MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyphonic CV-to-MIDI unit?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Polyphonic CV-to-MIDI unit?
diophantine
Yes, I'm looking for a polyphonic CV-to-MIDI converter... not MIDI-to-CV!

I'd love to be able to control my polysynths from my modular (particularly from things like the Klee), but I'm not aware of anything that can do more than one (or maybe two) notes at a time. I'd want at least four.

I realize that this could be implemented in various ways, but I'd be interested in anything out there, regardless of format (as long as it is a hardware-only solution).
ranix
ddrum ddti is great for converting triggers to MIDI.

I don't have a multi-channel CV to MIDI converter or know of one yet. I've been using a single channel synthesizers.com quantizer that can output midi notes for one of the four quantized channels.
diophantine
ranix wrote:
ddrum ddti is great for converting triggers to MIDI.

Wow, never seen it before - that's pretty nifty, and at a nice price, too. Could definitely see using that with my ESI-4000 and/or Korg Wavestation.

ranix wrote:
I don't have a multi-channel CV to MIDI converter or know of one yet. I've been using a single channel synthesizers.com quantizer that can output midi notes for one of the four quantized channels.

I have a large Dotcom/MU system, but no quantizer & I always forget that Roger's quantizer expander has MIDI output. I guess I was never sure about its MIDI capabilities. So does it send out all 4 notes from the 4 quantizers on a single MIDI channel? So my modular could do basic 4-note polyphony (without any extra frills) on my Polaris or DX7 or whatever?
JohnLRice
Moon 552 maybe? thumbs up
http://www.lunar-experience.com/download/552.pdf
ranix
diophantine wrote:
So does it send out all 4 notes from the 4 quantizers on a single MIDI channel? So my modular could do basic 4-note polyphony (without any extra frills) on my Polaris or DX7 or whatever?

Negative, only the 4th expander channel (which also has extra scale controls the other 3 channels don't have) outputs MIDI on this device.

It is super cool to control outboard synths from the q960 but I do only have the one channel to work with.
Rex Coil 7
ADDAC 221

LINK = https://analoguehaven.com/addacsystem/addac221/

... OR ...

ADDAC 222

LINK = https://analoguehaven.com/addacsystem/addac222/
diophantine
JohnLRice wrote:
Moon 552 maybe?

I'd forgotten about this! Do you use it? And if so, do you like it? A friend had all the Moon MIDI modules and didn't like one of them, maybe it was this one (it definitely wasn't the M553, as he loves that).

ranix wrote:
Negative, only the 4th expander channel (which also has extra scale controls the other 3 channels don't have) outputs MIDI on this device.

Bummer, but thanks for the info! Still a neat bonus feature to have in the quantizer.

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
ADDAC 222

The 221 I knew about (very cool, but only for sending MIDI CC), but I'll take a closer look at the 222; thx!
JohnLRice
diophantine wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Moon 552 maybe?

I'd forgotten about this! Do you use it? And if so, do you like it? A friend had all the Moon MIDI modules and didn't like one of them, maybe it was this one (it definitely wasn't the M553, as he loves that).
Yes, I like the 552 quite a bit, enough to buy a second one so I can have one in a live use sequencer case as well as one in my main studio setup. There are a couple design idiosyncrasies/issues that need to be tolerated though, mainly to do with the transposition functionality (I'm not exactly recalling at the moment but I think if you put it in CV transpose mode it offsets the output quite a bit) and some instability when using all 4 channels at once (notes are output a half step up or down occasionally), although I haven't taken the time to completely analyse an determine the exact cause of that last one. (not sure if the problem was with the input source, the power supply, or the module itself).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1