MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Users of both STS Serge and Random Source Euro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Users of both STS Serge and Random Source Euro?
Gringo Starr
I’m just curious if anybody here has owned or spent time with both an STS Serge System and also Random Source Euro System. How close are these in function and sound?
diophantine
By "function" do you just mean range/response/etc. of modules, or do you also mean patchability, etc.?
Gringo Starr
diophantine wrote:
By "function" do you just mean range/response/etc. of modules, or do you also mean patchability, etc.?


Good question. I’d like to know as much user experience as possible.
anadeji
Hi Gringo!

I use both and have them in harmonious balance (the R*S euros assembled with bananas by the legendary drwiener), I can say that the R*S match and in many cases exceed the STS-built modules in sound and function, but the STS have a vibe about them... hard to quantify.

I think they are both superb. I use the euro to expand on my Creature V2 + Custom M-Class (Active Process, Variable Bandwidth, DUSG, Preamp Detect from the Animate panel).
jamb
anadeji wrote:
Hi Gringo!

I use both and have them in harmonious balance (the R*S euros assembled with bananas by the legendary drwiener), I can say that the R*S match and in many cases exceed the STS-built modules in sound and function, but the STS have a vibe about them... hard to quantify.

I think they are both superb. I use the euro to expand on my Creature V2 + Custom M-Class (Active Process, Variable Bandwidth, DUSG, Preamp Detect from the Animate panel).


lemme know if you ever wanna sell that custom m-class panel
verstaerker
i had some time ago an STS Animal ... wich I really liked.
Unfortunately I sold it and always regretted it.
So i was happy to see Random Source offering modules in Germany
and I got a system similar to the animal build

The sound is from memory and when comparing my old recordings very similar and uniquely Serge.
FatRocky
here you can see 3 different DUSG´s (all great and unique) including the STS, R*S , and awesome Loudest Warning new DUSG, that includes Cycling gate input, and the addition (on the top side) to switch the inverted output to the OR result from both slopes, and below, to switch the inverted output to the AND result of both slopes, very handy for modulations. Also the Feedback controls and shape switches.


christie
I have and use them both. Do you have specific questions?
The sounds typically end up in nearly the same place - at least with my euro modules there are some sonic differences but I'm not sure it's the serge modules or the other modules used to fill in the gaps - the euro mixers, vcas, etc. but in terms of the big 3 modules i use the most, DSG, SSG and Variable Q filter I've always been able to land where I want. Some things (like cycle switches) on r*s euro eliminate the need for some patch programming. Using stackables on the r*s euro *almost* gives you the banana jack feel, but with real bananas you can momentarily tap a jack to test or intermittently hear something. You can't do it with 3.5mm - the tip hits the ground on the jack first.
Also patching the euro modules ends up more cramped than the 4U, naturally
Gringo Starr
christie wrote:
Do you have specific questions?


I always thought STS VCA’s were quite special and had some power. Does the Random Source Stereo Mixer VCA have the same mojo as the STS VCA’s?
christie
Sorry, I don't have the r*s euro stereo mixer, I use Manhattan analog vca modules in that rack, along with intellijel uFade, azimuth and a malekko fade.

I have used first position of the wave multipliers as a vca and it's pretty gutsy.

I do wish there was a narrow euro r*s xfade. Not having one complicates things - I do love the simple 4U xfader.
sleestack808
So, The random source stuff is hand wired like sts?

Is it me or is there a massive price difference between STS and RS?
rico loverde
sleestack808 wrote:
So, The random source stuff is hand wired like sts?

Is it me or is there a massive price difference between STS and RS?
most of the RS is SMT with pcbs for Jacks and pots so barely any hand wiring.
luchog
FatRocky wrote:
here you can see 3 different DUSG´s (all great and unique) including the STS, R*S , and awesome Loudest Warning new DUSG, that includes Cycling gate input, and the addition (on the top side) to switch the inverted output to the OR result from both slopes, and below, to switch the inverted output to the AND result of both slopes, very handy for modulations. Also the Feedback controls and shape switches.


The R*S euro version of the DUSG is my personal favorite, 'cause it's the most flexible, what with the independent VC control over rise and fall, the pulse and BP outs, and it has a better layout than the 4U version. The switches I can live without, given that they don't really seem do anything that can't be patch-programmed, but they're convenient when using non-Stackcable patch cables. Bananas are easier to use and cheaper than Stackcables, though, which is a strong point in favour of the 4U version.

Each design/format has its strong and weak points. Ideally I'd like the R*S Euro layout/functionality in a 4U banana format; but obviously others will have different preferences.
FatRocky
luchog wrote:
FatRocky wrote:
here you can see 3 different DUSG´s (all great and unique) including the STS, R*S , and awesome Loudest Warning new DUSG, that includes Cycling gate input, and the addition (on the top side) to switch the inverted output to the OR result from both slopes, and below, to switch the inverted output to the AND result of both slopes, very handy for modulations. Also the Feedback controls and shape switches.


The R*S euro version of the DUSG is my personal favorite, 'cause it's the most flexible, what with the independent VC control over rise and fall, the pulse and BP outs, and it has a better layout than the 4U version. The switches I can live without, given that they don't really seem do anything that can't be patch-programmed, but they're convenient when using non-Stackcable patch cables. Bananas are easier to use and cheaper than Stackcables, though, which is a strong point in favour of the 4U version.

Each design/format has its strong and weak points. Ideally I'd like the R*S Euro layout/functionality in a 4U banana format; but obviously others will have different preferences.


The R*S euro versions have enough spacing to install bananas on them, I-ve seen a video of Darrin playing in the latest superbooth with the whole bunch of euros with nanas. It´s kind of clear to me that the new R*S Serge is more towards euro as i see. .

The banana is the one thing that made me move to 4u, actually the banana is the thing that makes the feel of an instrument. PAtching feels more organic with them. Just my opinion.

by the way , Everything ok with the orange 3u system?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group