MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Classic software lost to the ether of new computing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Classic software lost to the ether of new computing
joey
Hey everyone!

Picked up a Nord G1 recently and have been enjoying the editor on my current computer. It's not without it's flaws though as the editor crashes sometimes.

Lately, the thought has come up to buy an old PC or Mac and run the editor there as well as some other stuff.

so,

What cool software runs on old machines that simply isn't available anymore?

things that come to mind -

Sound Diver
Turbosynth

i heard of something called th0nk too

what do you guys miss? really curious, and also curious where I would find some of this software once I get an old machine
Rex Coil 7
... The Nord Modular editor runs on Windows up to and including Win version 10.

thumbs up
joey
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
... The Nord Modular editor runs on Windows up to and including Win version 10.

thumbs up

cool but this isn't about the G1, this is about other software. the g1 is what sparked this idea. would be nice if you actually read my post, you smug bastard hyper
CF3
Most definitely SoundDiver.

In fact, I’ve got an old G5 tower running it in the studio right now. Took me FOREVER to find a XSKey dongle so I could run it the right way without an authorizer emulator.

It’s a must have piece of software if you have certain older synths like a Waldorf Microwave XT(k) or a Fizmo. Amazing user wavetable tools.

There are plenty of cool standalone editors out there now. Even really nice ones for the ipad, but nothing still comes close to SoundDiver as far as a complete package.

I’ve had hit-or-miss results running older stuff with Wine/Winebottler also.

My next mission is to get an Apple G3 Wallstreet laptop so I can run a copy Passport Alchemy 3 (of which I have a floppy disk copy) on OS9. Amazing software if you have vintage samplers, and the last Apple laptop with both a RS422 port and SCSI. nanners

BTW...

Check here for mac software if needed:

https://www.macintoshrepository.org

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php
seychmar
My absolute favourites which I still use from time to time:

Digidesign Turbosynth
Digidesign Softsynth
Passport Alchemy
Steinberg Avalon (Atari st)
Copson Data Zero-X (Atari ST)

And the absolute gem: Dr T KCS with Programmable Variations Generator and Tunesmith (Atari ST) - no modern equivalent anywhere near what these can do with MIDI.

Software I am still looking for (used in the past but now impossible to find anywhere):

Antares Infinity
Copson Data Seamless Looper
Chopper
seychmar wrote:

...Antares Infinity..

waah we're not worthy
alexander92
I use zero-x seamless looper, great program @seychmar sent you a pm
jbuonacc
seychmar wrote:
Steinberg Avalon (Atari st)

never did get much accomplished with it, but that really was pretty amazing software, especially for the time.
sizone
sounddiver actually runs just fine on my windows 7 machine.
morgulbee
My favorites from the really old days:

Dr. T's KCS
M
francoprussian
cool edit pro

still pisses all over most modern audio editors

and it had that hidden pong game
chvad
francoprussian wrote:
cool edit pro

still pisses all over most modern audio editors

and it had that hidden pong game

i mean... that's just Audition now.
shabbyroad
Opcode Studio Vision Pro

Really miss that. I finally accepted about 5 years ago that it was time to throw out the discs and manuals.
filtermod
shabbyroad wrote:
Opcode Studio Vision Pro

Really miss that. I finally accepted about 5 years ago that it was time to throw out the discs and manuals.

Same here, except I just got rid of them a week ago when I started overhauling my home studio. Lol. Damn Gibson bought & killed Opcode like they did to Oberheim. angry
I also miss Sound Diver (try editing a k5000 without it zombie)
Turbosynth
Thonk was great for somewhat unpredictable time/pitch granular type stuff
Zvocoder was another fun one.
There were some awesome spectral audiosuite file based plug ins for OS9, but I can't remember what they were called.
Moon Indigo
Cakewalk for DOS version 2.0.
subbasshead
Studio Vision Pro was so great!!
ProDeck, ProEdit and ProTools v1.0 not so much...

anyone remember Arboretum Hyperprism?
You could perform/control parameters in two dimensions, a bit like how GRM Tools does now.... it never made it to OSX...

mmm Turbosynth
Monotremata
Virtual machines have finally taken care of that for me. Minus all the one off plugins that have disappeared along the way (I still open old Logic projects from time to time that ask me for Absynth 2-4 hah), Im also one of the Sound Diver and Nord G1 folks.

The Winebottled Nord Editor doesn't work for me. I can do everything possible, except download my banks from the Modular to the Mac. The widely available one, as well as the one I bottled myself, both freeze up about 1/2 way through the first bank. Under WinXP in Virtual Box, the Mac passes through my old Emagic AMT8 and it works perfectly. Same with Sound Diver. I just have to use an iso copy of Sound Diver I had to download to authorize it when it needs too. The retail cd for whatever reason won't mount the Windows part of the disc (its the old 'hybrid' cd-rom), so when you let the virtual machine mount it, it ONLY has the Mac side available and it won't authorize for some reason. I managed to find an actual 1:1 iso copy and just tell VirtualBox to use the iso file in its virtual cd drive and bam, SD is working again!

I still have a G3, 2 G4s, a G5, and even the first Mac Pro (and an old P3) along with this one, but the thought of having to set one of those up (and try to remember how to configure OMS) is not a happy one. Have to stick with WinXP too, eMagic's last drivers for the AMT/Unitor are technically Win2000/NT/98 drivers, and won't work in anything past Win7 (and only the 32bit version).
Riggar
Referring to the OP - as an option to getting a complete other computer (at least initially). You can get a sata power switcher. I have 3 disks (win10, Win7 and XP) hooked up to the switcher, select which to power on and go. You might have some issues (sound?) but might be worth a shot for reasonable cost.
francoprussian
chvad wrote:

i mean... that's just Audition now.

wrong.
astrodislocate
Too young to have ever used it myself, but I hear a lot of great things about the original Sound Hack software
filtermod
astrodislocate wrote:
Too young to have ever used it myself, but I hear a lot of great things about the original Sound Hack software

Soudhack was great.
Chopper
I still use the old cubase on an Atari emulator sometimes. Best thing ever for MIDI.
Also, and not strictly software, i miss Samplecell....
Monotremata
Almost forgot, another Emagic casualty, Waveburner!!!!!
That thing was the best for mastering and putting together a final cd master.
Now that Peak is dead what the hell else is there?
bhinton
Did Metro die or does it still exist?
Yes, Hyperprism! And the same company did an attempt at a "trackless" DAW if I recall correctly...
dubonaire
Propellerhead ReBirth RB-338

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2