MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mother 32 case - use its power for other modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mother 32 case - use its power for other modules?
helder
Hi,

I have my mother 32 mounted in my big eurorack case as I like to have all my oscilators together in one case. I would like to use the empty 60hp moog mother case for other modules. I know I can get a uZeus for power but I was wondering if it would be possible to make use of the already installed power supply in the case. Are there any power board with connectors for other modules that could be connected to the power supply already in the mother 32 case?

Thanks in advance.
Catflap
I read somewhere that someone was going to be announcing a power supply module specifically for the M32 case power supply @ super booth or one of the other annual shows. (Don't quote me on this tho)
helder
That would be amazing. If you happen to know some more details about it in the meantime please post. Thanks.
seta666
I also bought a Behringer Neutron and a moog DFAM which I want to put in a case and was thinking of using the empty case for small modular set ups in the future..The 80hp neutron case could fit a small modular drum machine for example....
DJMaytag
Also interested in this. I might offload my Expert Sleepers modules to the 60 HP case, which might make more sense to leave those at home in a small case.
helder
Good to see I am not the only one interested in this smile

I have read in another MW thread (that I can’t find right now) that someone was able to mod the internal power board to add -12v and +5v (the built in mother 32 board only supplies 12v) adding a synthotrek power board. It looked neat but surely involves soldering?
helder
If one takes the 4hp uZeus route: my concern is that the flying bus board attached to the uZeus will fill in the inside of the mother case, leaving little space for the depth of modules. Has anyone tried this approach and does it work? Is there enough depth for modules using the uZeus?
Bartelby
That’s exactly what I’ve done. Even with low profile modules it’s a bit tight behind everything.
JohnLRice
Catflap wrote:
I read somewhere that someone was going to be announcing a power supply module specifically for the M32 case power supply @ super booth or one of the other annual shows. (Don't quote me on this tho)
I'm pretty sure that was from STG Soundlabs? Yeah, the Boat Rocker!
Xinod
helder wrote:
If one takes the 4hp uZeus route: my concern is that the flying bus board attached to the uZeus will fill in the inside of the mother case, leaving little space for the depth of modules. Has anyone tried this approach and does it work? Is there enough depth for modules using the uZeus?

I've done it and you'd be surprised how much can still fit in there.
Apart from shallower modules I think I have right above the uZeus some Distings (42mm) and some 2hp (probably same depth).

To be honest, I've built a system of extension ribbon adapters/cables (both internal and external to the case, so you can detach/rearrange them) to power up to 4 Moog cases. I use it just for 3 but I liked the idea of a modular case...
batch
You can hack the M32 power supply really easily. I posted on this a few years back. I did it to create a Pico synth using 20 Erica Synth Pico modules. It works though you need to create custom power cables that are very short (also easy with right tools).

Do a search for M32 hack and you will find some instructions.
JohnLRice
batch wrote:
You can hack the M32 power supply really easily. I posted on this a few years back. I did it to create a Pico synth using 20 Erica Synth Pico modules. It works though you need to create custom power cables that are very short (also easy with right tools).

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175167
helder
Great, thank you all for the feedback. I see there are some conflicting experiences regarding the space left with the uZeus flying bus board in the M32 case. I might try that if everything else is not available.

The stg Boat Rocker looks nice! Not selling yet though and it may take some time...
helder
batch wrote:

YEs, that was the thread I saw taht I couldnpt find. However it seems the synthotrek PSU board is not seeling anymore (following the link in that thread), and this involves soldering, etc. yes? I am not bery good with those things...is it hard to make it happen? What is needed, and are all parts available still? Thnaks in advance.
cg_funk
That M32 power supply doesn't have much juice, so I doubt it's worth the effort. You'd likely be better off just going with the Zeus and flying bus cables. The bus cables take up a lot of space, but they squish down into that back part of the box. As long as your modules aren't super deep they'll still fit with the cables under them, just barely.

Honestly, the best solution is to put the M32 back into it's case and put your modules into the rack. I'd resisted this for a long time on my own rack, so I do also understand how you'd feel about that.... but now that I put my DFAM back into it's original case I still do use it and patch it quite a bit (much to my surprise) but most importantly my main rack is way better arranged.
helder
cg_funk wrote:
That M32 power supply doesn't have much juice, so I doubt it's worth the effort. You'd likely be better off just going with the Zeus and flying bus cables. The bus cables take up a lot of space, but they squish down into that back part of the box. As long as your modules aren't super deep they'll still fit with the cables under them, just barely.

Honestly, the best solution is to put the M32 back into it's case and put your modules into the rack. I'd resisted this for a long time on my own rack, so I do also understand how you'd feel about that.... but now that I put my DFAM back into it's original case I still do use it and patch it quite a bit (much to my surprise) but most importantly my main rack is way better arranged.

Thank you, that is great advice. I am also afraid I won’t use the mother 32 much if out of the big case...My plan was to put a 4ms SMR and a Dave Jones O’Tool Plus into the mother’s case...the smr is not deep, but the o’tool is 40mm deep...
Groundloop
helder wrote:

For a while I had two Mother-32 cases bolted together to form a 120HP skiff, with a µZeus, and the two fbb's joined to extend into the 2nd case and there was plenty of room for modules.
helder
Groundloop wrote:
helder wrote:

For a while I had two Mother-32 cases bolted together to form a 120HP skiff, with a µZeus, and the two fbb's joined to extend into the 2nd case and there was plenty of room for modules.

Nice! Interesting to see all the creative things people do with spare cases grin
gentle_attack
I would think it would be considerably easier to just put the M32 back in it's case, and then put the modules into the other case, no?

I realize people like modules in specific spots, but if you are talking about buying additional power supplies ($50+?) and/or hacking and modding, idk man, keep it simple brothers.
sirjpink
Reposting something I made earlier, which might be of interest (if you can DIY):

Quote:

I had an orphaned Moog 60 HP skiff from DFAM as well and wanted to re-purpose it as a "sheep-dipping" skiff. Given that I'd run DIY- or second-hand modules from it, as well as use it to power breadboard experiments, I didn't really feel like spending a lot on a power supply. I also didn't want to modify the skiff and reuse Moog-supplied 1A@12V wall wart.

So I made a very small PSU, similar the Befaco's LunchBus and other small designs based around the DKE15A-12 floating around the interwebs (the LunchBus, while excellent, is too big to fit in a Moog skiff, ironically).

Here is revision 1 in action, testing a Kickall I put together:

I've uploaded all the files (gerbers, schematics, kicad project) to Github for everyone to use. They can be found HERE.

Note that I made some silly mistakes with the first revision (which is why you build stuff before putting designs online), like not taking the "rails" on the bottom properly into account and using the wrong footprint for the IN5402 diode. These have all been corrected in revision 2, which is the one online. Revision 2 also has 2 more headers (8 in total).

It is a simple (and cheap) build. The PCB fits within the rules that many Chinese fabs use for budget pcbs (smaller than 100x100mm), so those should be cheap too.

By my estimate, the total cost to make one is about €30, most of that being the MeanWell DKE15A-12 converter, which costs about €20.

I'm currently running a Weather Drones from it as well and it seems to be behaving.
jakobprogsch
Because no one has explicitly stated this. There isn't really a "power supply" in the M32/DFAM cases as such. The small PCB at the bottom is really just a passthrough as far as the power is concerned. The M32/DFAM modules directly take the +12 from the wall wart and generate the other voltages (-12 and presumably some logic level) themselves.
helder
jakobprogsch wrote:
Because no one has explicitly stated this. There isn't really a "power supply" in the M32/DFAM cases as such. The small PCB at the bottom is really just a passthrough as far as the power is concerned. The M32/DFAM modules directly take the +12 from the wall wart and generate the other voltages (-12 and presumably some logic level) themselves.

Good to know and useful - thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1