New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Thank you so much. I sometimes feel like I’m pissing into the wind when I make these videos and it makes me so happy when it connects with somebody.

Cortega
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Cortega » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:Anyone else have this strange behavior; I find the Mimeophon a little noisy, but strangely it gets less white noisy as I move from Dry to Wet (wet settings are no repeats, no halo & color set to middle).

:hmm:
I’ve got a touch of the morphagene type digital floor noise at times as well. I can usually gain stage and get most of it out of the mix. But yeah mine seems to have a slight noise as well.

I think this is the low build build Quality from Make Noise Modules,
the Pots are low build in all Modules and in the Digital Modules from MN you get this Noise Floor,
if you write MN Support about this you get the Answer „ this is the typical Noise Floor that is produced from Digital Modules“
Seriously ??
i have a lot of Digital Modules(ER-301, Rossum, etc.) and there are dead Silent.
I love and have a lot of MN Modules but the Build Quality for the Price is not on the good Side.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:Anyone else have this strange behavior; I find the Mimeophon a little noisy, but strangely it gets less white noisy as I move from Dry to Wet (wet settings are no repeats, no halo & color set to middle).

I’ve got a touch of the morphagene type digital floor noise at times as well. I can usually gain stage and get most of it out of the mix. But yeah mine seems to have a slight noise as well.

the Pots are low build in all Modules and in the Digital Modules from MN you get this Noise Floor,
if you write MN Support about this you get the Answer „ this is the typical Noise Floor that is produced from Digital Modules“
Seriously ??
i have a lot of Digital Modules(ER-301, Rossum, etc.) and there are dead Silent.
I love and have a lot of MN Modules but the Build Quality for the Price is not on the good Side.
:eek:

aintnopicnic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by aintnopicnic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:19 pm

@ Nutritional Zero

love it! :yay:

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:31 am

nectarios wrote:
Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:

Seriously ??
Well... he is from Germany :hihi:

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:00 am

bc3 wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:

Seriously ??
Well... he is from Germany :hihi:
Meaning? I didn't get it obviously

cyberdine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cyberdine » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:28 pm

deleted

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:22 am

That is indeed quite noticeable. Any idea why there is no noise in the quiet part before the note?

Could you upload the same, but wet? Just a simple single delay, no color or anything?

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digidandy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:02 am

Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.
My latest release, including vinyl!

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am

Has anyone tried downgrading the s/w to see if the noise issue disappears?

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:59 am

Mine is on its way...fingers crossed it doesn’t have this issue:(

geetee
Common Wiggler

Post by geetee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:55 am

Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:

Seriously ??
My ER-301 was noisy, so there's that.

yrn1
Common Wiggler

Post by yrn1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:59 am

My kids are noisy. Manufacturer ignores my complaints...

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Same issue here.
The dry has digital noise.
It puzzles me as well.
Is the dry signal going thru AD/DA conversion ?

I'm trying to fix it but as it is, I can't use it on stage.
I have the morphagene right next to it and it's super clean.
FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 pm

yrn1 wrote:My kids are noisy. Manufacturer ignores my complaints...
:yay:

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:39 pm

tommygee wrote:I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.
Today I heard back from Make Noise, it seems it is not a software issue, and I'll have to send the Mphon over to them :deadbanana:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:05 pm

digidandy wrote:Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.
This mentality that a manufacture needs to scan through every topic on the internet about their product confuses me.

Emailing the company is the best way to probe a response time and awareness.
THUMPR BC SC

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:26 pm

tommygee wrote:I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.
OK, now that you have shared this example: I can duplicate it via questionable gain staging.

Sine VCO through Tallin, with a decay envelope being clocked. I set the level on Tallin so the signal is about 1VPP max, and run that direct into an ES-6. Then in my DAW I boost that input by +24dB. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

If I don't run it through Mimeophon, I hear no noise.

If I run it through Mimeophon, I hear some soft noise that appears to be gated inside of Mimeophon itself. Minimum repeats, Mix fully dry or fully wet (as long as Color isn't set so low that it filters out the noise).

If I go to about 4VPP on my audio signal and boost in the DAW by +12dB, the noise isn't very noticeable.

If I go 10VPP on my audio signal, like I tend to, and don't boost it in the DAW... no noise :)

So yeah. There's a noise floor in Mimeophon that you can hear with the mix fully dry, and the module gates it. But it's also very much a question of gain staging.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:13 am

starthief wrote:
OK, now that you have shared this example: I can duplicate it via questionable gain staging.

Sine VCO through Tallin, with a decay envelope being clocked. I set the level on Tallin so the signal is about 1VPP max, and run that direct into an ES-6. Then in my DAW I boost that input by +24dB. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

If I don't run it through Mimeophon, I hear no noise.

If I run it through Mimeophon, I hear some soft noise that appears to be gated inside of Mimeophon itself. Minimum repeats, Mix fully dry or fully wet (as long as Color isn't set so low that it filters out the noise).

If I go to about 4VPP on my audio signal and boost in the DAW by +12dB, the noise isn't very noticeable.

If I go 10VPP on my audio signal, like I tend to, and don't boost it in the DAW... no noise :)

So yeah. There's a noise floor in Mimeophon that you can hear with the mix fully dry, and the module gates it. But it's also very much a question of gain staging.

Thanks for the input. However I made sure that my gain staging was perfect before I did any conclusions.

Carci
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Carci » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:21 am

I'm OK with the noise when it's drowned in the effect but it's a shame we can hear it on the dry signal.
I guess I could fix it by having a crossfader next to the mimeophon to do the dry/wet. But that's annoying.

I imagine this is not something that can be fixed with software.
FS : Doepfer MCV24 - Eowave Ringobug

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:33 am

This is worrisome. I've always used the mimeophon with a aux send/return and wet/dry fully wet, but I'll have to take a closer look at it. If I recall, the erbe-verb I had also was noisy on the dry side as well...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T Mackie QU-16C Digital Mixer/Interface
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
FS/T: Intellijel 1U Midi & Audio IO
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:08 am

tommygee wrote:Thanks for the input. However I made sure that my gain staging was perfect before I did any conclusions.
I guess units vary then, or it's something to do with power, or... it's Eurorack, who knows?

Ironically enough I tend to embrace noise and artifacts in my recordings (there's PT delay noise crawling all over everything I've done lately). I'd probably be totally fine with a noisy Mimeophon, but mine's nearly pristine unless I misuse it.

tommygee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tommygee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:54 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
digidandy wrote:Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.
This mentality that a manufacture needs to scan through every topic on the internet about their product confuses me.

Yes emailing them is the way - Make Noise has been responding super fast.

Orange
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Orange » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:20 am

hawkfuzz wrote:

There are tools for this. Big Brother is watchin’ ..... :mrgreen:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”