MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question for Acoustic Drummers TD
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Question for Acoustic Drummers TD
tongebirge
I want a Similar Set for my Music.
What are these Drums, Ride?.. Franke use in the Picture.
Is it a 20" Or 24" Ride in the picture ?
I am about buying something and Need info.
JohnLRice
Hard to tell much from the picture. I'd say the larger cymbal is as you say, 20, 22, or maybe 24 inches? The smaller cymbal probably 14", the upper tom or snare maybe 16" or 14" and the tom on the ground maybe 10"?

That said, cymbal diameter is just a small part of the equation since the cymbals could be rides, crashes, hihats or something else and also the thickness, brand and model range will greatly affect the sound. And same with drums, the diameter and depth is only part of the sound since the bearing edge, type of head used, damping material if any, tuning, material of the shell, type of hardware, etc, etc can all affect the sound. And then there are all the possible stick/mallet/brushes that could be used and playing techniques . . . .

I'd suggest going to one or more good drum shops if you can and try out as much as you can. If you want your setup to look a certain way then play everything that you like the looks of and then narrow it down to the items that sound best to you. But also play some things that you aren't attracted to visually because you might change your mind! hihi
tongebirge
Thx John
So in the Picture there is a Ride, Crash, Tom and Snare ?
I figured out that Toms are Tune able just i like to Know what size the Toms have Franke plays.
chiasticon
tongebirge wrote:
I want a Similar Set for my Music.

really? this doesn't seem like a very useful setup. looks more like someone who's in the middle of unpacking their kit than anything else. but I don't know the artist nor what they've done with it...

anyway, do what John said and go bang on some shit in a drum shop, see what you like. thumbs up

tongebirge wrote:
So in the Picture there is a Ride, Crash, Tom and Snare ?

it looks like two toms, no snare. but yes probably ride and crash. larger cymbal is unlikely to be a crash at that size, but can't tell for sure. smaller cymbal very likely crash but hell, it could be one cymbal from a hi hat for all we know...
tongebirge
I want to buy Second hand and wont go in a Shop.
Only Need to Know what Iam searching for.
tongebirge
Thx Chiasticon thumbs up
So i Must be sure what this set Up is in Parts so that i can buy.
chiasticon
generally a standard acoustic kit will start with a bass drum, snare drum, mounted tom, often a second mounted tom, and a floor tom. cymbal-wise, it'd be hi-hats, a crash or two and a ride cymbal. many will use much more, of course, but that's a good starting point, for reference. all of the drums can be tuned. and a snare can sound much like a tom if you just disengage the snares (which go across the bottom of the drum).

drum-wise, this picture looks to have two mounted toms (because they're not very deep), one of which is on the ground. the ground one looks to be elevated a bit on the right (side facing away from drummer), which would be necessary to hear anything other than a dull thud from it.

hope that helps? seriously, i just don't get it
tongebirge
I like this Minimal Set Up so i want to go that way.
Now it is 2 Toms a Big Ride and the Cymbal maybe a part from a hihat and no Crash ?
Is it true that the bigger the Ride is it Sound is Darker ?
chiasticon
it's likely a crash, not a hi-hat. I was just being silly that we can only ready so much into this photo!

I guess typically a ride is a bit darker as it gets larger, but I've never directly sat and compared two brand new rides in the same model of varying sizes. but even two rides of the same model, in the same size, of the same age can sound different, so...

if you want darker, you should go for a thinner ride. and maybe something hand hammered, if possible.
tongebirge
O.k i Understand.
If i watch the Video about 1.02 Min i can recognize that the Upper Drum Must be a Tom.
So it is 2 toms, 1 Ride and Crash.
Drums! thanks thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1