MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Keyboard Workstations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Keyboard Workstations
dannyrichardson
Anyone still using workstations over controllers?

I'm looking at getting one to test the waters.

Here's a resource I found:

https://keyboardkraze.com/keyboard-workstations/
3hands
My ensoniq ESQ1 does a lot of grunt work in my studio. I’ve had the Roland W30 in the past and may pull the trigger on a Kurtzweil K2000 soon.
rjungemann
I have the FA-06 and I like it a lot. It's really underused at the moment—I use it mostly for piano/EP sounds and as a controller. But it's got a good amount of power. 16-part multitimbral, a synthesis engine that makes it not horribly painful to make new patches, and there's a library of patches on Roland's site for adding new sounds.

When it comes to Roland vs. Yamaha vs. Korg, I'd try all 3 and see which sound sets sound best to you, and which feature sets you get along with best. The new Yamaha MODX line looks great and affordable as well, and has the DX-style FM (PM, really) synthesis engine in addition to the expected AWM synthesis engine.
Koekepan
I have a KORG Krome and Kross (original Kross).

Lots of usable sounds.

Lots of polyphony.

Lots of polytimbrality.

Good MIDI masters for the rest of the studio.

Linear sequencers, meaning you can compose your electronic symphony on them and then have them execute it.

Not the greatest keybeds, but you can always add your favourite studiologic whatever by MIDI.

Not the greatest performance sequencers, but you can always add one by MIDI.

If you want to compose deep things to be MIDI-fied, I'd start with the Krome because its touchscreen lets you draw in automation.

The Kross will do audio rendering and so on as well, and vocoding, but it has a weaker engine onboard.

If you want real performance chops, an arranger like the Casio MZX500 might be more your thing.

If you're more beatmakery, consider the MPC X.

Workstations: they get a much worse rap than they deserve.

Edited to add: mine get real use. I have a live gig this month for which my sound generation, besides mic, will be the Krome.

Just the Krome. Additional performance sequencing by Social Entropy Engine, speakers by JBL, but the Krome and a keyboard stand is small enough to fit into a small corner of a small venue. Never underestimate the importance of that.
tioJim
I suspect the days of the workstation as we know it are numbered. It'll be interesting to see if the next Korg and Roland iterations take the same route as Yamaha's Montage/MODX. Whilst Yamaha explicitly state neither are workstations (least not in the way the Motifs were) they don't have a current model that is workstation-like. Just let me repeat that as so many people don't get it (including the article you referenced) the Montage and MODX are NOT workstations. They don't contain a sequencer (only a very simple phrase recorder) and they don't sample (though you can import .wavs).

As far as Yamaha are concerned they are 'synthesisers' not workstations. That said they encourage you to use, and they feature all sorts of integration with, Cubase (not surprising given Yamaha own Steinberg). I was initially put off by this which was disappointing as I loved the idea of an FM-X engine, the Motif library legacy and advanced controller features all in one box.

My solution? I bought a refurb 11" MacBook Air for £299. It fits perfectly in the empty space on the top right of my MODX8. Sure it's pretty long in the tooth but it still beats the hell out of any sequencer (I'm using Logic) they could put inside the box both in terms of grunt and usability. And don't forget, the MODX will do MIDI and audio over USB so you don't even need either an audio or MIDI interface. Just a single USB cable. Neat!
rowsbywoof
tioJim wrote:
My solution? I bought a refurb 11" MacBook Air for £299. It fits perfectly in the empty space on the top right of my MODX8. Sure it's pretty long in the tooth but it still beats the hell out of any sequencer (I'm using Logic) they could put inside the box both in terms of grunt and usability. And don't forget, the MODX will do MIDI and audio over USB so you don't even need either an audio or MIDI interface. Just a single USB cable. Neat!

I think that's kind of the ideal solution for me, in the end. I like the idea of a full featured keyboard that maybe isn't exactly a Workstation, but has solid integration with DAWs or iOS. Having an iPad would beat the hell out of the puny interfaces the older Workstations made you work with, and allow for a much better workflow, too. Of course, with that comes the constant fear of an iOS updating killing your app. I could see buying an iPad mini and never updating it after things were up and running and just treat it like the keyboard's dedicated remote.

Anyway.
Rex Coil 7
Kurzweil PC3A6. Even if it didn't have a world class synth engine, just as a MIDI controller it's a top drawer choice. Outfitted with the FATAR TP/9S keybed as well.

calaveras
It seems the modern workstation is the OP1.
Randy
Workstation probably means different things to different people. I'm not much of a fan of using a computer or IOS device other than for non-mission critical things or fooling around, and I'm kinda opinionated so take what I say with the appropriate amount of salt. I have two bits of stuff I use as workstations. One is a Kurzweil K2600XS. It has a nice keyboard, good-enough sounds for me, two ribbons and two wheels. The other is a Roland A90EX. The sounds are not great but it has 4 MIDI ports and makes a nice master controller for all sorts of other stuff.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1