MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

old (digital) Delay for latency compensation /sound quality?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author old (digital) Delay for latency compensation /sound quality?
Funky40
i go from my modular into a old macbook for FX purposes but have quite some latencys to fight with.

whats your thoughts on just taking some old cheap digital delays ( the ~15 year old ones or so) for the latency compensation for my nice original modularsynth sound-signal ?

are these things good enough in soundquality to just not think about it, relax, and install the delay ?

i have a old digitech "studio quad" still laying around somewhere, but would be a big hassle to install, and i would have to connect the modular directly to it.
not over a patchbay, so it might be allways in the signal chain then.

your thoughts ?

( totally worth it to use old computers/macs as stompbox FX replacements btw. ! at least when some PC and software is allready there.
Reverbs, Reverbs, Reverbs.........Software wins !! stompboxes go home wink )
big job head
Could you tell us more about your setup?
By the way i'm not sure you fully understand how delay compensation works.

delay compensation works by delaying all the tracks to keep them in sync.
Let say you have 3 tracks each with various effects : the first have 2ms delay, the second 4ms and the third 5 ms. Delay compensation will delay the first track by 3ms, the second by 1ms and not the third.

If you add tracks with no effects at all, they will all be delayed by 5ms to keep in sync with the others.

The same applies with input latency but most of the time you have to figure the amount by yourself and tell the software how much delay it needs.
marcn
Look at broadcast delays.
For example a Symetrix 402, not very well known brand but they are very well built. The 402 is quite cheap too, stereo and does up to 1 sec delay quicky glancing at the manual.

Big Job i think what he means is not the delay on individual tracks and compensation you can use in Ableton f.ex. but rather the whole system delay as in soundcard latency and/or processing buffer. This can easily be 150-250ms on older laptops.
Think of it as a send on a mixer, instead of a hardware effect with virtually zero latency you use a laptop with soundcard. So you'll have to delay your original mix post send by the latency.
This involves a mixer though which isnt mentioned in the original post so not sure if I got the question right.
Funky40
marcn wrote:

Big Job i think what he means is not the delay on individual tracks and compensation you can use in Ableton f.ex. but rather the whole system delay as in soundcard latency and/or processing buffer. This can easily be 150-250ms on older laptops.
Think of it as a send on a mixer, instead of a hardware effect with virtually zero latency you use a laptop with soundcard. So you'll have to delay your original mix post send by the latency.

yes, exactly this !

again: i use my macbook instead of a stompbox.
the only workaround for the latency right now is to do the dry/wet mix on the macbook.
which means everything gets also the reverb
( i have only a stereo out since i use a host and not a DAW for several reasons)

I´ll have a look for the symetrix unit. This brand is imo rare here in switzerland though.
and i might find a way to install my digitech studio quad on the bottom of my patchbay to see if this works

Thanks marcn
Sleipnir
Funky40 wrote:
and i might find a way to install my digitech studio quad on the bottom of my patchbay to see if this works

Assume you have a mixer somewhere (last picture I saw of your studio, it was pretty extensive) - between that and a patchbay, you can run the delay wet only. Then your dry signal is pristine and any latency is just part of the delay.
nanners
I have a pair of Lexicon rack units I’ll never give up.
Funky40
Sleipnir wrote:
....... you can run the delay wet only. Then your dry signal is pristine and any latency is just part of the delay.
nanners
I have a pair of Lexicon rack units I’ll never give up.

that was the idea, yes. thus the question about soundquality wink

not yet donne..........
guess the soundquality should be ok, since nobody shouted out loud yet wink

in this case/application would i run my modular or groovebox thru aux sends into my macbook for wild FX and Reverb, (GRM Tools + reverb)
and run dry signals over a Bus out (A&H mixwizard, has 2x stereo busses) and run the delay wet only patched as a insert on the Bus.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1