MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommendations for Cheaper Digital Rack Delays
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Recommendations for Cheaper Digital Rack Delays
Hey_Steve86
Hello all!

I'm looking to add a preferably less that $200 digital rack delay to my studio as a companion to my Korg SE-500. I was looking around on Reverb and saw quite a few Roland SDE-1000s for sale around 100 dollars or so. It seems to be a well regarded unit and the price they go for used are really nice.

On the other hand, if I spent closer to, or a little over my $200 limit, I could get something like a Roland SDE-2500 or a TC Electronic D-Two delay, both of these options have Midi, unlike the SDE-1000. Which I suppose would be nice for sending Midi clock to so I can have in time repeats when doing more rhythmic things.

If anyone has any experience with these units, or preferences toward one or the other it would be wonderful to have your input!

Right now I'm leaning toward spending less money and getting the SDE-1000.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also as a side note, the reason I'm looking at rack delays and not pedals is because of space issues and that I don't really have a great way of integrating pedals into my studio setup at the moment.
mush
The d-two is great for its price. In the more advanced end you got boxes like the Symmetrix 606 and Korg DL8000r, but interfaces on those are a bit hard. The old Roland's and Ibanezes have gritty sound and are easy to operate, but the limitations are a bitch. So I recommend the TC d-two.
unrecordings
+1 for the D-Two - it was my favourite for a long time, but had to go in for repair, and didn't come back quite right so it fell out of favour

I've a DL8000R, and while it's quite powerful, the interface is a pig
Hey_Steve86
Two for the D-Two, lol. I'm definitely going to have to look deeper into that one.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Kent
Funnily enough, I just recommended this for the nth time on this forum today.

Boss VF-1 YouTube Playlist
It's a great little box that does a lot and sounds quite good.

https://www.barryrudolph.com/ingear/bottomline/roland.html

and here is some more stuff to listen to
Red Electric Rainbow
Electrix Mo-FX is outstanding. Maybe skip the other two and keep your eyes peeled for one. You can get one for sub $200.
tim gueguen
From the sound of it the SDE2500 doesn't do MIDI clock. Not surprising given that it was one of the earliest rack effect units with any sort of MIDI control.
mush
Kent wrote:
Funnily enough, I just recommended this for the nth time on this forum today.

Boss VF-1 YouTube Playlist
It's a great little box that does a lot and sounds quite good.

I like the vf1 enough to own three of them, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone searching for a dedicated delay. The d-two is much more direct to work with and the new price of it is really a bargain.
Rex Coil 7
Lexicon MX200. I have two of them (both used). Spent no more than about $110 or so on each one. 100 factory "combo" presets, and 100 user preset slots. Full-on MIDI, stereo I/O, and dual engine operation (two totally independent FX blocks which are identical to one another).

Once racked, I ran all of the audio I/O into patchbays to make the connections more easily accessed.

Blairio
Digital Delays are pretty easy to source in rack mount form, as most multi-fx have decent DD patches. I used to use a Yamaha SPX90 for delay line stuff, but equally the alesis range (midiverb, quadraverb etc) have delay algorithms that sound pretty good. None of these is expensive second hand, and all are in rack format.

You could go down the Tc Electronics route, but if it is the 'classic' digital delay sound you are after (i.e. a bit grungy and old school) then quality kit might sound too clean.

I guess you could run the delay output signal through a bit crusher....
Rex Coil 7
Blairio wrote:
... I guess you could run the delay output signal through a bit crusher....
... or wave folder, or distortion circuit, or many other gadgets that will rough-up the wet signal.

cool
Hey_Steve86
Blairio wrote:
Digital Delays are pretty easy to source in rack mount form, as most multi-fx have decent DD patches. I used to use a Yamaha SPX90 for delay line stuff, but equally the alesis range (midiverb, quadraverb etc) have delay algorithms that sound pretty good. None of these is expensive second hand, and all are in rack format.

You could go down the Tc Electronics route, but if it is the 'classic' digital delay sound you are after (i.e. a bit grungy and old school) then quality kit might sound too clean.

I guess you could run the delay output signal through a bit crusher....

I'm feel like right now I'm looking more for application than "that sound" specifically.

I've just recently gotten into using sequencers.

While my SE-500 has tons of "vibe" and is really great for slower loops and played notes, when it comes to faster sequenced lines; being a tape delay, it's obviously a bit tricky to dial in delay times that don't muddy up the rhythm.

I'm going to give all of the delays mentioned here some more good demo listening.

The good thing about the cheap prices of the SDE-1000s is that if I do get a cleaner delay this time around, it won't be too hard to get that "classic" sound in the future.

Or of course as Blairio and Rex Coil 7 said, there's no reason I can't just run the delay through say Reaktor, or my modular (once I finally get a line level input module... meh ).

Thanks for all the great input so far everyone!
robkramble
Not to confuse things further, but I have to recommend the DeltaLab Effectron II digidelay.

I've not yet owned one personally, but have heard it used by Factory Floor to wonderful effect. It's got "that sound," and it seems like a real-time-tweakers dream.
Funch
My main fx unit is the audio input section on the Korg Triton Rack. Very good quality fx with the bonus of being a sampler and extensive pcm synth module. There is one on reverb for $300.00.

Dial up a preset, cut off the midi in and that allows use of the fx for that patch without having to program the thing. And its stereo in and out.
Hyberus
I have two D2s, which I swear by. I've also got a Roland SDE3000 that I picked up for £100 (UK). It has two very useful features: you can insert another effect into the feedback chain via a send and return loop (my old Ibanez DM2000 also does this), and you can use an external source to modulate the delays.
Technologear?
[quote="Hey_Steve86"]

While my SE-500 has tons of "vibe" and is really great for slower loops and played notes, when it comes to faster sequenced lines; being a tape delay, it's obviously a bit tricky to dial in delay times that don't muddy up the rhythm.
]
Anything that you can manually set the bpm or tempo on makes it much easier for that application. Then you can set the delay type like triplets, quarter notes etc. Some pedals can do that too.

Reducing Feedback/Repeats to a lower value can help.
So can using a low pass filter prior to the delay to ensure your kicks don't go through the delay (if processing a mix of percussion, not just single elements).

I obsessed about clean time synced delay for a while, using a tc d2.
But I've concluded that fast percussion or busy sequences are best effected by reverb, not delay. I save delay for occasional single percussion hits within a sequence, or synth stabs not arps.

Unless you're live dub mixing, sending stabs of signal into a delay through an aux or FX send. That is super fun and almost anything goes then, even at higher bpms.

And, unless you're doing 'mild fattening' to a synth sound, using a short delay time and low feedback rate. I'm using BBD pedals for that purpose, I now find it fun to manually set delay times like this.
Hey_Steve86
[quote="Technologear?"]
Hey_Steve86 wrote:

]
Anything that you can manually set the bpm or tempo on makes it much easier for that application. Then you can set the delay type like triplets, quarter notes etc. Some pedals can do that too.

Reducing Feedback/Repeats to a lower value can help.
So can using a low pass filter prior to the delay to ensure your kicks don't go through the delay (if processing a mix of percussion, not just single elements).

But I've concluded that fast percussion or busy sequences are best effected by reverb, not delay. I save delay for occasional single percussion hits within a sequence, or synth stabs not arps.

Unless you're live dub mixing, sending stabs of signal into a delay through an aux or FX send. That is super fun and almost anything goes then, even at higher bpms.

And, unless you're doing 'mild fattening' to a synth sound, using a short delay time and low feedback rate. I'm using BBD pedals for that purpose, I now find it fun to manually set delay times like this.

I'm mainly trying to play around with slapback type delays on bass line parts, so I normally don't use any feedback on the SE-500 and use shorter delay times for this purpose, but it's still tricky. So sort of doubling up the rhythm or fattening it up as you said. Although it's also fun to crank up the feedback and create a drone voice using the delay!

I also have a cheap BBD pedal which is a little easier to use like that, but I'd also like the option for cleaner tempo synched delay, for many different purposes.

I think I'm going to go with the TC D-Two at this point, many people seem to recommend it, and I've found quite a few used ones for sale around 100 USD.
milkshake
Technologear? wrote:

What I do is, find out what time division you need for the tune, then increase or decrease it a tiny bit. This gives the feeling of relaxation or more drive to the tune. And you don't get direct sound and a delayed sound on top of on another, making more room for the sounds to fit.

The SDE3000 is mentioned, that thing is an instrument all by itself.
Karplus strong sounds are great. The buttons seem like a disadvantage, but these allow you to instantly double/half the timing (with pitching), add modulation. The back has inputs for a pedal that sets the feed back to 100%, preset shifting input, modulation in and out. And tap tempo.
I have a pot and 9V battery, so I do have a knob to directly control the delay time.
Everyone get one.
thetwlo
robkramble wrote:
Not to confuse things further, but I have to recommend the DeltaLab Effectron II digidelay.

I've not yet owned one personally, but have heard it used by Factory Floor to wonderful effect. It's got "that sound," and it seems like a real-time-tweakers dream.

yup! That and the old MXR bluface. nothing sounds like them, and they sound quite different from each other.
I don't care for the Roland digital delays, just seemed very sterile. The Boss VF-1 might be better.
milkshake
SDE3000 in action.

Technologear?
milkshake wrote:
Technologear? wrote:

What I do is, find out what time division you need for the tune, then increase or decrease it a tiny bit. This gives the feeling of relaxation or more drive to the tune. And you don't get direct sound and a delayed sound on top of on another, making more room for the sounds to fit.

Oh that's a great idea, cheers! The D2 is perfect for that trick.

To the OP- D2s for $100? Get two.
In my 'hood they go for at least double that
calaveras
Deltalab Effectron is a great effect. I've owned at least one consistently for the last 20 years. It has this kind of quality to it's sound that is more organic and softer than many digital delays.
The downside of the Deltalab delay boxes are that they are all mono, non-midi and not terribly reliable. Though if you aren't gigging them that is not really a problem.

Also, Deltalab pedals have nothing to do with the rack units. That is just a Guitar center scam.
bkbirge
calaveras wrote:
Deltalab Effectron is a great effect. I've owned at least one consistently for the last 20 years. It has this kind of quality to it's sound that is more organic and softer than many digital delays.
The downside of the Deltalab delay boxes are that they are all mono, non-midi and not terribly reliable. Though if you aren't gigging them that is not really a problem.

Those old Effectrons are fun to play with, very tweakable in real time. A good subsititute for them is the line of digitech rds delays, very similar. They are mushy sounding just like the effectron and can do the dive bomb warbles and sample holds that whole series is famous for. If you want crisp clean clarity then I'd look at a lexicon pcm 41 though I guess that's out of the OP's price range.
gruebleengourd
People always talk about the SDD-3000 , but the SDD 3300 gets overlooked and is very affordable. It a fantastic unit, great sound, super programmable -- and it has trigger inputs for sampling (this is a modular forum after all). Does legit ensemble effects with 3 delays each with 2 lfo with adjustable phase :-)

Unless you need midi clock sync or knobs it's one to consider. I also have a SE-500, and they cover completely different ground.

If you want something modern with sync and knobs, keep an eye out for a symmetrix 606.
gruebleengourd
bkbirge wrote:
A good subsititute for them is the line of digitech rds delays, very similar. They are mushy sounding just like the effectron and can do the dive bomb warbles and sample holds that whole series is famous for.

I also quite like the 8 second RDS racks. Cool for making loops, and they have a lot of in/out and trigger inputs for sampling.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2