MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

OP-1 color change
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author OP-1 color change
anselmi
The inner part of my OP-1´s faceplate turned yellow-ish. In this pictures you can see the difference of colors between the buttons/keys and the outside frame of the case (and it´s even more than in the pictures)

I have it since 2012 and I used it mainly in my smoke-free studio. Also in my house there´s no smokers, so I think maybe it´s its natural evolution (at least my batch).

Any similar experiences?

Any advice about cleaners that couls solve or improve it? I tried isopropyl alcohol but get nothing but the last layer of dust out of it.

mritenburg
Disassemble it. Put all the yellowed plastic parts in a large ziplock bag. Fill the bag with hydrogen peroxide. Shake well and then leave out in direct for a full day. That should safely bleach the plastic back to white. Though you should be careful with the plastic parts that have labeling/paint. You might have to do those by hand.
JAO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright
ranix
if I understand correctly, retrobrite either removes the contaminants causing the discoloration or reverses the chemical process that caused it. It won't actually fix the cause of discoloration and the discoloration will return.

I've been told that giving the parts a bath in 303 protectant after retrobriting will stop the discoloration from returning, but I haven't been using it long enough to verify those claims.
rowsbywoof
What you're seeing here is the breakdown of the fire-retardant chemical bromine that is applied to plastics. Over time, the chemical breaks down and you get that lovely retro-PC color. It's a chemical reaction, and the odd thing is it can happen in direct sunlight, in a box in the dark, in a climate controlled storage unit, sitting on your desk... It really doesn't matter. When the chemical starts breaking down it goes tawny on us.

I have a few old video game consoles that went beige on me, and a few other items of value. I've considered Retr0bright, but in the end chickened out mostly because I figured I'd just make things worse. For the record, Retr0bright is nothing more than hydrogen peroxide, a small amount of "active oxygen" laundry booster (like Oxyclean) as a catalyst, and a UV lamp (a lot of people use the Sun). You create a paste out of H2O2 and Oxyclean, then let the item sit outside in direct sunlight. Over time it will leech out the bromine.

It's not a fast process, nor a clean one. You'll have to completely take the OP-1 apart to safely apply the solution, but it will work with time. I've seen it do wonders for old computer equipment.

Truth is... Seriously... I kind of dig your OP-1 looking like an old Commodore wink You might even convince some it's a limited edition... HAHA. Other thing is, that's probably going to happen to all of our OP-1s over time, as it's obvious they're using bromine as a fire retardant in the cases. So, eventually there may be replacement bodies offered either by TE or third parties to fix things up...

If you are interested in trying Retr0bright, there are a ton of guides online that will walk you through the steps.
j_dowe
rowsbywoof wrote:

Truth is... Seriously... I kind of dig your OP-1 looking like an old Commodore wink

cookie?!? ditto
tioJim
j_dowe wrote:
rowsbywoof wrote:

Truth is... Seriously... I kind of dig your OP-1 looking like an old Commodore wink

cookie?!? ditto

Cappucino edition.

Hipster catnip!
paranoidmoonduck
rowsbywoof wrote:
What you're seeing here is the breakdown of the fire-retardant chemical bromine that is applied to plastics.

any idea why it's only happening to the surface, not the outer case?
heckadecimal69
I think the outer bit is metal.
calaveras
does this mean the OP1 is vintage status now?
nangu
All this talk about disassembling it far enough to use Retr0bright makes me wonder whether this type of plastic will take dye.

When I was a kid, we would take all of the nylon parts for our RC cars and boil them in RIT dye. Made them look really cool, and the boiling also made them slightly more flexible. That was a big bonus for stuff like suspension parts that were prone to shattering if you clipped an obstacle with a front wheel..
GuyaGuy
Guitarist: “How can I make my brand new retro guitar look old?”
Synthesis: “How can I make my 7-year old retro-looking synth look new?”

hihi
bkbirge
Needs some shag carpet around the edges to complete the look. I say it's groovy.
anselmi
hahaha! OK, guys! some of you like it this way! I´d trade it for your white one! (plus some cash to me because of the cool vintage look, you know hihi )

thanks for the replies...I didn´t know about this Retr0bright thing, but it seems that it´s very popular there.
anselmi
heckadecimal69 wrote:
I think the outer bit is metal.

yep, it´s a full aluminum piece
nolongerhuman
As someone else mentioned, a soak in hydrogen peroxide works, it took about 2 days in my experience.

In my case it did not have any effect on the lettering of the piece I was soaking (front panel of an Arturia keystep) I've also used it to great effect on yellowed keybeds (Juno 106 keys all seem to age at their own individual rates, it's not a good look)

Either way, good luck. I feel your pain, I loathe the off-white 90's PC tower look.
Rex Coil 7
... looks like the keys on my 1962 Hammond C3 ...

cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1