MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
Buyakasoundman
yrn1 wrote:
My kids are noisy. Manufacturer ignores my complaints...

applause
tommygee
tommygee wrote:
I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.

Today I heard back from Make Noise, it seems it is not a software issue, and I'll have to send the Mphon over to them Dead Banana
hawkfuzz
digidandy wrote:
Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.

This mentality that a manufacture needs to scan through every topic on the internet about their product confuses me.

Emailing the company is the best way to probe a response time and awareness.
starthief
tommygee wrote:
I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.

OK, now that you have shared this example: I can duplicate it via questionable gain staging.

Sine VCO through Tallin, with a decay envelope being clocked. I set the level on Tallin so the signal is about 1VPP max, and run that direct into an ES-6. Then in my DAW I boost that input by +24dB. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

If I don't run it through Mimeophon, I hear no noise.

If I run it through Mimeophon, I hear some soft noise that appears to be gated inside of Mimeophon itself. Minimum repeats, Mix fully dry or fully wet (as long as Color isn't set so low that it filters out the noise).

If I go to about 4VPP on my audio signal and boost in the DAW by +12dB, the noise isn't very noticeable.

If I go 10VPP on my audio signal, like I tend to, and don't boost it in the DAW... no noise smile

So yeah. There's a noise floor in Mimeophon that you can hear with the mix fully dry, and the module gates it. But it's also very much a question of gain staging.
tommygee
starthief wrote:
tommygee wrote:

OK, now that you have shared this example: I can duplicate it via questionable gain staging.

Sine VCO through Tallin, with a decay envelope being clocked. I set the level on Tallin so the signal is about 1VPP max, and run that direct into an ES-6. Then in my DAW I boost that input by +24dB. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

If I don't run it through Mimeophon, I hear no noise.

If I run it through Mimeophon, I hear some soft noise that appears to be gated inside of Mimeophon itself. Minimum repeats, Mix fully dry or fully wet (as long as Color isn't set so low that it filters out the noise).

If I go to about 4VPP on my audio signal and boost in the DAW by +12dB, the noise isn't very noticeable.

If I go 10VPP on my audio signal, like I tend to, and don't boost it in the DAW... no noise smile

So yeah. There's a noise floor in Mimeophon that you can hear with the mix fully dry, and the module gates it. But it's also very much a question of gain staging.

Thanks for the input. However I made sure that my gain staging was perfect before I did any conclusions.
Carci
I'm OK with the noise when it's drowned in the effect but it's a shame we can hear it on the dry signal.
I guess I could fix it by having a crossfader next to the mimeophon to do the dry/wet. But that's annoying.

I imagine this is not something that can be fixed with software.
exper
This is worrisome. I've always used the mimeophon with a aux send/return and wet/dry fully wet, but I'll have to take a closer look at it. If I recall, the erbe-verb I had also was noisy on the dry side as well...
starthief
tommygee wrote:
Thanks for the input. However I made sure that my gain staging was perfect before I did any conclusions.

I guess units vary then, or it's something to do with power, or... it's Eurorack, who knows?

Ironically enough I tend to embrace noise and artifacts in my recordings (there's PT delay noise crawling all over everything I've done lately). I'd probably be totally fine with a noisy Mimeophon, but mine's nearly pristine unless I misuse it.
tommygee
hawkfuzz wrote:
digidandy wrote:
Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.

This mentality that a manufacture needs to scan through every topic on the internet about their product confuses me.

Yes emailing them is the way - Make Noise has been responding super fast.
Orange
hawkfuzz wrote:
digidandy wrote:

There are tools for this. Big Brother is watchin’ ..... Mr. Green
Funky40
power/psu situation IS allways a factor in euroland !
also which modules are neighbours.
which makes it also very hard for a manufacturer to be certain on that aspect.

my Main rack IS a noisy one.
need to check vs. the mimi when my rack is free again for such test.
My uses with the Mimi are anyway not critical vs. some noise hihi
yrn1
Just received mine. It is indeed VERY noisy. More so on the dry side. There also seems to be a noise gate in there: with no input at all, it is kinda noisy, but with barely audible input, you hear the noise kicking in massively. Of course, ‘massively’ is all relative, but compared to, let’s say, a Z-DSP, which is not entirely silent either, the mimeophon is very noisy.
I’m contemplating sending it back...
bemushroomed
So i guess i wait for the updated version.. was looking forward to this module and almost pre-ordered, glad i didn't..

seems a bit sloppy to not test it more (in more racks etc). These things must be very costly for these rather small manufacturers.
Mend
Can confirm. Just got the Mimeophon. Dry signal is quite noisy. Not sure if this is fixable. Bit of a letdown, cause I LOVE the module. Really don't think it has anything to do with my case as other modules just don't have that issue. Contemplating what to do. It's super fun to play with, and honestly I don't know if they can really do something about it. I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side. I think it's just something in these modules. Not trying to be negative, just wondering if this can be improved in the future.
johny_gtr
Which PSU and busboards do you use?
Anyway, I hope that new pcb revision will be without any noise artefacts.
nectarios
Mend wrote:
... I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side...

Is the mimeophone more noisy than the Erbe-Verb? Cause I remember the EV being noisy as well.
Mend
johny_gtr wrote:
Which PSU and busboards do you use?
Anyway, I hope that new pcb revision will be without any noise artefacts.
I've got the MDLR PWR Busboard and PSU.

Have to say that taking my Roland 521 out of the chain in front of Mimeophon improved things a bit. Have to do some more testing. But maybe Mimeophon needs a good preamp or less modules in front of it. I was running my signal like this: Sampledrum > Roland 521 > Mimeophon. Now it's just Sampledrum > Mimeophon and it's a little better.

Quite sure the samples I was playing in my Sampledrum are pretty clean.
nectarios wrote:
Mend wrote:
... I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side...

Is the mimeophone more noisy than the Erbe-Verb? Cause I remember the EV being noisy as well.
Can't speak for everyone. But it seems similar. The wetter the signal, the cleaner it becomes, for me at least. And turning 'color' down helps. But ideally I wouldn't want to have to adjust settings just to get rid of noise.
Mend
Done some further testing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RT2HAYOIzJv9x2RiMlCfUCemj4_Fs9SF/view  ?usp=sharing

It's really not bad at all when I run Omnisphere out of my interface and run it directly into Mimeophon. The first few seconds is Omnisphere dry. There's a bit of a delay on it already. Mimeophon starts at around 45 seconds. There's some crackling in the wav, but that's because I was driving the signal a bit louder than I should have. Pretty damn cool module.

Maybe I was a bit quick to judge after having some noise issues with Erbe-verb myself and reading about noise issues with Mimeophon. It does get noisy from time to time, but mostly when playing with my Roland 521. So maybe my filter isn't as clean as I'd like it to be and Mimeophon shines a light on it? Gotta do some more testing but despite some early worries I AM having fun with it.

Sorry if this has turned people off from buying. I guess you have to try it for yourself.
vnsc
I've done some super non-scientific testing of the noise floor and I have no issues with proper gain staging. FWIW, I have not updated the FW to the latest yet.

Aside from that... this thing is a dream. Initially I was attracted because of the modeless flexibility (I love a modulatable delay that can do chorus and karplus) and the wide range of delay times. But truly, having the ability to switch zones and clock the rate to change without doppler effects is the most amazing thing of all. Easy to glitch things, create interlocking rhythms, texturize timbres, mirror and bounce things around...

It's also the perfect other half to Morphagene. With the right patching you can bounce loops back and forth, spatializing, texturizing, and harmonizing, like a crazy mutant digital tape space station. Using morpha as a harmonized delay for a melodic sequence into filters and mimeophon creates some of the most interesting, dynamic and evolving 'shimmer' type effects I have ever heard. Super cool!
starthief
As a probably useless data point, my trouble-free Mimeophon is in a MDLRCASE studio case, with their branded busboards and a pair of Meanwell RT65B PSUs... nothing fancy.
Nutritional Zero
I’m good in an Intellijel case and also Make Noise’s performance case. No issues to report.
ggillon
No noise issue here either with the MN shared system. This thing is so cool I use it all the time. I love the integrated, reverb and filter.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/night-noise-pt2[/s]
Besfar
I just got the module, and the noisefloor is really loud.
Also on 100% dry.
Have the tiptop 252 case.

Module is cool, but will not be able to use it in studio work im afraid. Maybe industrial hihi

Though i have to add, the noise is a really cool noise. Like a broken steam pipe.
If you saw the sonicstate alessandro cortini special where his buchla sounds broken. Or the noise from the eraserhead movie. That noise. Nice nanners

But id rather it was quiet hihi
Besfar
[quote="Mend"]
johny_gtr wrote:
Can't speak for everyone. But it seems similar. The wetter the signal, the cleaner it becomes, for me at least. And turning 'color' down helps. But ideally I wouldn't want to have to adjust settings just to get rid of noise.

Same. More wet = less broken steampipe. Just regular noise on full wet.
Besfar
Update:

For reasons that are beyond me, my soundcard is not picking up the noise from the same output/signal chain/settings as when i listen directly. No noise gate.
I dont understand, and i dont want to think about it. Just happy smile
So seems i can use this in the studio after all.

Great!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 17 of 18