MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KyronMusic: New TKB aka v2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author KyronMusic: New TKB aka v2
MechaSeb
I haven't seen any topic about it.

Checking this badass system for sale, the TKB caught my attention. It says V2 on the top so i assume it is the new TKB design from STS ? Interesting to see the new additions (V/H touch surface etc.). Does any wiggler got one recently ?

Edit: name thread changed to reflect the actual designer behind.
dksynth
It's not STS. It is a heavily modified custom made TKB style circuit by someone else.
rampy
I saw this earlier today. It looks awesome!
tobb
The manual vertical clock (plate) is great to have,see no advantage at all to have the horizontal one (?)
dksynth
tobb wrote:
The manual vertical clock (plate) is great to have,see no advantage at all to have the horizontal one (?)

it might be an advance for the vertical and something else for the horizontal?

maybe it is a dedicated pressure out or something...
KyronMusic
Hello all, that TKB is a project of mine from years ago. After playing with a friends Serge system with two TKB’s in it, I was often frustrated with some of the function. Especially when “playing” the sequence. So I hit the drawing board and redesigned it with Seven new features making it FAR more usable IMHO. FYI, The Vertical select Switches on the far left hand side are illuminated so the currently active Row (or Rows in the case of the 2x32 mode) can be seen. I was quite happy with how it turned out. Now when playing it live, by way of the touch pads and vertical select switches, you can switch between multiple smaller sequences. Ie choose between 1 of 4 16-step(or shorter)sequences, 1 of 16 3-step or 4-step sequences.

Or... how about switching between 1 of 8 different sequences. Four 8-step(or shorter) and four 6-step(or shorter). All this by “programming the setup with with banana cables, and using either the switches/touch pads, or pulses from an external source to select which sequence plays. You can practically sequence up an entire song this way. Very cool.

To the person who sees no purpose for the Horizontal Reset Pad, it’s clear you haven’t played a TKB... and more so haven’t played THIS TKB with it’s new features, I briefly described above. That pad is in fact VERY useful.

Cheers everyone, Dean.
syncretism
I'm pretty sure tobb has spent time in front of a TKB. It's not clear from the panel what the H/V pad at the bottom left is for, so thanks for clarifying.

All in all, it looks like lovely kit. I really like the ABCD/CDAB pair; that presents some really fun compositional possibilities.
KyronMusic
I certainly meant no disrespect to “Tobb”. As we all know there are more people on the net commenting on things based on what they’ve read/seen/heard than those who have experienced it in REAL life. It’s not always clear who is who.

TKB users know that the “Reset” pulse input is actually not that. Reset means go back to zero or the beginning. Preset however means “previously set”. Ie “I twiddled all the knobs on my Memorymoog, made a sound I liked, and saved it as a “Preset” for later use!

In the case of the Serge TKB pulsing the “Reset” jack does not take you back to position 1. It returns you to the last touch switch pressed. Press 4 and “Reset takes you back (or forward for that matter) to position 4. Press 12 and, we’ll you get the picture.

My version has correctly labeled this function as “Preset” and included a proper “Reset” pulse input. Going further I added a Vertical Reset pulse input and the combined V/H reset touch plate. This allows the user the jump back to position “1”, jump up to row “A”, or by touching both halves of the Reset plate, jump to A-1. By not touching any of the 1-16 touch plates, you do not upset the preset loop you may have previously setup.
This is how to can set up individual or nested loops and freely, instantaneously switch between them.
Hope that clears things up.
Cheers, Dean.
indexofmetals
Dean, did you make any more of these? It looks like it'd be extremely creative and perfect for what I do.
syncretism
KyronMusic wrote:
TKB users know that the “Reset” pulse input is actually not that. Reset means go back to zero or the beginning. Preset however means “previously set”. Ie “I twiddled all the knobs on my Memorymoog, made a sound I liked, and saved it as a “Preset” for later use!

In the case of the Serge TKB pulsing the “Reset” jack does not take you back to position 1. It returns you to the last touch switch pressed. Press 4 and “Reset takes you back (or forward for that matter) to position 4. Press 12 and, we’ll you get the picture.

My version has correctly labeled this function as “Preset” and included a proper “Reset” pulse input. Going further I added a Vertical Reset pulse input and the combined V/H reset touch plate. This allows the user the jump back to position “1”, jump up to row “A”, or by touching both halves of the Reset plate, jump to A-1. By not touching any of the 1-16 touch plates, you do not upset the preset loop you may have previously setup.
This is how to can set up individual or nested loops and freely, instantaneously switch between them.
Hope that clears things up.
Cheers, Dean.

It does. I have no strong opinions about the reset/preset terminology (doesn't Serge already use “preset” for a stage in a sequencer/programmer a la the TKB or SQP panels? I can’t remember), but I do appreciate the distinction. The Serge behavior, of course, is why we can program alternate or sub-sequences, but a “stage one” input opens up a lot of terrific possibilities. This really looks like a joy to use.
tobb
EDIT post contend moved to PM

KyronMusic i have send you a PM
KyronMusic
Hello gang, I’ve had some very complimentary eMails regarding my TKB 2.0 and I thank them all for being so nice. I’ve also had requests for me to make more. Unfortunately there is a back story. Years ago I partnered up with a local chap that was a HARDCORE Buchla fan and (this was before all the clones began) wanted to be one of the first. The “other” DB had no plans to remake the 259 at the time so gave us the blessing to do so... with restrictions. I massaged the circuit slightly to replace on unobtanium part, scanned through almost 10,000 fonts and EXACTLY reproduced the Front Panel, and taught him the process of laying out a PCB from a scan of an original. Parts were ordered. He assembled the PCB’s and I fixed his mistakes (100% failure rate on his part) and did all the testing and calibration. Sales were good and we reinvested to start several other projects. The TKB which was 100% my project, and a couple of other Buchla panels he was desperate for.

Boards, panels, and parts were ordered... and then he disappeared taking virtually everything. seriously, i just don't get it I never got a 259, I wasn’t paid for the last 4 or 5 we sold, and he took at least $5k worth of parts. I was out about 10k total. The only parts I was left with were 3 TKB panels, 3 TKB PCB’s, the touch keyboard PCB’s, and a few rails of op-amps.

Fortunately I do have all the original artwork so I could eventually get them remade, though I’d have to source out new manufacturers. This was well over 10 years ago.

So... sadly I can’t put together any more right now. I neither have the finances to order all the boards, panels, and parts necessary... nor the time to single handedly assemble and test them. I suppose if there was enough interest for JUST a Panel, the components PCB, and the Touch PCB, I could put a kit together with those, a BOM, and assembly instructions. But even that would take a while to put together.
I’m finally getting my first Vacation IN FOUR YEARS! For two weeks in May I’ll be in Ireland with my Girlfriend Drinking Whiskey and enjoying the culture, history, nature, and People. I can’t tell you how badly I need a break. eek!

Aaanywayyy... Thanks again... and keep on Making instruments... and music... and having fun. Life’s too short to sweat the stuff you can’t control.
Cheers, Dean.
MechaSeb
Thanks Dean for the whole informations.
I changed the title of the post to refer to your creation. Sorry if it ended up you received a lot of MP's about it but i can understand why.

Have a nice holiday break ! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1