Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (and Wash)

A place for the string slingers, pedal freaks and amp snobs in our midst.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (and Wash)

Post by MindMachine » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 pm

Just came across this pedal. I like the demos I've seen. I currently use a Zvex Instant Lo Fi Junky and was considering a Copper Effects Generation Loss. I want another Lo Fi style box.

It would primarily be used for electronic organ, electronic piano, drum machines and different synthesizers or samples.

From what I can tell it has a bit more variety to it than the Cooper. They both seem really nice.

Any experience with the Wardenclyffe?

ps - the Hungry Robot Wash looks interesting too, but I already have an Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star that I use on bass.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 am

That thing sounds really cool and is smartly designed. I like the reverb and filter add-ins as they make the pedal special.

Every time that I’m tempted by pedals like this, I remember that I can and have built similar in my Axe-FX, which yields much more control via pedals, footswitches and MIDI. This one might make for a fun Sunday project. It sounds really good, dare I say better than the Zvex, as well as more flexible.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 pm

The Wardenclyffe sounds great but I think I can get quite similar results with a BBD delay set to fully wet, no feedback and shortest delay time with some subtle modulation added to the delay time for pitch warble...

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 am

I doubt that. You'd need to factor in the filters and the sustained reverb at least.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 am

I have both. I first picked up the Instant Lo-Fi and I love the warble side of the dial. Using it with synths, I'm not finding any use for the compression side. However, the Instant Lo-Fi adds so much noise to the signal chain that I wanted to get another warbler, so I picked up the Wardenclyffe. It's a thoughtful pedal, and I love the sound of the reverb, but I do like the Zvex's warble better than Wardenclyffe for some reason. I kinda want to try the CBA Warped Vinyl HiFi since it's based on the Instant Lo-Fi, with reduced noise.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 am

I have/use both the Wash and the Wardenclyffe, for all my outboard synths/drum machines. I am not personally a fan of bit reduction (I prefer smoother saturation only), so I've only got demos of the LoFi. But.... I absolutely love the sound that Hungry Robots goes for.
The wash, inside, has an honest-to-goodness cap cascade; and everything that implies. The reverb side is huge and smooth; leaning towards the big-ambient side of things. The delay is crackly, dark, and obviously aliases on high-freq sounds. The comparison in my mind is of the original Boss delay pedal from the 80s. Awesome, if that's the sound you're after. [The modulation on the delay/rvb fills the room with 'analog wonky goodness'.]
The Wardenclyffe has an awesome full chorus sound, with a lot of adjustability. I don't even bother with their built-in 'freeze-verb', 'cuz I have the Wash for that. But the lopass filter, and switchable waves, make for a very goo-ey sound. Not as super-modulated as a Dimension... More like a 'full' sound in the spectrum. I love it on 'boards; use it all the time.

Both are mono-only, coming from the guitar-pedal world; but that can be 'fixed' upstream (in yer DAW, or run through a stereo-spread pedal).

The company's production is all through-hole, looks all handmade, and construction looks bombproof. I have no affiliation with them (in case this looks like shameless plugging); but I'm always on the lookout when they release something new. I don't have any of their other pedals yet; most are some form of variation on the reverb/dly/mod categories (and I'm very happy with what I've got.

Bottom line: When you want down 'n dirty delay/verb/mod, it's just the thing. [I'm assuming you have some sort of clean alternative, when you want simple clean repeats, or shorter/more parameter-changing 'verbs...]

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:17 pm

Kent wrote:I doubt that. You'd need to factor in the filters and the sustained reverb at least.
Yeah sure, but I don't like that reverb anyway...

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:47 am

... Strymon DECO ...
You mean this place has hot chicks, morning drinking, and free vomit? ... I'm all in!
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: Hungry Robot Wardenclyffe (and Wash)

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Finally scored the Wardenclyffe tonight. On its way.

Muff s rules!

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 am

Congrats! Curious to know your thoughts/review; I haven't come across a lot of exposure to Hungry Robot stuff. I still am in love with my Warden, though I admit to never (virtually) using the on-board 'freeze' reverb (as stated, I've got others). For me, it's still my most 'colorful' chorus, much much more 'wet' than my Julia (and other varied analog/digital devices), and less noisy than my Clone Theory.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:39 am

^My audio chains are noisy as hell, so no concern to me there. I typically use RS-09> EH Small Stone >Lo Fi Junky and second channel >Mel9 pedal.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 am

hippo1 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:15 am
Congrats! Curious to know your thoughts/review; I haven't come across a lot of exposure to Hungry Robot stuff. I still am in love with my Warden, though I admit to never (virtually) using the on-board 'freeze' reverb (as stated, I've got others). For me, it's still my most 'colorful' chorus, much much more 'wet' than my Julia (and other varied analog/digital devices), and less noisy than my Clone Theory.
So far have mostly used it with voice ( the Pad switch is niice) and Roland RS-09. Seems clean enough. Much cleaner than Zvex Instant Lo Fi Junky. Much less digital than Old Blood Noise Endeavors Darkstar, which I use in a similar capacity - although it is quite different. Happy to plug the Wardenclyffe between anything really. Next up... electric bass.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Playing an Arturia Microbrute through the Wardenclyffe into a Delta Lab Effectron Jr. 256 into an Acoustic B100 x 15.

A good variety between using LPF/HPF and PAD switches. I prefer lower LFI speeds.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:53 pm

Now trying to sell (at a bargain) the Wardenclyffe. I don't use it enough and think I still jones for the Cooper units. I've been using it on vocals some lately too, but prefer the Old Blood Noise Dark Star and Lo Fi for the same duties. The Wardenclyffe is super versatile and better sound quality than those.

I like it a lot but just have too many pedals anymore. Trying to sell two for every one I buy. I'll probably change my mind.

Return to “Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX”