New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am

bommelito wrote:
ggillon wrote:Try musicstore then. It's where I bought mine and it took around 3 weeks
estimated delivery from Musicstore is 11.11.2019. Looks like we Europeans have to wait until then :cry:
:sadbanana:

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Buffer clear firmware upgrade works flawlessly :yay:
*phnert*

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm diggin' my Mimeophone but the one thing that irritates me is I can't get it to lock a loop with the hold button engaged that stays in time when a clock is sent to it. Anyone else having any issues with this? I've tried for a bit to get this to work and no luck.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Thank you for the buffer clear update.

Am I the only one who thinks that clearing of the buffer could be better instantiated through a ‘press and hold’ of a single or multiple buttons? Feel that would be a better interface decision than having to turn two knobs CCW. Unless MN has other update plans for the use of button combos..

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 pm

For those wondering also, Tom messaged me and mentioned the request to clear the buffer over cv (which I clearly missed). So it makes sense to utilize button combos for other user requests that make sense to the ui.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:37 pm

cackland wrote: Am I the only one who thinks that clearing of the buffer could be better instantiated through a ‘press and hold’ of a single or multiple buttons?.
turning knobs to clear the buffer means one has to "de-adjust" an existing patch...........i find this unnecessary counter-functional.
I guess to "keep options open" was here the factor with the higher priority.
Much thanks for the update anyway !

on another note:
i have usually triggers going to the reverse* input. (* ahh wait, its a "flip" .....not a reverse.....)
(manually) pressing "freeze" *is affected* and in that sense disturbed by this flip trigger.
no proper manual jamming possible for me.
An update on this would be VERY welcome !....in case that this is doable ?
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:28 am

If one didn't want to "de-adjust" an existing patch as FUNKY40 put it...

One way could be to use an inverted gate to the mix and repeats CV inputs. Then the knobs could stay where they are assuming that other CVs were not patched in those CV inputs....

If there were other CVs needed in those inputs as well as the occasional inverted gate for clearing, then I bet there would be a way to do that as well...Mixers come to mind... Logic modules?

I'm sure there are other ways, eh? What would you do?
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

jsp549
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jsp549 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:34 pm

909one wrote:I'm diggin' my Mimeophone but the one thing that irritates me is I can't get it to lock a loop with the hold button engaged that stays in time when a clock is sent to it. Anyone else having any issues with this? I've tried for a bit to get this to work and no luck.
Same thing or something similar happened to me while i was patching earlier. In Zone 3 or 4 I've noticed that the looping gets a bit sloppy. I also might have been in reverse mode too?

I also can't remember, but I think while Hold was engage the rate of the delay was also changing? Everytime the clock pulse hit the rate would instantly speed up, slow down, and then speed up again when another pulse hit.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:05 pm

jsp549 wrote:
909one wrote:I'm diggin' my Mimeophone but the one thing that irritates me is I can't get it to lock a loop with the hold button engaged that stays in time when a clock is sent to it. Anyone else having any issues with this? I've tried for a bit to get this to work and no luck.
Same thing or something similar happened to me while i was patching earlier. In Zone 3 or 4 I've noticed that the looping gets a bit sloppy. I also might have been in reverse mode too?

I also can't remember, but I think while Hold was engage the rate of the delay was also changing? Everytime the clock pulse hit the rate would instantly speed up, slow down, and then speed up again when another pulse hit.
Yeah there's something screwy with the Hold.

nuttymad
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuttymad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:51 pm

I’m getting a fair amount of noise when clocking mimeophon via the sync input. It gets really really noticeable while in zones 0-1 with rate knob clockwise. Its almost like it switches on and becomes present when I turn the zone knob CW to zone 0. You can also hear an audible click. I’ve tried different clocks at different speeds. I was hoping other users could chime in and tell me this is normal.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:37 pm

nuttymad wrote:I’m getting a fair amount of noise when clocking mimeophon via the sync input. It gets really really noticeable while in zones 0-1 with rate knob clockwise. Its almost like it switches on and becomes present when I turn the zone knob CW to zone 0. You can also hear an audible click. I’ve tried different clocks at different speeds. I was hoping other users could chime in and tell me this is normal.
With Repeats turned up enough, noise does accumulate. With Repeats low I get no noise regardless of any other settings.

Clocking doesn't make any difference for me.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:43 pm

are there certain clock sources that are not compatible? i'm specifically wondering about the outs straight from the a-160....

really excited about using this module

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Post by makenoise » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:58 am

Gate the Mimeophon's HOLD input to create stutter, jitter, and glitch effects, and to dynamically trap Repeats in time loops!

[video][/video]

jayrope
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jayrope » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:04 pm

makenoise wrote:Starting with firmware version MP70, the Mimeophon will let us instantly empty the sound out of all Zones by setting Mix and Repeats both fully counterclockwise.
That's good news already. I can't find any info on HOW to update the firmware though. EDIT: Unstuff downloaded archive to see update instructions ;)
Last edited by jayrope on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayrope
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jayrope » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:06 pm

makenoise wrote:Gate the Mimeophon's HOLD input to create stutter, jitter, and glitch effects, and to dynamically trap Repeats in time loops!

The stutter/hold is very useful. Is there any chance you are going to implement an alternate mode, that would let me PITCH the delay buffer, when hold is on, and simply upon turning the rate dial?

Basically turning rate to tape speed = pitch?

Thanx in advance!

jayrope
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jayrope » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:42 pm

ggillon wrote:
jayrope wrote:Got mine today.
• Signal in buffer doesn't pitch when on hold. What a pity (just for that feature I was looking again for a replacement of an early 90s digital delay which is a permanent companion to my live sets)!
Get an Echophon next to your mime ;) The echophon does it
Echophon doesn't pitch like a tape, but that is what i am looking for. Vintage delays, sde-2000 etc all work like this, no warping or other interpolation of sorts, just simple sample rate change. very effective.

Bjarlstedt
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarlstedt » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 am

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 am

Now that the dust has settled;
can this delay get into the haptic tape echo territory?
How does subtle modulation of the colouring settings sound?

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 am

Rost + Licht wrote:How does subtle modulation of the colouring settings sound?
differences are subtle. I have a hard time hearing variation in the color knob with even un-subtle modulation. Come to think of it, maybe that's my own hearing loss doing that. I think I've lost hearing in frequencies most affected by "brightness" variation.

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:42 pm

ckwjr wrote:
Rost + Licht wrote:How does subtle modulation of the colouring settings sound?
differences are subtle. I have a hard time hearing variation in the color knob with even un-subtle modulation. Come to think of it, maybe that's my own hearing loss doing that. I think I've lost hearing in frequencies most affected by "brightness" variation.
The color parameter is far from subtle. It's like a low pass filter. Set the mix to fully wet and you will realize how much it changes the repeats. Unless you can only hear lower frequencies now you should definitely hear something.

Of course if the mix isn't 100% wet it's more difficult to hear it because you still have all the frequencies of the original signal in the mix

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:57 pm

That must be it. I've been keeping it throttled to about 20%.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 am

Anyone else have this strange behavior; I find the Mimeophon a little noisy, but strangely it gets less white noisy as I move from Dry to Wet (wet settings are no repeats, no halo & color set to middle).

:hmm:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Mashmore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mashmore » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 am

OHEXOH wrote:Anyone else have this strange behavior; I find the Mimeophon a little noisy, but strangely it gets less white noisy as I move from Dry to Wet (wet settings are no repeats, no halo & color set to middle).

:hmm:
I’ve got a touch of the morphagene type digital floor noise at times as well. I can usually gain stage and get most of it out of the mix. But yeah mine seems to have a slight noise as well.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 am

I specifically checked for that because someone else had mentioned it previously. I've got no noticeable noise when dry, and noise that accumulates when it's wet and repeats are high.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:I'm happy to report that the Mimeophon plays nicely in series with other delays. I took Magneto out for my case for... about two weeks, but there's no way I can really live without either.

This is a single MI Stages in harmonic oscillator mode, into QPAS, into Magneto, then into Mimeophon.

[video][/video]

This is really beautiful. Especially the Part starting after 2 min. :yay:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”