MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

First patch with rings
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author First patch with rings
joncharliefeathers
Hey everyone..

I've just, finally, got 'Rings' and would be interested to consider any patch ideas you might like to share.
ggillon
A few ideas:
Rings into clouds
Clouds into rings
Potato into rings
R.U.Nuts
joncharliefeathers wrote:
Hey everyone..

I've just, finally, got 'Rings' and would be interested to consider any patch ideas you might like to share.

There is a huge thread about Rings with tons of patch ideas and corresponding sound examples in this subforum. Just use the search engine.
Furthermore if you ask for help concerning patches you get better answers if you show your whole rack and not only tell us about a certain module you want to use in a patch...
Muff McMuff
i don't think the search is working at the mo. Here is a link to the rings thread.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151238
benjiblanco
Be interested to know where you managed to source Rings from in the UK.
Been looking for weeks now refreshing all the main stores for stock, but no joy.
lisa
First patch? Sequencer to the 1v/o input and then twist the knobs. Repeat in each of the modes. Instant love. love
Groundloop
lisa wrote:
First patch? Sequencer to the 1v/o input and then twist the knobs. Repeat in each of the modes. Instant love. love

Pretty much this.

For extra fun, put some colour of noise through a filter with an envelope/LFO modulating the cutoff, then send the output to the IN on Rings.
joncharliefeathers
lisa wrote:

TES
joncharliefeathers
lisa wrote:

TES

Exactly what I wanted to know x
joncharliefeathers
Groundloop wrote:
lisa wrote:

Pretty much this.

For extra fun, put some colour of noise through a filter with an envelope/LFO modulating the cutoff, then send the output to the IN on Rings.

Love your track
Shledge
Put it into clouds and be in wonder of discovering a rare find in the modular community.
synonymist
Hey everyone..

Hello. Amending the good advice that others already gave, here is my experience of using Rings during the past year or so:

Rings is a deep module. It is a powerful instrument with many sonic and behavioral personalities.

Yes, patching a few cables and turning a couple of knobs can yield useful and gratifying results. Indeed it's hard to get a bad sound out of Rings. This was why I hesitated to get the module at first: it's too easy. And to my taste the parts of the Rings sonic palette that are easiest to invoke quickly seem hackneyed. This might be said of anything; but I find that Rings is particularly prone to trite usage.

Luckily there is so much more to the module. Happily I tried Rings and stayed with it long enough to discover its depth and flexibility. Gratefully I acknowledge Mme. Gillet's brilliant contribution to music making by inventing it.

Among the things about Rings to keep in mind are: it is not only a resonator, but also a filter; its audio loves to be processed in all sorts of ways; its Odd and Even outputs are much more than mere stereo outs.

Ring-a-ding... enjoy. smile
djd_oz
Try this,

https://www.infinitesimal.eu/modules/index.php/Mutable_Instruments_Rin gs
MindMachine
Shledge wrote:
Put it into clouds and be in wonder of discovering a rare find in the modular community.

Mr. Green

But yeah, gated noise or slowly rising noise (via VCA) can be cool.
synonymist
synonymist wrote:
Hey everyone..

Hello. Amending the good advice that others already gave, here is my experience of using Rings during the past year or so:

Rings is a deep module. It is a powerful instrument with many sonic and behavioral personalities.

Yes, patching a few cables and turning a couple of knobs can yield useful and gratifying results. Indeed it's hard to get a bad sound out of Rings. This was why I hesitated to get the module at first: it's too easy. And to my taste the parts of the Rings sonic palette that are easiest to invoke quickly seem hackneyed. This might be said of anything; but I find that Rings is particularly prone to trite usage.

Luckily there is so much more to the module. Happily I tried Rings and stayed with it long enough to discover its depth and flexibility. Gratefully I acknowledge Mme. Gillet's brilliant contribution to music making by inventing it.

Among the things about Rings to keep in mind are: it is not only a resonator, but also a filter; its audio loves to be processed in all sorts of ways; its Odd and Even outputs are much more than mere stereo outs.

Last night, my modules newly rearranged (again), with a few new ones installed, I remembered this thread. Inspired to walk my talk here, once more I looked for something new to me that I could make with Rings.

This time I used µRings SE. As before, I had to reach past what was easy to do. And as before, Rings did not disappoint me.

In this track, µRings SE is the source of 1. the chorus overdrive guitar sound, and 2. the sarangi sound. Aided by Piston Honda Mark III used as a waveshaper and by Nebulae v2, Rings let me achieve sounds that I could not by other means that I have now (note the complex articulation of the bow striking the strings of the sarangi... crazy):

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/transom

P.S. - Since newly I am displeased with SoundCloud: until I find an alternative, my tracks there will be few and short-lived.
moosey2juicy
I guess I am just a stereotype, but I love patching Rings into Clouds. The hours of satisfaction you can get from just a sequencer and those 2 modules is immense.
cg_funk
ggillon wrote:
A few ideas:
Rings into clouds
Clouds into rings
Potato into rings

Potato into rings? Seriously?? ha ha.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91995&sid=08b128bb8a 219fb65b9cc64e0f361ed2

Yes! Apparently! I really want to try this fruit->CV thing now.
Groundloop
moosey2juicy wrote:
I guess I am just a stereotype, but I love patching Rings into Clouds. The hours of satisfaction you can get from just a sequencer and those 2 modules is immense.

Indeed. I got my Clouds clone (µBurst) last week and finally got around to "Rings into Clouds" on Sunday. Had the same patch playing for 6 or 7 hours, just making occasional tiny adjustments to envelopes & LFO's modulating the µBurst, manually tweaking Rings and changing access on René in snake mode.

That was an enjoyable chunk of time.
grep
Try modulating Structure with an envelope for some cool slides.
joncharliefeathers
ggillon wrote:
A few ideas:
Rings into clouds
Clouds into rings
Potato into rings

Mashing potatoes!
Robrecht
Noise, controlled through a filter and a VCA, and then into Rings' audio input is a good starting point for experimentation.

Here it is with Rings' red/Karplus-Strong mode mimicking a cello (the filtered noise comes from Plaits in this case).

[s]https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/alyseum-01-34-modular-cello[/s]
Voggg
if y'all ever buy a $10 modal synth plug-in prepare to have your minds blown
R.U.Nuts
ggillon wrote:
A few ideas:
Rings into clouds
Clouds into rings
Potato into rings

Mashing potatoes!

If you throw potatoes at a burning tennis racket they will come out as frech fries on the other side hihi Does anything comparably awesome happen when you put potatoes through Rings? seriously, i just don't get it
nostalghia
Duh...
mgallagher641
synonymist wrote:

+1 to all of this, strikingly similar experience here. Initially I loved it because it sounds so beautiful, but then after a time I got a bit bored - although the different modes sound different to each other, each one can sound quite samey. But recently I have rediscovered how good it can be, and realised it is very deep indeed.

I recommend lots of modulation, and trying different stuff into the input. Harmonically rich, noisy stuff works well. Telharmonic into Rings is usually a winner - any of the three Tel outputs. Having a VCA CV'd by a varying envelope, e.g. on a noise source, then going into rings, can be cool.

I also like flipping through the 4/2/1 voice modes once I have a patch running. Sometimes even if you don't want poly, the poly modes rolls off the top end because it uses fewer bands, so it can sound nicer for some uses (I know, it's not *real* poly - but you know what I mean).

Rings is surprisingly good for bass, if you play around a bit.

Finally, try the hidden modes if you've not done this already. Long button press on the synthesis model button until the LED flashes. This gives 2 op FM, chords and karplus with a reverb. The 2 op FM is awesome for Solid Bass type stuff.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2