MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
nectarios
Osk wrote:

Sonicstate video on the Mimeophone

Sounds good. Very playful it seems too.
It has some nice processing in the delay line, what I wished the 4ms Looping Delay had. In some ways this module appears to be influenced by it.

I think they heard the people not having to have the pitch effect when rate changes, but they also kept that option from the Echophon.
They left out the pitch shifter, which the Echophon has, so as much as it feels its a successor to the Echophon, they made different enough.

Good module this. They do seem to replace the mono stuff with stereo.
coolshirtdotjpg
12eightyfive wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I'm sort of glad this is a new thing, none of the MK2s have made me want to get rid of my originals, but man, if I had waited until now, I could have gotten my shared system a lot cheaper, haha.

Tony said something in a Perfect Circuit demo of the QPAS along the lines of how QPAS didn't replace anything in the Shared System, but that it and other coming stereo modules (Xpan, now this) may call for a new, more stereo-oriented system. Wonder if we'll see Echophon replaced now that there is a more obvious successor or if this is the end of the Black and gold Shared System?

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it. I think that some of us have just settled into what we think of as MK1 shared systems. The new stuff is very dense and powerful, but the mk1 is very raw and immediate. I think that it will be linked to a certain period of time/musical style. They will definitely need to spend a lot of time thinking how an updated shared system will work as an instrument, as a lot of the character came from the limitations of the early modules.
Virgil
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it.

About a month ago Tony said they consider the Shared System to be "complete" and thus are not going to change it.
tranter
Oh, what modules are in that Tape & Micro Sound Music Machine System?

Osk wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3YD8CksZg&fbclid=IwAR0eY011yVEAPKn1o mlhY5CewDRY_d13Lgw94qZv1nQeGYakKel7bF8wznw

Funky40
.....i barely remember, but i thought two years ago or so i saw Tony walking in my mind when i was asleep.
damn......... hihi

edit: daaamn, Walker must be a Brainwalker too lol
coolshirtdotjpg
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it.

About a month ago Tony said they consider the Shared System to be "complete" and thus are not going to change it.

So they are just going to keep producing echophons? That seems very doubtful. Their digital modules are nearing a decade old and DSP/general purpose chips have improved enormously in the past decade. It's pretty hard to imagine them selling a $4,500 system with out of date DSP (even though I like it) when they have brand new versions that they are probably producing at lower cost/greater reliability.
mdoudoroff
hawkfuzz wrote:
Definitely. I don't think any company should do what they don't want to do, if they've moved beyond the ideas.

They did some REVs that were received well, so I thought it could be updated if they discontinued it, because it seemed to be a great seller, but I could be wrong.

I've fallen in love with scanning and love the way that it implemented the idea.

If MN is walking away from the RxMx concept, I wouldn’t be surprised to see somebody else step into the void. Seems to me there’s untapped potential there to explore.
hawkfuzz
mdoudoroff wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:
Definitely. I don't think any company should do what they don't want to do, if they've moved beyond the ideas.

They did some REVs that were received well, so I thought it could be updated if they discontinued it, because it seemed to be a great seller, but I could be wrong.

I've fallen in love with scanning and love the way that it implemented the idea.

If MN is walking away from the RxMx concept, I wouldn’t be surprised to see somebody else step into the void. Seems to me there’s untapped potential there to explore.

Agreed. I've been using the Synapse for some time thinking that it was a successor the RxMx but it's a different beast with some crossover function, but implemented differently. The new Malekko VCA looks to have a blend of typical quad vcas and a scan function as well.
R.U.Nuts
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

So they are just going to keep producing echophons? That seems very doubtful. Their digital modules are nearing a decade old and DSP/general purpose chips have improved enormously in the past decade. It's pretty hard to imagine them selling a $4,500 system with out of date DSP (even though I like it) when they have brand new versions that they are probably producing at lower cost/greater reliability.

Well, the DPO stems from technology that was available in the '60s and tape- and BBD delays aren't obsolete because of digital delays either. Maybe in a decade we'll see hyper modern DSP effects with Echophon emulation algorythms zombie
Virgil
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

I agree. I remember Tony stressing what a different beast the MG is compared to the PG as part of the Shared System. It got swapped anyway. So I could imagine Echophon being next.
Junk Rhythm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

What makes a DSP out of date? I'm still using an effects processor that I purchased new in 2004 and it still sounds miles ahead of most processors coming out today. It uses the same DSP that was found in the majority of virtual analogs, samplers, drum machines and effects processors from that era as well as in the late 90s. Folks still hunt for old tech to add that extra flare to their sound. DSPs were reliable then just as they are today. Analog as a technology is decades out of date and everyone still goes crazy for it. Rarely does anything new with technology translate to a different result musically. I do agree that they will eventually stop producing the Echophon (as well other modules) but those decisions will be driven by market saturation more than out of date technology. When the demand slows down too much, the production stops.

Virgil wrote:

Nothing in modular is ever "complete" until the manufacturer goes out of business. As coolshirtdotjpg mentions, the Shared System has evolved with time. Evolution is what it takes to remain in business within the modular world and Make Noise has done a great job staying ahead of the curve.
pines
There were a lot of contortions to keep from calling it a delay.... I’m keeping my 2016 Shared System in its original state, other than the addition of brains and Tempi. I’m going to start a skiff to add in the new MN modules that I feel like I’ll gel with. I really do wish that they would do a few plain vanilla utility things and and some sort of 223e style touch controller though. I bought a B&G Ornament & Crime and loaded it with Hemispheres to fill in the gaps. The O&C will eventually live in the skiff.
southberry
So are they finally moving to full black and gold ? ....
ym2612
Virgil wrote:
I agree. I remember Tony stressing what a different beast the MG is compared to the PG as part of the Shared System. It got swapped anyway. So I could imagine Echophon being next.

They may not keep producing every module, but I like that they aren't just making v2.0 versions of older modules. An Echophon is still an Echophon and Mimeophone is not an Echophon, so there's not a direct path of obsolescence, even if people dropped Echophons like chopped liver as soon as Chronoblob (and later DLD) came out.
monoscan
Osk wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3YD8CksZg&fbclid=IwAR0eY011yVEAPKn1o mlhY5CewDRY_d13Lgw94qZv1nQeGYakKel7bF8wznw

I didn’t expect to see a video posted so quickly before MN made an official announcement. This looks incredible.
rew_
pines wrote:
There were a lot of contortions to keep from calling it a delay....

yeah "it is a stereo multi-zone color audio repeater" is really a galaxy-brain way of avoiding "it's an delay module"

I mean, it's a delay module that seems like it has some cool spice added in but it's definitely a delay module.
Virgil
southberry wrote:

Yes. They stated a while ago there won't be silver panel versions of new modules.
forrest
Dayamm I love the design and ideas presented but it seems a little too chaotic for my purposes, very happy they're making everything black/gold.
cackland
rew_ wrote:
pines wrote:
There were a lot of contortions to keep from calling it a delay....

yeah "it is a stereo multi-zone color audio repeater" is really a galaxy-brain way of avoiding "it's an delay module"

I mean, it's a delay module that seems like it has some cool spice added in but it's definitely a delay module.

Id probably classify this as the successor of echophon, in more ways than one.
ym2612
rew_ wrote:

Yeah, that's Make Noise for you. hihi
pedalhead
southberry wrote:

yet they still refuse to sell you a black panel for modules you already have that are now produced in black.
nios
Did they say anything about price/availability? Don't recall hearing it yet in the couple vids posted. Got my ready..
starthief
ym2612 wrote:
rew_ wrote:

Yeah, that's Make Noise for you. hihi

I was waiting to see if Walker managed to get through the whole thing without saying "delay" at all. He didn't quite. Mr. Green
Parnelli
Dang, now I'm bummed because I was thinking about another stereo processor and now there's this! I'll have to rethink things now!

I really love working in a stereo field. I got started with my Disting mk4 and the ping pong delay. I use a 2hp Verb to create lush deep stereo fields of drone that I like to bounce things around it, so I picked up a WMD SSF DPLR and really like it as well, but I'm looking for one more device to tie it all together, this might just be it!

Anxiously awaiting videos, but I already like what I heard on the Superbooth video... thumbs up
mother misty
nios wrote:
Did they say anything about price/availability? Don't recall hearing it yet in the couple vids posted. Got my ready..

Nothing on the price yet, Walker did mention pre-orders start at the end of the month and shipping end of summer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 2 of 18