MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Author New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
ggillon
A bit of noodling with the morphagene feeding the mimephon

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/gates-and-mirrors[/s]

I also had a lot of fun sending it speech bits played in reverse by the morphagene and then the mimeophone flipping them again to play properly in the echoes
sendepause
This is a very fun module!

Here is used it in self oscillating mode and cv-ing some stuff.
Click on image for video.

[/url]
jayrope
vnsc wrote:
... having the ability to switch zones and clock the rate to change without doppler effects is the most amazing thing of all. ...


Mimeophon is pretty great for all kinds of things, though
personally i am very much missing the typical vintage mode, that directly relates clock rate to buffer pitch, especially when hold is on.

I wrote to Make Noise about this weeks ago, but they didn't respond to that.
cackland
sendepause wrote:
This is a very fun module!

Here is used it in self oscillating mode and cv-ing some stuff.
Click on image for video.

[/url]


The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?
Pighood
After a few weeks of ownership, I find myself gelling very well with it, but realize I need a new skiff to house my dear Echophon, which the Mim was SUPPOSED to replace, but I can't bring myself to part with. waah
autopoiesis
is there any kind of final word on the noise floor at dry? all I can gather is that some modules are noisier than others, that power supply may or may not be a factor, and that in at least one case the noise is no longer present when the audio is passed through an audio interface (???)

really want to jump on this but am reluctant to end up with a module that might require servicing in the US
Trebbers
autopoiesis wrote:
is there any kind of final word on the noise floor at dry? all I can gather is that some modules are noisier than others, that power supply may or may not be a factor, and that in at least one case the noise is no longer present when the audio is passed through an audio interface (???)

really want to jump on this but am reluctant to end up with a module that might require servicing in the US


I can only talk about my own module/system, but I do not see the noise as a problem, and agree with some others here that it can be avoided with attention to gain staging.

If I route the Mimephon dry into a stereo channel of the WMD Performance mixer, noise just becomes audible when I push the fader to around 65%. This is with the master volume of the mixer at max and my monitors a good bit louder than I normally have them. In contrast, Plaits or Rubicon into the same channel is "too loud" with the fader at 45-50%. The noise is not enough to register on the PM's dBu meter even at -24dBu with the fader 100% up.

The thing to avoid is going to be putting a quiet signal into the Mimephon and then adding gain/heavy compression w/low threshold to it's output which would raise the level of the noise as well. Good news is that adjusting the gain on the module doesn't seem to affect the noise at all .

System: 2x Intellijel 7U 104HP, skiff with Intellijel TPS30MAX power.
starthief
Maybe there was a bad/mislabeled batch of parts? I'm seeing people say they tried several units at a shop and they were all noisy.

For what it's worth, I consider mine well-behaved; its serial number is 919, and I bought it from Nerd Audio at KnobCon.

With very quiet input signals and gain increased later in the chain, I can hear some gated white noise -- but it is NOT louder (nor quieter) when the mix knob is set to dry.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?
sendepause
cackland wrote:


The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?


Not so much actually. It's just like it says on the FB page: "We are a small eurorack company based in Amsterdam. We are currently busy prototyping and designing our very first few eurorack modules and accessories."

It's just one guy doing stuff. I got this from him as a present and is use it mostly as an aux sent to FX.
He also made a very nice filter. I know he just got a kid so not sure how busy he is with designing modules at the moment ;-)
Fallen_lassen
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?


Most BBD delays can be played.
I use my Roland 572 this way. Keyboard. V into mod
cackland
sendepause wrote:
cackland wrote:


The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?


Not so much actually. It's just like it says on the FB page: "We are a small eurorack company based in Amsterdam. We are currently busy prototyping and designing our very first few eurorack modules and accessories."

It's just one guy doing stuff. I got this from him as a present and is use it mostly as an aux sent to FX.
He also made a very nice filter. I know he just got a kid so not sure how busy he is with designing modules at the moment ;-)


Ok cool. Thanks for the info
ggillon
More jamming with mimeophon

[s]http://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/passage[/s]
daluxer
if you are looking for some video & audio around the mimeophon. it's pretty neat

VM
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:
Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?


Lyra-8 FX

I wouldn't count on being able to 'play' it, but it sounds good enough just doing it's own thing.
Besfar
For fun/science, here are the noise floors im getting with the mimeophon, with nothing patched to the mim.

First pic is the mixer, nothing patched, so base level noise


Second is mimeophon through mixer, mim full wet.


Last is mimeophon, through mixer, mim full dry.

[/img]
ignatius
has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.
Mend
ignatius wrote:
has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B31pU4Vhp1B/

Never posted anything Instagram here. Hope this works. Just a loop with noisy kicks > mimeophon (modulated a bunch by Planar 2).
Nutritional Zero
daluxer wrote:
if you are looking for some video & audio around the mimeophon. it's pretty neat



This is absolutely stunning.
Xtheunknown
Besfar wrote:
For fun/science, here are the noise floors im getting with the mimeophon, with nothing patched to the mim.

First pic is the mixer, nothing patched, so base level noise


Second is mimeophon through mixer, mim full wet.


Last is mimeophon, through mixer, mim full dry.

[/img]


What is your impression of these results? Is the noise floor a problem in practice, in your opinion?
starthief
I see a similar spike at around 12kHz with mine. Going through my ES-6 with no added gain, it's averaging about -62dB at 100% wet, and -61dB at 100% dry.

For me this is not audible at normal monitoring levels; if I turn up my monitors enough to hear the noise, then HDmk3 or E352 plugged into Mimeophon's input are borderline dangerously loud.
Besfar
Xtheunknown wrote:


Well, its not a problem for noodling, as starthief says, you have to turn everything up really loud to hear it. In which case the noise is drowned out.

But, im having reservations with using the mim in studio work. Which is a shame, as it really is one of my favorite modules. Favorite in the fx category for sure.

With limiting and compression on a produced track, the noise of course gets louder, and i can clearly see the mimeophons "fingerprint" on everything that passes through it.

If anybody played the mim on a big PA, id like to hear your experience.

Really love this module, it would be a bit better if it was even white noise, this has a tone. The mimeotone w00t
starthief
Seems to me it should be pretty easy to filter the noise with something like ReaFIR, Brusfri, Izotope RX7, etc. since there's a very distinct noise profile that doesn't change.
Besfar
Thats true. Never tried rx, or any other audio restoration/fixing program, but they say its magic.
Can try, but first ill send my mastering guy some clips and see what he says. If he doesnt complain, then its no problem.
Hovercraft
Besfar wrote:


...If anybody played the mim on a big PA, id like to hear your experience...



I've played three shows where Mimeophone and Morphagene were my key modules. Two of the shows had large PA's, and there were honestly no issues. The noise floor is low enough not to be an issue with some reverb from my fx chain, and the reverb of the space. Oh, I also had the Lyra 8--and that's a noisy sucker, but it was fine in the mix.

Recordings are more critical, but would strongly recommend RX as Starthief mentioned. I haven't used it on modular recordings, but used to use it all the time on film/video audio material and it worked wonders.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next [all]
Page 18 of 19
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group