MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
ModusOp
Loving the extra spices thrown into this beauty! That Halo parameter sounded awesome, and I dig how you can just flip the repeats with the push of a button.

Admittedly, these black modules are messing with my OCD though and I wish more companies would start making black faceplate options, or that MN would offer some classic silver ones for sale. I think all of their black-only modules would look dope in the classic aluminum style! Not sure how they could pull it off with René though. hmmm.....

Sweet avatar btw, mother misty.
ym2612
The "Halo" knob seems to add reverb, and it reminds me a lot of the Erbe Verb.
mother misty
another demo

Portabella
so basically this is a very sophisticated delay module
VortexRanger
starthief wrote:
ym2612 wrote:
rew_ wrote:
yeah "it is a stereo multi-zone color audio repeater" is really a galaxy-brain way of avoiding "it's an delay module"

Yeah, that's Make Noise for you. hihi

I was waiting to see if Walker managed to get through the whole thing without saying "delay" at all. He didn't quite. Mr. Green

Guess I owe Tony 20 bucks. hihi

Don’t you think “stereo multi zone color audio repeater” is more fun to say? I do. w00t

-W
letitbleep
so bizarre to me that make noise always demos their stuff with plonky, aimless, 6-note chiptune melodies. just like continuously passing up the opportunity to demonstrate the actual wide range of their systems. anyway this seems really dope. will be waiting on that greyscale replacement panel.
rnordac
the panel is a little piece of art
oranginafiend
letitbleep wrote:
so bizarre to me that make noise always demos their stuff with plonky, aimless, 6-note chiptune melodies. just like continuously passing up the opportunity to demonstrate the actual wide range of their systems. anyway this seems really dope. will be waiting on that greyscale replacement panel.

i agree. it's so busy that for me it's difficult to discern in what way the mimeophon is altering the sound. i'd like to have heard how it responds to a single note, or just a sequence with more room to breathe.
luketeaford
letitbleep wrote:

haha I think if anything their demos (especially YouTube videos) have gotten so musical over the years that they don't really show off the roughness you can get in the sound.

Really excited to hear more of the Mimeophon and just wanted to add some perspective from earlier comments about the shared system evolving over time: some of the modules do get MK 2 versions and those I think are more finely tuned to the instrument as a whole. For example, being able to generate static voltages with optomix and all the powerful features of R2 (frees Pressure Points up for more touch uses and makes the Brains much less exciting...)

Now (especially that the CV bus is sold separately) you can build all kinds of interesting instruments just with MN modules if you want. For me, classic Rene was the reason I chose eurorack over Serge when I started playing and now those are a STEAL at secondhand prices-- same thing with Phonogene. I hope new users get a chance to experience those classics and make some music with them, keeping their well-earned "classic module" status and patching techniques alive! thumbs up
hawkfuzz
Someone at Superbooth should hold a button or two for an extended period of time and see if anything happens....
coolshirtdotjpg
Junk Rhythm wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it.

About a month ago Tony said they consider the Shared System to be "complete" and thus are not going to change it.

So they are just going to keep producing echophons? That seems very doubtful. Their digital modules are nearing a decade old and DSP/general purpose chips have improved enormously in the past decade. It's pretty hard to imagine them selling a $4,500 system with out of date DSP (even though I like it) when they have brand new versions that they are probably producing at lower cost/greater reliability.

What makes a DSP out of date? I'm still using an effects processor that I purchased new in 2004 and it still sounds miles ahead of most processors coming out today. It uses the same DSP that was found in the majority of virtual analogs, samplers, drum machines and effects processors from that era as well as in the late 90s. Folks still hunt for old tech to add that extra flare to their sound. DSPs were reliable then just as they are today. Analog as a technology is decades out of date and everyone still goes crazy for it. Rarely does anything new with technology translate to a different result musically. I do agree that they will eventually stop producing the Echophon (as well other modules) but those decisions will be driven by market saturation more than out of date technology. When the demand slows down too much, the production stops.

Virgil wrote:
About a month ago Tony said they consider the Shared System to be "complete" and thus are not going to change it.

Nothing in modular is ever "complete" until the manufacturer goes out of business. As coolshirtdotjpg mentions, the Shared System has evolved with time. Evolution is what it takes to remain in business within the modular world and Make Noise has done a great job staying ahead of the curve.

To be totally fair, you are absolutely right, that DSP doesn't go out of date, and I am certainly on board with the idea that the "vintage" make noise system will be eventually coveted. BUT, if I recall correctly, the echophon runs on an out of date ARM chip, which doesn't have "sound" per say, other than its less powerful than the new devices. Again, I'm down with the limitations, but its pretty hard to see a company like make noise continuing to produce something at the same cost or more that's less powerful. That's never been their MO, so it's weird that they would start with the echophon, which as cool as it is, feels a bit janky given the strides that echos have made in euro. I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, as an artist, I love the old stuff, keep making Juno 106s and DX7s, but from a business point of view, it just seems logical that they would sub out the echophon for the mimeophon.
coolshirtdotjpg
R.U.Nuts wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it.

So they are just going to keep producing echophons? That seems very doubtful. Their digital modules are nearing a decade old and DSP/general purpose chips have improved enormously in the past decade. It's pretty hard to imagine them selling a $4,500 system with out of date DSP (even though I like it) when they have brand new versions that they are probably producing at lower cost/greater reliability.

Well, the DPO stems from technology that was available in the '60s and tape- and BBD delays aren't obsolete because of digital delays either. Maybe in a decade we'll see hyper modern DSP effects with Echophon emulation algorythms zombie

I mean they're certainly obsolete, obviously obsolescence has artistic purposes. but I think we need to separate artistic value from business value. ARM chips don't have a sound, and the later, more powerful ones don't have a different "sound" from the earlier ones. Again, I like the earlier wonky DSP stuff, but I don't see how it makes sense for Make Noise to keep producing technology that is going to be harder to source and has design flaws when they have a brand new design that can stand in for it, at a smaller size. You don't see BBD chips in make noise modules, and you don't see vactrols in most of the modules that used to have them either.
mdoudoroff
A couple of Tom Erbe quotes about the Mimeophon from over at lines:

Quote:
I’m taking the MP in an entirely different direction than the EP. In short Echophon: aggressive, dirty, low-res delay; Mimeophon: clear, deep, spacious, wide-range delay. I also want to hit all my favorite delay sounds in a compact module (flanging, stereo chorusing, either a dark, resonant, mid-heavy, bright, compressed, distorted or diffused feedback , combing, looping, UFOs, sonic booms) with lots of polyrhythmic (stereo-rhythmic?) clock options. all with just a few knobs and gates…

and on the μ control:

Quote:
it’s a direct modulation input that is suitable for chorus, capstan wobble, Doppler, etc. with skew the modulation is inverted on one of the channels (the left one).
cackland
mdoudoroff wrote:

Quote:
I’m taking the MP in an entirely different direction than the EP. In short Echophon: aggressive, dirty, low-res delay; Mimeophon: clear, deep, spacious, wide-range delay. I also want to hit all my favorite delay sounds in a compact module (flanging, stereo chorusing, either a dark, resonant, mid-heavy, bright, compressed, distorted or diffused feedback , combing, looping, UFOs, sonic booms) with lots of polyrhythmic (stereo-rhythmic?) clock options. all with just a few knobs and gates…

and on the μ control:

Quote:
it’s a direct modulation input that is suitable for chorus, capstan wobble, Doppler, etc. with skew the modulation is inverted on one of the channels (the left one).

Nice to hear from the designer talk about his intentions in this module, as being a delay, plus extras.

Definitely prefer this module of the Echophon. Look forward to more demos smile
Zymos
Kinda agree about demos. That first Instagram clip turned me off before I even knew anything about it- oh, it can make chaotic glitchy mush? That's nice.
The walkthrough did intrigue me though, even though I didn't love the sounds used, it still gave me a sense that I could enjoy the module.
The Junglechrist
I will be getting this one at some point for sure, maybe even wait some time to get the Microsound system, which is something that has always appealed to me, but I will keep that dirty echophon for sure anyway, it has a very special character and the pitch shifter is missing from this new one.
iamsaitam
Yesterday I was at Superbooth and made it to the talk with Tony Rolando and Walker Farrell, where they talked about the Mimeophon and their journey into to stereo from the Echophon to now, the Mimeophon.

From what I recall:

* they are still working on the firmware, it's close to being finished but not yet
* it will ship late (end of) summer
* Tom Erbe was in charge of the DSP
* 16HP
* Clock - in
* Repeat length - out
* Flip = Reverse

From the panel:
* Zones - I think in the end it allows creating segments in the delay line, so you can have a part of the signal having a really short delay line and the other one either not affected or having the opposite (this is the part which I'm unsure)
* Color - This some kind of filtering, they mentioned Dub delays when they talked about it.. in the end it lets you change the color of the sound.
* Halo - This makes the repeats sound like a reverb tail, it's not exclusively a reverb, but the sound tends to resemble one.
* Skew - Easiest way to explain is - when it's activated (by pressing) a button, whatever the repeat length that is in the buffer, if you turn the knob (unsure about the order here) to the left side, it will make the Left channel have shorter repeats and the Right channel longer.

That's what I can recall from the top of my head.
southberry
I a bit surprised that their new microsound system doesn't include a Telharmonic ... this module is so amazing when you pair it with QPAS ... I don't understand why they let so much new modules out of sight in their videos ... (I've you seen a lot of videos including Tel, Contour or Dynamix ? ...)

Whatever this new module seems crazy . I don't need another delay but this one is very unique (the stereo skew effects first) ... it sounds like there's a bit of ErbeVerb too in it. GAS ON ...

Tel + QPAS + Mimephon can be a crazy trio
richc90
tranter wrote:
Oh, what modules are in that Tape & Micro Sound Music Machine System?

From what I remember:

Wogglebug
Maths
Mult
Morphagene
QPAS
Mimeophone
X-OH
10 HP free (or X-Pan?)
St0rMl0rD
Let's see how long it'll take me to sell my B&G Echophon and get this instead. Anyone else considering it? XOH seems like a step down from Rosie, though.
ggillon
St0rMl0rD wrote:
Let's see how long it'll take me to sell my B&G Echophon and get this instead. Anyone else considering it? XOH seems like a step down from Rosie, though.

I want this, the QPAS and the X-Pan so most likely I'll have to start a new skiff meaning I can keep the EP. I love the pitch shifting. XOH I'll pass though since I already have 2 Erica stereo mixers in a techno rack to handle the B&G outputs

modul8tr
ggillon wrote:
St0rMl0rD wrote:

I want this, the QPAS and the X-Pan so most likely I'll have to start a new skiff meaning I can keep the EP. I love the pitch shifting. XOH I'll pass though since I already have 2 Erica stereo mixers in a techno rack to handle the B&G outputs

This is what I’m thinking. Planning to keep Echophon - which I was initially disappointed in as a lover of delays, but then learned it’s fantastic if you think of it as a sound design tool rather than a delay.

Def want QPas at some point but need to have a deep dive with one first as I may prefer a second XAOC Belgrad. Based on my current system and initial vids, the rhythmic possibilities of QPAS are grabbing my attention most.

XPan I love immediately and can’t wait to integrate. Curious as to how it will play with RXMX, my filters, and Morphagene.

Mimeophone applause twisted instant buy that will make summer seem VERY long.

And of course I need more space so I’m thinking of breaking my Verbos modules out to their own case since I’m also going to add the Harmonic OSC. This will open up the top row on my Mantis case and make that case the utility expander System next to B&G and Verbos.

Very glad I didn’t buy modules last year! This year has great offerings that are right in my wheelhouse.
radin
Tom Erbe has a lot to say about the development of the soundhack/Make noise modules and the Echophon in particular on Darwin Grosse's podcase. This is from a couple years ago but still fascinating. Some really interesting insights into the initial Phonogene updates as well as some discussion regarding updating old modules and releasing brand new ones.

For those stating the Echophon's DSP is outdated: It was outdated when the Echophon was 1st released. Hear all about it here:

https://artmusictech.libsyn.com/podcast-150-tom-erbe

mdoudoroff wrote:

Quote:

and on the μ control:

Quote:
advrsry
I think I really want the new skiff
djd_oz
modul8tr wrote:

but then learned it’s fantastic if you think of it as a sound design tool rather than a delay.

would love to hear some examples on how you use it as a sound design tool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 3 of 18