MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Koma not made in Germany anymore?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Author Koma not made in Germany anymore?
patchnwiggle
Long time Koma fan here, always happy with their stuff. Just read on Bastl instruments website they are producing for other brands including Koma. Really surprised as I always thought Koma is a German brand making their own stuff in Berlin. At least I thought I was buying german products... anyone knows if it's a recent shift for cutting on production costs? will quality be affected for this?
https://bastl-instruments.com/lifestyle/we-are
Niamac
I think it may only be certain products that they have collaborated on. Don’t quote me on this but i think they team up from time to time.
I recently had the pleasure of going to common ground when visiting Berlin and I must say I was really impressed with their friendly laid back attitude
patchnwiggle
All right curious to know more about this. I really remember reading - or was it an interview - where they stated that Koma is 100% handmade in Germany. I'll ask a friend who made an internship at Bastl if he can provide more details.
Rex Coil 7
patchnwiggle wrote:
All right curious to know more about this. I really remember reading - or was it an interview - where they stated that Koma is 100% handmade in Germany. I'll ask a friend who made an internship at Bastl if he can provide more details.
Life is full of changes. Deal.

Besides, what would be wrong with Bastl Instruments building/assembling for Koma as contracted builders? I own some Bastl stuff, it's high end gear, no doubt.

Contract/licensed buiders are used all over the world in many (many!) industries ... "Cort" in South Korea builds many guitars and basses for Ibanez, Fender, Epiphone, and Gibson. Harley Davidson uses suspension components (shocks/forks) and electrical systems made in Japan and Taiwan. And yet the Earth continues to go around.

Hang in there ... It will be ok, really it will!

cool
patchnwiggle
I wrote that I'm surprised and trying to understand if it's been like that forever or recently. I don't consider Bastl stuff as High End from my own experience and other users feedbacks. Really not.
Sure OEM manufacturing is popular among mass produced products, it's less common among smaller companies. On that case I don't know what to think about it yet. Looking for additional information. I think it's fine if things are understandable for the customers.
patchnwiggle
After asking several people including people working for Bastl Instruments ... I'm puzzled, it seems that they've been building machines for Koma for more than two years. Including the Komplex Sequencer, pedals and modules. How come all the products are sold as being "made in Germany"? when it's not true?
I'm really disappointed by this discovery confused
Going to write Koma and ask, will report here.
patchnwiggle
I had a guy from Koma answering me that they just did a few Field kits during a rush and that the statement on Bastl Inst. website will be removed. In the meantime I got different information from Bastl inst saying they built most of the Koma machines including Komplex sequencers seriously, i just don't get it don't know who to believe.
Despite my love for Koma I really feel weird about all this.
The Grump
I hope that beautiful creature, Isabella, who was doing their assembly still has a job. That's no slight meant against Bastl, who do indeed do great work.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> KOMA Elektronik  
Page 1 of 1