Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mattdennewitz
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Introducing Chainsaw - 4hp polyphonic supersaw oscillator

Post by mattdennewitz » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:28 am

deformative wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:06 pm
What module(s) is everyone using for v/oct inputs? I'm considering Instruo's Harmonaig. Any simpler/cheaper recommendations? I wish Chord v2 had a quantized CV output option along with the oscillators.
Acid Curdz on the o_C does a fine job
-m

wiggle hunt, global synth gear search: https://wigglehunt.com

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 pm

oliq wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:51 pm
This looks amazing. I've been using braids with renaissance for chords and while it's nice I want to get different inversions and a bigger sound for pads and stabs. I don't think I have space to fully use it in stereo though, can it still do the jobs for pads and big chords using just the mono? Does it normalise to mono when you just plug in one jack, or do you always just get some of the voice son each side?
Each output will hear some of every waveform generated in the Chainsaw - a mirrored "blend" at each. We found no need for cable detection at the outputs (also very tricky to implements) since this sounded great to us even using just one output :)
c0rpse wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:54 pm
I'm really digging this thing! Very happy to see that holding the encoder resets to C1, so useful! :sb:

One suggestion though, would it be possible to make a setting that turns the FM input into a digital VCA control? Finding stereo VCA's in my system can be a bit tricky. :tu:
Unfortunately there is a hardware limitation that prevents this (no cable detection on the FM input so it would be unable to be normalized "high"). Try patching a short envelope into the FM though - IMO lots of hoover fun to be had :)

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:10 pm

Also, I just have to post this incredible Chainsaw demo by Sami Rabia!

WARNING - this demo is PURE TRANCE - if you or your family can't handle the euphoria, or the arpeggios get too fast, please pause the video and take a deep breath before continuing to watch.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:34 pm

Quick announcement - we have just released Chainsaw Firmware V1.1

If you have a unit that is experiencing any pitch tracking issues, this update should fix them for you. We identified a small DC offset + noise present at the FM input of some units that was affecting the tracking and have applied some adaptive filtering to the signal to ignore it when no cable is plugged into the FM input. Firmware update instructions and the .WAV file needed for audio bootloading are available on the product page of our website:

https://acidraintechnology.com/products ... 5391996022

Please don't hesitate to reach out here or at acidraintech@gmail.com if you have questions about the firmware update :)

Cheers,

Ryan

mkasthe
Common Wiggler

Post by mkasthe » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 am

Just ordered mine, can’t wait to give this one a try!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

It’s back in stock in the Acid Rain Tech website so get yours if you have been waiting!
Made in Italy and exported to NYC

dekeship
1-Post Wiggler

Post by dekeship » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 am

Is there an expander in the works? Love to know what all those extra pins in the rear are for... :miley:

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:22 pm

dekeship wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 am
Is there an expander in the works? Love to know what all those extra pins in the rear are for... :miley:
I'm still patiently holding out for MIDI in...
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Xssory wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 pm
Unfortunately there is a hardware limitation that prevents this (no cable detection on the FM input so it would be unable to be normalized "high"). Try patching a short envelope into the FM though - IMO lots of hoover fun to be had :)
Of course. Didn't even think about that. Still in love with this thing anyway! It's so flexible for performance!
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 pm

dekeship wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:40 am
Love to know what all those extra pins in the rear are for...
Those are primarily for flashing firmware onto the module and calibrating the inputs during production - we have special hardware that hooks up to them and runs an automatic calibration routine

No expanders in the works right now but we'll keep it in mind for the future :)

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Xssory wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:34 pm
Quick announcement - we have just released Chainsaw Firmware V1.1

If you have a unit that is experiencing any pitch tracking issues, this update should fix them for you. We identified a small DC offset + noise present at the FM input of some units that was affecting the tracking and have applied some adaptive filtering to the signal to ignore it when no cable is plugged into the FM input. Firmware update instructions and the .WAV file needed for audio bootloading are available on the product page of our website:

https://acidraintechnology.com/products ... 5391996022

Please don't hesitate to reach out here or at acidraintech@gmail.com if you have questions about the firmware update :)

Cheers,

Ryan
Just finished the update. Indeed it was a bit finicky but I in the end it wasn't that bad. But the good news is that this massively improved the pitch tracking of my module. Before I used to get a not that precise 4 oct range. After the firmware update I can get a 7 oct range with allot less pitch deviation. Many thanks for this! :yay:

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:43 pm

Just finished the update. Indeed it was a bit finicky but I in the end it wasn't that bad. But the good news is that this massively improved the pitch tracking of my module. Before I used to get a not that precise 4 oct range. After the firmware update I can get a 7 oct range with allot less pitch deviation. Many thanks for this! :yay:
Glad it worked out for you! FYI, we recommend patching directly from the headphone output of a computer or phone to the module for this update. Any audio equipment in the signal chain between the DAC/amp and module might color the signal enough to change what the module is hearing and make firmware upload difficult. Again please reach out if you have questions :)

Ryan

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 am

Seems out of stock everywhere in EU. Any idea when it will be back ?

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Fri May 22, 2020 1:59 pm

southberry wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 am
Seems out of stock everywhere in EU. Any idea when it will be back ?
Currently in production! Things are a bit slower than usual due to the Covid crisis but moving none the less thankfully. Will post here when we have a solid ship date :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”