MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Arturia has exceptionally cheesy videos
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Arturia has exceptionally cheesy videos
onthebandwagon
I went on the site this morning to checkout the micro freak and was more freaked by all their lame demo videos, while inconsequential to the product obviously, it does make me wonder how it reflects the general nature of a manufacturer in a way that isn’t necessarily tangible, but perhaps it is... The adverse of this is Make Noise (for example) whose new product videos I always found tasteful and informative.
tenembre
Could be worse. Could be Hector.

onthebandwagon
tenembre wrote:
Could be worse. Could be Hector.

and one can only wonder why comedy isn’t a cultural export of Sweden
BTByrd
I thought this was exceptionally cheesy in 98, and it's only gotten worse since then. Props to Perfect Circuit for preserving that cheese for posterity.

Rex Coil 7
onthebandwagon wrote:
I went on the site this morning to checkout the micro freak and was more freaked by all their lame demo videos, while inconsequential to the product obviously, it does make me wonder how it reflects the general nature of a manufacturer in a way that isn’t necessarily tangible, but perhaps it is... The adverse of this is Make Noise (for example) whose new product videos I always found tasteful and informative.
... and this is relevant why? I find them humorous. Major multi-billion dollar corporations invest piles of cash on "cheesy" TV ads ... they wouldn't spend such high percentages of their advertising budgets on such tactics if they didn't work year after year.
Hovercraft
BTByrd wrote:
I thought this was exceptionally cheesy in 98, and it's only gotten worse since then. Props to Perfect Circuit for preserving that cheese for posterity.

Director: "I want you move your head like a chicken."
dubonaire
onthebandwagon wrote:

I actually enjoyed the microfreak video.
calaveras
BTByrd wrote:

I love this
Nothing better than a chinless long neck guy doing the head bob.
derp
rew_
cookie?!?

great thread
Monotremata
The video for the original Drum Brute with the lady dancing in front of super dj guy made me say 'Yeah Im gonna pass on that one kthxbai'.
xparis001
I'm not sure if I should be happy or offended that I haven't come up in this thread yeet
xparis001
xparis001 wrote:
I'm not sure if I should be happy or offended that I haven't come up in this thread yeet

and I'm leaving that typo.
euxine
Monotremata wrote:
The video for the original Drum Brute with the lady dancing in front of super dj guy made me say 'Yeah Im gonna pass on that one kthxbai'.

But actually... have to +1 on this.

No, it's not relevant to actual gear (and I do really like Arturia's products mainly), but you have to wonder how a company can misunderstand its own audience. For me the 'creation edition' mini/microbrute was definitely the worst - totally incomprehensible - '

Either that, or I/we are not the audience...?

Putting all the above together maybe the audience is:

- People that also love teenage 'dance competition' films
- People who have never read ad copy or watched an ad before, and believe that any piece of gear will physically and/or spiritually take them to new heights
- People who are also trying very hard to be 'intense' and 'cool' musicians
- People that love renaissance art, preferably *on* their synths

OTOH the ad campaigns for '3 [things] you'll actually use' seemed a little more down to earth. Maybe different teams?
Panason
Arturia's marketing / corporate image department deserve to be sold to a video games company. They are philistines that seek to outdo Native Instruments and Elektron in mega-cringe inducing advertising. Garbage excreted by idiots to attract idiots.
onthebandwagon
Monotremata wrote:

yes that twerked me over the edge actually
Moho
Monotremata wrote:

So you base your audio purchases on what you see seriously, i just don't get it
tehyar
Moho wrote:
Monotremata wrote:

Pretty sure it's more about what you feel, not what you see. i.e. embarrassed, awkward, misplaced.

Great attempt at being condescending, though. thumbs up

Back to that drum brute vid: I couldn't watch the whole thing. That was so incredibly awkward.
Chopper
https://youtu.be/CVfbTqRJliw
This is unbeatable (no pun intended).
DigitalNativeDunce
Might just be a French thing - they've been walking the line between cool and cheesy since JM Jarre's heyday.
dubonaire
I think you are all making the mistake that you are not who they are targeting. The video is not meant to appeal to you. They know that most customers in a demographic like this will buy on the basis of features, sound etc who will go to the technical specs on the product page or download the manual.

Anyway, the video had a side benefit of making you talk about the product on social media.
goiks
is the advertising not commensurate with the product?

(rhetorical, didn't need to watch)
dubonaire
goiks wrote:
is the advertising not commensurate with the product?

(rhetorical, didn't need to watch)

Advertising is usually not primarily about the product. It's about the target consumer. In fact for some products the product is not even shown in the advertisement.
Monotremata
Moho wrote:
Monotremata wrote:

When a video is as cringeworthy as that one was yeah I do. Who were they trying to market the Drum Brute to with that ad?

I mean are they trying to grab electronic musicians throwing it down at clubs or are they trying to sell units to art house modern dance troupes?

Now reshoot that video and instead of the ballerina, throw in the neighbor from The Big Lebowski doing his interpretive Spring Cycle dance and I am throwing my money at Arturia!
IR
Too much work, they could simply make videos or photos of a bunch of hipsters drinking coffee with some blurry piece of gear in the background, or maybe a blurry pic of a bunch of knobs and caption it "Coming Soon" or something like that.

They'll soon have 5 pages of nonsense on here and about 80 pages on Gearslutz.

I'm not sure what video in particular the o.p. was referring to, but I did notice all those videos longer than half an hour. I guess Arturia pays reviewers by the number of minutes.
BTByrd
At least the products weren't total garbage and they gave the promotional team a budget. I have never felt so bad for someone demonstrating a synthesizer as I've felt for Dan the Man from Akai. You have my deepest sympathies, brother. Legend!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2