New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:08 am

Last patch made with Mimeophon, what a great module !

[video][/video]

pmarchitect
Common Wiggler

PLEASE HELP!

Post by pmarchitect » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Just bought one and I turn it on, all three buttons are white and no sound passes through the module.

Pressing the buttons does not turn off the lights.

Manual offered no help - no troubleshooting and google appears useless.

FFS :bang:

Well it’s totally fucked. Guess I’ll have to piss around trying to get an exchange.

Thanks MN

progendev
Learning to Wiggle

Re: PLEASE HELP!

Post by progendev » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 pm

pmarchitect wrote:Just bought one and I turn it on, all three buttons are white and no sound passes through the module.

Pressing the buttons does not turn off the lights.

Manual offered no help - no troubleshooting and google appears useless.

FFS :bang:

Well it’s totally fucked. Guess I’ll have to piss around trying to get an exchange.

Thanks MN
Try moving it to a different case or at least different power supply. What does your patch look like? The button thing happens even with absolutely nothing patched in or out?

I once got a module that had a short. It would totally kill the power of any supply I plugged it into. Nothing on that bus would even turn on. No matter what case or supply I tried it with, instant kiss of death. It was a short. Just sent it back and got a replacement. The retailer confirmed the behavior, said they'd never seen anything like it.

Hate to say it, and i bet you'll really hate to hear it, but sometimes sh*t happens. If you bought it secondhand and cant exchange, or if you have a gig in the next couple of days and really need it, then I apologize for the glib response and offer my sincere sympathies. Either way, hope you get it sorted!

progendev
Learning to Wiggle

Post by progendev » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 pm

insoul8 wrote:
zerodivide wrote:
insoul8 wrote:Can anyone post a quick video of these settings on their Mimeophon? I'm trying to figure out if mine is having issues or not. When clocking it from an external source, I am getting a fair amount of crunch/artifacts/distortion with certain panel settings.

The settings would be as follows: i'm just feeding it a short enveloped triangle for simplicity- very simple pattern- external clock in ~100bpm 2 or 4 ppqn, zone 1 or all the way to the left, repeats all the way down, rate in the middle, no halo, no color. As i turn the rate clockwise to divide the incoming clock, i get a very crunchy/distorted sound. It gets even more pronounced as i turn repeats up. Since it is in zone 1, it could be some kind of flanging causing it as when i turn the zone up to 2, it stops. i am just curious if this is the same behavior others are having. Make Noise said they were not able to replicate it but I thought I would ask here.

Also, i am not able to reproduce this sound without an external clock. Could it be some kind of phase issue since the delay and original signal are in time? Anyway, thanks for the help.
you sure you're patching the clock into the correct input? :) sorrry had to ask
Yes, definitely. :hihi:
Lol I totally sent a clock into the clock output jack for the first two days I had it. The red circle LED that is supposed to give an indication of rate is pretty sporadic and did not help identify this. Frankly, imho, the concept of syncing a delay to an external clock is fundamentally critical, and the idea of using a delay module as master clock is preposterous enough to me that I really question their decision to make the icon that most resembles a clock signal indicate clock OUT rather than clock IN. Clearly I am not yet fluent in makenoiseglyphics. Buuut obviously I should have RTFM sooner, that's on me.

Anyway, when you say you have no color, does that mean you have the color knob at 3 o'clock and CV attenuverter at noon? If so, then I can only guess that this behavior is probably because zone 1 is the fastest possible delay timing range, so your theory is probably correct. Does it make the same sound with different audio signals? Different octaves, oscillators, cables and/or volume levels? (A broken patch cable can wreak havoc on a signal path if you start cranking vcas to compensate for what seems like a simple quiet signal.) If the pitch or timbre of the sound changes based on the signal you send to the inputs, it's probably a "feature" of zone 1. If it sounds the same regardless of the input signals, then it may well be a defective component or bug. Or at least a consistently unpleasant culmination of a seemingly common configuration.

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 am

Yunsnare wrote:Last patch made with Mimeophon, what a great module !

[video][/video]
love this track, thanks for sharing !

Yunsnare
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yunsnare » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:06 am

pyrolator
Thank you a lot !

tommygee
Common Wiggler

Post by tommygee » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:46 pm

For the guys with noise issues: did you solve them ? I just received a replacement module from MN, and it has got the same issue.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:54 pm

tommygee wrote:For the guys with noise issues: did you solve them ? I just received a replacement module from MN, and it has got the same issue.
Can you describe your issue a bit more and what it would take to re-create it? or are you just having a general amount of noise at all times?
A few bits and bobs for sale here.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:23 pm

indexofmetals wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:
indexofmetals wrote:is anyone having issues with fluctuations of the delay rate?

I set up a patch to process a drum machine, with a specific rate that works with the rhythms, I do a recording, leave everything running, but when I come back the rate has shifted slightly and rhythms have gone wonky. It doesn't happen everytime but it has three times in the past two days. Nothing else in my small portable setup has shifted when this happened.
Are you clocking the drum machine and module together?

If not, the nuance differences in time will shift.
the drum machine is outside of eurorack and coming in as a mono signal. I'm just setting the delay rate by ear. when i was using this approach with a magneto, I'd turn them both off, come back several days later and turn back on and it was just as I'd left it. no cv was into the mimeophon during the fluctuations.
I've been trying to remember where this conversation was happening.

As someone said it's very surprising that you got the Magneto to continue. The mono signal is audio, not clock, not cv. You need to clock them together and you'll be set.

What drum machine are you using?

Silentnotes
Common Wiggler

Post by Silentnotes » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:21 am

I just realized that I cannot modulate Repeats and Mix with bipolar LFO because when they both hit minimal value, my buffer gets erased :)

Two button press combination would have been much better solution.

edit: I can.. but I need to keep them from hitting 0 at the same time :)

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am

Silentnotes wrote:I just realized that I cannot modulate Repeats and Mix with bipolar LFO because when they both hit minimal value, my buffer gets erased :)

For real? I haven't tried that yet, but I assumed the "clear" worked by the DAC reading the knob positions, not also the CV values.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:22 am

dbl post
Current system:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:51 am

exper wrote:For real? I haven't tried that yet, but I assumed the "clear" worked by the DAC reading the knob positions, not also the CV values.
Many modules are designed so the knob and CV input are summed in analog and feed the same DAC input.
"The faint whisper of rain and running water was still there and it had the same tender note of solitude and perfection. But what did the rain mean to him as long as he couldn’t write a song about it?"

starthief.bandcamp.comstarthief.netModularGrid

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:06 am

starthief wrote:
exper wrote:For real? I haven't tried that yet, but I assumed the "clear" worked by the DAC reading the knob positions, not also the CV values.
Many modules are designed so the knob and CV input are summed in analog and feed the same DAC input.

Gotcha. Just never thought about it that way. Especially when those values are tied to a function like clearing the buffer.
Current system:

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:10 pm

Silentnotes wrote:I just realized that I cannot modulate Repeats and Mix with bipolar LFO because when they both hit minimal value, my buffer gets erased :)

agreed that a button combination would have been a better solution for buffer clearing. having CV control over that is nice in theory but not so nice when it overlaps with very common patching that has nothing to do with clearing the buffer.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Yes, this is frustrating. Particularly as the design makes you want to modulate repeats when the buffer is looping and rate is high, to get loop windowing. If you modulate mix as well, or forget and turn mix to dry for any reason, your buffer is gone.

I know there are a few delay modules that use their feedback controls for other purposes when the loop if held, with the thinking that since the audio is looping there is no need for feedback. I find that design unhelpful. If you disengage hold with the repeats knob turned down you start to lose your audio. But if before you disengage hold you turn repeats to a higher setting, you change the setting of the loop windowing and the resultant sound.

I'm appreciative of having the loop windowing function in the Mimeophon, it's a great extra. But I do wish there was a way to modulate the loop window and also at the same time add new audio to the buffer. As it is now that doesn't really work.

Maybe in an update there could be a two button press for buffer clear, and a way to not lose feedback control while windowing.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:
Maybe in an update there could be a two button press for buffer clear,...........
+1

the past tells, that when enough people come up with the same wish that manufacturers might listen.

we´ve asked for *this* feature quite early ( the two button press)

while the past also shows that most often manufacturers would not rethink old decissions once implemented.
( in the sense of: NEVER show that you were wrong...... )

In that sense would it be a good habit to support people who come early with *well thought out* wishes. ;)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
WMD Geiger Counter: 180.- / Dotcom Q960: 700.- / Q119: 430 /
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 850.-, like new, quasi unused.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:34 pm

just set repeats slightly positive. I haven't tried it yet, but the manual says repeats takes 0-5V so I wouldn't except it to hit 0V in that situation. :despair:

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:14 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:
Maybe in an update there could be a two button press for buffer clear,...........
+1

the past tells, that when enough people come up with the same wish that manufacturers might listen.

we´ve asked for *this* feature quite early ( the two button press)

while the past also shows that most often manufacturers would not rethink old decissions once implemented.
( in the sense of: NEVER show that you were wrong...... )

In that sense would it be a good habit to support people who come early with *well thought out* wishes. ;)
Yes, I've recommended this as well before.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Re: New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Post by r05c03 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:36 am

I am have trouble getting the uRate to do anything when a pitch CV is plugged in it. It seems to do chorus and flange type stuff with, say and LFO plugged in. Am I doing something wrong?
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:20 am

No, I don't think so. IME it does work for 1v/oct in Zone 0 doing Karplus stuff, but behaves differently in other Zones.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:54 pm

That said running the pitch through a slew and feeding it to rate could be fun...

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Trebbers wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:20 am
No, I don't think so. IME it does work for 1v/oct in Zone 0 doing Karplus stuff, but behaves differently in other Zones.
Yeah, so that is what I was doing, I was in the blue zone. I guess it seems to work okay when doing Karplus synthesis, but when using its own internal feed back my Intelligel uMIDI does not appear to create pitch changes like it should be when I send it pitch CV. When I send it pitch CV from my KeyStep if I play slowly it appears to change some of time, not all of time. The faster I play the more it seems to mess up.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:20 am

Turns out it was a voltage problem, it does not like the higher volatages, is I drop the keyboard or midi note data going into the uMIDI it seems to eliminate the problem completely.

Estes
Common Wiggler

Post by Estes » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:46 am

little jam with the Mimeophone and Doepfer Quadrature Thru Zero Voltage Controlled Oscillator A-110-4

In the middle you can hear the feedback of the Mimeophone...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”