MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Time/event based switch wanted
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Time/event based switch wanted
Mr. Aloud
Is there a module that can do this:

A DAW or MIDI sequencer is sending notes, most likely a continuous stream of 16ths, but there will be some ties glides etc thrown in sometimes.

Probably converting MIDI to CV/gate in a different module, I´m looking for something that can split the incoming control signals based on time or events. I´m thinking of using 4 neutrons for that.

Event based: The first note gets send to the first OSC, second note to the second OSC and so forth. Similar to what the Mono/Poly can do. Should allow for a mix of 16th, 8th, 4th notes,

Time based: The switching happens every 16th note, no matter if a note is incoming or not or is a note is held. I still have to get my head around the trigger/gate part for non 16th, but that´s a different story. This time based mode is optional anyway.

If there is no module that would support that (or if things get really messy), I´d then look into something pre-modular to handle things while still in MIDI world. Maybe Bome Translator box or even the DAW (Ableton M4L). But of course I´d prefer to have this in the rack.
nostalghia
The type of module you're looking for is usually referred to as a "shift register" or sequential switch (there are differences, but also some overlap in their functions).

I would check out the Intellijel "Shifty" eurorack module-think it will do what you want, once you convert MIDI to CV/Gate to feed its inputs. You could also experiment with patching a clock signal to the gate or reset input, adjusting rate and division as needed. Read the manual for details on how to set up and use the different modes of operation-it's pretty flexible, also small and decently priced.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/intellijel-shifty

https://intellijel.com/downloads/manuals/shifty_manual_1.11_2019.01.02 .pdf

Here's a new sequential switch module that looks good, to give you an idea of how that approach works (basic idea is to switch your note (or any) CV to a different output jack based on incoming clock)-gate output of your sequence could go directly to trigger a single envelope controlling a VCA if all the audio would be routed through it:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mystic-circuits-tree
Mr. Aloud
Awesome reply, many thanks! Now off to read some manuals wink
diophantine
Based on your description I'm not certain that a shift register is what you're after.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like your primary goal is to send multiple notes/events over MIDI at the same time and send them to different VCOs? If so, you'll want a polyphonic MIDI-to-CV converter.

A shift register, on the other hand, takes a single voltage input (CV), and a clock input (gate). Let's say these come from a keyboard.
Play note A: VCO1 plays A.
Play note B: VCO1 plays B, VCO2 plays A.
Play note C: VCO1 plays C, VCO2 plays B, VCO3 plays A.
Play note D: VCO1 plays D, VCO2 plays C, VCO3 plays B, VCO4 plays A.
Play note E: VCO1 plays E, VCO2 plays D, VCO3 plays C, VCO4 plays B.
etc.
ranix
Polyend Poly can do it
Mr. Aloud
Sorry if my description wasn´t clear enough, but I was aiming for a DAW/sequencer spitting out 16th notes, one after another. Those currently hit a single machine, which then gets a lot of modulation by either ENV/LFO or step-sequenced CCs to keep things interesting. Now the idea is to distribute the incoming 16ths to multiple destinations, which in v1 could be as "simple" as 4 different neutrons. But that´s still to be decided, maybe I´ll build something closer to the Mono/Poly with the same type of paraphony, ie multiple OSCS with shared filters.

I´ll follow your format to describe what I´m looking for:
Sequencer spits out a single note per step, often 16th at 120-150 BPM
Plays note A: VCO1 plays A.
Plays note B: VCO1 may or may not still play A, VCO2 plays B.
Plays note C: VCO1 may or may not still play A, VCO2 may or may not still play B, VCO3 plays C.
etc.

The distribution scheme of those notes would be simple round robin. Other modes like random or even sequenced choice of "note destination" would sure be nice, but aren´t a must have. A bit like a loadbalancer operates for servers in IT, to distribute incoming traffic to multiple destinations serving the same purpose.

Likewise, the option you mentioned, I´d name that a chord splitter, sounds very intriguing, is something optional or a different setup
/patch. BUT! As MIDI data is serial, wouldn´t even a chord arrive as a stream of single notes, one after the other, just very quickly? If a shift register is really fast (either on the CV side of things or still on the digital MIDI side), wouldn´t it still be able to split the chord to the different targets? I need to think again and learn more smile

I´ll definitely take a look at polyend, thanks for bringing this up.
Nagasaki45
Sounds like a simple sequencial switch will get you running. If I were you I would grab a (relatively) cheap one, like the doepfer a-151, and start experimenting. After a while you'll probably know better what you need / want further, and it's not a huge investment.
Agawell
I think you need a sequential switch and 4 sample and hold circuits

send the v/oct into the switch each out of the switch send the v/oct to a sample and hold which is between the sequential switch and each vco

if the s&h are omitted then the note played by the vcos will be whatever they are tuned to unless the note is sent from the switch

obviously you'll need some way to trigger the sample and hold modules - possibly another sequential switch sent a constant voltage and triggered the same as the first switch - you would also be able to do this with multiple envelope follower/gate extractors - it may also work just sending the v/oct from the first switch to the trigger of the s&h, but this would really depend on the sensitivity of the s&h trigger and the v/oct values - so may not be dependable
kpreid
Mr. Aloud wrote:

Sequencer spits out a single note per step, often 16th at 120-150 BPM
Plays note A: VCO1 plays A.
Plays note B: VCO1 may or may not still play A, VCO2 plays B.
Plays note C: VCO1 may or may not still play A, VCO2 may or may not still play B, VCO3 plays C.
etc.

The distribution scheme of those notes would be simple round robin. Other modes like random or even sequenced choice of "note destination" would sure be nice, but aren´t a must have. A bit like a loadbalancer operates for servers in IT, to distribute incoming traffic to multiple destinations serving the same purpose.

Assuming you have a MIDI-CV interface to use with it, this is exactly what Intellijel Shifty does, all in one module. Despite the name, it doesn't only act as a shift register — it can also round-robin or random, replacing one CV out while the others stay where they were.

(Disclaimer: I haven't used Shifty myself. Just considered it.)

The idea above of a S&H per voice with a sequential switch each for CV and gate would also work, and means that you have more options to patch it other ways, but there's a lot more HP and patching involved.
ranix
hm the poly won't be able to split based on time, it will only sequentially switch from one channel to the next so it can only do some of what you want
Keltie
By no means an expert on these sorts of patches, but read the thread out of interest. One word leapt out from OPs clarification of the desired outcome....

“May”

“As in, VCOs A may still play note A”

So some probability in there?

I was thinking switch and sample holds. Now I’m thinking add VCAs and MI branches ( didn’t Michigan do a dual branches = 4 channels?)

And it sounds to me like a straight 16 clock is for sure part of the solution.

Interested to see what ppl come up with....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1