MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

thoughts on this second case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author thoughts on this second case
cptnal
I know you'll disagree, but that screams at me for a quad VCA. Mr. Green
lisa
cptnal wrote:
lisa wrote:
First iteration, methinks.

I know you'll disagree, but that screams at me for a quad VCA. Mr. Green

Hehe, yeah. smile As you know I only have 5 separate VCA channels in my big case so if I get a quad VCA module I will probably be set for life. That said, I also feel that a few VCA channels would be good but I don't want to get too many modules initially. I'm actually starting to think that the first iteration should be sans the Cš-L. hmmm.....
foliephonics
Two 3LFOs ?
I understand the LFO per HP ratio is good, but I would think that one would be enough, with some other LFO(s) with different waveshapes and/or CV control giving more flexibility (yes, you have Stages also, but...) ?
lisa
I already own the two LFO modules. They are not being used today. I though I’d just chuck them in there until space gets scarce.
lisa
Alright, the deed is done. I bought a new case and a few modules from cash for stuff I just sold. I'm back to buying modules when I've used these modules to make some music. I guess Belgrad will have to be oscillator for a while. smile

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/915143
cg_funk
lisa wrote:
Alright, the deed is done. I bought a new case and a few modules from cash for stuff I just sold. I'm back to buying modules when I've used these modules to make some music. I guess Belgrad will have to be oscillator for a while. smile

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/915143

I just bought a Belgrad last month, I think you will find it makes amazing noises on it's own just fine Mr. Green

It is very different from my Filter8, which has a very clean resonance curve that makes these beautiful angelic tones. The Belgrad's resonance spectrum looks more like a gnarly spikey comb, so it produces these crazy demon sounds when you let it self-resonate. The thing is wicked!
lisa
Yeah, I heard a demo of Belgrad as an oscillator and it sounded lovely. Tracking well but gritty timbres. I’ll surely be able to make something nice from this lot. w00t
lisa
I thought this setup would feel very limited but it really isn’t. Stages as a harmonic oscillator provides both melody/melodies and a bassline (not fully independent of course but still) when the different bands are pinged by different gate patterns. Add to that a filter and several LFOs. I can’t complain. This is fun!
Placid Mouse
Depending on how you record your tracks and how much time you want to spend in front of a monitor, I think a multi-track recording setup could suit you well.

I find this to be the best way to limit modules as, midi-cv modules and dc coupled interfaces can really do a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to modulation and sequencing.

Again this depends on your workflow as I know some people like to keep it purely eurorack and record performances rather than multi-track, but I find it to be the most efficient and fun way to get the most out of my 7u, this and I can essentially save patches and work on them at a later date.

I've always written music as a direct reflection of the melodies/ sounds in my head and I find the boring old piano roll to be the quickest way to get from my head to paper. The only non predictable melodies I incorporate are metropolis sequences.

Just a thought Dancing Star
lisa
Oh, I always multi-track record. cool I want to be able to ”jam” on a standalone rack when I’m composing but I add most effects, do loads of mixing and arranging after recording.

I wouldn’t want to control my rack with my computer though. No rational reason for that, it just doesn’t seem as fun to me.
Placid Mouse
lisa wrote:
Oh, I always multi-track record. cool I want to be able to ”jam” on a standalone rack when I’m composing but I add most effects, do loads of mixing and arranging after recording.

I wouldn’t want to control my rack with my computer though. No rational reason for that, it just doesn’t seem as fun to me.

Awesome, yeh the DAW-CV life is not for everyone, I understand that a lot of people have come to Eurorackland to escape the DAW. It just suites my workflow perfectly as I have all my sounds come back into the computer via an NW2S, this and I like to have multiple precise modulation changes happen at set point within a track, leaving me to wiggle with my hands and play along with other instruments. The new Polyend preset looks like a great solution for someone wanting to do this without an external sequencer.

Just out of interest how are you multi-tracking with this setup and others?
lisa
Placid Mouse wrote:
Just out of interest how are you multi-tracking with this setup and others?

Behringer UFX1604. Love it.

Placid Mouse
That makes sense. There’s definitely an immediacy with outboard mixers that cant be replicated in the box.
phantommovement
kwaidan wrote:
While Hats A is great sounding, I have not been able to get the accent to work. Actually, I have all the Erica modules, and Cymbals is the only one where I’ve had some luck with accents, maybe because it has trimpots. Unfortunately, the Hats A doesn’t, and when I send it an accent trigger, the unaccented hits do not sound.

EDIT: To get the accent to work, a voltage has to be present at the accent input everytime the module is triggered. An easy fix is to use a unity mixer to combine trigger and accent trigger. Send the sum to accent input. There are probably other fixes, but it looks like an extra module is required, unlike TipTop and other brands.

Soundwise, how does the Erica synths Hats A compare to the Hats D? And the Tip top 909 hats?

I like the fact that the Hats A has two outputs. But there aren't many demo videos of the modules out there.
lisa
I’ve thought about it a bit and am closing in on the conclusion that a simple hihat module might not be the right fit for me. I love simple hats as a function to gel a beat but if I’m limited to a few drum sounds I’ll need each of them to be rather expressive. WMD Chimera might replace Hats A in my plan.
mmpingo
Lisa, you're aware and experienced synthesist. Could you, please, explain why you chose the Varigate 8+ as a sequencer?
lisa
mmpingo: To challenge myself, really. smile For my first case I was very sure that I didn't want it. I want to have control and since the Varigate uses the same set of sliders for ten parts and a bunch of parameters for each control is lost quickly. I guess one could backtrack a pattern and make subtle changes to it but it would be kill me a bit on the inside each time. If I'm slightly displeased I'd rather just start over, which really isn't my thing either.

So, what's the appeal to me then? Well, it's quick to work with when creating from scratch which I value. When I know it I expect to be able to make the base elements for a track within minutes. Also, in this second rack I plan to do drums (when I use my other rack I use drum machines) and Varigate is a powerful trig sequencer.

I actually don't know if I'll like the Varigate 8+ (or Stages, for that matter) for real, in the end. It's more or less exactly like I expected it to be, but I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. grin
mmpingo
Oh, I thought it was a conscious decision, but it's more or less an experiment. I'll ask again later. smile
lisa
I'm consciously aware of the fact that aspects of it doesn't suit my usual way of making music. Whether using it the heart of my new rack will be a mainly positive experience for me is still a bit unclear though. w00t
cg_funk
Interested to hear what you produce with this new rig. It's the type of rack that I could imagine Baseck rocking live, so it's clearly a new direction for you.

I personally never multi-track anything, I just patch and record straight off the output. My computer is so old and slow the delay on monitoring the recording makes it impossible to overdub. This choice has led me to get a lot of mixers and clock-dividers to keep my layers in order, but it is also leading to my typical patch looking like spaghetti. I guess I'm okay with that at least.

When I had a much smaller rack I focused on melody and rhythm, and most recently I became interested in sound design with all my new fancy stereo modules.. but in any case there's a finite amount of things I can do on a track given the time I have, and it just gets spent differently depending on what tools I have. I am betting this small rack will lead you to great places once you get used to it.

I'm thinking about getting a Fracture next for claps and snaps. But both Chimera and Crucible have caught my ears too..
lisa
cg_funk wrote:
Interested to hear what you produce with this new rig. It's the type of rack that I could imagine Baseck rocking live, so it's clearly a new direction for you.

Yeah, we'll see what rig I actually end up with. Plans tend to change along the way. smile

Quote:
I personally never multi-track anything, I just patch and record straight off the output. My computer is so old and slow the delay on monitoring the recording makes it impossible to overdub.

I make overdubs sometimes but it's great to be able to record separate outputs from the rack so that mixing and arrangements can be done after a jam. That gives me a great combination of wiggling freedom and the possibility to backtrack my moves and eliminate mistakes.
cg_funk
lisa wrote:

I make overdubs sometimes but it's great to be able to record separate outputs from the rack so that mixing and arrangements can be done after a jam. That gives me a great combination of wiggling freedom and the possibility to backtrack my moves and eliminate mistakes.

Oh! I see, I see. Sorry, I had in my head that multi-tracking was overdubbing. I suppose that I could actually do two simultaneous mono-tracks now that I have sorted out stereo recording. Actually that makes a lot of sense, I could go back and fix levels that are bad and mute out mistakes.

Now I've got a million more questions...
What audio interface are you using to go to your computer from the mixer? How many simultaneous tracks? Are you doing all the stereo mixing in post?
lisa
cg_funk: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3068305#3068305 wink

16 channels straight from the mixer. It’s fab!
lisa
Started making music with it. Slightly limited but Stages fills in as an audio oscillator pretty well.

mmpingo
lisa wrote:
Slightly limited but Stages fills in as an audio oscillator pretty well.

What are its limitations frim your POV?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3