MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer Quad ADSR - Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer Quad ADSR - Questions
Gringo Starr
One of the main reasons I’m looking at this module is because it can send gate-outs at different stages of the envelope. In my mind this seems very usable but I’d like to hear from users that take advantage of that function. How often do you find yourself using those individual gate-outs?

As I’m still way behind in the world of Eurorack modules is there other modules that do what this does even better or that function in a way that you prefer?
lauprellim
I recently bought that module for my rack. Although I haven’t had enough time to really work with those gate triggers yet, I want to try using them on longer envelopes to trigger other envelopes. In other words, I want to start one slowly evolving sound after the first one has reached the A or D portion of the first envelope. I think this could make for some very interesting evolving textures, sort of like the kind of thing Georg Friedrich Haas does in many of his compositions.
authorless
I can't speak on the quad ADSR, but the quad AD in the same family has gate/trigger outs for each stage and I have used it some. From using it as a gate delay to setting it up to make rhythms, it is pretty handy. I also use the end of cycle trigger on the Intellijel Quarda. The Doepfer quad AD was really popular when it came out.
WaveRider
Gringo Starr wrote:
One of the main reasons I’m looking at this module is because it can send gate-outs at different stages of the envelope. In my mind this seems very usable but I’d like to hear from users that take advantage of that function. How often do you find yourself using those individual gate-outs?

I had this module, I rarely used the gate outs... btw, the capacitors discharge slowly, so you have audio bleed when patching thru a vca

I sold it. Doesn't sound that good as an envelope anyway.
Rex Coil 7
I think there is a Befaco module that sends a gate at the end of each stage of a 4 stage envelope.

thumbs up
Dcramer
I have one and have used the gate outs to create cycles.
I’m pretty sure I’ve got an example video patch where I use the gate outs to create a drum beat with multiple modules. hmmm..... very cool as you can swing/shift each gate thumbs up
chvad
WaveRider wrote:
Gringo Starr wrote:

I had this module, I rarely used the gate outs... btw, the capacitors discharge slowly, so you have audio bleed when patching thru a vca

I sold it. Doesn't sound that good as an envelope anyway.

As a counter point I never had any bleed issues with this module. I also think it sounded fine. The gate out are super useful if you are into generative stuff and long evolving tones and such. I loved it.... I also loved the Doepfer Quad AD mentioned above. If I had room for another case I'd probably add them back into my setup but alas... room.
electricanada
I have the A-143-2, but would also like to have the A-143-1.
dubonaire
I've never had any bleed issues with this module.

I think it's a great module and use it all the time. I self-patch the EO gates into the gate inputs of the other ADSRs in the module, which means you can control the envelope durations by the A, S and R durations. I also use it with the Doepfer A-152 switch, a multiple, and the 4ms VCA matrix.

Also a feature of Doepfer ADSRs is the retrigger input which is excellent for rhythmic variations.
ersatzplanet
Easy to mod to use the internal Gate bus too.
KevinTorres
I have not had this problem
Ebotronix
I have the 143-2 .
to get long ADSR curves it's important to feed the module with gates.
if you use trigger signals it doesn't work properly.
I had the A 143-1 but I sold it because it doesn't work with gate.
if you feed it with a gate the modul transformed it to a trigger.
now I have the Sputnik Modular Quad Function / Trigger Source.
this modul have a 3-mode switch per generator: CYCLE (LFO), TRANSIENT, SUSTAINED
dubonaire
Ebotronix wrote:
I have the 143-2 .
this modul have a 3-mode switch per generator: CYCLE (LFO), TRANSIENT, SUSTAINED

All ADSRs need gates because gates set the envelope time. Usually the sustain duration is a The A-143-1 is an AD envelope generator. These generally work on triggers because there is no sustain section is a function of the gate length.
Ebotronix
dubonaire wrote:
Ebotronix wrote:
I have the 143-2 .

All ADSRs need gates because gates set the envelope time. Usually the sustain duration is a The A-143-1 is an AD envelope generator. These generally work on triggers because there is no sustain section is a function of the gate length.

the A 143-1 is a Buchla 281 clone.
the 281 have the 3 mode switch to get sustained envelopes.
Ringo
Ebotronix wrote:
I have the 143-2 .

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A143_1_jumpers.pdf

The Doepfer A-143-1 works with gates. Jumper JP7 in upper postion=gated mode=AR envelope.

Quote from the Doepfer website:
"JP7: gated/triggerd mode
upper position= gated mode
lower position = triggered mode
(= factory setting)"
Ringo
I should add that I have never owned the A-143-1. I have only researched the gate mode/Jumper setting from the Doepfer website.

I own the A-143-2, however, and I think it is a great module. Very playable with its 4x4 knobs (not shafts) and luxurious 4x3 end-of-outputs.

In low mode (shortest setting) the decay could be a bit longer for my taste, but for percussive sounds it is great as it is.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1