MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I'm designing a new cabinet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I'm designing a new cabinet
cg_funk
What do you all think of my new cabinet design.

It is still a work in progress, but today I finally got enough of the parts together that it is taking shape. There are place-markers where the different racks will go, the rails haven't arrived in the mail yet so I have to imagine for now.

There are still a lot of details to sort out.

I am still deciding where to put the Intellijel 1U Audio In/Out port. I was thinking of putting it on the right side for ease of access, but haven't figured out the exact details of that.

If anyone is interested I'll post some more photos!
cackland
Thanks for posting. What are the specs you are building for?

Is the bottom section just for storage or part of the system?
cg_funk
cackland wrote:
Thanks for posting. What are the specs you are building for?

Is the bottom section just for storage or part of the system?

It is 7U at 110HP per row.

The case is going to match another one I have, so it's the upper portion.
The shelf at the bottom is for storing the ugly power-brick away where I can't see them. It's also to make the cabinet a bit heavier so I can really push into it.

Here's another picture that shows how the two cases fit together.

cackland
Nice. Look forward to the progress updates smile
gonkulator
I like the concept. The angles seem pretty usable.
DDJ
That's a very smart design and I love the woodwork.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Kandavu
Can you go into your reasoning for using the 90 degree tongue and groove joints. Wouldn’t dovetailing the joints have made for a better fit?
honeyb
Kandavu wrote:
Can you go into your reasoning for using the 90 degree tongue and groove joints. Wouldn’t dovetailing the joints have made for a better fit?

I'd also like to know.

My guess is that he thought the 90 degree joints might be easier to cut? Or other limits of his carpentry skills/equipment?
cg_funk
Kandavu wrote:

Thanks for your interest and comments!!

I happen to like the more rustic craftsman-style furniture than the French-polish style with dovetails furniture look.

I went with the boxjoints this time because it would match the previous case I built. The answer is mostly style choice. Although it is also true that dovetails do take about 3x more time to fit. So boxjoints are much easier to fit compared to dovetails, and I also think they look more utilitarian as a result.

The joints will fit a lot tighter once I clamp and glue the parts, they are just stuck together by gravity in this photo so it looks really loose. I will post more photos once I get to the glue stage :-)

As for strength, yes dovetails are also quite a bit stronger, but honestly this 1inch thick cherry case is really strong, so it's mainly for looks at this point- and I think dovetails are a bit gaudy looking.

Of course, if I was making a case for commission, I would also be in a lot less of a hurry to get my own modules into it, which is probably also a factor too.
DSC
I like your rustic look thumbs up

I went with aluminum so I could make it semi-portable.
It has the same base specs as yours.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122924&sid=b30747eba c68b37e7a04ed2db981dae7

Curious what you are planning for power supply?
cg_funk
DSC wrote:
I like your rustic look thumbs up

I went with aluminum so I could make it semi-portable.
It has the same base specs as yours.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122924&sid=b30747eba c68b37e7a04ed2db981dae7

Curious what you are planning for power supply?

Wow that Babunga/Alu case you built is really sweet-looking. I love the drum pad attachment.

I'm going with a TPS80W power supply from Intellijel. Honestly, I probably could have gone with a much cheaper option.. but this made life really easy for me. If you see in the back-side photo I have an Intellijel 1U Power entry tile mounted on the back panel, I'm adding another one of those to the new cabinet as well. The back will be covered with removable oak panels, this makes it much easier to swap modules.
Groundloop
Looks great so far, and I really like the look of the finished case. The 1U row in the middle is the way to go as far as I'm concerned.
Foghorn
@ DSC
I would really like to see your case, but the pics seem to be broken.
Or is it just me who is broken Drunken Homer Simpson

Foghorn
euromorcego
Foghorn wrote:

I would really like to see your case, but the pics seem to be broken.
Or is it just me who is broken

it is you ... the pics in the linked thread are just fine Drunken Homer Simpson
chuckleone
Nice work! This looks awesome.
cg_funk
Update time!

Parts have been sanded more. I glued the base and the main frame, and here is the glue-up of the two halves:

I measured and cut a hole in the right side for the 1U Audio I/O ports.

Here's after more sanding:

After more sanding, and then a first layer of finish.
Finish is a mixture of beeswax and linseed oil.

The next step is more sanding... and also to make the mounts for the PSU.

Also, I have to make the back panels and install them.

At some point the rails will arrive in the mail... and I swear I measured everything 2x!
cackland
Looking good. hyper
timc3
Looks really good. Will be interesting to see how it progresses
ZatsuOn
Looks really nice! Will you make a curved panel for the back? If so, how? Watching with interest SlayerBadger!
resynthesize
really nice job!
cg_funk
ZatsuOn wrote:
Looks really nice! Will you make a curved panel for the back? If so, how? Watching with interest SlayerBadger!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

The back panel will be made of a few 5" wide oak 1/4"-thick panels. I imagine I will have to curve the back edge of each panel a little bit with my hand plane to match the contour of the cabinet. All in all, the back might not look as smooth-curved as I was hoping for, but I'll try to do something extra to make it pop. The rest of the frame is all cherry, so it'll have a bit of color contrast.

I'm thinking of making some sort of artistic vent-hole pattern on the back panels. Do you think I should put some wire mesh or other screen on the inside of the cutout to keep stuff from dropping inside? It might look detracting. I'l try to post a picture of what I'm talking about a little later today.
nicholasyu
Love the dovetail joints, super classy look!

re: mesh if I understand what you mean, I would give it a try, or maybe some type of breathable fabric like those used on guitar amps?
nicholasyu
Oh, I guess they're "boxtail" joints because they're not angled? Cool, I can learn about woodworking on this site too smile
cg_funk
Ok. Update today on the back panels. I've cut them out roughly to shape.

I wanted to share the pretty floral motif. It is a Japanese kikyo flower pattern.

Here's the oak panels laid out on the back:

cackland
How did you cut these out? Laser?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2