Live 10 Suite beta testing cv control tools

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

b9
Common Wiggler

Live 10 Suite beta testing cv control tools

Post by b9 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:38 am

I don't know if anyone has checked this out but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on muffs.

http://www.ableton.com/en/blog/cv-tools ... dp4nK1ednM

flipper16
Wiggling with Experience

Post by flipper16 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:42 am

I was just about to post the same link... :tu:

Looks like a native version of CV Toolkit. Super excited... :hyper:

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Tue May 07, 2019 7:10 am

CV tools was top of my wishlist for Live10, so thats great they have implemented it.

just waiting for MPEsupport and I'll be happy with my upgrading.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 am

This is making me want to pick up a ES-3 again. I just downloaded the beta to see if I can get the clock signals to work with any of my current interfaces (they aren't DC coupled but clock pulses could still work).

RecycleYourPets
Common Wiggler

Post by RecycleYourPets » Tue May 07, 2019 11:13 am

hinterlands303 wrote:This is making me want to pick up a ES-3 again. I just downloaded the beta to see if I can get the clock signals to work with any of my current interfaces (they aren't DC coupled but clock pulses could still work).
Curious to see how that goes!

I would hate to ditch my shuttle control (which i love) but moving to an es-8 with all the add ones might need to happen.
Schenk.work - instagram.com/schenk.work

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm

I just tested it - clock pulses and triggers work fine with my focusrite Clarett 8Pre interface which makes sense because it's just audio (similar to using a sampled clock pulse but more streamlined). The only thing that didn't work well as the 24ppqnin too Pamela's Workout. Pam's didn't like that for some reason but it was fine with 8ppqn (32nd notes) and 4ppqn (16th notes). Not sure if this is the shape of the 24ppqn clock pulse or if it's something with Pam's. My Doepfer a-160-2 had no problem with any of the clocks but it's just a simple divider so that also makes sense to me.

I think I am going to pick up an ES-3 and give it a go. Since clocks and triggers are working pretty well with my interface I can use the ES-3 primarily for CV and use the other outputs of the Clarett for clocking.

sbx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sbx » Wed May 08, 2019 7:37 am

@hinterlands303 pam is pretty sensitive to the trig level when on 24ppqn, try attenuating the signal (or amplifying it) - also since the 24ppqn standard requires 50% duty cycle (altho many machines can handle shorter times) it might be too long for a none DC coupled output

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Wed May 08, 2019 8:09 am

Well Ableton, finally!
This is great news, will download and test for sure :)
Can it do cv to midi? I can see cc but wonder if it would do note and gate too.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 am

sbx wrote:@hinterlands303 pam is pretty sensitive to the trig level when on 24ppqn, try attenuating the signal (or amplifying it) - also since the 24ppqn standard requires 50% duty cycle (altho many machines can handle shorter times) it might be too long for a none DC coupled output
I wrote to Ableton through the Beta testing program and they wrote back saying they were ordering Pam's so that they could test it with the different clocks. Sounds like they want to get it right.

I'm going to pick up a ES-3 next week and will test this again. In the meantime I'll try attenuation/amplification.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:14 pm

whats your guys thoughts on the accuracy of the clock out doing it this way?
especially in comparison to dedicated tools like ACME.
i mean technically, should this be able to work with the same perfection as a audio trigger ?
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
Basimilus Iteritas mkI: 180chf / Plaits OG: 150.- / WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 am

great video from superbooth.
the clock is working on audio level. its answered somewhere in the middle.
good rundown, nice presentation !

[video][/video]

i personally think this whole CV vs. Computer will become a big gamechanger in the whole over the next couple of years
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
Basimilus Iteritas mkI: 180chf / Plaits OG: 150.- / WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Sat May 11, 2019 1:12 pm

This looks really interesting. Been meaning to try out the Expert sleepers stuff for some time, but this might push me into doing it as I am very Ableton centric at this point in time.

In theory I should be able to grab an ES-8 and create an aggregate device (on mac) and be good to go?

Also, did anyone ever confirm if it can do CV to Midi note?

isosceles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by isosceles » Sun May 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Finally, this has been a long term wish list item!

agency
Learning to Wiggle

Post by agency » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 pm

This is awesome. I played a little with ES-8 + SilentWay but it was kind of tedious to setup honestly. Having this integration be first-class will be great

sbx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sbx » Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 am

pre55ure wrote:Also, did anyone ever confirm if it can do CV to Midi note?
right now not, cv in does modulation only (altho one could map the modulation to a midi pitch device but thats not quite it)

maybe in the future tho!

modul8tr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by modul8tr » Tue May 14, 2019 4:42 am

agency wrote:This is awesome. I played a little with ES-8 + SilentWay but it was kind of tedious to setup honestly. Having this integration be first-class will be great

Set it up last night within minutes with Es-8 / Es-3 / Apollo and all CV TOOLS worked great! Such a joy coming from many of the prior options. Outside of the Kodiak blocks and Reaktor user library stuff this will likely replace much of my Reaktor Blocks usage even. Having Live’s envelopes and lfos available on Push added some physical knobiness to the affair. Would be nice to see lfos pulsing along in the Push 2 display as well as some sort of live waveform display in the future.

Only had a weird issue once where the clock started sending some crazy randomness to Pressure Points/Brains. Just deleted the module opened it again and everything was back to normal.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 am

This is great news. Beta testers, please ask the developer to add half and full wave rectifiers to the lfo. :hihi:

jimfowler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jimfowler » Tue May 14, 2019 2:35 pm

This should be really great. I too found Silent Way a little tedious.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 am

Time to ask Sequentix to add audio clock sync to the Cirklon.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 am

Panason wrote:Time to ask Sequentix to add audio clock sync to the Cirklon.
The only "IN" on the Cirklon would be the Gate/IN on the CVIO BOB. Not sure if it's feasible? :hmm: Although, all the architecture seems to be in place. The CV IN does actually work now (albeit on a very basic level).

If you're registered on the Sequentix forum you should definitely post it in the feature request section and get the discussion started. I know just regular CV Clock sync has been requested many times. Colin is also in the process of updating the CVIO board/pcb, so now would be the perfect time.

So glad Ableton finally did this. I too have been a Silent Way user for many years and find it tedious to use (although very comprehensive). The integration here looks really good.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:11 pm

droningspaghettimonster wrote:This is great news. Beta testers, please ask the developer to add half and full wave rectifiers to the lfo. :hihi:
I believe you can use the built in offset and depth controls to do this but yeah it would be nice to do it with a single click without dialing in.

ntp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ntp » Thu May 16, 2019 12:35 am

is this feature only available for suite or will it work with standard ableton?

letitbleep
Common Wiggler

Post by letitbleep » Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 am

hinterlands303 wrote:
droningspaghettimonster wrote:This is great news. Beta testers, please ask the developer to add half and full wave rectifiers to the lfo. :hihi:
I believe you can use the built in offset and depth controls to do this but yeah it would be nice to do it with a single click without dialing in.
the built it offset and depth require... 2... clicks. and offer more flexibility than basic rectification. get a grip, people!

letitbleep
Common Wiggler

Post by letitbleep » Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 am

ntp wrote:is this feature only available for suite or will it work with standard ableton?
will work with standard but requires max for live

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm

I was/am a big fan of CV Toolkit (Solent Way UI never appealed to me). But having spent a couple hours w/ the new CV Tools Pack this afternoon, it’s so superior to CV Toolkit in all aspects - both the direct experience of using it, and the fact that I no longer need to switch between apps.

I use ES-3 via ADAT of my usb soundcard, and CV Tools worked perfectly straightaway.

This is such a game changer for me workflow wise that I’m considering a Push 2 if they can incorporate support for this Pack.

Return to “Music Software”