MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EHX Oceans 11 and synths / line level
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author EHX Oceans 11 and synths / line level
R.U.Nuts
So I'm looking at adding a spring reverb to my synth setup. I guess I have checked out almost every easily available option out there. What I'm looking for is the classic splashy, drippy sound well known from old Dub records. I found out that a lot of units actually don't deliver that sound. - Digital emulations as well as real spring units. - Or they can't be adjusted to fully wet which is a requirement for me since I want to use it in a send channel on my mixer. The ones that sound best are the Vermona Retroverb and the Benidub spring amp. But they are a bit expensive for me at the moment. Then I discovered that the EHX Oceans 11 sounds damn good in that regard.

So before I pull the trigger: Can somebody tell me how well the O11 handles hot line level signals? Because that's what I'll be piping through it and I don't want to mess with additional gear to attenuate input and/or boost output...
sduck
If all you want is the spring sound, you should look at the Catlinbred Topanga. It's the only pedal that sounds right to me. I don't know how it works with synth levels, although I could try it and report back tomorrow. It sounds perfect for guitar. That EXH isn't nearly as good.
R.U.Nuts
But the Topanga can't go fully wet, right?
sduck
Yes it can! And sounds really great when it does!

BTW I just did some experimentation running my peak through it - it's got a fairly hot signal. I found the sweet spot to be with the volume on the peak in the middle, and the volume on the topanga at the bottom. Supposedly you can get more range by running it at 18v. There's also a gain trimpot inside the unit, but not sure how that would affect this. You might try emailing them - they're really good about answering questions like this.
R.U.Nuts
Thanks for the info! So I'll take the Topanga into consideration as well.
But anyway: I'd like to hear some experiences from O11 users. Since it sounded really convincing in demos and it's pretty cheap...
R.U.Nuts
I just discovered this video:

https://youtu.be/9OdF9jkVJGM

I must say that I prefer the sound of the Oceans 11 over the Topanga. Heck it even sounds better than the original Fender unit to my ears (but that could be due to the volume drop). Furthermore I was shocked how shitty that expensive source audio pedal and that boss pedal sounded. And: I actually liked the sound of the TC Electronics Drip, too. The muddy, LoFi sound might be even a good thing in my use scenario. Unfortunately it can't go fully wet which is a dealbreaker for me.
sduck
It does sound good in that video! I wish he had spent a little more effort in getting the settings and levels more similar sounding than he did, and that the examples were a bit longer - those fast cut transitions hardly give you time to register the sounds.
MindMachine
sduck wrote:
It does sound good in that video! I wish he had spent a little more effort in getting the settings and levels more similar sounding than he did, and that the examples were a bit longer - those fast cut transitions hardly give you time to register the sounds.

Yeah I thought the Dan Electro was too low and the Fender pedal was too hot.

And I want a Melleko Spring Chicken!
Tronman
If you mean splashy and drippy like in surf music, the Oceans 11 spring reverb setting (which is pretty much the only setting I use) is the closest I've found to vintage Fender 6G15 tanks, but I use it on guitar.

I just tried it on my Dotcom synth and it sounds good, but of course, it doesn't drip like it does when you mute the strings on a guitar. I can get a very clean sound through manipulation of the controls and still get a good reverb sound. The TONE control seems to distort the signal as it's turned up past 12:00 if the FX LVL control is turned up past 12:00. With the controls all set at 12:00, I get a really nice, clean reverb without change in tone.

I've owned the Topanga and the Boss FDR1 and I think the Oceans 11 is better for surf guitar, but for synth, I think either the Topanga or the Oceans 11 would work out well. Some of the other settings on the Oceans 11 might also be nice for synth. The only one I don't like is the Plate because mine rings at all settings. Maybe mine is defective, but I don't care because I don't need a plate reverb for guitar.
R.U.Nuts
Hey, thanks for your in depth review! I hope it'll drip on other sounds than palm muted guitar. Obviously the sounds need to be percussive. I plan to use it with snare drum or snare like sounds and other percussive hits.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1