MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Elektron Digitone Keys
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Elektron Digitone Keys
12eightyfive
https://www.elektron.se/products/digitone-keys/

Hey hey, look at this! A new Elektron keyboard. Here's some specs:

8 voice polyphony (4-part multitimbral)
Multiple FM algorithms
Multiple operator harmonics
1 × multimode filter per voice
1 × base-width filter per voice
1 × overdrive per voice
2 × assignable LFO per voice
Unison
Portamento
2048 patch storage capacity on the +Drive
4 × synth tracks
4 × MIDI tracks
Arpeggiator per synth track
Polyphonic sequencing
Individual track lengths
Parameter locks
Micro timing
Trig conditions
Sound per step change
128 × projects on the +Drive
8 × Banks 16 × patterns per project
Send & master effects
Panoramic Chorus send effect
Saturator Delay send effect
Supervoid Reverb send effect
Overdrive master effect
37-key semi-weighted, velocity sensitive keyboard with aftertouch
Assignable pitch and modulation wheels
8 × user assignable rotary encoders
2 × 1/4” impedance balanced main out jacks
8 × 1/4” impedance balanced track out jacks
1 × 1/4” stereo headphone jack
2 × 1/4” audio in jacks
2 × 1/4” CV/Expression/Sustain jacks
128 × 64 pixel OLED screen
48 kHz, 24-bit D/A and A/D converters
Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port
MIDI In/Out/Thru with DIN Sync out
Physical specifications
Sturdy steel casing
Dimensions: W868 × D185 × H90 mm (including knobs, feet, and jacks)
Weight: approximately 6 kg
Dedicated MIDI controller mode
Overbridge enabled
3 year Elektron warranty

As someone who had been glued to their forum the last few days for this announcement I am relieved that their new product is not that new after all and my bank account can remain intact.
calaveras
seriously, this throws a huge spanner in my gear buying plans. I was just looking at Blofeld keyboards and a couple other digitally cool boxes on Ebay.

Then this email invades my wallet.

I do haveta say I wish Elektron would quit with the send effects and instead do effect per patch/timbre. Especially for multimbral boxes

calaveras

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
tioJim
Nice, great, smashing, cool etc. No really.

But ... wtf has the preceding tease campaign got to do with it?! ‘Restrictions are for the dreamless’. Keyboards then? Keyboards are for dreamers!

There’s no doubt armies of moaners on that Elektron thread as I type demanding their granular synths, MNM reissues and Octatrack MKIIIs they felt the marketing hyperbole promised!

But nice, great, smashing, cool etc. Seems like a logical (if not terribly exciting) move.
chvad
" I do haveta say I wish Elektron would quit with the send effects and instead do effect per patch/timbre. Especially for multimbral boxes "

That's the reason I sold my Elektron stuff. It's a super irritating design choice.
crowleywaltz
It's pretty hideous but all those track outs are pretty cool. Price is hefty at nearly double the regular Digitone.
mdoudoroff
calaveras
chvad wrote:
" I do haveta say I wish Elektron would quit with the send effects and instead do effect per patch/timbre. Especially for multimbral boxes "

That's the reason I sold my Elektron stuff. It's a super irritating design choice.

It's not like DSP is expensive? I get why that was a good idea when they made the Machinedrum etc. But for chrissakes the cost of DSP, ram and raw CPU cycles has gotten much cheaper since.
Not a huge deal with all the sub outs. I can just use the sends on my mixer to rack multi-effects. But it's also nice every now and then to have the effect be part of the patch. Esp with modulation effects.
bradpickapiper
Kind of a strange layout choice. “Let’s just smash a keyboard next to the digitone”
Wish they would have had things laid out above the keys with something closer to a knob per function.
meska
tioJim wrote:
Nice, great, smashing, cool etc. No really.

But ... wtf has the preceding tease campaign got to do with it?! ‘Restrictions are for the dreamless’. Keyboards then? Keyboards are for dreamers!

There’s no doubt armies of moaners on that Elektron thread as I type demanding their granular synths, MNM reissues and Octatrack MKIIIs they felt the marketing hyperbole promised!

But nice, great, smashing, cool etc. Seems like a logical (if not terribly exciting) move.

agree 100%
tioJim
bradpickapiper wrote:
Kind of a strange layout choice. “Let’s just smash a keyboard next to the digitone”
Wish they would have had things laid out above the keys with something closer to a knob per function.

It’s definitely ‘width’ that’s at a premium in my workspace (a hive of multi-tiered A frames) not ‘depth’. I’d be curious to know how it is for others.
oranginafiend
Good lord it's so ugly. It looks super cheap too with the thin plastic above the keys, kinda like a $25 midi keyboard.

Also why is elektron so resistant to putting out a Keys product with more than 37 keys. Especially on an 8-voice poly synth. It's so restrictive. You can buy a new Digitone and a new full-sized, full-featured midi keyboard for less than the price of this, and you'd only be missing the extra outputs unless I'm missing some other feature.

If they had gone for a 16-voice Digitone with 61 or 73 keys I'd be all over it. This is just kind of pointless IMO.
LameAim
It's... interesting. Individual outs are nice. I like the additional performance controls above the keyboard itself. The space around the mod wheels is odd, but must be to prevent unwanted interaction with the other buttons.

Thinking they should have bumped the polyphony upward for the keyboard version.

bradpickapiper wrote:

I see it as a bit of homage to the Monomachine keyboard, personally.
suboptimal
It makes me feel old to see all the reactions that reflect a lack of awareness of the original Monomachine.

Of course, the original Monomachine was a strange design choice then, and it's still a strange choice here.
oranginafiend
suboptimal wrote:
It makes me feel old to see all the reactions that reflect a lack of awareness of the original Monomachine.

Of course, the original Monomachine was a strange design choice then, and it's still a strange choice here.

I would think it's a choice made to save money on development and production. Rather than retool the controls to fit in a way that makes sense around a keyboard, they just took what they had, plopped a keyboard on one side and a mod + pitch wheel on the other, added a few buttons and called it a day. Probably much cheaper to develop and produce than a full reworking and redesigning of the controls above the keys. However, I don't see the cost savings passed on to the consumer. $550 extra for a 37-key keyboard and some extra outputs seems insulting to me. But a lot of elektron's design choices that relegate certain features to certain boxes while excluding them from others are insulting to me.

I like how the Digitone sounds though.
suboptimal
Sure, the cost savings analysis. But they design boutique musical instruments, not, I don't know, underpants for the mass market.

BTW this announcement has broken the Elektronauts forum. Let's hope it breaks it permanently and forces them to adopt a completely different platform there.
Eurocat
They’ve lost their creativity
astrodislocate
Was hoping "restrictions are for the dreamless" meant a firmware update that let you do more in depth fm, not a keyboard that restricts me to 37 frequencies.
calaveras
I had to knock my card out of my own hand to stop myself just now. Wait until Sweetwater has it and you can at least split payments over 3 months. Dont flatline your bank account for shiny new gear. You havent even gotten to the bottom of the menu on the last thing you bought!
Panason
LOL
SteeVtheRipper
This keyboard is sooooooo awkward looking lol. I kinda love it and kinda hate it. Nice to see them put out another keyboard instrument. I prefer the form factor of the Digitone box.
Panason
Individual outs confirm Overbridge is a mega fail, LELELELELEL Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson Drunken Homer Simpson
renderful
Portmanteau on my OG Digitone via the new OS, is the highlight of this release for me.
Rex Coil 7
anselmi
the SFX-6 was weird but lovely...a lovely machine full of mistery and mad science charm

this one is weird...period...

the old design worked well because of the Monomachine´s panel layout, that have some air between the buttons (and the aluminum panel also helps) but the digitone panel is crowded with buttons and this looks awful, stuck in the middle of this box...they should had redistribute all the buttons to balance the panel, using more of the wheels´ sector that have a lot of free space, instead of just stucked the whole Digitone panel as is, on it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3