MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Befaco VCMC voltage controlled MIDI controller
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Befaco VCMC voltage controlled MIDI controller
Ruiner
Just announced! No additional details yet but they have pictures on instagram:

from facebook:

"A fully mappable voltage controlled Midi controller!
A Twist on the old concept of CV to MIDI, providing a performative take and full control over the messages you map. We look forward CV-centric system rather than MIDI-centric ones!!"
Rex Coil 7
.... or the Kenton Pro CV-to-MIDI converter, then you may use any CV source and convert it to MIDI. Note that it's not a MIDI-to-CV converter ... but a CV-to-MIDI converter.

$155.00 takes it home from the likes of Perfect Circuit or Detroit Modular.

LINK to Kenton info page = https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/pcvmidi.shtml

thumbs up
Ruiner
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
.... or the Kenton Pro CV-to-MIDI converter, then you may use any CV source and convert it to MIDI. Note that it's not a MIDI-to-CV converter ... but a CV-to-MIDI converter.

$155.00 takes it home from the likes of Perfect Circuit or Detroit Modular.

LINK to Kenton info page = https://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/pcvmidi.shtml

thumbs up

Yes the Befaco is also a CV-to-MIDI converter... but with many more cv I/Os and it's eurorack. I realized this isn't the first cv to midi converter on the market but it seems to have a lot more flexibility than something like that Kenton.
boramx
looking forward to more info on this
Befacosynth
User manual and list of specs. will be available after superbooth!

In the meantime, Modulargrid page is available with some teasing info wink
Angroc
Friggin awesome! I've been on the fence for a CV-to-MIDI converter for a long time, and this really could be it.

Does it send to CC? If so, is the channel and CC# programmable on board?
Paranormal Patroler
Angroc wrote:
Friggin awesome! I've been on the fence for a CV-to-MIDI converter for a long time, and this really could be it.

Does it send to CC? If so, is the channel and CC# programmable on board?

Yeah, it's all programmable on the module itself. And at 20hp and 30mm depth it conveniently fits on a 4ms POD! nanners
Angroc
Holy shit! Can't wait then!! applause
CaneMan
Ooohh.... I've been looking for something like this. It's peanut butter jelly time!
coolshirtdotjpg
This thing looks like the holy grail. I've been wanting something like this for my studio for years.
Carrousel
That looks fucking brilliant. Will the sliders be attenuators for the CV patched in? Or just an offset to give manual wiggling for the CC? Would be much more interested in the latter....
Paranormal Patroler
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
This thing looks like the holy grail. I've been wanting something like this for my studio for years.

Honestly? It's not the first CV to MIDI module out there you know. Granted, it's very convenient in terms of UI (who doesn't love sliders and buttons?) but if you were looking for one for a long time... Mr. Green
listentoaheartbeat
If I had owned this module at the time, I might not have sold my Eventide H9.
Befacosynth
Carrousel wrote:
That looks fucking brilliant. Will the sliders be attenuators for the CV patched in? Or just an offset to give manual wiggling for the CC? Would be much more interested in the latter....

You can map them independently from the CV ins, and also link them either as sum or attenuator of that CV in. smile
Carrousel
Befacosynth wrote:
Carrousel wrote:

You can map them independently from the CV ins, and also link them either as sum or attenuator of that CV in. smile

Amazing!
Angroc
Ok saw a great superbooth video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYsM62lAoFU&t=289s
It looks crazy awesome! But it sounds to me like it can't store presets? Only dump out SysEx data? Shame to have to whip out a computer+sysex librarian just to store some presets.

Could an update with patch storage ever be implemented? The demoer mentions that it can be a lengthy process to make a patch on it, so from what it sounds like it would be nice to store presets directly on the machine.

Think if you have a liveset, different songs could use different setups, instead of having to make a preset that fits the whole performance.

Still looking awesome though. Just seems so fun and flexible. Rockin' Banana!
SOPiiAC
This is going to be so fun to connect to cirklon. Can't wait!
coolshirtdotjpg
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

Honestly? It's not the first CV to MIDI module out there you know. Granted, it's very convenient in terms of UI (who doesn't love sliders and buttons?) but if you were looking for one for a long time... Mr. Green

Having owned three from two different manufacturers I can assure you, you are wrong.

1. none of the CV to MIDI under $400 actually converts you sequences without weird glitches or added notes.

2. none of them offer more than 2 channels (under $400)

3. None of them have easily assignable midi parameters (a screen versus inaccessible dip switch programming (I'm not an arcade machine repairman!)

4. none of them have hands on controllers built in.

5. none of them have Note, Gate, CC all at once.

6. none of them have DIY options.

Like I said, holy grail. If you have used any of the CV to midi options in euro, you will know what I mean. Read any of the threads on it.
Paranormal Patroler
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Having owned three from two different manufacturers I can assure you, you are wrong.

I love how secure you are in your opinion, let's see what points you raise to back up what you say:

Quote:
1. none of the CV to MIDI under $400 actually converts you sequences without weird glitches or added notes.

First off, you don't know that this does everything perfectly; not yet. (apologies Befaco, I trust you nailed it, but I reserve my judgement until after I've tested this). I haven't had major problems with any of the modules I've been using. If you've had problems with the a-192-2 check that your gates arrive after your sequencer's pitch is on the right value.

Also, good luck with that attitude. CV-to-MIDI means you need to embrace the glitchiness; somewhat. It's not a perfect translation. I'm testing the modules in audio-rate just to see how far they can be pushed. If the synth at the end gives in before the module does, then the module passes the test.

Quote:
2. none of them offer more than 2 channels (under $400)

ADDAC222 is 360 euros, four channels. Doepfer a-192-1 is 16 inputs and it was cheaper than the Befaco or the ADDAC.

Quote:
3. None of them have easily assignable midi parameters (a screen versus inaccessible dip switch programming (I'm not an arcade machine repairman!)

ADDAC221 uses a simple computer app and sports on-board attenuation & offset, which is really cool. You can also switch between 9 presets (Befaco seems to have two if I recall correctly).

I really prefer the Befaco programming method, which I personally checked during SB19, but the ADDAC has been around for a few years so I don't think you're right to complain about the previous modules being difficult to program. They are not. The Doepfer a-192-1, which is the one with the dip switches, is just as easy: you can set via the dip switch once and then use the computer to program. When I talked with Befaco about their design the first thing I pointed out was that an on-board programming method would distance this from other modules. My first experience with this module is that the menu is easy to navigate, but if you want performable changes the 222's MIDI channel switches are still a better option. So there are still ups and downs with each design, there's no perfect solution. For instance, most designs have a MIDI input that can merge incoming signals, the Befaco does not. You'd need a MIDI merger to pull that off. So, someone might prefer that to having an external module as the controller.

Quote:
4. none of them have hands on controllers built in.

What are you even talking about? The ADDAC ones have all the controls you could possibly want! Really nice options on both the 221 and the 222, including switches, attenuators, offsets, octave switches, etc.

Quote:
5. none of them have Note, Gate, CC all at once.

Doepfer a-192-1 does all of the above. Doesn't do V/oct pitch but it can do NoteOn/Off. Before you say it doesn't and that Doepfer says so on his website, be advised: it does and I've used it as such a lot of times so, no, Dieter is actually wrong on his site about this. Also the SDS_VCO does Notes and CC as well, so there's that option at 3hp. The a-192-2 can do two CC messages as well as V/Oct. It also has a nice transposition input.

Quote:
6. none of them have DIY options.

Not true. mxmxmx's CV2MIDI (or C2M on Modular Grid) is only available as DIY. It's also open source, so guess what, you can program your own 5-channel version in 10hp.

Quote:
Like I said, holy grail. If you have used any of the CV to midi options in euro, you will know what I mean. Read any of the threads on it.

I currently own the following: a-192-1, 2 x a-192-2, ADDAC221, ADDAC222, 2 x mxmxmx CV2MIDI, SDS_VCO (has a MIDI firmware in case you didn't know), Iungo, Ladik M218, Ladik M217, the Ladik Clock-to-MIDI clock, some non Eurorack options, as well as some modules that aren't available yet. I've also tested vpme.de's trig31 and the ES Disting for a while, but I haven't tried the uTune, at least not yet. I want to get it at some point. So yeah, welcome to club. I've been doing CV-to-MIDI for a bit, it's not a new thing.

I'm also very excited about the Befaco design for a while, but holy grail? Really? I see your point (even though you got 0/6 points - you shouldn't be so secure in your opinion next time. Saying that someone is wrong to their face doesn't make you look clever. There's actually some very knowledgeable people around these parts.) but that doesn't warrant "waiting for it for years" when there are few comparable options out there with some strengths over this design.

Still, I'm excited about it as well. I'm buying it as soon as it comes out, so let's be friends hihi
Paranormal Patroler
Bump for this still not being available. cry
coolshirtdotjpg
I'm not going to reply to your massive quote block because that would be a mess. I'll take it point by point. You seem to ignore that I'm looking for one module that does all the things in my list, and despite your heaps of text/sarcasm, you can't manage to do that.

First off, yeah, obviously it has to work. That's not a counterpoint, and you can't argue against your hypothetical, so let's brush that aside for the moment and assume it does work properly. If it doesn't, obviously I'm not interested. I'm not going to reply to your opinions about my attitude, because, I don't care. I will say that having a product to covert a static voltage into midi is not rocket science and it should work perfectly. That's all I'm asking for. I want my sequences to go out, the way they come in. My modular is the center of my studio and I didn't pay 1,000 for euro sequences that won't play the notes I assigned them. If you don't care, good for you.

Second, you do understand that 360 euros is more than 400 dollars right? Not that you can find it in the US for that price anyway.

Doepfer a-192-1 does all of the above. Doesn't do V/oct pitch but it can do NoteOn/Off. Before you say it doesn't and that Doepfer says so on his website, be advised: it does and I've used it as such a lot of times so, no, Dieter is actually wrong on his site about this. Also the SDS_VCO does Notes and CC as well, so there's that option at 3hp. The a-192-2 can do two CC messages as well as V/Oct. It also has a nice transposition input.

I've read those threads as well, but why would I want to sequence vintage midi synths with something that doesn't do V/0? You're not making any sense. At the very least CC is incompatible with older midi synths like my juno 106, which I'd like to sequence.

As far as the ADDAC having controllers built in, again, yes I know about that option, but they are designed to as stand-alone midi controllers, like this, and obviously having a huge bank of midi sliders is a bonus. Also, do I need to remind you that neither offer CC and note sequencing together, nor are they easily reassignable via screen, nor are they under 400 dollars.

I'm not even slagging the ADDAC option, but it does strike me as much better to have freely assignable note sequencing/CC inputs rather than one or the other. If I bought both ADDAC systems I'd be out 850, not including taxes. So yes, I know it's an option, but I'd rather have something more flexible. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

The MXMXMX option is SMD, and I'd want through-hole, so, that doesn't help. Also befaco offer DIY kits, which is also preferable on a complicated module such as this.

Finally, as far as bragging about how many CV to MIDI options you own; good for you, I'm glad you've spent several grand on options that you admit are glitchy and, from the perspective of writing songs with synchronized parts, useless. Some of us don't want to spend all day recording something over and over again because a module we spent hundreds of dollars on is outputting the wrong notes.

BTW, I talked to Dieter about this, and yes, I know about the gate situation, that wasn't the problem with my 191-2.

Again, for me, if this works, it's the holy grail, for those that want feel to feel smug about owning gear that doesn't work, there are other options. Ultimately what was expressing was my personal excitement for the module, and, as you can see, based on my own specifications, this module is hands-down the best option, provided it works well. It may not be for you. I don't care, but if you're going to be a prick about it, I'm happy to continue knocking you down a few pegs.
Paranormal Patroler
applause couldn't care less.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1