MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boss RV-500 Reverb Effects Processor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Boss RV-500 Reverb Effects Processor
AndiSt
I have given up on Eurorack reverbs - either spring reverbs (which can sound great, but have a very unique sound) or then variations of the Spin FV-1 effects chip (which all sound the same and don't sound very nice at all).

Is anybody using the Boss RV-500 reverb as an end-of-chain unit? If yes, how does it handle Eurorack levels and frequency ranges?

Thank you for sharing your experiences in advance.
Buttons ARE toys
This would probably make more sense in the general gear page, but I would say you'll want to heavily attenuate your signal before hitting the pedal. I use a Boss DD-500 after my euro system, and sometimes create a feedback loop with the two, but I always run the signal through line in/out converters first. If you're just putting it at the end of your chain, run the rack into a mixer first or just make sure you're sending it out through an attenuator with the level all the way down and bring it up until it sounds good. The 500 series pedals suggest a maximum input level of +8dBu, and modular signals can come out as high as +19dBu.

And in terms of sound, all the 500 pedals sound great, I doubt you'll ever want for another reverb if you go with that one.
AndiSt
Buttons ARE toys wrote:
This would probably make more sense in the general gear page,

I thought about that too, but I want to hear Eurorack users and how they integrate this device with their system.

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
The 500 series pedals suggest a maximum input level of +8dBu, and modular signals can come out as high as +19dBu.

I use a WMD performance mixer. Its "Master" knob is nothing else than an attenuator, I think.

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
And in terms of sound, all the 500 pedals sound great, I doubt you'll ever want for another reverb if you go with that one.

That's the game plan, thank you for confirming. For what it offers, it is rather reasonably priced. Costs less than some Eurorack "effects" modules... applause
donrock
If you want alternatives, Empress Reverb, Eventide Space (also H9), Strymon BigSky, Source Audio Ventris are also similar to the Boss reverb, but I believe Boss is priced the lowest. The Empress and the Source audio allow for dual fx at the same time, which can be nice for ambient/weird sounds.
CaneMan
I use a Bastl Hendrikson as an aux send for my Line 6 HX Effects pedal. It's a little more flexible than just outputting via your preferred modular to output method. The module's built in CV over wet/dry is also nice for smaller cases. I've noticed Eurorack modules dedicated to integrating pedals into the rack seem to be split between stereo (example: Strymon AA.1) or mono plus some feature like wet/dry (Bastl Hendrikson, Malekko SND/RTN, etc) or CV to expression (ALM Busy Circuits S.B.G.).

That reminds me. While I'm pretty sure the S.B.G. is the only module that has an output meant to plug into a pedal's expression pedal input, I believe I've heard of other techniques for interfacing with expression inputs.
vnsc
I have an RV-500, however I only use it as an aux effect on my mixer for synths/euro/the like. I would be hesitant of putting modular signal levels directly into the unit for reasons mentioned above. FWIW, I had an Eventide Space, sold it and enjoy the sound and dynamic possibilities of the Boss unit more.
nimmen
I use lexicon pcm70, but I find fv-1 not bad for most of the things, strymon stuff sounds too bright for my taste.
pinhole_sunrise
I’ve used one but the signal out of my rack is going through a WMD Pro Output. No issues there.
AndiSt
nimmen wrote:
... but I find fv-1 not bad...

What is a FV-1?
hinterlands303
I go from the WMD Pro Output to the Boss RV-500 and it works really well. I REALLY like this pedal. If you like to get in there and program it can be really rewarding - lots of internal modulation options, really nice freeze effects, and 1 delay per patch. You can also run 2 patches simultaneously on the A and B channels if you want. The only thing I don't like is the shimmer - if you're looking for an ethereal shimmer effect look elsewhere.

Here's something I did recently with it. Note - the low-fi delay feedback is from the Koma Field Kit FX not the RV-500. It's a pretty noisy patch but hopefully you can get a sense. I believe it's the plate reverb going into a large hall in Dual Reverb mode. I use the freeze effect a few times in here as well.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-newman/paragon
TEKBRAIN
AndiSt wrote:
nimmen wrote:

What is a FV-1?

Chipset used in Eurorack reverb modules.

FV-1
AndiSt
TEKBRAIN wrote:
AndiSt wrote:
nimmen wrote:

What is a FV-1?

Chipset used in Eurorack reverb modules.
FV-1

Ah, yes. I mentioned that :-) ...thought you were talking about a Boss effect unit, my mistake.
Neo
Tiptop Z-DSP is an FV-1 module, and with the Halls of Valhalla card it sounds better than most digital reverb pedals. It does take up quite a bit of HP though.

The 2hp Verb is worth a look. Sounds better than most other eurorack reverbs.. and i'ts only 2 hp!

If it has to be a pedal then H9 would be my choice
suboptimal
I decided to go for the RV-500 when I was on a similar search recently. I use it in the aux loop of my outboard mixer. Plenty of good sounds and quite deep, but with a decent interface for getting things tweaked. I've not had as much time as I'd hoped to use it deeply, but my experience with it so far as been good.

Reverb is so personal. Worst case you can always sell it on and try something else if it's not your thing.
grep
donrock wrote:
If you want alternatives, Empress Reverb, Eventide Space (also H9), Strymon BigSky, Source Audio Ventris are also similar to the Boss reverb, but I believe Boss is priced the lowest. The Empress and the Source audio allow for dual fx at the same time, which can be nice for ambient/weird sounds.

The Empress Reverb is excellent but it does not do the dual engine thing. You are thinking of the Empress Echosystem.
AndiSt
I think I will wait. Can' decide: now, I believe that the MXR M300 is the better choice for my purposes hmmm.....
gentle_attack
The good thing about BOSS pedals is that if you buy them at a fair used price, you are looking at losing fees + shipping (if you can't sell locally) if it doesn't work out. They are built to withstand unbelievable impacts.

I think BOSS has great, timeless reverb algorithms, personally.
Bartimaeus
I've been really impressed with the sound of BOSS's latest reverbs. I think they old ones were mostly just good with guitar or for a particular sound, but the latest ones sound really good and not at all grainy. Given that the RV500 can layer two reverbs – or even a tape delay – it's pretty hard to justify any of the pricier options, which sound different but not better.
Parnelli
I haven't tried one of the spring reverbs yet, but I get a lot of use out of my 2hp Verb and Pittsburgh Verbtronic all the time and I'm quite happy with them. I also have a Disting mk4 but I use it more for ping pong than anything else.

I had a lot of issues with reverb when I first started, but I found that attenuating my audio before I put it through the verb unit (even if it has an attenuator) knocks down the signal and gives me much better results. I pretty much always have to do this with the 2hp, but I get a lot better results out of it in so doing.

Another thing I do is put the CV through an attenuator first to knock it down a bit, it gives me less range but more resolution if that makes sense.

I also use a Boss DD7 through an RML Guitar Pedal Interface, but as it doesn't give me control over CV I don't like it much, because I am a control freak when it comes to CV. I'm working on integrating the expression jack of the pedal into the modular so I might accomplish this, but I haven't had the time to get to it yet. If I'm just looking to put a little slap or something on a signal this works great for that.

Hope that helps!
AndiSt
Neo wrote:
The 2hp Verb is worth a look. Sounds better than most other eurorack reverbs.. and i'ts only 2 hp!

I have a 2hp Verb. It sounds as bad as any other Eurorack reverb (partly because it is based on the FV-1 chip). The only interesting Eurorack reverb ist MN Erbeverb - not because it is a good reverb (it is not, by far!), but because it is an interesting sound effect / voice.
AndiSt
Buttons ARE toys wrote:
... The 500 series pedals suggest a maximum input level of +8dBu, and modular signals can come out as high as +19dBu.

I finally got a used RV-500 for a decent price. In terms of sound quality, it blows apart any Eurorack module no doubt. Different league (and I have tried many Eurorack reverbs).
Most of the time, I use it as an end-of-chain stereo send/return effect in my WMD performance mixer. It works well with Eurorack levels even at the factory default settings without any conversion modules at all. At the moment, I am exploring the various attenuation settings to manage inputs and amplify outputs in order to optimize sound quality. Would love to see this unit available in a 3U format, this would simplify power management and cable management. Instead of stomp-box-style switches, I'd rather have smaller switches and a few CV/gate sockets to properly integrate it with my modular systems. Leaves me very much puzzled why none of the important reverb suppliers is offering Eurorack reverbs... seriously, i just don't get it
sutekina bipu-on
The RV500 is good. I sold mine when i got a DSP4000 but i sold that DSP4000 and now I should probably get a RV500 again.

If you use a BigSky with your eurorack im gonna find you and repo all your euro while you think about what you did wrong.
AndiSt
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
If you use a BigSky with your eurorack im gonna find you...

I will stick with the RV-500 as long as there are no good reverbs modules available. Have a Strymon Magneto module; very good stuff. If Strymon brings a Eurorack reverb module, I will definitely have a look/listen.
calaveras
I obsessed over eurorack mixers for a while. Then I realized that the 'performance mixers' are all over priced and hard to use.
I settled on an old school Mackie 1202. I run each 'voice' out to it's own channel on the Mackie. then I use aux sends for effects. There is enough gain on hand that I can even hit euro effects like a Disting or a Doepfer reverb without noise or clipping.

That also means that aside from a few slim mixers to combine sources before a filter or whatever, I dont have to waste HP on mixer/final output.
More room for oscs, modifiers and filters.
AndiSt
calaveras wrote:
I obsessed over eurorack mixers for a while. Then I realized that the 'performance mixers' are all over priced and hard to use.

I beg to differ: I am using a WMD Performance Mixer, which is easy to use, compact (for what it offers) and good value for the money (again, for what it offers - great sound quality and full CV-control of all relevant parameters of a mix).
While I see a case for an external mixer if one has non-Eurorack gear and does not require to be mobile, a dedicated Eurorack mixer offers a lot of advantages.
The Boss RV-500 can handle Eurorack levels, no problem - straight in, straight out, just plug the cables, no need for any level conversions. For fine-tuning, the RV-500 has built-in attenuation of direct level ("dry sound"), input level (reverb input) and amplification (gain) of reverb output up to +6db.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2