First patch with rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: First patch with rings

Post by synonymist » Wed May 08, 2019 5:52 am

mgallagher641 wrote:
synonymist wrote:
Hello. Amending the good advice that others already gave, here is my experience of using Rings during the past year or so:

Rings is a deep module. It is a powerful instrument with many sonic and behavioral personalities...
+1 to all of this, strikingly similar experience here. Initially I loved it because it sounds so beautiful, but then after a time I got a bit bored - although the different modes sound different to each other, each one can sound quite samey. But recently I have rediscovered how good it can be, and realised it is very deep indeed...

Finally, try the hidden modes if you've not done this already...
Awesome. And thank you for the reminder: I think that I have yet to try Rings's hidden modes!

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 am

cg_funk wrote:
ggillon wrote:A few ideas:
Rings into clouds
Clouds into rings
Potato into rings
Potato into rings? Seriously?? ha ha.

viewtopic.php?t=91995&sid=08b128bb8a219 ... 4e0f361ed2

Yes! Apparently! I really want to try this fruit->CV thing now.

Not exactly the same but here is another take on the music-making potato
[video][/video]

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 am

Robrecht wrote:Noise, controlled through a filter and a VCA, and then into Rings' audio input is a good starting point for experimentation.

Here it is with Rings' red/Karplus-Strong mode mimicking a cello (the filtered noise comes from Plaits in this case).

https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/alyseu ... ular-cello
Love this, man.

Gonna try it today.

Ghost Hip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ghost Hip » Wed May 08, 2019 10:23 am

Running drum machines/drum tracks into the input of Rings is a lot of fun. If you're able to sync your system to the drum track/drum machine you can get some wonderful results. :hobbes:

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Wed May 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Robrecht wrote:Noise, controlled through a filter and a VCA, and then into Rings' audio input is a good starting point for experimentation.

Here it is with Rings' red/Karplus-Strong mode mimicking a cello (the filtered noise comes from Plaits in this case).

Tried and failed. How do you get the pitch to change without striking? I tried slew on maths but couldn't get it quite right.

Would you care to elaborate on how you achieved it?

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed May 08, 2019 2:39 pm

nostalghia wrote:Duh...
Ring shaped French Fries! :yay: But do you have to set Rings on fire to get them? :hmm:

Seriously: Radio Music full of arbitrary samples of any kind through a VCA for amplitude control is great food for Rings.

Groundloop
Common Wiggler

Post by Groundloop » Wed May 08, 2019 6:44 pm

DDJ wrote:

Tried and failed. How do you get the pitch to change without striking? I tried slew on maths but couldn't get it quite right.

Would you care to elaborate on how you achieved it?
Just mucking with this now and I managed to get some bow like articulation. Structure at about 9 o'clock, Damping and Position around 12 o'clock, Brightness at 11 o'clock, Frequency around 10 o'clock. Pitch and Gate from René, with the same AD envelope opening the VCA and modding cutoff on an Intelligel Dr. Octature II, frequency at 9 o'clock and no resonance. Filter definitely worked best using the 4 pole (24dB) output. Kinda digging it.

I too would like more details from Robrecht if possible. :hail:

grep
Veteran Wiggler

Post by grep » Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I got some pretty good bowed cello sounds in this track, especially after 1:54.

https://soundcloud.com/analogfridays/pamelas-new-scale

Robrecht
Common Wiggler

Post by Robrecht » Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 am

Well... All I have is some photos I took of the whole setup and this diagram (ballpoint pens on a printout from Modular Grid). :eek: Click to enlarge.

The two "circle in a square" thingies were my ad-hoc symbols for passive mults, apparently.

Not sure why I sent Plaits' output through that Pico VCA, since Plaits has a built-in VCA of its own. :despair:

Stages is mainly used for an ADSR envelope that is subtly modulated by midi velocity, aftertouch and mod (through Yarns) to make the notes more or less staccato. The Disting provides a delay, clocked with a pulse from PNW based on the tempo of Yarns' arpeggio's divided by 1.5.

Those details make everything look complicated because I had to route the CVs from Yarns through MI Links in different ways, but they aren't that important.

I quickly got a very similar sound yesterday during a workshop by just replicating the core settings of Plaits and Rings from my notes (except yesterday I controlled the cello sound using CV from my theremin instead of a keyboard!).

So basically pitch from Yarns split through a buffered mult and into both Rings' and Plaits' V/Oct, Plaits in filtered noise mode (second red led) with the main output into Rings' audio input, with Rings in red (Karplus-Strong) mode. Check the pictures for knob settings. I don't remember the exact octave setting for Plaits but it was rather low. Dark filtered noise from any other source should work just as well.

grep, that track sounds great!

Robrecht
Common Wiggler

Post by Robrecht » Thu May 09, 2019 3:54 am

DDJ wrote:Tried and failed. How do you get the pitch to change without striking? I tried slew on maths but couldn't get it quite right.
I'm not a 100 percent sure. I remember sometimes when concatenating notes in a certain way I did get a strike/strum, but not that often. Maybe what helps is that I sent the noise through a VCA with a non-zero envelope attack time first, so the moment the pitch CV into Rings changes, there isn't any sound coming through?

Also, in the recording, I leave gaps between the notes (or rather, Yarn's arpeggiator does, with gate length at 3, if I remember correctly), and the release time on that envelope is pretty short. As you can see on the diagram, the envelope (from Stages) also modulates damping on Rings, so that same short release time turns down damping as soon as the note is released to keep it from resonating too long. So when I hit the next note, Rings isn't, well, ringing anymore. That probably prevents it from creating a strum when the pitch CV changes.

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Thu May 09, 2019 10:13 am

Robrecht wrote:https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/alyseu ... ular-cello
DDJ wrote:Tried and failed. How do you get the pitch to change without striking? I tried slew on maths but couldn't get it quite right.
I'm not a 100 percent sure. I remember sometimes when concatenating notes in a certain way I did get a strike/strum, but not that often. Maybe what helps is that I sent the noise through a VCA with a non-zero envelope attack time first, so the moment the pitch CV into Rings changes, there isn't any sound coming through?

Also, in the recording, I leave gaps between the notes (or rather, Yarn's arpeggiator does, with gate length at 3, if I remember correctly), and the release time on that envelope is pretty short. As you can see on the diagram, the envelope (from Stages) also modulates damping on Rings, so that same short release time turns down damping as soon as the note is released to keep it from resonating too long. So when I hit the next note, Rings isn't, well, ringing anymore. That probably prevents it from creating a strum when the pitch CV changes.
Thanks for this! You put a lot of effort into helping me out with this.

I’m going to spend some time with it today. I’ll upload something if I dig the results.

Groundloop
Common Wiggler

Post by Groundloop » Thu May 09, 2019 12:30 pm

@Robrecht, thanks for taking the time to post your setup. Much appreciated. It got me a little closer when I tried this morning. Still didn't get to the sound you posted, but it's been fun. Does Plaits actually pitch the noise? I don't have one so I tried noise from Kinks and a Mother-32. I got better results from Mother just because I could control it's volume before it got to the VCA. I ended up putting the Rings output through Clouds (of course), and hey! English horn & trumpet like sounds.

Robrecht
Common Wiggler

Post by Robrecht » Fri May 10, 2019 3:34 am

Groundloop, when I get a chance I'll look into what the settings on Plaits do with the noise, exactly. It'd be interesting to see if I could perhaps replace it with another noise source and free up Plaits in this patch.

The Harmonics knob sets the state of the LP/HP filter (slightly towards HP in this case); Morph controls resonance (zero); the V/Oct input controls the filter cut-off point, together with the Frequency knob (so indeed a kind of pitching); and the Timbre knob controls the "variable clock" for the noise. Not even sure what that means -- like a sample-and-hold maybe, making the noise a little "coarser"? In that case a reasonably fast pulse triggering Kinks could procude a similar result from its Out jack. I'll listen to and compare my various noise sources next time I'm with my modular.

English horn and trumpet sounds great too, though!

Edit: I experimented a little further and found that downclocking the noise, like Timbre knob on Plaits does, plays a part in creating the cello sound by making the exciter noise scratchier, like a well-rosined bow pulling on the strings. I was able to get a very similar sound using Kinks' S&H output triggered with a very fast (high audio range) pulse wave.

That allowed me to create a more compact cello patch using just Rings, Kinks, a VCA and Stages (three stages as an ASR envelope, two to generate a high-pitch pulse signal and one as a rudimentary low-pass filter for the noise).

https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/cello- ... o2/s-99uU3
Last edited by Robrecht on Sun May 12, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat May 11, 2019 12:22 am

synonymist wrote:
mgallagher641 wrote:
synonymist wrote:
Hello. Amending the good advice that others already gave, here is my experience of using Rings during the past year or so:

Rings is a deep module. It is a powerful instrument with many sonic and behavioral personalities...
+1 to all of this, strikingly similar experience here. Initially I loved it because it sounds so beautiful, but then after a time I got a bit bored - although the different modes sound different to each other, each one can sound quite samey. But recently I have rediscovered how good it can be, and realised it is very deep indeed...

Finally, try the hidden modes if you've not done this already...
Awesome. And thank you for the reminder: I think that I have yet to try Rings's hidden modes!
More of Rings as overdriven electric guitars (using the hidden chords mode, I think). Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/adept
Last edited by synonymist on Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am

See? You got me on a Rings kick. :)

Here are two very different interpretations of one patch.

In the first track, Rings enters at 3:40. I can't recall what mode I used. It's a good sound in context.

The second track features Rings in a more typical usage, employing what I assume is the 'Karplus-Strong with reverb' hidden mode throughout the piece, for breathy "space flutes" with a slight formant quality. There is also external, brighter reverb for another voice.

Session notes are at the tracks' webpages:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/lemonade-1

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/lemonade-2

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Rings again. Characteristically, while other sound sources are the heart of this patch (T-šL, Filter 8, and Furthrrrr Generator), Rings (µRings SE) enables the overall sound to range where otherwise it could not have. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/1-mycenaesque-excerpt

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/2-mycenaesque-pulley

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am

synonymist wrote:Rings again. Characteristically, while other sound sources are the heart of this patch..., Rings (µRings SE) enables the overall sound to range where otherwise it could not have.
And again:

Flexible metal sheets solo

Melody and chords solo

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 am

Last night I used Rings (µRings SE) to "absorb" an arrangement. I couldn't recall if I ever did this before. I wonder if others are doing it.

Lately I am liking Rings so much that I may try to find room for my MI Rings in a satellite case. There is a real risk of having too much of a good thing by using multiple Rings simultaneously, I think. But I would like to try it.

Here is the new music. Rings appears at about 4:15, but at least some of the first part should be heard for context (to hear what it is that Rings is "absorbing"). Session notes are at the track's webpage:

https://soundcloud.com/synonymist/two-deep

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 am

Haven't seen this mentioned, but it's probably the most obvious - I often run Plaits resonator/string model aux into rings in with modulating v/oct. Alot of fun can be had with plaits into rings patches.

Bob Charlotte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bob Charlotte » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Robrecht wrote:
Edit: I experimented a little further and found that downclocking the noise, like Timbre knob on Plaits does, plays a part in creating the cello sound by making the exciter noise scratchier, like a well-rosined bow pulling on the strings. I was able to get a very similar sound using Kinks' S&H output triggered with a very fast (high audio range) pulse wave.

That allowed me to create a more compact cello patch using just Rings, Kinks, a VCA and Stages (three stages as an ASR envelope, two to generate a high-pitch pulse signal and one as a rudimentary low-pass filter for the noise).

https://soundcloud.com/robrechtv/cello- ... o2/s-99uU3
Sounds from minute 3 are awesome :woah:

Gonna try this asap. Thanks for all the tips about that patch.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Modulating Rings... a lot. Session notes are at each track's webpage:

joncharliefeathers
Common Wiggler

Post by joncharliefeathers » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am

Hello @synonymist! You still on a rings tip. See you sorted soundcloud.

Will have a listen to the tracks. My own exploration of rings is still in its infancy. Mostly it’s acting as a reverb in a small system. Every now and again though I do apply some of what has been posted here and explore. It’s definitely a muti talented device.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Mon May 11, 2020 7:19 am

joncharliefeathers wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am
Hello @synonymist! You still on a rings tip. See you sorted soundcloud.

Will have a listen to the tracks. My own exploration of rings is still in its infancy. Mostly it’s acting as a reverb in a small system. Every now and again though I do apply some of what has been posted here and explore. It’s definitely a muti talented device.
Hello joncharliefeathers. Well, a micro Rings has stayed in my main case for a while now; so it's always front and center. :)

As for SoundCloud embedding here, no, I didn't change a thing. When the forum upgraded to more modern software, SoundCloud embedding newly worked for everyone, including me.

Keep exploring! It is as easy to get hackneyed results from Rings as anything, yes. But it has, as you said, many talents; and some of its powers are "special", particularly in the context of an arrangement with other voices.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue May 12, 2020 6:17 am

Some great ideas here!!! Thanks everyone!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”