New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:02 pm

power/psu situation IS allways a factor in euroland !
also which modules are neighbours.
which makes it also very hard for a manufacturer to be certain on that aspect.

my Main rack IS a noisy one.
need to check vs. the mimi when my rack is free again for such test.
My uses with the Mimi are anyway not critical vs. some noise :hihi:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
Basimilus Iteritas mkI: 180chf / Plaits OG: 150.- / WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:37 am

Just received mine. It is indeed VERY noisy. More so on the dry side. There also seems to be a noise gate in there: with no input at all, it is kinda noisy, but with barely audible input, you hear the noise kicking in massively. Of course, ‘massively’ is all relative, but compared to, let’s say, a Z-DSP, which is not entirely silent either, the mimeophon is very noisy.
I’m contemplating sending it back...

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:44 am

So i guess i wait for the updated version.. was looking forward to this module and almost pre-ordered, glad i didn't..

seems a bit sloppy to not test it more (in more racks etc). These things must be very costly for these rather small manufacturers.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Can confirm. Just got the Mimeophon. Dry signal is quite noisy. Not sure if this is fixable. Bit of a letdown, cause I LOVE the module. Really don't think it has anything to do with my case as other modules just don't have that issue. Contemplating what to do. It's super fun to play with, and honestly I don't know if they can really do something about it. I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side. I think it's just something in these modules. Not trying to be negative, just wondering if this can be improved in the future.

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Which PSU and busboards do you use?
Anyway, I hope that new pcb revision will be without any noise artefacts.
my psychdelic ambient - http://ovod.bandcamp.com -new LP on vinyl here

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Mend wrote:... I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side...
Is the mimeophone more noisy than the Erbe-Verb? Cause I remember the EV being noisy as well.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:30 pm

johny_gtr wrote:Which PSU and busboards do you use?
Anyway, I hope that new pcb revision will be without any noise artefacts.
I've got the MDLR PWR Busboard and PSU.

Have to say that taking my Roland 521 out of the chain in front of Mimeophon improved things a bit. Have to do some more testing. But maybe Mimeophon needs a good preamp or less modules in front of it. I was running my signal like this: Sampledrum > Roland 521 > Mimeophon. Now it's just Sampledrum > Mimeophon and it's a little better.

Quite sure the samples I was playing in my Sampledrum are pretty clean.
nectarios wrote:
Mend wrote:... I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side...
Is the mimeophone more noisy than the Erbe-Verb? Cause I remember the EV being noisy as well.
Can't speak for everyone. But it seems similar. The wetter the signal, the cleaner it becomes, for me at least. And turning 'color' down helps. But ideally I wouldn't want to have to adjust settings just to get rid of noise.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Done some further testing:

It's really not bad at all when I run Omnisphere out of my interface and run it directly into Mimeophon. The first few seconds is Omnisphere dry. There's a bit of a delay on it already. Mimeophon starts at around 45 seconds. There's some crackling in the wav, but that's because I was driving the signal a bit louder than I should have. Pretty damn cool module.

Maybe I was a bit quick to judge after having some noise issues with Erbe-verb myself and reading about noise issues with Mimeophon. It does get noisy from time to time, but mostly when playing with my Roland 521. So maybe my filter isn't as clean as I'd like it to be and Mimeophon shines a light on it? Gotta do some more testing but despite some early worries I AM having fun with it.

Sorry if this has turned people off from buying. I guess you have to try it for yourself.

vnsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vnsc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:41 pm

I've done some super non-scientific testing of the noise floor and I have no issues with proper gain staging. FWIW, I have not updated the FW to the latest yet.

Aside from that... this thing is a dream. Initially I was attracted because of the modeless flexibility (I love a modulatable delay that can do chorus and karplus) and the wide range of delay times. But truly, having the ability to switch zones and clock the rate to change without doppler effects is the most amazing thing of all. Easy to glitch things, create interlocking rhythms, texturize timbres, mirror and bounce things around...

It's also the perfect other half to Morphagene. With the right patching you can bounce loops back and forth, spatializing, texturizing, and harmonizing, like a crazy mutant digital tape space station. Using morpha as a harmonized delay for a melodic sequence into filters and mimeophon creates some of the most interesting, dynamic and evolving 'shimmer' type effects I have ever heard. Super cool!
http://vaultofstars.com
Music, Art, Photography, Design, Video, Gear, Words

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:29 pm

As a probably useless data point, my trouble-free Mimeophon is in a MDLRCASE studio case, with their branded busboards and a pair of Meanwell RT65B PSUs... nothing fancy.
"music... a weird bunch of sounds that had no point but made things feel a little better"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm

I’m good in an Intellijel case and also Make Noise’s performance case. No issues to report.

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 pm

No noise issue here either with the MN shared system. This thing is so cool I use it all the time. I love the integrated, reverb and filter.

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/night-noise-pt2

Besfar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Besfar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:27 am

I just got the module, and the noisefloor is really loud.
Also on 100% dry.
Have the tiptop 252 case.

Module is cool, but will not be able to use it in studio work im afraid. Maybe industrial :hihi:

Though i have to add, the noise is a really cool noise. Like a broken steam pipe.
If you saw the sonicstate alessandro cortini special where his buchla sounds broken. Or the noise from the eraserhead movie. That noise. Nice :nana:

But id rather it was quiet :hihi:

Besfar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Besfar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 am

Mend wrote:
johny_gtr wrote:Can't speak for everyone. But it seems similar. The wetter the signal, the cleaner it becomes, for me at least. And turning 'color' down helps. But ideally I wouldn't want to have to adjust settings just to get rid of noise.
Same. More wet = less broken steampipe. Just regular noise on full wet.

Besfar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Besfar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Update:

For reasons that are beyond me, my soundcard is not picking up the noise from the same output/signal chain/settings as when i listen directly. No noise gate.
I dont understand, and i dont want to think about it. Just happy :)
So seems i can use this in the studio after all.

Great!

ggillon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ggillon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:13 am

A bit of noodling with the morphagene feeding the mimephon

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/gates-and-mirrors

I also had a lot of fun sending it speech bits played in reverse by the morphagene and then the mimeophone flipping them again to play properly in the echoes

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 am

This is a very fun module!

Here is used it in self oscillating mode and cv-ing some stuff.
Click on image for video.

Image[/url]

jayrope
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jayrope » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:03 pm

vnsc wrote:... having the ability to switch zones and clock the rate to change without doppler effects is the most amazing thing of all. ...
Mimeophon is pretty great for all kinds of things, though
personally i am very much missing the typical vintage mode, that directly relates clock rate to buffer pitch, especially when hold is on.

I wrote to Make Noise about this weeks ago, but they didn't respond to that.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:49 pm

sendepause wrote:This is a very fun module!

Here is used it in self oscillating mode and cv-ing some stuff.
Click on image for video.

Image[/url]
The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:42 pm

After a few weeks of ownership, I find myself gelling very well with it, but realize I need a new skiff to house my dear Echophon, which the Mim was SUPPOSED to replace, but I can't bring myself to part with. :waah:
*phnert*

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:02 am

is there any kind of final word on the noise floor at dry? all I can gather is that some modules are noisier than others, that power supply may or may not be a factor, and that in at least one case the noise is no longer present when the audio is passed through an audio interface (???)

really want to jump on this but am reluctant to end up with a module that might require servicing in the US

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:39 am

autopoiesis wrote:is there any kind of final word on the noise floor at dry? all I can gather is that some modules are noisier than others, that power supply may or may not be a factor, and that in at least one case the noise is no longer present when the audio is passed through an audio interface (???)

really want to jump on this but am reluctant to end up with a module that might require servicing in the US
I can only talk about my own module/system, but I do not see the noise as a problem, and agree with some others here that it can be avoided with attention to gain staging.

If I route the Mimephon dry into a stereo channel of the WMD Performance mixer, noise just becomes audible when I push the fader to around 65%. This is with the master volume of the mixer at max and my monitors a good bit louder than I normally have them. In contrast, Plaits or Rubicon into the same channel is "too loud" with the fader at 45-50%. The noise is not enough to register on the PM's dBu meter even at -24dBu with the fader 100% up.

The thing to avoid is going to be putting a quiet signal into the Mimephon and then adding gain/heavy compression w/low threshold to it's output which would raise the level of the noise as well. Good news is that adjusting the gain on the module doesn't seem to affect the noise at all .

System: 2x Intellijel 7U 104HP, skiff with Intellijel TPS30MAX power.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Maybe there was a bad/mislabeled batch of parts? I'm seeing people say they tried several units at a shop and they were all noisy.

For what it's worth, I consider mine well-behaved; its serial number is 919, and I bought it from Nerd Audio at KnobCon.

With very quiet input signals and gain increased later in the chain, I can hear some gated white noise -- but it is NOT louder (nor quieter) when the mix knob is set to dry.
"music... a weird bunch of sounds that had no point but made things feel a little better"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?

sendepause
Common Wiggler

Post by sendepause » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:18 am

cackland wrote:
The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?
Not so much actually. It's just like it says on the FB page: "We are a small eurorack company based in Amsterdam. We are currently busy prototyping and designing our very first few eurorack modules and accessories."

It's just one guy doing stuff. I got this from him as a present and is use it mostly as an aux sent to FX.
He also made a very nice filter. I know he just got a kid so not sure how busy he is with designing modules at the moment ;-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”