mixed, but I'm not sure.

Do the free running LFOs require the internal clock to be going? If I've set an output to be tempo clocked, can I change it to free running and vice versa? Do I have to do anything to the midi clock value, or does the most recent setting win? I haven't been able to get free running lfos working consistently.

I've had a few problems with the clock stopping (lights stop moving), when changing the midi clock divisor, but it's not consistent. I seem to have to reboot the module to get it to go again. Is there anything I should be careful of? It's not something I need to change really; the LFO clocked rates have never given issues, and I can alter the clock I'm sending from the ipad anyway.

Oh -- I noticed if you google FH-1 manual, it returns this page https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1usermanual.html which is the 1.8 version.

And the 2.2 manual page links to the 2.1 manual-- I'm guessing because there were usb compatibility updates, not functional changes?

Thanks!
os
Quote:
How does the FH-1 lfo multiplier relate to the fader offset?

What are these offsets? Sounds like something specific to your MIDI controller?

Quote:
Sequencer -- according to the manual there's no option for quantised output of Aii and Bii?

Correct.

Quote:
What midi does the FH-1 send?

It sends some messages to indicate the current sequencer step. So the note values relate to the position in the sequence, not the actual sequence pitch.

Quote:
What happens when both X and Midi are running at the same time?

I believe they will fight, with unpredictable results.

Quote:
Do the free running LFOs require the internal clock to be going?

No.

Quote:
If I've set an output to be tempo clocked, can I change it to free running and vice versa?

Yes. If you set the Speed it will become free running; if you send the Clocked Speed it will become clocked.

Quote:
And the 2.2 manual page links to the 2.1 manual-- I'm guessing because there were usb compatibility updates, not functional changes?

Yes.
eclectics
os wrote:
Quote:
How does the FH-1 lfo multiplier relate to the fader offset?

What are these offsets? Sounds like something specific to your MIDI controller?

Sorry I mean the fader level channel 1 cc0-7 (which i’m using to offset the lfo.)
os
Oh OK. The multiplier and offsets are independent.
eclectics
So if i understand correctly— wih default jumpers

multiplier at 50% (cc value 64) would make thr lfo 5v ptp , and fader at 25% would mean the lfo goes from +2.5 to -2.5V

Wih fader at 50%, I’d get 0- 5v

And with fader at 50% and multiplier at 100%, the lfo would get clipped.

I’m making myself a lenur patch for quick config . I’ll post it when its done.

Thanks very much for your continued support of this great module.
eclectics
Took a while but I worked out my confusion with the fader/LFO relationship.
I'd wrongly assumed that at the base fader level of 0, the fully multiplied lfo would be covering the full range from -5 to +5v.

In fact, the fader level sets the midpoint of the lfo. If the fader is above or below the midpoint, you'll want to reduce the LFO multiplier if you want to avoid clipping.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1