MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bananafy an Arturia Keystep?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Bananafy an Arturia Keystep?
pascaline
Hello, I am awaiting a 4U Serge panel, and while I did not buy it for exclusive use as a monosynth, can you blame me for wanting to try?

I have purchased some of those Kilpatrick 3.5mm to banana cables, but the packaging warns very explicitly that proper grounding must be accounted for before interfacing. Supposedly these were sold with the phenol, which I am not very familiar with, but I assume it has an external ground jack on it somewhere.

As you might know, the Keystep has gate, mod wheel, and 1 v/octave outs, but lacks an external grounding jack. I wanted to to try to add one, because I think that's what I have to do to accomplish my dreams.

I cracked open my Keystep to see what I could find and here is what we have.

So it looks like there are three things titled GND (for ground I am guessing).

On the top there is a little GND spring coming from the board that makes contact with the metal case of the keystep, but on the back there are two unused through holes labelled GND1 and GND2.

I am a bit of a beginner with this stuff, and I don't really have any understanding of electricity, so I am asking for a bit of advice.

My idea is that I will solder a wire to the spring, and then solder the other end to a banana jack that I add to the case. After that, I would connect a patch cable between the new ground jack coming from the keystep to the power supply of my serge. It's the konstant lab CIHLA version. And finally I could use the 3.5mm to banana jacks between the keystep and the serge, right?

MY BIG QUESTIONS FOR PEOPLE WHO KNOW THINGS

1. Am I on the right path?
2. If I am not on the right path will you give me a hint?
3. What are those GND1 and GND2 things for?

I have looked at this similar mod for a Korg sequencer, and it seemed straightforward enough, but I really don't know what I'm doing so I wanted to ask around before I blow something up. I didn't exactly understand what he was doing with the normalization and tricking the sequencer into thinking something is plugged in on this mod, so if someone could explain if it might be relevant to my project I would appreciate it.
http://www.auxren.com/2017/12/how-to-bananafy-korg-sq-1.html

Thank you.
Avjr
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Serge.

You don't really need to do that, all you need is a Y cable with two banana ends, one for your connection and the other for ground. Patch point sells them or you can make one if you have the skills.
revtor
Generally a big fat trace running around the perimeter of the board is ground. When you see those two pads marked ground, you found it. Notice how ground one and ground two are actually connected to each other through that big trace, you could use either of those. Also ground should come along with the 3.5mm jacks/plugs. Find the common trace for those jacks, that should be suitable.

Or, as mentioned above, find or make a cable that splits the 3.5mm plug into two nanas. One is ground one is signal. You’d only need to use one of those cables to do the grounding.
Rex Coil 7
Avjr wrote:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Serge.

You don't really need to do that, all you need is a Y cable with two banana ends, one for your connection and the other for ground. Patch point sells them or you can make one if you have the skills.
Exactly .... don't go hacking on the Keystep, it's completely unnecessary.

eek! eek!
Ginko
I don't know exactly where it is right now to take a picture but somewhere I have my spaghetti junction box - it's an off the shelf ABS box that I drilled holes in and added bananas in series with big and little jacks - it also has 10k pots for passive attenuating smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1