MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Source for keyboard parts
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Source for keyboard parts
TQuin
Good people,

I'm struggling here a bit.

I've just signed up for muffwiggler in the hope of finding some help on a project (more below).

However two concerns:
1. After I signed up, my password was emailed to me in plain text. This is NOT acceptable
2. I apparently can't start a new thread until I've made a couple of submissions. This is frustrating, and is why I'm posting here, which is (with apologies) the wrong thread for my question.

Anyway, enough of the moaning already.

My question:

I wish to make up a keyboard with the keys arranged to suit my particular purpose. That is, the keys wouldn't follow a conventional piano keyboard layout and the keys themselves would look different to piano keys.

To do this I was hoping to source individual key mechanisms, that had a good touch and of course were velocity sensitive. I'd then lay these out as I wanted, using keys I'd make myself.

Any thoughts on who might supply suitable keyboard components would be very much appreciated.

With thanks.
Mr. Aloud
Haha, no worries, I was in the same place.

Before you hunt individual components, did you think about cannibalizing existing gear? What about pads as in launchpad or maschine?

Oh and should those components deliver MIDI or CV?

I guess the usual suspects of DIY MIDI controllers will have some answers.
Rex Coil 7
TQuin wrote:
.... After I signed up, my password was emailed to me in plain text. This is NOT acceptable
Just change it. You should do that as a matter of practise with anything that requires a password and you are sent a simple password so you may gain access to the site. After which, just change the default password.

TQuin wrote:
I apparently can't start a new thread until I've made a couple of submissions. This is frustrating, and is why I'm posting here, which is (with apologies) the wrong thread for my question.
This is done to prevent spam bots or other internet trash from accessing the forum and bombing it with spam.

Take it easy, these are not actions taken against you personally. All 45 thousand members here had to go through the same process. You really will live through it ... I promise.

thumbs up thumbs up
JimY
Velocity sensitive key switches are not a thing you can get. They have to be made with a pair of simple contacts - A top contact that operates the moment you start to depress the key and the bottom contact closes when the key nearly at the bottom. Velocity is measured by the time taken between the top and bottom switch operation.

So, I think you need to consider the engineering challenge of making all of that, although the concept is simple. Most commercial products use rubber bubble contacts made to suit the playing area.
MikeDB
This is the sort of thing that was freely available in the 1970s and 80s when the Practical Electronics and Wireless World designs came out, but nowadays whilst you can get almost all electronics components easily, getting the parts to put together your own keyboard seems almost impossible.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1