MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Reverb Multieffects boxes?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Reverb Multieffects boxes?
calaveras
Recently got back into mixing with an actual mixer. And I find myself a little short in the effects department.
I only have a Quadraverb and a Deltalab Effectron. Very nice for what they are, but limited.
I've been looking in to some other verbs and it seems like development of rack multieffects stopped about 10 years ago? I know DAWs are powerful and all, but come on. Some things require a hardware reverb. Like live sound, theatre production, or just sound design in general.

Been looking at TC M2000 and M3000 as well as the M One.
Also curious about the Roland 3000 and 3030.
Any others?

I'm looking for something that does a decent huge reverb for epic synth nonsense. But can also do some fun delay, pitch and other neat effects.
soundsubs
If you can spend $1000, looked for an Eventide Eclipse... or for roughly half that, the H9 Max pedal. Both are very creative, top of the line effects, unparalleled to my ears.
mush
calaveras wrote:

Any others?

Eventide Eclipse as mentioned is a sure shot.
The Roland SRV-3030 is a no go IMHO.
I have a huge variety of hardware reverbs and can recommend these from my own collection (not for sale) based on your post:
Kurzweil Rumour
TC M3000, M2000, Fireworx (all good boxes)
Eventide Eclipse
Yamaha ProR3

I have lots of old digital boxes I like, but I think your Quadraverb has that territory covered.
CF3
Definitely the aforementioned Eventide Eclipse. Amazing array of effects. Midi control of pretty much everything. Sounds fantastic. Can be found >$1000

Obviously, Eventide DSP and H series too. Orville is a crazy bargain for what you get IMO.

The higher end Lexicon units. PCM 81, etc.

Ensoniq DP series. DP4(+), DP2, DP Pro. More "character" units, but I love them personally.

Kurzweil KSP-8

Sony DPS-V77

TC Fireworx

On the cheap and fun side of things... Zoom RFX-2000
There a bunch of others too.

But yes, effects are mostly either software now or tabletop/pedals. sad banana
hippo1
...To echo the previous post: Do you need it to be rack-mountable? Nowadays, guitar pedals are leaps&bounds away from where they started. A BlueSky pedal, with the internal jumper replaced, is stereo in/out... and awesome for its price. [Yah, you could go BigSky and get some memory and a LOT of tweakability... but that can cause headaches as well. I own a BigSky, but the programmability I thought would be 'necessary' just gives me ANOTHER processor to tediously program. One of my friends has been put on notice that if he were to buy a BlueSky, I'd trade him mine one-for-one... just to simplify.]

I have mixed feelings for my Quadra: It always had a 'sound' to it, that I could spot right away in a mix. Cool for programmability, and had cool stuff (twitch flange, anyone?)... but the 'verb always colored the sound, in nay mode (gated/room/cathedral etc). still have it, but it's relegated to 'fillin' the rack' status.

I use a Bigsky coupled with a reissue Korg SDD-3000 for clean stereo sends... and some boutique analog pedals (misc) for dirty/old-skool.
calaveras
I am averse to guitar pedals. In my home studios previous incarnation back in California I quickly ran out of desktop space. Due to multiple drum machines, tabletop synths and yes, effect pedals.
I live in NYC now, and space is more at a premium.
So I am hoping to get a 1 or 2 rack unit tall box and shove it under a drum machine or desktop synth.

The H9 is intriguing. I was hoping to pick up a TC Electronics unit, but it appears that they got bought out by Yum Brands, I mean Behringer.
So I am less than enthused about the prospect of getting service on one of their high end reverbs. Shame, I was a huge TC fan for years.

I think I may make do with the boxes I have and this dirt cheap Roland I got on Ebay. Then maybe save up?
It seems like I have to go with an Eclipse, or one of the 2 RU Eventide or TC boxes if I want serious sound design capability.
The Lexicons are on my radar, but they have kind of an identifiable sound, and are priced quite high for even the not so great units like the LXP1/5/15.
oldgearguy
If you see one come up, the Roland RSP-550 is a real sleeper. Good reverbs, excellent delays and flangers and phasers, plus a vocoder that works and is easy to use.

MIDI, MIDI CC over some parameters, easy to edit for a 1 space unit.

Typically under $100 when the do pop up for sale.

I ended up finding them more useful (and used) than the Lexicon PCM 80/81 that I also had at the time.
anselmi
I have the H9 Max and Strymon Big Sky and love them both

If I´d have to choose one, I´d go for the H9 just because it have a lot of FX other than the reverbs, but the reverbs are GREAT too.

If I´d have to choose one JUST for the reverbs, I´d go with the Big Sky, but this is just me.

The Eventide reverbs are somewhat denser and darker than the Strymon ones and this could divide the opinions just because of personal tastes. Owning both gives me a lot of options.

I also have a Cathedral (EHX) that have a more limited palette of reverbs and they tends to sound more dirthy than the other two pedals. But sometimes this is something that can adds character to the sound. I also keep it because it has a great delay mode that I use a lot
LNerell
calaveras wrote:

Any others?

I prefer the older Roland SRV 330 over the other Rolands you mentioned. I think it sounds more interesting and is not that hip right now. If you want a cheaper Lexicon I think the MXP1 is a sleeper. I use one for live concerts. In the TC department don't forget the Reverb 4000, I think it was the last stereo rackmount they produced and I think sounds great.
calaveras
Forgot to mention, I also have an old Digitech TSR24 that I found on top of a garbage can down the street.
Yeah Brooklyn really is like that.
So I am working with that and the Quadraverb right now. Pretty ugly.
I'm trying to get to a less trashy, less 80's sounding production style. Or well, the better side of the 80's like Coil, Cocteau Twins, Cabaret Voltaire, Cure. You know all the bands that start with C, and had interesting reverbs.
The Digitech was truly awful when I got it. I finally had to do a hardware reset because every single operation would result in 'out of memory' errors!
I may keep it around. As my mixer has 6 auxes, 4 master returns, plus another 24 tape returns.

Turns out it's still possible to pick up the eeproms for ver 2.0 of the firmware. And there is a possibility of installing a 2nd DSP chip for more effects fun. I may just have to go down this rabbit hole and see how much I can do with this free box. It also came with a 2nd non-working unit. So I have a parts machine.

It's funny, reading up on the Digitech, it seems a lot of guitarists compare it to the poor mans Eventide. Which is a laugh.
thee ghost ov n_phay
those Digitech rack effects with the s-disc processor chip (I have the studio 400 model) do nice modulation effects and the echoes are ok too but they're not so good for reverb.
thetwlo
CF3 wrote:
Definitely the aforementioned Eventide Eclipse. Amazing array of effects. Midi control of pretty much everything. Sounds fantastic. Can be found >$1000

Obviously, Eventide DSP and H series too. Orville is a crazy bargain for what you get IMO.

The higher end Lexicon units. PCM 81, etc.

Ensoniq DP series. DP4(+), DP2, DP Pro. More "character" units, but I love them personally.

Kurzweil KSP-8

Sony DPS-V77

TC Fireworx

On the cheap and fun side of things... Zoom RFX-2000
There a bunch of others too.

But yes, effects are mostly either software now or tabletop/pedals. sad banana

yup!!
calaveras
So the Roland 3030 I got sounds pretty good. Better than the TSR24 or Quadraverb at least. Though the TSR24 is more flexible in terms of programming. Out of the 3 the Quadraverb is easiest to use, but it just sounds so corny. The Roland is very clean but it has this annoying quirk that you have to change the mix to be 100% wet for each preset. Who uses a rack reverb in-line and not as a send?

Also the STV3030 runs hot? Like I don’t want to leave anything on top of it hot. Is that normal?
tdutz
Plus one for TC Fireworx and Strymon pedals!
calaveras
I think I am good like this. I just found a really great reverb in the Roland. Able to go very bright and reflective without taking your face off with harshness.
I was going to hunt ebay for a TC or Lexicon but this is going to be more than adequate.
spacenoodle
calaveras wrote:
Forgot to mention, I also have an old Digitech TSR24 that I found on top of a garbage can down the street.
Yeah Brooklyn really is like that.
So I am working with that and the Quadraverb right now. Pretty ugly.
I'm trying to get to a less trashy, less 80's sounding production style. Or well, the better side of the 80's like Coil, Cocteau Twins, Cabaret Voltaire, Cure. You know all the bands that start with C, and had interesting reverbs.
The Digitech was truly awful when I got it. I finally had to do a hardware reset because every single operation would result in 'out of memory' errors!
I may keep it around. As my mixer has 6 auxes, 4 master returns, plus another 24 tape returns.

Turns out it's still possible to pick up the eeproms for ver 2.0 of the firmware. And there is a possibility of installing a 2nd DSP chip for more effects fun. I may just have to go down this rabbit hole and see how much I can do with this free box. It also came with a 2nd non-working unit. So I have a parts machine.

It's funny, reading up on the Digitech, it seems a lot of guitarists compare it to the poor mans Eventide. Which is a laugh.

The fact that you found the TSR-24 on a garbage can echoes my sentiments on that unit exactly.
Jacoby
LNerell wrote:

I prefer the older Roland SRV 330 over the other Rolands you mentioned. I think it sounds more interesting and is not that hip right now. If you want a cheaper Lexicon I think the MXP1 is a sleeper. I use one for live concerts. In the TC department don't forget the Reverb 4000, I think best camera for low light photography last stereo rackmount they produced and I think sounds great.

Yeah, I prefer it too.
calaveras
so far I am settling into a groove. The TSR24 and Quadraverb GT are my trashy boxes. I use them for simple short low diffusion verbs, and pith shifting/delay/chorus type of patches.
I have an Effectron ADM256 for medium to short delays. Mostly for lead melody.
The SRV3030 is the pretty reverb. Everything else is kinda edgy and industrial. If there are any strings or blippy sequences that call for a diffuse distant reverb, with no poky frequencies, the 3030 is working fine.
Mot having any regrets with there. Well except that it gets crazy hot. Dead Banana
Is there something I am missing here? You guys are dumping on the 3030 pretty hard. It sounds miles better than my other two reverbs. And honestly I like it better than half the software reverbs I've used.
calaveras
So the trashy TSR24 which I literally found in the street just got upgraded.
It involved replacing a single EEPROM with a couple EEPROMS that are the 2.0 firmware. Then upgrading the clock crystal and associated capacitor to double the system clock.

Really surprised at how this whole thing is through hole components except the Z80, and the S-Disc chip. Still sounds pretty shitty, but slightly less shitty?

Pretty ghetto looking circuit revisions.

Ooh look at all those discrete transistors! I bet it sounds like a Neve!

I actually kind of love crappy effects boxes. I spent years with nothing but cheap pedals. So I look forward to wringing every last drop of strange from this box. The Roland SRV3030 may not be the preferred Roland reverb, but it's fricking brilliant compared to the Quadraverb and Digitech boxes!
ExtrasensoryPerception
if you can swing it, an eventide H3000 will be your best reverb and crazy sound friend, forever.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1