MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Joranalogue GENERATE 3 - Through-Zero Multiphonic Signal Gen
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Joranalogue GENERATE 3 - Through-Zero Multiphonic Signal Gen
joranalogue
A VCO for a new generation

Any signal can be expressed in terms of a few parameters: frequency, phase, amplitude and timbre. It is through modulation of these aspects that synthesists create electronic sound. With Generate 3, it is now possible to create a signal and control all its parameters by through-zero modulation within a single 12 HP wide module.

Everything starts with the exceptionally precise triangle-core voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) at the module’s heart. Through-zero linear frequency modulation (FM) enables rich yet pitch-stable FM sounds, by allowing the oscillator to run backwards into ‘negative frequencies’.

The resultant triangle wave is then processed by the through-zero phase modulator, providing a total phase shift range of 900°. Phase modulation offers an interesting alternative for FM, as it enables deep FM-type tones without actually changing the oscillation frequency.

The timbre of a signal is determined by its harmonic content. This full set of harmonics can be grouped into three main parts: the fundamental, even and odd harmonics. Generate 3’s harmonics generator separates out these three timbral ‘channels’. By adjusting their relative amplitudes, a vast array of different waveforms can be created, including but not limited to the classic sine, saw and square waves.

While the amplitudes can be adjusted manually, each timbral channel supports through-zero amplitude modulation, also known as balanced or ring modulation. When audio-frequency modulation signals are applied, the harmonics become ‘split’, enriching the spectrum.

In addition to all the usual analogue synthesis techniques, the extensive set of modulation options makes Generate 3 especially suited for exploring multiphonic synthesis: a monophonic source creating a complex timbre, much like throat singing, yet by electronic means.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/generate-3-divide-by-zero[/s]

SUPERBOOTH19 announcement! Coming in November 2019.

More info: https://joranalogue.com/generate-3
ModularGrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-generate-3

Pricing to be announced
12 HP, 30 mm deep
Buttons ARE toys
woah This looks VERY cool. You have some of the best ideas in synthesis and I'm consistently blown away by your designs.
Virusinstaller
Buttons ARE toys wrote:
woah This looks VERY cool. You have some of the best ideas in synthesis and I'm consistently blown away by your designs.

I second this. A superb idea. Raising the bar of analog design. Nice work.
Looking forward to hearing & learning more.
CaneMan
That module looks like it's just begging for some feedback patching.
Utopian
This!

Virusinstaller wrote:
Raising the bar of analog design.

Absolutely. Not just that, I also think Joranalogue raises the bar when it comes to patching possibilities in Eurorack.

Super exited about this, hope to hear more of it in the coming days. Also, this one will look great paired with the fabulous Filter 8.
mdoudoroff
This entire product line is becoming so impressive. And compact. And generally economical. Joranalogue is still maybe one VCA module short of a “complete system”.
cackland
mdoudoroff wrote:
This entire product line is becoming so impressive. And compact. And generally economical. Joranalogue is still maybe one VCA module short of a “complete system”.

Took the words right out from my fingers.

I can see a whole new rack of Joranalogue in my studio. Nice work.
Look forward to the demos
starthief
Okay, this one has my full attention eek!

I bet it makes a fantastic waveshaper when you drop the base frequency as low as possible, and then run audio through TZFM or TZPM inputs.

I'm also looking forward to more demos.
boramx
super cool, love the LFO potential here. only thing missing is an output that sits at 0 degrees phase...
joranalogue
boramx wrote:
super cool, love the LFO potential here. only thing missing is an output that sits at 0 degrees phase...

Not missing, the core output has you covered! (Although it's an octave below the fundamental, but this means you can treat it as a sub-oscillator out too.)
Keltie
This looks fabulous. Always impressed by joranalogues designs... always an interesting take on modules. Don’t have any yet, but I think that’s gonna change....
cg_funk
This is the most exciting module of the year so far for me! screaming goo yo

It looks like you have found a new way to modulate between sine, square, and triangle and other waves in analogue that I've never even considered was possible! This is gonna allow all kids of amazing morphing waveforms. And 5 simultaneous outs too. Totally blown away. Excited to see more this week!

Also love that LFO switch, it's a feature that's quite useful on the Filter8 and I'm glad you are keeping it standard. applause
lisa
Just.. awesome. It’s a wonder to me that there’s still so much fresh refinement to be found in the realm of analogue modules but Joranalogue goes beyond my expectations again and again.
cackland
lisa wrote:
Just.. awesome. It’s a wonder to me that there’s still so much fresh refinement to be found in the realm of analogue modules but Joranalogue goes beyond my expectations again and again.

thumbs up

Joranalogue is quickly becoming my favorite eurorack designer.
MARK27
Buttons ARE toys wrote:

I absolutely agree.

Only thing missing for me is that I wish you offered black panel options.

I actually can't think of a single thru-zero fm-able VCO with a black panel option.

The wait continues...
starthief
MARK27 wrote:
I actually can't think of a single thru-zero fm-able VCO with a black panel option.

E352
E370
Omega-Phi
Furthrrrr Generator Black Edition with Strong Zero core installed
Mindphaser
Bateleur mk2
DIY Warps (okay, technically TZPM)
ER-301 with a third-party black panel

Why Doepfer's TZFM VCO SE comes in blue instead of black, I'll never know.

(I'm still extremely interested in Generate 3, though. Mr. Green)
CaneMan
cackland wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote:

Took the words right out from my fingers.

I can see a whole new rack of Joranalogue in my studio. Nice work.
Look forward to the demos

I was in the market for a more straightforward VCO, but I think this one just took its place.
joranalogue
Thank you everyone for the kind words! It'll be exciting to see how people use it once the first units appear in the wild.

If you're attending Superbooth, feel free to swing by the booth and test drive the two Generate 3 prototypes + the rest of the Eurorack series. We're next to the main entrance, can't miss it!

Zymos
Moar demos please!!!
Buyakasoundman
I hope you post some vids of your entire rack in action, I’m dying to hear the Generate 3/Filter 8 combo.
synonymist
Arrgh. I have no available rack space... no fair!

Joran, congratulations on another useful, innovative, and sane module design. You are killin' it. thumbs up
Funky40
looks VERY interesting.

i´d be interested to see oscilloscope videos, simple ones, just working with manually tweaking and also (separately) modulating the amplitudes to get a idea what the different waveshapes look like, without FM. At first wink

also: reset is a common sync i guess ?
is there anything special to say about the reset and how it works ?
( burnt child by a past VCO who was only inverting the sine wave, to give an example)

maximum frequenzy is how much ?
(yes, thats important for some things.......speaking to those who would want to colour such question a stupid one)
SavageMessiah
love
joranalogue
Funky40 wrote:
looks VERY interesting.

i´d be interested to see oscilloscope videos, simple ones, just working with manually tweaking and also (separately) modulating the amplitudes to get a idea what the different waveshapes look like, without FM. At first wink

also: reset is a common sync i guess ?
is there anything special to say about the reset and how it works ?
( burnt child by a past VCO who was only inverting the sine wave, to give an example)

maximum frequenzy is how much ?
(yes, thats important for some things.......speaking to those who would want to colour such question a stupid one)

Reset is indeed 'hard' sync: the VCO core is reset to 0 V on a rising edge of the sync signal, after which the triangle continues in the direction it was going before the reset. Flip is what you might could call 'soft' sync: the triangle changes direction without any instantaneous voltage jump.

The maximum frequency is 27 kHz by default. You can actually push it beyond using the TZFM input; the triangle core has no problem keeping up but the harmonics waveforms will start to degrade.
cloudleft
This is brilliant! I can't wait to hear what this sounds like. AC coupling on the TZFM is such a nice touch – solves the problem of your modulator introducing unwanted offsets.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3