New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 am

I wrote this off listening to the rather uninformative Superbooth demos, but became aware of it again after I heard a demo of it last night, and goddamn. It does sound good. Anyone need a kidney? :lol:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:22 am

building off of funk's questions, which CV inputs do NOT accept negative voltages? I'm confused that Rate, Zone, and Color have attenuverters but their CV inputs are described as accepting 0-5VDC. and I would be surprised if any CV inputs clamped negative voltages on a new Make Noise design.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:31 am

Funky40 wrote: my first patch will be a ping/trigger into the Haible frequenzy shifter then into the mimeophone :party:
donne that:

trigger into Freq shifter into mimeophone:.....with X-tra wiggling on the "mimi" for X-tra demo fun:
first 2-3 bars is the dry signal (mimi set to dry).
https://soundcloud.com/punky-demos/96t-fs_jm7_0

ONLY wiggling with the "mimi".....extra wiggling for X-tra demo Fun ;)
NO additional Reverb. ALL reverb effects is the "mimi".
Has allways a zdsp at the end (reverb used as another resonator, NOT used as a verb)
.....some more modules were used to blow the naked trigger up to "a sound".
for example another FS in the feedback path of the first FS

(jpg is my balcony 3 years ago / i do NOT smoke !! )
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
Basimilus Iteritas mkI: 180chf / Plaits OG: 150.- / WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:35 am

autopoiesis wrote:building off of funk's questions, which CV inputs do NOT accept negative voltages? I'm confused that Rate, Zone, and Color have attenuverters but their CV inputs are described as accepting 0-5VDC. and I would be surprised if any CV inputs clamped negative voltages on a new Make Noise design.
seems i was wrong.......!
i edited my post.

looking today at this, it looked today all different then at my first testing out attempts..........no clue why.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
Basimilus Iteritas mkI: 180chf / Plaits OG: 150.- / WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Funky40 wrote: seems i was wrong.......!
huh, my confusion is now entirely complete.......
experiencing it again "somewhow" differently. But ok, i think i get it now ;)

since i might have caused confusion would it be good if MN HQ would put some "very clear" explanations down.
(to me the manual is not clear enough on this, since my first impression was based on the manual, and even backed by the manual)

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:01 pm

autopoiesis wrote:building off of funk's questions, which CV inputs do NOT accept negative voltages? I'm confused that Rate, Zone, and Color have attenuverters but their CV inputs are described as accepting 0-5VDC. and I would be surprised if any CV inputs clamped negative voltages on a new Make Noise design.
Those numbers represent the total range of the parameter. The CV input is added to the voltage set by the panel control. For example if panel control is set to 3V, you could use CV anywhere from -3V to +2V before clipping it.

Edit: this addition takes place after any input attenuation. So in the above example you could use a +-5V LFO, say, and attenuate it to the desired depth.
:hobbes:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:59 am

got it, thanks!

my only reservation at this point, besides deprecation of silver panels by MN, is that you can't clear the buffer manually. I can see plenty of scenarios where I don't want "what I was doing in zone 1 one bar ago to show up in zone 3", as interesting as that may be when you want to intentionally work with the nested buffers.

hoping for a quick-clear button combo tbh

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:05 pm

VortexRanger wrote:
Those numbers represent the total range of the parameter. The CV input is added to the voltage set by the panel control. For example if panel control is set to 3V, you could use CV anywhere from -3V to +2V before clipping it.
I say its more than just that. Its not consistent throughout......my last standing :lol:
You might want to consider to go over the manual in that regard and to make this all really clear. In your and our interests.

the module is quite deep, it was quite confusing and time consuming to go over all this CV input behaves.
(while the mimi was patched to make music)

and please add a button combo for buffer erase !

Hezza11
Common Wiggler

Post by Hezza11 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Got some 2hp Drums today and ran them through the mimeophon. Stayed in the first 2 zones while manually wiggling various knobs. Shitty phone audio and I was filming the dum modules not the mimeophon, but was loving the the comb/karplus/feedback effects.

[video][/video]

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm happy to report that the Mimeophon plays nicely in series with other delays. I took Magneto out for my case for... about two weeks, but there's no way I can really live without either.

This is a single MI Stages in harmonic oscillator mode, into QPAS, into Magneto, then into Mimeophon.

[video][/video]

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:10 pm

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Very nice track, ggillon! :tu:

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:57 am

Thank you! Everything on this module sounds great. The feedback can generate really nice tones easily.

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:42 am

ggillon wrote:Mimeophon... dubwise :hail:

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/i-and-i
Hi GGillon,

is this only Mimeophon for the dubchords?

Best

Uwe

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

[video][/video]

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Bionecteur wrote:
ggillon wrote:Mimeophon... dubwise :hail:

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/i-and-i
Hi GGillon,

is this only Mimeophon for the dubchords?

Best

Uwe
I wish but no. Mimeophon takes care of the bassline, with the modulated rate creating those nice evolving feedback loops. Dub chords are handled more traditionally by pedals: Meris Polymoon for delay and Mercury7 for reverb.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:39 am

I know I'm late to the party but I can't find it in store anywhere in Europe. Does anyone know a store that still has any?

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:51 am

Mend wrote:I know I'm late to the party but I can't find it in store anywhere in Europe. Does anyone know a store that still has any?
If you are desperate, foundsound.com.au has them (Australia though)
https://foundsound.com.au/collections/f ... ucts/12248

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:58 am

cackland wrote:
Mend wrote:I know I'm late to the party but I can't find it in store anywhere in Europe. Does anyone know a store that still has any?
If you are desperate, foundsound.com.au has them (Australia though)
https://foundsound.com.au/collections/f ... ucts/12248
Thanks. But I'd rather order from a European dealer so I can deduct taxes :)

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:44 am

You won't find it in stock in Europe but most shop will deliver it in a month or less wich is pretty normal for new Make Noise modules at launch

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orange » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 am

ggillon wrote:You won't find it in stock in Europe but most shop will deliver it in a month or less wich is pretty normal for new Make Noise modules at launch
I hope so. :hyper:
Thomann.de mentions 7-8 weeks though. :hmm:

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 am

Try musicstore then. It's where I bought mine and it took around 3 weeks

bommelito
Common Wiggler

Post by bommelito » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:47 am

ggillon wrote:Try musicstore then. It's where I bought mine and it took around 3 weeks
estimated delivery from Musicstore is 11.11.2019. Looks like we Europeans have to wait until then :cry:

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:00 am

Starting with firmware version MP70, the Mimeophon will let us instantly empty the sound out of all Zones by setting Mix and Repeats both fully counterclockwise.

Get it here:
http://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/mimeophon

[video][/video]

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:07 am

:banana:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”