MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frap Tools USTA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Frap Tools USTA
Ruiner
applause

USTA is a 4×4 tracks sequencer for voltages and gates with variable stage duration, designed to quickly see and edit multiple voltage relationships in real time.

“Variable stage duration” means that every single stage duration can be individually set in relation to the clock, instead of being constrained to a one-to-one ratio (i.e. one stage per every clock impulse).

“4×4 tracks” means that every stage can store and generate up to four separate voltages (two CVs and two gates), and that up to four independent stage sequences can be arranged into as many different tracks.

Its architecture is based on an array of 16 ‘Stages’ which form a ‘Pattern’; 16 patterns form a ‘Track’, and four tracks form a ‘Project’. Within each track, each stage can provide two gates and two CVs, and a wide set of options is available to define and modify the value of each output (‘Layers’) and the way it is played (‘Colors’).

Every Stage is related to a dedicated stepped encoder for quick and intuitive editing, and all the 16 encoders are arranged in an oval layout with a circular playhead. Every encoder is surrounded by a ring of 16 LEDs and a RGB led, to provide a visual feedback of the current setting of that step basing on the layer you are working on (like raw CV, quantized CV, length, gate…) and the way it should play depending on the RGB color.
Key Features
Hands-on layout with physical control per stage and intuitive visual feedback
Variable stage length
Independent time ratios on internal or external clock per each track
Complete track independence
4 fully independent tracks with 2 gates and 2 CV each
Raw / quantized CV with quantization scales and roots
Pattern mode to edit and play live dynamically, and song mode for a defined sequence of pre edited patterns
Composition mode to edit a stopped track with CV monitoring
Normal, skip, or length based slide CV mode per each stage
Unified gate and ratcheting
External CV routing to multiple targets
Store of modulated and/or pseudo randomized patterns in realtime
Siete
Looks absolutely killer, hp/price?
Siete
Found it to be 36 hp nevermind.
damase
nice, very interested to see more. too bad its not 34hp to be easily replacing rene2... which for me has been getting me along but it is not perfect
richc90
From the limited info, it reminds me of cross between a Buchla 250e and an ER-101. It'll be interesting to see what the workflow is like.
Ruiner
richc90 wrote:
From the limited info, it reminds me of cross between a Buchla 250e and an ER-101. It'll be interesting to see what the workflow is like.

There is additional info on their site that really looks promising.
blinosynth
Price??
j259
I hope they think about adding cv record from external keyboard. Enter values with dials is a pain in the ass sometimes.
richc90
Ruiner wrote:
richc90 wrote:

I know, that's what drew the ER-101 comparison.

j259 wrote:
I hope they think about adding cv record from external keyboard. Enter values with dials is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Ye, the ER-102 adds so much to the ER-101 for precisely this reason.
j259
richc90 wrote:
Ruiner wrote:
richc90 wrote:

j259 wrote:

Yep, you're right on all counts.

Nice to see something so clearly inspired by 250e, that looks pretty, and nice to have loops too.

What I want is a sequencer in eurorack that is arbitrary length with chaining, arbitrary and swung clock (and multi-clock like Rene/Rene2 and from what I understand Five12 Vector with trig input expander), cv modulation of nested loop/jumps/skip/ratchet etc, inter-track triggering/modulation, cv record to step from external keyboard, and live cv record with an option for completely unquantized high resolution microtiming. And some general pattern moving overview would be nice but I hate menus and maschine grid displays.

This ticks most boxes.
TemplarK
j259 wrote:
richc90 wrote:
Ruiner wrote:
richc90 wrote:

j259 wrote:

Yep, you're right on all counts.

Nice to see something so clearly inspired by 250e, that looks pretty, and nice to have loops too.

What I want is a sequencer in eurorack that is arbitrary length with chaining, arbitrary and swung clock (and multi-clock like Rene/Rene2 and from what I understand Five12 Vector with trig input expander), cv modulation of nested loop/jumps/skip/ratchet etc, inter-track triggering/modulation, cv record to step from external keyboard, and live cv record with an option for completely unquantized high resolution microtiming. And some general pattern moving overview would be nice but I hate menus and maschine grid displays.

This ticks most boxes.

Will this be able to make a sequence that steps are triggered when the previous step end so you can make funkily timed sequences? Chaining i guess you would call it?
nectarios
Buchla - 250e is one of the best looking modules for me.
This looks great too.
richc90
From insta: "The maximum pattern length will be 16 stages, one per encoder. However each stage's duration can be independently set from 0 to 16 "units"
TemplarK
richc90 wrote:
From insta: "The maximum pattern length will be 16 stages, one per encoder. However each stage's duration can be independently set from 0 to 16 "units"

Ah so its just like Varigate basically. I was hoping that each stage wouldn't require a trigger from a clock and you could set it going with a trigger then have each step run one after another based on the length of the step just running resets. Seems that this is more like the usual "trigger the stage and it lasts for 1%-99% divided into 16 units of course".
hawkfuzz
I'm guessing $700.

I feel like Frap Tools are always slightly more expensive than the competition...however, it's digital so maybe manufacturing is cheaper...either way this is a good addition to the market that offers a lot of what's out there with a different approach.

I like the dual outs and am curious why it's 4 and not 8. Maybe they are configured.
BTG
Curious to see power draw and how tiny that screen is in practice. I'm pretty tired of micro sized OLEDs.

This is the first Frap Tools module that at least feels like it has a logical jack layout. I sold my Sapel because it wasn't ergonomic and drew a ton of power.
franman69
Looks very interesting to me as well.. Buchla'esque in a very Frap way. Might have to move on this one. (Rene V1 moving to the shelf??)
Virusinstaller
This is a really cool looking and interesting sequencer. Looking forward to seeing some demos at Superbooth over the weekend.
mdoudoroff
Projected price seems to be ~US$750.

TemplarK wrote:
richc90 wrote:

Ah so its just like Varigate basically. I was hoping that each stage wouldn't require a trigger from a clock and you could set it going with a trigger then have each step run one after another based on the length of the step just running resets. Seems that this is more like the usual "trigger the stage and it lasts for 1%-99% divided into 16 units of course".

According to the USTA web site, each track can have its own, independent tempo, not just a div/mult of a single master (or external) clock. If so, then that should buy you an approximation of the free-running behavior of the 250e or Rossum Control Forge, it’s just that your stage durations will be expressed in 1/16ths of a clock rather than in arbitrary time.
richc90
Series of videos of USTA in action: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17984626486226659/

Also, Frap confirmed to me that recording of external CV is possible.
jmax313
richc90 wrote:
Series of videos of USTA in action: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17984626486226659/

Also, Frap confirmed to me that recording of external CV is possible.

Looks really promising. Now is a good time to decide on a new sequencer with all the options available :-)
hawkfuzz
only extra feature I'd want is the RENE feature when you hold steps and it isolates those steps.

This thing looks fantastic though.
hawkfuzz
Partial manual

http://frap.tools/docs/MANUALONE_A4_rev1.pdf
stujay18
I'm between this and the ER101/102...is it accurate to say that this is an updated version of the ER101/102, which was designed, I believe, in 2013?
hawkfuzz
Not a grip of people own one, so it's not a question you can get an answer to really. Check back in October.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2