MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Novation Summit - keyboard version of Peak
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Novation Summit - keyboard version of Peak
Dave Peck
Cool patches, Patricia! Some of them seem to have some type of audio-rate filter cutoff modulation - how are you doing that? Does it have LFOs that can run up in the audio range and track the keyboard?
goldplate
You can have two filters in parallel... two resonance peaks, this is a bit like audio rate modulating a filter with resonance, but in better.
dubonaire
Based on my experience with the Peak this synth will be amazing.

patriciawolf's patches for the Peak are excellent.
h4ndcrafted
patriciawolf wrote:
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Ty , great patches. Winters come early.

Thank you for listening! Are you a PEAK owner?

Not yet.
shaft9000
If this is going to be anything like a 'VCO-based supernova 2' I'm verrrry interested. Any word on a timbrality count, yet?
The original SN2's multi-timbral setup and UI is still one of the best ever of any poly. You could have multiple arps/sequences running while freely selecting each timbre to edit and having full UI (including all FX parameters smile for each. Nothing else I've used came so close to a proper 'polysynth workstation' sort of hybrid; much more involving than any of the S+S workstations. Drums are SYNTHESIZED on their own timbral voice allocation (remember, with discrete FX-per!), and so the arrangement flexibility gets very interesting. I guess the virus Ti had some virtues in a similar area, but that one never quite grabbed me.

EDIT - ahh, ok. Saw the pdf link to the magazine article.
16 NCOs "...with 2-part split, dual and layer..." a la JP-8 and everything else that wants to be like JP-8/OBX-a.
Ho-hum; how interesting and unusual (not). I'd much prefer to allocate voices into groups of 2, 4, or 8 rather than just be corralled to only eight at a time. Dang, what a missed opportunity to make something truly special.
Oh well. So much for my "SN2 with VCOs and OSCar filters" fantasy.
hinterlands303
Dave Peck wrote:
Cool patches, Patricia! Some of them seem to have some type of audio-rate filter cutoff modulation - how are you doing that? Does it have LFOs that can run up in the audio range and track the keyboard?

On the Peak, oscillator 3 is routable to filter frequency modulation from the front panel. I imagine it's the same with the Summit.

Also, I agree - Patricia's patches are great, definitely my favorite ones for the Peak.
robinkle
I need to hear some funky sounds.

It’s been so much organy, shimering, glassy sounds.
dubonaire
robinkle wrote:
I need to hear some funky sounds.

It’s been so much organy, shimering, glassy sounds.

The Peak does great bass and leads, so google Peak demos and you will find them.
Dave Peck
hinterlands303 wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:

On the Peak, oscillator 3 is routable to filter frequency modulation from the front panel. I imagine it's the same with the Summit.

Also, I agree - Patricia's patches are great, definitely my favorite ones for the Peak.

It's good that a polysynth can do this at all, and it's very cool that it can do this without any menu-diving.
Panason
I don't get the people asking for multitimbral analog polysynths. That would bring the cost up to the 5 digit figures I imagine.

Probably cheaper (and easier to work with) to just buy more synths if you need more sounds playing simutlaneously... or, you know, multitrack?
tobb
Soaked in FX..

Do they want to sell an FX processor or a synth?
chvad
Panason wrote:
I don't get the people asking for multitimbral analog polysynths. That would bring the cost up to the 5 digit figures I imagine.

Probably cheaper (and easier to work with) to just buy more synths if you need more sounds playing simutlaneously... or, you know, multitrack?

tobb wrote:
Soaked in FX..

Do they want to sell an FX processor or a synth?

When playing live... having multiple synths isn't always a good option. I've always preferred to have it all in one box. To that... I like the effect heavy demos. I need those live as well. They're part of the unit, Novation has a long history of quality effect on their synths... might as well show case those as well no? PLENTY of raw demos of the Peak by this time. It's not like you can't hear just the synth engine.

I like the hybrid/multitimbral approach of this. It'll dethrone my Lead 4 as my live synth for sure.
tenembre
Panason wrote:

No, it really wouldn't. Engineering-wise it's a matter of sending different information to the associated voice DACs for each multitimberal part, instead of sending the same information to all the voices.* It would require some development time and some interface changes, but not much extra hardware. (and perhaps extra DSP, if you want Supernova-style separate effects for each part). Some manufacturers have done it recently in analog. The Ambika, the DSI Tetra, and the Analog Four all did, and none of those are particularly expensive.

Manufacturers aren't doing it, not because of cost, but for lack of demand. Audio tracks are much cheaper than they used to be. In olden days the midi driven tracks would be added at mixdown, so the ability to get several parts out of a given synth was much more important.

Thing is, it's still really useful for live use, or layering, or percussion parts, or for hocketing. Or for weirdos like me who like to record everything in one go instead of piecing stuff together in a DAW. People need to start asking for it, if they want it to happen.

* [edit] I'm talking here about polys with presets of course (i.e. digital control), but that's the majority of them).
chvad
analog 4 parts all shared the same effects with individual sends. had each part had it's own fx settings id probably have kept it.
gentle_attack
chvad wrote:
analog 4 parts all shared the same effects with individual sends. had each part had it's own fx settings id probably have kept it.

but but but Overbridge Dead Banana
tobb
chvad wrote:
[To that... I like the effect heavy demos. I need those live as well. They're part of the unit, Novation has a long history of quality effect on their synths... might as well show case those as well no? PLENTY of raw demos of the Peak by this time. It's not like you can't hear just the synth engine.

I can imagine sounds with fx on it,decomposing demo's with FX on it is much more difficult,in particular when the sounds are literally soaked in FX,completely useless.

I don't know where those 'plenty of raw Peak demo's' are,quasi all i watched have lot of FX on the sounds.

Would be nice to have several only raw demo's w/o fx from this new synth.

Always was very interested in the Peak ,still today i don't have one due to the FX demo's,so now with this dual engine model very interested to know if it has balls.
flashheart
Dave Peck wrote:
Yes, I'm wondering about that dual filter thing too - does it 'borrow' the filters from voices 9-16 and turn it into an 8-voice synth when using dual filters? On a 16 voice synth, that could be a smart and flexible way to do it.

And yeah, all the questions about filter routing when using dual filters - serial? parallel? variable mix? Can you send different oscs to different filters?

Re the filters, it's 2 x pole filters with a spread parameter - like the the original OSCAR. there's various combinations of LP->BP, LP->HP, HP-> BP etc. along with serial or parallel routing. this is all per voice.
tehyar
I told myself that if this came in at $1999 it's gonna be really hard to pass up. Told myself the same thing about the Matriarch. They both came in at $1999. Kill me now. w00t Dead Banana (death by gas)
cornutt
tenembre wrote:
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen peepers!

Das machine control is nicht fur gerfinger-poken und
mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowen fuse, und poppencorken mit spitzensparken.
Der machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur
geverken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseenen
keepen das cotten picken hands in das pockets,
so relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

Wow, haven't seen this in a while! hihi It's been floating around computer rooms since the 1970s at least. (Back when computers actually had lots of blinkenlights.)
mmp
A Summit with a polyaftertouch keyboard would probably be my favorite synth of all time. My Peak just comes alive when setup for polyaftertouch and driven by a Roland A-80. I may end up with a second Peak just to create a similar capability, but it would be so much more elegant in one case, and more easily transported.
goldplate
Peak mkII with all the Summit features except the keyboard plz
mmp
That would work for me, too!

goldplate wrote:
nostalghia
guigui
mmp wrote:
That would work for me, too!

goldplate wrote:

Put me on the list.
BogartDestructo
Any one else twitching the curtain in anticipation of one of these? There’s some amazing sounding patches kicking about (rbeny on fire!) and it looks a blast to get hands on with.

I have a Prophet 6 desktop and I’d kinda swerved Peak when it came out, then I kept finding myself super vibing off the things folk were getting out of it (rbeny on fire again!) which forced me sit up and take notice. Then Summit hit me out of nowhere and the thought of hooking up my P6 module to one proved too strong for me.

Also I’ve been super impressed by how Novation seem to really be on top with updates and stuff for their gear. How long has the BS2 been out and they are still updating the functionality of it. I really think when this things been out 12 months it will be even more powerful than it is at launch.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3