MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author New MakeNoise module: Mimeophon
Portabella
here we go:
Mimeophon: stereo, multizone, color audio repeater.

donttouchmyrice
guessing from the looks of it, it's some sort of mix between clouds and morphagene/nebulae?
moremagic
looks like the stereo echophon everyones wanted, except no pitchshifter . . .
big for stereofolks i reckon
ggillon
That module's name hmmm.....

naturarerum
time stretcher / looper?
moremagic
ggillon wrote:
i was thinkin probably more like mimeograph
(remember those old illegible blue copies ?)
St0rMl0rD
Huh, interesting, wonder what it does in more detail. And more importantly, what it sounds like.
mother misty
Short audio example here https://www.instagram.com/p/BxPDc1lg2Qc/ sweet comb-filter like sounds...
insoul8
mother misty wrote:
Short audio example here https://www.instagram.com/p/BxPDc1lg2Qc/ sweet comb-filter like sounds...

Yea, sounds reminiscent of the comb delay section on my Rainmaker there.
Virusinstaller
There are some seriously cool stereo modules coming out this year.
Seems as though it is a clockable delay/echo.
Looking good!
jbrandtp
Soundhack = Tom Erbe
The Junglechrist
Wow that look like fun !
euxine
From the panel, I would guess that it's a digital delay line with a diffusion parameter.
monoscan
Woke up to seeing this on social media a couple hours ago. As if I wasn't excited about adding an X-PAN to my Make Noise box, now there's this...
hawkfuzz
Damn, I guess they're just not replacing the RxMx, which is very sad.
mdoudoroff
hawkfuzz wrote:
Damn, I guess they're just not replacing the RxMx, which is very sad.

I was chatting with Robert Lowe the other day and he made it pretty clear that MN isn’t inclined to repeat itself, which is why an Echophon 2 is rather unlikely. Which doesn’t mean MN won’t do something vaguely in the same space as the RxMx, but that lurches off in a rather different direction. Arguably, the X-PAN is such a thing, as the new Mimeophone may prove to be relative to the Echophon.
Rex Coil 7
moremagic wrote:
ggillon wrote:
i was thinkin probably more like mimeograph
(remember those old illegible blue copies ?)
... that everyone would ~sniff~ when the teacher handed out mimeographed work sheets?

HA! lol lol

There was a scene in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when the teacher ("Mr. Hand") handed out mimeographed work sheets (test papers?) and all the kids were sniffin' the papers. It was sure that way in the 1970s as well (I graduated 12th grade in 1978).

hawkfuzz
Definitely. I don't think any company should do what they don't want to do, if they've moved beyond the ideas.

They did some REVs that were received well, so I thought it could be updated if they discontinued it, because it seemed to be a great seller, but I could be wrong.

I've fallen in love with scanning and love the way that it implemented the idea.
coolshirtdotjpg
I called this about 6 months ago. Erbe Verb is definitely next. I'm sort of glad this is a new thing, none of the MK2s have made me want to get rid of my originals, but man, if I had waited until now, I could have gotten my shared system a lot cheaper, haha.
Muse FTW
Can't wait to see the Make Noise demo of it.

They always sell me on their stuff lol.
12eightyfive
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I'm sort of glad this is a new thing, none of the MK2s have made me want to get rid of my originals, but man, if I had waited until now, I could have gotten my shared system a lot cheaper, haha.

Tony said something in a Perfect Circuit demo of the QPAS along the lines of how QPAS didn't replace anything in the Shared System, but that it and other coming stereo modules (Xpan, now this) may call for a new, more stereo-oriented system. Wonder if we'll see Echophon replaced now that there is a more obvious successor or if this is the end of the Black and gold Shared System?
astrodislocate
Do we have any idea yet what the "color" knob does? Distortion? Filtering?
Osk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3YD8CksZg&fbclid=IwAR0eY011yVEAPKn1o mlhY5CewDRY_d13Lgw94qZv1nQeGYakKel7bF8wznw

Sonicstate video on the Mimeophone
12eightyfive
Color looks like Filtering. They explain in the video that it is interwoven with some of the other functions.

ALSO new module XOH which is like a cheaper stereo Rosie

ALSO Microsound Music Machine new successor to the System Concrete, which they address briefly in vid. Looks like it is Wogglebug, Maths, Morphagene, QPAS, Mimeophon and XOH
spinalbeatz
Mimeophone sounds pretty great!
nectarios
Osk wrote:

Sounds good. Very playful it seems too.
It has some nice processing in the delay line, what I wished the 4ms Looping Delay had. In some ways this module appears to be influenced by it.

I think they heard the people not having to have the pitch effect when rate changes, but they also kept that option from the Echophon.
They left out the pitch shifter, which the Echophon has, so as much as it feels its a successor to the Echophon, they made different enough.

Good module this. They do seem to replace the mono stuff with stereo.
coolshirtdotjpg
12eightyfive wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I'm sort of glad this is a new thing, none of the MK2s have made me want to get rid of my originals, but man, if I had waited until now, I could have gotten my shared system a lot cheaper, haha.

Tony said something in a Perfect Circuit demo of the QPAS along the lines of how QPAS didn't replace anything in the Shared System, but that it and other coming stereo modules (Xpan, now this) may call for a new, more stereo-oriented system. Wonder if we'll see Echophon replaced now that there is a more obvious successor or if this is the end of the Black and gold Shared System?

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it. I think that some of us have just settled into what we think of as MK1 shared systems. The new stuff is very dense and powerful, but the mk1 is very raw and immediate. I think that it will be linked to a certain period of time/musical style. They will definitely need to spend a lot of time thinking how an updated shared system will work as an instrument, as a lot of the character came from the limitations of the early modules.
Virgil
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it.

About a month ago Tony said they consider the Shared System to be "complete" and thus are not going to change it.
tranter
Oh, what modules are in that Tape & Micro Sound Music Machine System?

Osk wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3YD8CksZg&fbclid=IwAR0eY011yVEAPKn1o mlhY5CewDRY_d13Lgw94qZv1nQeGYakKel7bF8wznw

Funky40
.....i barely remember, but i thought two years ago or so i saw Tony walking in my mind when i was asleep.
damn......... hihi

edit: daaamn, Walker must be a Brainwalker too lol
coolshirtdotjpg
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

They've been changing the shared system for the better part of a decade, I think they'll keep changing it.

About a month ago Tony said they consider the Shared System to be "complete" and thus are not going to change it.

So they are just going to keep producing echophons? That seems very doubtful. Their digital modules are nearing a decade old and DSP/general purpose chips have improved enormously in the past decade. It's pretty hard to imagine them selling a $4,500 system with out of date DSP (even though I like it) when they have brand new versions that they are probably producing at lower cost/greater reliability.
mdoudoroff
hawkfuzz wrote:
Definitely. I don't think any company should do what they don't want to do, if they've moved beyond the ideas.

They did some REVs that were received well, so I thought it could be updated if they discontinued it, because it seemed to be a great seller, but I could be wrong.

I've fallen in love with scanning and love the way that it implemented the idea.

If MN is walking away from the RxMx concept, I wouldn’t be surprised to see somebody else step into the void. Seems to me there’s untapped potential there to explore.
hawkfuzz
mdoudoroff wrote:
hawkfuzz wrote:

If MN is walking away from the RxMx concept, I wouldn’t be surprised to see somebody else step into the void. Seems to me there’s untapped potential there to explore.

Agreed. I've been using the Synapse for some time thinking that it was a successor the RxMx but it's a different beast with some crossover function, but implemented differently. The new Malekko VCA looks to have a blend of typical quad vcas and a scan function as well.
R.U.Nuts
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

So they are just going to keep producing echophons? That seems very doubtful. Their digital modules are nearing a decade old and DSP/general purpose chips have improved enormously in the past decade. It's pretty hard to imagine them selling a $4,500 system with out of date DSP (even though I like it) when they have brand new versions that they are probably producing at lower cost/greater reliability.

Well, the DPO stems from technology that was available in the '60s and tape- and BBD delays aren't obsolete because of digital delays either. Maybe in a decade we'll see hyper modern DSP effects with Echophon emulation algorythms zombie
Virgil
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

I agree. I remember Tony stressing what a different beast the MG is compared to the PG as part of the Shared System. It got swapped anyway. So I could imagine Echophon being next.
Junk Rhythm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

What makes a DSP out of date? I'm still using an effects processor that I purchased new in 2004 and it still sounds miles ahead of most processors coming out today. It uses the same DSP that was found in the majority of virtual analogs, samplers, drum machines and effects processors from that era as well as in the late 90s. Folks still hunt for old tech to add that extra flare to their sound. DSPs were reliable then just as they are today. Analog as a technology is decades out of date and everyone still goes crazy for it. Rarely does anything new with technology translate to a different result musically. I do agree that they will eventually stop producing the Echophon (as well other modules) but those decisions will be driven by market saturation more than out of date technology. When the demand slows down too much, the production stops.

Virgil wrote:

Nothing in modular is ever "complete" until the manufacturer goes out of business. As coolshirtdotjpg mentions, the Shared System has evolved with time. Evolution is what it takes to remain in business within the modular world and Make Noise has done a great job staying ahead of the curve.
pines
There were a lot of contortions to keep from calling it a delay.... I’m keeping my 2016 Shared System in its original state, other than the addition of brains and Tempi. I’m going to start a skiff to add in the new MN modules that I feel like I’ll gel with. I really do wish that they would do a few plain vanilla utility things and and some sort of 223e style touch controller though. I bought a B&G Ornament & Crime and loaded it with Hemispheres to fill in the gaps. The O&C will eventually live in the skiff.
southberry
So are they finally moving to full black and gold ? ....
ym2612
Virgil wrote:
I agree. I remember Tony stressing what a different beast the MG is compared to the PG as part of the Shared System. It got swapped anyway. So I could imagine Echophon being next.

They may not keep producing every module, but I like that they aren't just making v2.0 versions of older modules. An Echophon is still an Echophon and Mimeophone is not an Echophon, so there's not a direct path of obsolescence, even if people dropped Echophons like chopped liver as soon as Chronoblob (and later DLD) came out.
monoscan
Osk wrote:

I didn’t expect to see a video posted so quickly before MN made an official announcement. This looks incredible.
rew_
pines wrote:
There were a lot of contortions to keep from calling it a delay....

yeah "it is a stereo multi-zone color audio repeater" is really a galaxy-brain way of avoiding "it's an delay module"

I mean, it's a delay module that seems like it has some cool spice added in but it's definitely a delay module.
Virgil
southberry wrote:

Yes. They stated a while ago there won't be silver panel versions of new modules.
forrest
Dayamm I love the design and ideas presented but it seems a little too chaotic for my purposes, very happy they're making everything black/gold.
cackland
rew_ wrote:
pines wrote:
There were a lot of contortions to keep from calling it a delay....

yeah "it is a stereo multi-zone color audio repeater" is really a galaxy-brain way of avoiding "it's an delay module"

I mean, it's a delay module that seems like it has some cool spice added in but it's definitely a delay module.

Id probably classify this as the successor of echophon, in more ways than one.
ym2612
rew_ wrote:

Yeah, that's Make Noise for you. hihi
pedalhead
southberry wrote:

yet they still refuse to sell you a black panel for modules you already have that are now produced in black.
nios
Did they say anything about price/availability? Don't recall hearing it yet in the couple vids posted. Got my ready..
starthief
ym2612 wrote:
rew_ wrote:

I was waiting to see if Walker managed to get through the whole thing without saying "delay" at all. He didn't quite. Mr. Green
Parnelli
Dang, now I'm bummed because I was thinking about another stereo processor and now there's this! I'll have to rethink things now!

I really love working in a stereo field. I got started with my Disting mk4 and the ping pong delay. I use a 2hp Verb to create lush deep stereo fields of drone that I like to bounce things around it, so I picked up a WMD SSF DPLR and really like it as well, but I'm looking for one more device to tie it all together, this might just be it!

Anxiously awaiting videos, but I already like what I heard on the Superbooth video... thumbs up
mother misty
nios wrote:
Did they say anything about price/availability? Don't recall hearing it yet in the couple vids posted. Got my ready..

Nothing on the price yet, Walker did mention pre-orders start at the end of the month and shipping end of summer.
ModusOp
Loving the extra spices thrown into this beauty! That Halo parameter sounded awesome, and I dig how you can just flip the repeats with the push of a button.

Admittedly, these black modules are messing with my OCD though and I wish more companies would start making black faceplate options, or that MN would offer some classic silver ones for sale. I think all of their black-only modules would look dope in the classic aluminum style! Not sure how they could pull it off with René though. hmmm.....

Sweet avatar btw, mother misty.
ym2612
The "Halo" knob seems to add reverb, and it reminds me a lot of the Erbe Verb.
mother misty
another demo

Portabella
so basically this is a very sophisticated delay module
VortexRanger
starthief wrote:
ym2612 wrote:
rew_ wrote:

I was waiting to see if Walker managed to get through the whole thing without saying "delay" at all. He didn't quite. Mr. Green

Guess I owe Tony 20 bucks. hihi

Don’t you think “stereo multi zone color audio repeater” is more fun to say? I do. w00t

-W
letitbleep
so bizarre to me that make noise always demos their stuff with plonky, aimless, 6-note chiptune melodies. just like continuously passing up the opportunity to demonstrate the actual wide range of their systems. anyway this seems really dope. will be waiting on that greyscale replacement panel.
rnordac
the panel is a little piece of art
oranginafiend
letitbleep wrote:
so bizarre to me that make noise always demos their stuff with plonky, aimless, 6-note chiptune melodies. just like continuously passing up the opportunity to demonstrate the actual wide range of their systems. anyway this seems really dope. will be waiting on that greyscale replacement panel.

i agree. it's so busy that for me it's difficult to discern in what way the mimeophon is altering the sound. i'd like to have heard how it responds to a single note, or just a sequence with more room to breathe.
luketeaford
letitbleep wrote:

haha I think if anything their demos (especially YouTube videos) have gotten so musical over the years that they don't really show off the roughness you can get in the sound.

Really excited to hear more of the Mimeophon and just wanted to add some perspective from earlier comments about the shared system evolving over time: some of the modules do get MK 2 versions and those I think are more finely tuned to the instrument as a whole. For example, being able to generate static voltages with optomix and all the powerful features of R2 (frees Pressure Points up for more touch uses and makes the Brains much less exciting...)

Now (especially that the CV bus is sold separately) you can build all kinds of interesting instruments just with MN modules if you want. For me, classic Rene was the reason I chose eurorack over Serge when I started playing and now those are a STEAL at secondhand prices-- same thing with Phonogene. I hope new users get a chance to experience those classics and make some music with them, keeping their well-earned "classic module" status and patching techniques alive! thumbs up
hawkfuzz
Someone at Superbooth should hold a button or two for an extended period of time and see if anything happens....
coolshirtdotjpg
Junk Rhythm wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

What makes a DSP out of date? I'm still using an effects processor that I purchased new in 2004 and it still sounds miles ahead of most processors coming out today. It uses the same DSP that was found in the majority of virtual analogs, samplers, drum machines and effects processors from that era as well as in the late 90s. Folks still hunt for old tech to add that extra flare to their sound. DSPs were reliable then just as they are today. Analog as a technology is decades out of date and everyone still goes crazy for it. Rarely does anything new with technology translate to a different result musically. I do agree that they will eventually stop producing the Echophon (as well other modules) but those decisions will be driven by market saturation more than out of date technology. When the demand slows down too much, the production stops.

Virgil wrote:

Nothing in modular is ever "complete" until the manufacturer goes out of business. As coolshirtdotjpg mentions, the Shared System has evolved with time. Evolution is what it takes to remain in business within the modular world and Make Noise has done a great job staying ahead of the curve.

To be totally fair, you are absolutely right, that DSP doesn't go out of date, and I am certainly on board with the idea that the "vintage" make noise system will be eventually coveted. BUT, if I recall correctly, the echophon runs on an out of date ARM chip, which doesn't have "sound" per say, other than its less powerful than the new devices. Again, I'm down with the limitations, but its pretty hard to see a company like make noise continuing to produce something at the same cost or more that's less powerful. That's never been their MO, so it's weird that they would start with the echophon, which as cool as it is, feels a bit janky given the strides that echos have made in euro. I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, as an artist, I love the old stuff, keep making Juno 106s and DX7s, but from a business point of view, it just seems logical that they would sub out the echophon for the mimeophon.
coolshirtdotjpg
R.U.Nuts wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Virgil wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

Well, the DPO stems from technology that was available in the '60s and tape- and BBD delays aren't obsolete because of digital delays either. Maybe in a decade we'll see hyper modern DSP effects with Echophon emulation algorythms zombie

I mean they're certainly obsolete, obviously obsolescence has artistic purposes. but I think we need to separate artistic value from business value. ARM chips don't have a sound, and the later, more powerful ones don't have a different "sound" from the earlier ones. Again, I like the earlier wonky DSP stuff, but I don't see how it makes sense for Make Noise to keep producing technology that is going to be harder to source and has design flaws when they have a brand new design that can stand in for it, at a smaller size. You don't see BBD chips in make noise modules, and you don't see vactrols in most of the modules that used to have them either.
mdoudoroff
A couple of Tom Erbe quotes about the Mimeophon from over at lines:

Quote:
I’m taking the MP in an entirely different direction than the EP. In short Echophon: aggressive, dirty, low-res delay; Mimeophon: clear, deep, spacious, wide-range delay. I also want to hit all my favorite delay sounds in a compact module (flanging, stereo chorusing, either a dark, resonant, mid-heavy, bright, compressed, distorted or diffused feedback , combing, looping, UFOs, sonic booms) with lots of polyrhythmic (stereo-rhythmic?) clock options. all with just a few knobs and gates…

and on the μ control:

Quote:
it’s a direct modulation input that is suitable for chorus, capstan wobble, Doppler, etc. with skew the modulation is inverted on one of the channels (the left one).
cackland
mdoudoroff wrote:

Quote:
I’m taking the MP in an entirely different direction than the EP. In short Echophon: aggressive, dirty, low-res delay; Mimeophon: clear, deep, spacious, wide-range delay. I also want to hit all my favorite delay sounds in a compact module (flanging, stereo chorusing, either a dark, resonant, mid-heavy, bright, compressed, distorted or diffused feedback , combing, looping, UFOs, sonic booms) with lots of polyrhythmic (stereo-rhythmic?) clock options. all with just a few knobs and gates…

and on the μ control:

Quote:
it’s a direct modulation input that is suitable for chorus, capstan wobble, Doppler, etc. with skew the modulation is inverted on one of the channels (the left one).

Nice to hear from the designer talk about his intentions in this module, as being a delay, plus extras.

Definitely prefer this module of the Echophon. Look forward to more demos smile
Zymos
Kinda agree about demos. That first Instagram clip turned me off before I even knew anything about it- oh, it can make chaotic glitchy mush? That's nice.
The walkthrough did intrigue me though, even though I didn't love the sounds used, it still gave me a sense that I could enjoy the module.
The Junglechrist
I will be getting this one at some point for sure, maybe even wait some time to get the Microsound system, which is something that has always appealed to me, but I will keep that dirty echophon for sure anyway, it has a very special character and the pitch shifter is missing from this new one.
iamsaitam
Yesterday I was at Superbooth and made it to the talk with Tony Rolando and Walker Farrell, where they talked about the Mimeophon and their journey into to stereo from the Echophon to now, the Mimeophon.

From what I recall:

* they are still working on the firmware, it's close to being finished but not yet
* it will ship late (end of) summer
* Tom Erbe was in charge of the DSP
* 16HP
* Clock - in
* Repeat length - out
* Flip = Reverse

From the panel:
* Zones - I think in the end it allows creating segments in the delay line, so you can have a part of the signal having a really short delay line and the other one either not affected or having the opposite (this is the part which I'm unsure)
* Color - This some kind of filtering, they mentioned Dub delays when they talked about it.. in the end it lets you change the color of the sound.
* Halo - This makes the repeats sound like a reverb tail, it's not exclusively a reverb, but the sound tends to resemble one.
* Skew - Easiest way to explain is - when it's activated (by pressing) a button, whatever the repeat length that is in the buffer, if you turn the knob (unsure about the order here) to the left side, it will make the Left channel have shorter repeats and the Right channel longer.

That's what I can recall from the top of my head.
southberry
I a bit surprised that their new microsound system doesn't include a Telharmonic ... this module is so amazing when you pair it with QPAS ... I don't understand why they let so much new modules out of sight in their videos ... (I've you seen a lot of videos including Tel, Contour or Dynamix ? ...)

Whatever this new module seems crazy . I don't need another delay but this one is very unique (the stereo skew effects first) ... it sounds like there's a bit of ErbeVerb too in it. GAS ON ...

Tel + QPAS + Mimephon can be a crazy trio
richc90
tranter wrote:
Oh, what modules are in that Tape & Micro Sound Music Machine System?

From what I remember:

Wogglebug
Maths
Mult
Morphagene
QPAS
Mimeophone
X-OH
10 HP free (or X-Pan?)
St0rMl0rD
Let's see how long it'll take me to sell my B&G Echophon and get this instead. Anyone else considering it? XOH seems like a step down from Rosie, though.
ggillon
St0rMl0rD wrote:
Let's see how long it'll take me to sell my B&G Echophon and get this instead. Anyone else considering it? XOH seems like a step down from Rosie, though.

I want this, the QPAS and the X-Pan so most likely I'll have to start a new skiff meaning I can keep the EP. I love the pitch shifting. XOH I'll pass though since I already have 2 Erica stereo mixers in a techno rack to handle the B&G outputs

modul8tr
ggillon wrote:
St0rMl0rD wrote:

I want this, the QPAS and the X-Pan so most likely I'll have to start a new skiff meaning I can keep the EP. I love the pitch shifting. XOH I'll pass though since I already have 2 Erica stereo mixers in a techno rack to handle the B&G outputs

This is what I’m thinking. Planning to keep Echophon - which I was initially disappointed in as a lover of delays, but then learned it’s fantastic if you think of it as a sound design tool rather than a delay.

Def want QPas at some point but need to have a deep dive with one first as I may prefer a second XAOC Belgrad. Based on my current system and initial vids, the rhythmic possibilities of QPAS are grabbing my attention most.

XPan I love immediately and can’t wait to integrate. Curious as to how it will play with RXMX, my filters, and Morphagene.

Mimeophone applause twisted instant buy that will make summer seem VERY long.

And of course I need more space so I’m thinking of breaking my Verbos modules out to their own case since I’m also going to add the Harmonic OSC. This will open up the top row on my Mantis case and make that case the utility expander System next to B&G and Verbos.

Very glad I didn’t buy modules last year! This year has great offerings that are right in my wheelhouse.
radin
Tom Erbe has a lot to say about the development of the soundhack/Make noise modules and the Echophon in particular on Darwin Grosse's podcase. This is from a couple years ago but still fascinating. Some really interesting insights into the initial Phonogene updates as well as some discussion regarding updating old modules and releasing brand new ones.

For those stating the Echophon's DSP is outdated: It was outdated when the Echophon was 1st released. Hear all about it here:

https://artmusictech.libsyn.com/podcast-150-tom-erbe

mdoudoroff wrote:

Quote:

and on the μ control:

Quote:
advrsry
I think I really want the new skiff
djd_oz
modul8tr wrote:

but then learned it’s fantastic if you think of it as a sound design tool rather than a delay.

would love to hear some examples on how you use it as a sound design tool
tomerbe
VortexRanger wrote:

Don’t you think “stereo multi zone color audio repeater” is more fun to say? I do. w00t

-W

so “biphonic chromazonal fugal shift” didn’t make the cut?
tomerbe
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

To be totally fair, you are absolutely right, that DSP doesn't go out of date, and I am certainly on board with the idea that the "vintage" make noise system will be eventually coveted. BUT, if I recall correctly, the echophon runs on an out of date ARM chip, which doesn't have "sound" per say, other than its less powerful than the new devices.

Just a little backgroud - the Echophon uses a Microchip DSPIC - which is the same chip used in the Phonogene. It was my first project with Make Noise, and I was eager to take advantage of all I could do on this chip. I programmed in assembly code to get the most power out of it, and really used every last cycle in the EP. I used all the tricks, even a Taylor expansion of cos() to get a smooth envelope for the pitch-shifter.

After the Echophon, I asked Tony and the gang to design a new digital board around the faster ARM chip. And true, the CPU doesn't have a sound per se, but the number of cycles available allows me to do more dynamic, involved, responsive, and accurate processing.

On the other hand, I still love my older digital effects boxes (deltalab effectron, lexicon pcm70, etc.) that are running on much, much slower processors or discrete digital electronics. They are just wonderfully designed sound machines.
Portabella
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
BUT, if I recall correctly, the echophon runs on an out of date ARM chip, which doesn't have "sound" per say, other than its less powerful than the new devices..

I hate if people say "per say" .. didn't you enjoy any education?
Muricans... https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se
oranginafiend
Portabella wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
BUT, if I recall correctly, the echophon runs on an out of date ARM chip, which doesn't have "sound" per say, other than its less powerful than the new devices..

1) not all knowledge or vocabulary is acquired through a textbook where you can see everything spelled out. sometimes you hear a word or phrase and you do your best to intuit how it's spelled.

2) there are infinitely more productive and polite ways to correct someone's misuse of the English language.

3) your own sentence structure is odd. a better choice would be "I hate when" or "I hate it when". I don't think I've ever seen "I hate if" used. also, your usage of enjoy is a bit archaic.

4) I realize that you're European and that English is probably not your first language, but it looks pretty silly for you to correct someone's English while making mistakes yourself.

5) why do you feel the need to call this out at all? last time I checked this thread is about the mimeophon and yet your post contributed nothing of value to that discussion. are you just that bored and insecure?

now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

It seems to me that this will probably replace the echophon, and I suspect one of the next modules to be given the stereo upgrade treatment will be the erbe-verb. That way the system has a full stereo chain from oscillator/morphagene into xpan into qpas into mimeophon into new XVERB.

Just speculation though.
zanscath
To me, Mimeophon isn't even close to a replacement for Echophon, it's sort of a different beast even if also a delay. From what I've seen it doesn't feature any pitch shifting or a feedback loop which are key elements for the Echophon. It does take some features from Echophon while bringing along some other stuff, a lot of them related to stereo space. Color sounds like the overall tone of the repeats while halo sounds like diffusion combined with a stereo spread effect.

Long story short, I think Mimeophon could also do non traditional reverb and all sorts of phasing/chorusing/flanging like effects. It will probably serve the role of both echophon and erbe-verb in the announced microsound system and not replace them in the shared system.
mdoudoroff
I doubt Echophon is going anywhere. It’s a fully-realized concept. The main threat to its existence is if it simply stops selling well enough in the increasingly crowded space.

I also can’t see the Erbe-verb getting updated, either, unless the lack of a stereo dry signal path begins to be seen as an annoying patching limitation by MN. Seems unlikely to happen.
Zymos
Portabella wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

Hey, leave America out of this! smack!
coolshirtdotjpg
Portabella wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

I hate if people use "if" in place of when.
coolshirtdotjpg
mdoudoroff wrote:
I doubt Echophon is going anywhere. It’s a fully-realized concept. The main threat to its existence is if it simply stops selling well enough in the increasingly crowded space.

I also can’t see the Erbe-verb getting updated, either, unless the lack of a stereo dry signal path begins to be seen as an annoying patching limitation by MN. Seems unlikely to happen.

That's what people said about the echophon six months ago when I said that was the next module getting updated. I mean, who knows, but I find it hard to believe Tom doesn't have some tricks up his sleeve given greater processing power and a stereo ins.
coolshirtdotjpg
tomerbe wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

To be totally fair, you are absolutely right, that DSP doesn't go out of date, and I am certainly on board with the idea that the "vintage" make noise system will be eventually coveted. BUT, if I recall correctly, the echophon runs on an out of date ARM chip, which doesn't have "sound" per say, other than its less powerful than the new devices.

Just a little backgroud - the Echophon uses a Microchip DSPIC - which is the same chip used in the Phonogene. It was my first project with Make Noise, and I was eager to take advantage of all I could do on this chip. I programmed in assembly code to get the most power out of it, and really used every last cycle in the EP. I used all the tricks, even a Taylor expansion of cos() to get a smooth envelope for the pitch-shifter.

After the Echophon, I asked Tony and the gang to design a new digital board around the faster ARM chip. And true, the CPU doesn't have a sound per se, but the number of cycles available allows me to do more dynamic, involved, responsive, and accurate processing.

On the other hand, I still love my older digital effects boxes (deltalab effectron, lexicon pcm70, etc.) that are running on much, much slower processors or discrete digital electronics. They are just wonderfully designed sound machines.

Hey Tom, I hope its clear that I love my echophon, and don't intend to sell it. I was just speculating that because echophon entered into a euro market that was much less saturated with DSP than it is now, the need for a powerful DSP engine was much less than it is now, when there are so many delays, etc. out there. As much as I personally love the phonogene for its unique sound/sample processing abilities, I can see why the morphogene was a massive technological upgrade and it eventually replaced the phonogene.

When I use obsolete, I don't mean "bad" or "musically irrelevant", I just meant that the technology has improved a lot in the last 10 years, and I imagine its a lot easier to get "bang for your buck" with these newer ARM processors (and sorry for miss-stating that the echophon used ARM, my mistake). I definitely did not mean to diminish these instruments in any way. As a happy owner of the SPX-90 and the Ensoniq EPS, I am definitely a fan of the aesthetics of older digital devices that use "obsolete" technology. I think all I was getting at, is that it seems like digital technology has a definite half-life for production and its hard for me to imagine that the same thing that happened with the phonogene isn't going to happen to the echophon. If its not, that's honestly great.

Finally I just wanted to emphasize that I didn't mean to diminish your hard work, or say that simply because you've introduced a new technology, the old one is irrelevant. I bought an echophon 4 or 5 years ago, sold it, and bought another one last summer because it felt like the shared system I built didn't work without it. At the very least this device is still relevant to my music and I'll be using it until it fails to boot. Cheers Guinness ftw!
tomerbe
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

Finally I just wanted to emphasize that I didn't mean to diminish your hard work, or say that simply because you've introduced a new technology, the old one is irrelevant. I bought an echophon 4 or 5 years ago, sold it, and bought another one last summer because it felt like the shared system I built didn't work without it. At the very least this device is still relevant to my music and I'll be using it until it fails to boot. Cheers Guinness ftw!

thanks - that's really nice to hear!
tomerbe
zanscath wrote:
To me, Mimeophon isn't even close to a replacement for Echophon, it's sort of a different beast even if also a delay. From what I've seen it doesn't feature any pitch shifting or a feedback loop which are key elements for the Echophon. It does take some features from Echophon while bringing along some other stuff, a lot of them related to stereo space. Color sounds like the overall tone of the repeats while halo sounds like diffusion combined with a stereo spread effect.

all of this is pretty close to the ideas i had when designing the mimeophon (though i still have a little more work to do!)

mimeophon definitely has a feedback path, but a rather complex assemblage of processing in this path that is affected by the halo, color and repeats control. all of these CVs are changing multiple internal parameters, and are tuned and tweaked to feel musically useful both when static or modulated.
gentle_attack
Mimeophone and X-Pan seem like they would be extremely righteous with that Emblematic Systems Catalyst macro performance controller.

I'm sure there are subtle uses for this in sound design, but in disruptive bursts, this seems like it would be truly awesome in a performance setting. Well done.
j259
It's not primarily the DSP power but the algorithm designer that makes the difference.

Is there any reverb in Eurorack that blends with the source as well as Erbe Verb? I haven't heard it. The other thing to note as mdoudoroff broached is it doesn't make sense to update Erbe Verb unless the algorithm becomes true stereo and/or dual mono. Otherwise it's just the dry signal being summed to mono before reverb engine anyway.

While it's true you might want recent SHARC chips for the kind of nonlinear modeling you hear in Magneto or UAD BX 20, it's worth noting that even the UAD chips are rather old and under-powered. It is only the Bricasti that depends on a custom Blackfin arrangement.

Regardless, a good immersive algorithm doesn't necessarily require a lot of DSP. Valhalla Vintage and Delay, the updated Eventide 2016 plugin and Soundtoys PrimalTap also model retro bandwidth, but these are not that intensive in terms of processing demands. Yet they sound great. Unfortunately Sean Costello has not brought his newer algorithms to Eurorack yet.

There is no eurorack room reverb like the TC4000 from 2003 with sophisticated ray traced derived and separate early reflection handling or a Quantec resonance model from 1982 (u-he Protoverb is similar) or even an SP2016 or 480L. That is more a question of priorities and approach to immersion, it's not really the DSP power that is the issue.

Similarly, there is no Eurorack dual pitched delay that sounds as good as two Eventide H910s. That is old tech.
coolshirtdotjpg
j259 wrote:
It's not primarily the DSP power but the algorithm designer that makes the difference.

Is there any reverb in Eurorack that blends with the source as well as Erbe Verb? I haven't heard it. The other thing to note as mdoudoroff broached is it doesn't make sense to update Erbe Verb unless the algorithm becomes true stereo and/or dual mono. Otherwise it's just the dry signal being summed to mono before reverb engine anyway.

While it's true you might want recent SHARC chips for the kind of nonlinear modeling you hear in Magneto or UAD BX 20, it's worth noting that even the UAD chips are rather old and under-powered. It is only the Bricasti that depends on a custom Blackfin arrangement.

Regardless, a good immersive algorithm doesn't necessarily require a lot of DSP. Valhalla Vintage and Delay, the updated Eventide 2016 plugin and Soundtoys PrimalTap also model retro bandwidth, but these are not that intensive in terms of processing demands. Yet they sound great. Unfortunately Sean Costello has not brought his newer algorithms to Eurorack yet.

There is no eurorack room reverb like the TC4000 from 2003 with sophisticated ray traced derived and separate early reflection handling or a Quantec resonance model from 1982 (u-he Protoverb is similar) or even an SP2016 or 480L. That is more a question of priorities and approach to immersion, it's not really the DSP power that is the issue.

Similarly, there is no Eurorack dual pitched delay that sounds as good as two Eventide H910s. That is old tech.

I mean, most of the old processors you mention have DSP designed specifically for the purpose its meant for. The lexicon delays, for example, have a lot of analog stuff in their circuits, and even the "digital" components are used in such a way that they are difficult to emulate. Some of the emulations of these 80s delays and reverbs take up a so much processing power on modern systems that you can only have one or two running on your computer at once. This is very different from a generic DSP chip, or a multi-purpose system on a chip like the ARM. I agree that the programming/design is what makes a great delay, but in this case, since you have the same designer/updated technology, and the original technology isn't, as far as I know, implemented in such a way that there are things that cannot be replicated in a newer chip, it would certainly be theoretically possible to create a more powerful Erbe Verb without sacrificing any of the things we like about it.

I'm sure that some of the people in this thread have a better grasp on the actual workings of the DSP than I do, but I'm very surprised that the stuff I am saying here seems controversial. If I had said, "well now my echophon is worthless" or something I'd get that, but that isn't what I was saying. I know that old digital systems are interesting, but I just don't think what was interesting about the echophon came from the architecture.
j259
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

I mean, most of the old processors you mention have DSP designed specifically for the purpose its meant for. The lexicon delays, for example, have a lot of analog stuff in their circuits, and even the "digital" components are used in such a way that they are difficult to emulate. Some of the emulations of these 80s delays and reverbs take up a so much processing power on modern systems that you can only have one or two running on your computer at once.

I addressed this in my post when I said nonlinear modeling.

Yet the SP2016 and H910 plugins do not use a lot of CPU. Nor does PrimalTap. These all model the signal path and low bandwidth processing with a kind of code wrapper.

Nor do Relab reverbs, although VSR S24 (based on TC6000) uses slightly more than LX480. The latter does rooms way better than any Eurorack room reverb, because of the algorithm, not the DSP.

Waves Abbey Road Plates and Chambers use a lot of CPU but they are doing some kind of sophisticated modeling with physical objects.

The UAD SHARC chips are notoriously underpowered. You can actually see this by comparing the usage of H910 on UAD vs native.

I suspect updating Erbe Verb is not a DSP chip issue, but more that he would have to redesign everything from ground up (it would be a different stereo algorithm(s)), and he may want to develop new products rather than redo old ones.
southberry
I will be more interested in a new reverb than in a Erbeverb 2. I love my first one I would like to have a different reverb from MN ... like I never clicked with the Echophon but the Mimeophon is more the kind of FX I'm looking for ... I don't see this module as a Echophon mk2.
JakoGreyshire
1.) I would greatly enjoy seeing, hearing, and playing with the Echophon patched into the Mimeophon..

2.) Someone, somewhere, who has not read this thread or others like it, will think that their Echophon is worthless and want to "upgrade" to the Mimeophon. They will sell the Echophon for a cheap price and someone else will be a lucky person to buy it.

"These are not the droids you are looking for!" (wave hand) "You will sell me your Echophon for a cheap price!" (wave hand again)...

hihi Jedi hihi

Just kidding... I'd happily pay full price for make noise/soundhack, Par syeay but discounted is not bad either..

Say Tom, you know how the Erb Verb does that cool self oscillation when the Decay is turned up and patching a EG into the mix gets some cool snare/percussion sounds? Does the Mimieophon have any cool self osc tricks up its sleeves? If not, then it's probably possible with some feedback patching, I'm guessing...

MMMmmm, feedback patching...... Drunken Homer Simpson
zanscath
tomerbe wrote:
mimeophon definitely has a feedback path

I was trying to say that the feedback loop/path is not exposed for patching like it is on the Echophon.

Anyway, really looking forward to it.
tomerbe
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Say Tom, you know how the Erb Verb does that cool self oscillation when the Decay is turned up and patching a EG into the mix gets some cool snare/percussion sounds? Does the Mimieophon have any cool self osc tricks up its sleeves? If not, then it's probably possible with some feedback patching, I'm guessing...

still tuning and tweaking the module - but at the moment the maximum feedback gain in mimeophon is around 150%.... should be lots of fun self-oscillation, though different flavors than erbe-verb.
RhodanV5500
Luckily (for me) everyone seemed to be focused on Walker this Friday at Superbooth.

Therefore I was able to get, what felt like a 30-45 minute, walkthrough of the Microsound System (that I was most interested in anyway). Lucky me ☺️

My takeaway of Mimeophon was that in my perception it sits in a different category than Magneto and Chronoblob.

To me Chronblob is a very clean digital sounding delay and I mean that in a very good way. And it has all the right CV parameters. But I personally didn't click with it. I could never get to the spot where I got lost in it. But that's just a matter of taste I guess.

Wheras to me Magneto is very thick, very dark and of course intentually very analog sounding. I also find it very creative and performable, which is somewhat weird, because for my taste it lacks some of the most interesting CV parameters, like Crinkle and Wow & Flutter. Having these under CV control would make it an even greater creative tool. And finally just to state it: I really love Magneto, what a beauty love

This (to me) is where Mimeophon comes in. It can be bright, it can be dark, at least that's what I've been told wink It is very performable, it seems to have all the right CV parameters and I can certainly see myself getting lost in it for days. But (as with all the Make Noise Stuff) to me it is (intentionally?) somewhat confusing. So there is going to be the usual leaning curve.

In the end I really enjoyed it, would like to thank Make Noise for their time and am looking forward to the final version.
coolshirtdotjpg
j259 wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

I mean, most of the old processors you mention have DSP designed specifically for the purpose its meant for. The lexicon delays, for example, have a lot of analog stuff in their circuits, and even the "digital" components are used in such a way that they are difficult to emulate. Some of the emulations of these 80s delays and reverbs take up a so much processing power on modern systems that you can only have one or two running on your computer at once.

I addressed this in my post when I said nonlinear modeling.

Yet the SP2016 and H910 plugins do not use a lot of CPU. Nor does PrimalTap. These all model the signal path and low bandwidth processing with a kind of code wrapper.

Nor do Relab reverbs, although VSR S24 (based on TC6000) uses slightly more than LX480. The latter does rooms way better than any Eurorack room reverb, because of the algorithm, not the DSP.

Waves Abbey Road Plates and Chambers use a lot of CPU but they are doing some kind of sophisticated modeling with physical objects.

The UAD SHARC chips are notoriously underpowered. You can actually see this by comparing the usage of H910 on UAD vs native.

I suspect updating Erbe Verb is not a DSP chip issue, but more that he would have to redesign everything from ground up (it would be a different stereo algorithm(s)), and he may want to develop new products rather than redo old ones.

First off, thank you for bringing a lot of information to the discussion. I don't really have much to respond with since I largely agree with you, except that in those cases, where the algorithm is all that is necessary to the sound, there's no reason to own those boxes if you just emulate (other than personal preference for the interface). In that case, I would argue that hardware is obsolete since it is, by definition not the hardware that produces the characteristics of the sound.

As far as the erbe verb, while I like the sound, I personally find it a bit lo-fi (not a bad thing) and while I cannot precisely articulate exactly what I would change, I would say that it would certainly be possible emulate a broader range of reverbs, add true stereo, and perhaps a few other alterations to the sound (or perhaps create a more complex delay feedback network) that would expand its capabilities.

I find it a bit odd to argue here since I am not versed in designing DSP for reverbs, but I certainly know what I'm hearing when I'm listening to the other reverbs, that to me, sound higher fidelity than the Erbe Verb. It seems self evident from listening to it, that while its a unique reverb with a lot of character, there's a lot more territory it could cover, and it could benefit from a MK2 that allows for things like lush plate reverbs with longer reverb times. I don't know, maybe there is literally nothing that can be done to make the erbe verb more versatile and add true stereo, but I doubt it. Anyway, this discussion is hard to have because I can't specifically articulate what I think could be improved, but it just seems so intuitively clear to me from hearing other reverbs that it could.

I don't know, it's just weird to me, because every time this discussion comes up the assumption is that I'm using it wrong, but I have never, for example, heard a use of the erbe verb that remotely sound like a Valhalla reverb, for example. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I imagine that given the processing power of the newer ARM chips, it would be possible to having something metallic and interesting like the erbe verb that is capable or emulating a broader range of reverbs. Maybe not. I suppose it depends on what Tom and MN are interested in doing. They certainly seem interested in producing both updates to earlier modules and new modules that serve similar enough functions to be named similarly. Maybe what I'm imagining is not technically a MK2, but historically even though the morphogene was not a phongene mk2, the phonogene went away when it was introduced. I don't know, I feel like some of this is bordering on semantics.
tomerbe
RhodanV5500 wrote:

This (to me) is where Mimeophon comes in. It can be bright, it can be dark, at least that's what I've been told wink

note to self: more dark range....

thanks for the post!!
Funky40
JakoGreyshire wrote:
1.) I would greatly enjoy seeing, hearing, and playing with the Echophon patched into the Mimeophon..

thats exactly the direction i´m working towards right now !
means: I´m waiting, haha
hyper hyper
electricanada
nios wrote:

Imagine what Mutable would sell it for. Then add $200.
Funky40
tomerbe wrote:
RhodanV5500 wrote:

This (to me) is where Mimeophon comes in. It can be bright, it can be dark, at least that's what I've been told wink

note to self: more dark range....

thanks for the post!!

for what "I" will head with the mimeophone, will i VERY MUCH like all the highs hihi wink

everybody is doing these days a tapestyle dub plus something delay.
all of them are dark. its covered wink
but working more with the highs ---->when resonating .......has imho some open territory to it.
how about some filtering or even filterbank action within the feedback path ?
activated like a compressor would activate gain reduction, etc.
....to get "interesting control" over the blooming effect when dialing in a high feedback amount.

just an old thought from me. NO clue what you guys are allready implementing into your computer "trickery" and magic wink

anyway, ......tapping with my foot on the ground, unpatiently waiting.
Juts give it its time wink
coolshirtdotjpg
The more I think about the way this works, the more I want to add it, along with Qpas into my system, I already have six delays, or things that can function as delays in my system, but there is so much you can build out of just delay systems, especially in euro.
Funky40
delays are overrated lol

wink
cackland
electricanada wrote:
nios wrote:

Imagine what Mutable would sell it for. Then add $200.

I would take a gamble bid of $300 - $400. Hoping less of course :p
j259
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:

I don't really have much to respond with since I largely agree with you, except that in those cases, where the algorithm is all that is necessary to the sound, there's no reason to own those boxes if you just emulate (other than personal preference for the interface). In that case, I would argue that hardware is obsolete since it is, by definition not the hardware that produces the characteristics of the sound.

As far as the erbe verb, while I like the sound, I personally find it a bit lo-fi (not a bad thing) and while I cannot precisely articulate exactly what I would change, I would say that it would certainly be possible emulate a broader range of reverbs, add true stereo, and perhaps a few other alterations to the sound (or perhaps create a more complex delay feedback network) that would expand its capabilities.

I don't know, I feel like some of this is bordering on semantics.

Yes I think you are right in this entire post.

The algorithms are the thing, and while lower bandwidth can help an fx blend within a mix and sometimes sound grittier or glitchy (for example, Lexicon Prime Time/Soundtoys PrimalTap) in an appealing away, fundamentally you still have a good fx if the core immersion is there in the modeling, as one can hear from Relab LX480 which really nails the 480L large wood room (seems like the UAD does too), and Martin Lind even added a Random Hall version with denser early reflections.

I agree also that Erbe Verb is lofi in the sense that it's metallic but also the feedback delay network and all pass filters are nothing new, and yet the modularized reverb components are new and fantastic blending with source which arises from the taste of the designer.

But of course you don't get the dense early reflection modeling that you do with a more advanced room reverb like a TC or Bricasti or Exponential Audio Nimbus, or stereo space and panned elements which are preserved in the wet signal in both early and the tail. That's important when you are actually working with stereo-captured sources, not merely the panned sources we are used to in modular.

And I personally feel that room reverbs are well suited to the kind of woody/LPG and cello-like string and reedy sounds you often get in modular, vs the more conventional spring and plate sounds.

So in that respect I agree that it would be great to see a more advanced true stereo room generator that is as modular as the Erbe Verb. After all, reverb is the sound of rooms. This I would consider hifi, along the lines of what you implied.
JakoGreyshire
j259 wrote:

I agree also that Erbe Verb is lofi in the sense that it's metallic but also the feedback delay network and all pass filters are nothing new, and yet the modularized reverb components are new and fantastic blending with source which arises from the taste of the designer.

I'll try to not stray off topic here but all of our talk about feedback patching and the Erbe Verb reminds me of Walker's Dub Delay video...

I'm looking forward to some of this type of feedback patching with the Mimeophon.

coolshirtdotjpg
Funky40 wrote:
delays are overrated lol

wink

"I heard you the first time!"
southberry
I'm so curious to ear more demoes. Delays and repeats, looping delays are quite common, but like with every MN (and especially the Soundhack ones) everything is about the timbres and colors.
Like few said, Halo and large Zone tends to create kind of lush reverbs feedback, and it reminds me a lot when you play with infinite decay on the EV.
(it can also sound like a sort of delay sometimes)
If Mimeophon is really capable of this, it's really a module for me ...
R.U.Nuts
Funky40 wrote:

everybody is doing these days a tapestyle dub plus something delay.
all of them are dark. its covered wink
but working more with the highs ---->when resonating .......has imho some open territory to it.
how about some filtering or even filterbank action within the feedback path ?
activated like a compressor would activate gain reduction, etc.
....to get "interesting control" over the blooming effect when dialing in a high feedback amount.

That's actually nothing new. Especially in Dub music highpass filtering or midrange boost is a common practice since a long time. The classic Space Echo had low- and highpass filters and delays are often used in a feedback path through the mixing desk so you can control the feedback amount with the delay channel's fader and the color of the delay trails with the channel's EQ.
That makes perfectly sense especially if you have high feedback settings the delays won't interfere with your mix that much when you apply highpass filtering or a boost of high mids. Whereas you drown everything in muddy warbles if you apply lowpass filtering on the delay.
And it makes perfect sense for Makenoise to build in a color control into their delay since Makenoise seem to have a design philosophy which is about having everything in a compact system including the stuff needed to create the final mix within the system and not having to rely on an external mixing desk where you can apply the aforementioned feedback trick.
Parhelic
https://youtu.be/qH1mckzVuiw
Funky40
R.U.Nuts wrote:

That makes perfectly sense especially if you have high feedback settings the delays won't interfere with your mix that much when you apply highpass filtering or a boost of high mids. Whereas you drown everything in muddy warbles if you apply lowpass filtering on the delay.

exactly wink

edit: shortened wink
edit2: having now a different view to what the mimeophone is after watching Bens Video.

i´m VERY curious to see in real own use what Zone all can and will do w00t
Voggg
If I were starting today this would probably be my choice for stereo delay but I have a few already.

If Make Noise, Soundhack, Verbos and Intellijel can collaborate on a single stereo multitap chromatic repeater module in 24hp, delay addicts like me could finally be satisfied w00t w00t w00t
12eightyfive
Anyone got any guesses as to how much power this will take? Coming up to my power limit on this MN case with shared system stuff plus QPAS plus this.
cackland
Voggg wrote:

If Make Noise, Soundhack, Verbos and Intellijel can collaborate on a single stereo multitap chromatic repeater module in 24hp, delay addicts like me could finally be satisfied w00t w00t w00t

If only
shredsickgnar
cackland wrote:
Voggg wrote:

If only

Would never work. Too many Chefs in the kitchen
suthnear
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Make-Noise-Mimeopho n-Multi-Color-Zone-Stereo-Repeater/32IP

No price yet
hawkfuzz
12eightyfive wrote:
Anyone got any guesses as to how much power this will take? Coming up to my power limit on this MN case with shared system stuff plus QPAS plus this.

You’re gonna need an upgrade regardless

100ma 12
10ma -12
bemushroomed
I guess this has no sync to clock, like the DLD? It was never asked or mentioned in the demo video. To me it's usually the most important / interesting aspect of a delay.
windspirit
It says "Tempo Sync for Doppler Free modulation of Rate, create complex repeat patterns" although I cant tell which jack it is.
hlprmnky
windspirit wrote:
It says "Tempo Sync for Doppler Free modulation of Rate, create complex repeat patterns" although I cant tell which jack it is.

There are two jacks on the lower left of the panel that aren’t explicitly tied to any of the panel controls, one has the standard MN “gate/trigger input” glyph and the other has a square-wave glyph I haven’t seen before - maybe one-shot vs. clock inputs?
luketeaford
hlprmnky wrote:
There are two jacks on the lower left of the panel that aren’t explicitly tied to any of the panel controls, one has the standard MN “gate/trigger input” glyph and the other has a square-wave glyph I haven’t seen before - maybe one-shot vs. clock inputs?

The one that looks like the symbol by wogglebug's clock output is the Mimeophon clock output I'm guessing.

The one below it looks like the EOR and EOC on Maths, so my bet is that's the clock input.
southberry
I'm waiting for more demo. I'm very interested in the "Halo" part which seems to sound a lot like a reverb and the stereo stuff. Curious to see if it can do predictable things too ...
Since I add SWN into my rig, my ErbeVerb and its mono input is sad ... there's a lack of good stereo reverb beyond the basic 2/3 HP modules and I waiting for the Endorphines Milky Way. But maybe I will need both grin
mdoudoroff
Of those bottom left jacks, the top jack is the clock INPUT. The bottom jack is a gate OUTPUT (clock out). (from Tom Erbe over on Lines, https://llllllll.co/t/make-noise-mimeophon/22265/85)

Note that the clock input jack is demonstrated in DivKid’s Superbooth video.
bemushroomed
windspirit wrote:

Ok, thanks, didn't notice that.
luketeaford
mdoudoroff wrote:
Of those bottom left jacks, the top jack is the clock INPUT. The bottom jack is a gate OUTPUT (clock out). (from Tom Erbe over on Lines, https://llllllll.co/t/make-noise-mimeophon/22265/85)

Note that the clock input jack is demonstrated in DivKid’s Superbooth video.

Thanks for clarifying!
art decadence
Pre ordered mine yesterday! can't wait to get in the "zone".
makenoise
The Mimeophon manual is here!

http://makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/mimeophon-manual.pdf
jsp549
Will patching the L output into FX/filters and back into the R input create a feedback loop on the right channel assuming mix is a 100%?

My main concern for replacing my Echophon w the Mimeophon is the lack of a FB In/Out
hawkfuzz
I think that works. Read the manual. A lot of panning and stereo FX in there so it might be weird in a very fun way.
Southfork
Anyone else see the way the colour coded algorithms work on this and think, they should do this on the erbe verb... stereo in and out too.
Funky40
i like the Manual. Great Work !

is the Mimeophone updateable ?
Magnetophone was, right ? so its to expect the Mimeophone is also, right ?
not seen anything in the Manual
organon
Southfork wrote:
Anyone else see the way the colour coded algorithms work on this and think, they should do this on the erbe verb... stereo in and out too.

It’s not really different “algorithms”, Zone just selects different scalings of the Rate knob. At least that’s how I understand it.
Southfork
organon wrote:
Southfork wrote:

It’s not really different “algorithms”, Zone just selects different scalings of the Rate knob. At least that’s how I understand it.

True, just would be nice to see some extra flavors in the same module.
makenoise
jsp549 wrote:
Will patching the L output into FX/filters and back into the R input create a feedback loop on the right channel assuming mix is a 100%?

The left and right channels are independent unless you are using Ping Pong and/or Halo. So you could do a Dual Mono path, or patch one output into the opposite input as you have suggested.

EDIT: this would not be quite the same as the open feedback path on the Echophon.
davidjames
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but couldn't you create a feedback path by patching your dry signal to a stereo sub-mixer and then to Mimeo, then mult the Mimeo outputs to that sub-mixer (or through other devices first) and to the end of chain mixer?
davidh
I may be wrong but is repeats not a feedback loop ?
if yes of course it's inside the module you can't process it further.
krell
I'm very curious to pair this with my QPAS Rockin' Banana! Does anyone know when proper demos will be up? (based on experience etc)
davidjames
davidjames wrote:
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but couldn't you create a feedback path by patching your dry signal to a stereo sub-mixer and then to Mimeo, then mult the Mimeo outputs to that sub-mixer (or through other devices first) and to the end of chain mixer?

Like this?

organon
No, this isn’t magically going to create an open feedback path. As MakeNoise already stated there is no open feedback path on the Mimeophon so there’s no way to create one externally. The Repeats knob regulates the feedback internally and there’s no way to tap into that from the outside. Maybe you should patch around with some Max/Msp and learn about the basic anatomy of a delay effect to understand the concepts.
In the drawing you have definitely created a feedback path, but not one that feeds the pure delay line back into the input of the Mimeophon.
tomerbe
if you set

repeats CCW
halo CCW
color 3 o'clock (white)

you will have a straight delay line
you can then do any sort of external feedback processing
tomerbe
davidh wrote:
I may be wrong but is repeats not a feedback loop ?
if yes of course it's inside the module you can't process it further.

i calibrated the scaling of this control by counting the number of audible repetitions (t60), rather than scaling it by the linear feedback percentage. in addition, this control turns up the internal compression past 11 and the saturation past 3 oclock.

in short, "repeats" seemed a better name, because this cv controls more than just the feedback amount.
Funky40
tomerbe wrote:
if you set

repeats CCW
halo CCW
color 3 o'clock (white)

you will have a straight delay line
you can then do any sort of external feedback processing

put it please into the Manual !!!
......plus a graphic how to patch it ? ...please wink

otherwise: screaming goo yo hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper screaming goo yo
mdoudoroff
Not particularly “revealing”, but pretty cool nonetheless. (I think).

Funky40
thanks for posting ! but, "for me, was it a waiste of time to watch this.

i must guess that he got that thing for free.........? or are this pay-jobs ?
Cuckoo does not mention anything.
anyway, guess his not the right guy to demo such thing.
cackland
Funky40 wrote:
thanks for posting ! but, "for me, was it a waiste of time to watch this.

i must guess that he got that thing for free.........? or are this pay-jobs ?
Cuckoo does not mention anything.

I don't agree with this.

Whether Cuckoo got 'gifted' this or not, isn't the point. The point is that he wanted to display a small performance with this new module. Who knows if Cuckoo will reveal an 'in-depth' review of this module, only time will tell.

Thanks for sharing.
bemushroomed
Yeah i'd prefer audio examples (DivKid does a good job with this). Cuckoo is often more about using instruments in a musical way.

Not too interesting to me, maybe decent musically but i'll wait for a DivKid demo..

Pretty sure they get to keep the modules, most of the time..
medium Rob
Funky40 wrote:

maybe his audience, many of whom aren't necessarily 'modular-minded', might think it's pretty cool. seems like good marketing to me.. a lot of people are already hyped on this module.
Tenderosa
Enjoyed that. Sound wise that feedback drone tone coming out of the Mimeophon was fantastic & not something I'd imagined it doing.

Enjoying the move in the YT music tech scene away from this knob does that demo too. Musical context is good.
zlotan
I liked this video a lot! Its not a demo! Some nice music instead!
nectarios
mdoudoroff wrote:
Not particularly “revealing”, but pretty cool nonetheless. (I think).

Nice, not as nice as the Mysteron, although they are different things of course.
I like Cuckoo's jams personally.

At first I was sure I was giving Mimeophone a miss because it costs so much and because I got Valhalla Delay. I am not yet on the fence about the Mimeophone, but kinda getting some GAS for it...for some reason I cannot indentify, so I am just going to say its just general GAS.

Going to wait to demo it at my local shop and decide after I take it for a spin. Might be one of those modules I don't need but can see my self picking up used down a few years for cheap.
Funky40
OT, cuckoo demo related

bemushroomed wrote:
Cuckoo is often more about using instruments in a musical way.

finally, i totally like "musical demos" vs. plain explanation things.
and i like Cuckoos work AND style usually. To make this both clear wink
( While Ben brings both under one hat, even reaching *top* level sounds just on the go........which is then another .....topic wink )

i think people underestimate here that a experienced electronic musician can make "Nice" Music with just about *everything*,
......plus having fun at the same time, with a smile wink
personally i thought thats just not the whole point when doing professional demos.

Cuckoo has even not showed me in his video what the sound source was,
at least would i expect to get an idea of: "bevore" and "after". But i didn´t.
NOT knowing all the modules on the market, ...i had no clue what modules he was using there and what they do.
......thats a lame work finally.......and sold as a "user Demo" which i MUCH doubt it was, since the Mimeophone is not yet in the shops.

personally, i know ....upfront......what the mimeophone is capable of doing.
The manual gives GOOD insight wink
anyway, ...my shop has theirs on its way was told to me......( but could be they lie......)
I´ll see soon enough....... screaming goo yo
snadge
Being an owner of powercore hardware and tap factory I love this sort of stuff but neither this or rainmaker would tempt me to replace it, too much HP to replace well written software emulations which surpass the functions available.
starthief
I have a few favorite delay plugins that I like for end of chain uses...

But I do recognize the value of a delay in the rack that can be CV'd, synced to modular clocks, used in feedback loops without going through the DAW, super tweakable by hand, etc.

A few months ago I wrote up a list of features I would want in my ideal, dream delay. Mimeophon seems to me like Make Noise read that list, decided to do everything except feedback send/return jacks (I can cope hihi), but put their own characteristic spin on it which improved it in the process.
teamhobson
Loopop posted a teaser of a forthcoming mimeophon review It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

No one does it better than Loopop in my opinion.
Nutritional Zero
It clearly depends what you’re looking for... When I was starting out I watched a lot of DivKid and Loopop extensively because I needed more detailed and specific examples of how to actually operate the module. I still go back to these videos often!

But now that I’ve been around a couple of years, I find what’s lacking is more, dare I say, personal, emotional musical examples. Cuckoo always brings the context back to his own practice as a musician and performer.

We need both technical overviews and testimonial evidence. Neither can stand on its own.
exper
teamhobson wrote:
Loopop posted a teaser of a forthcoming mimeophon review It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

No one does it better than Loopop in my opinion.

Yes, agreed. I've started to seek out loopop's videos on gear I'm looking to buy. Saves me time and frustration tbh. It will be interesting to see him do more module reviews I think.
makenoise
Mimeophon overview video will premiere on the Make Noise YouTube channel, Wednesday at 12pm Eastern. Come join us at for a live chat during the premiere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNS7uL0EeA
mdoudoroff
I am most certainly and eagerly looking forward to your video, but I will pass on the live chat.
razz
Nutritional Zero
At least it’s not Instagram chat.
cackland
Nice. Been waiting for the official video smile
guigui
Man, I can't wait to see the Loopop review.

"Turns out there's quite an interesting sounding mini-synth hidden inside Mimeophon by Make Noise

Karplus-Strong in delays isn't new, but there's a unique character to this one, it's particularly playable, not to mention a little stereo harmonics trick I'll show you in the main video."
Nutritional Zero
That micro-rate input is insane
Aaronautical001
The video is now live. Some very interesting effects shown in the video. I'd very much like to see some more demos before i take the plunge (I purchased magneto 7 months ago, so will need to consider my systems needs before purchasing this). But there seems to be a large amount of potential in this, with some great ability to transform sounds. . Watching closely. Also the video with Tom Erb is a great addition. Congratulations to both Make Noise and Tom Erbe on the work on this!
ignatius
anyone done a video of this thing w/beats getting mangled in it? i haven't found one yet... but i confess to not looking too hard.
Funky40
so the video has confirmed that the mimeophone can do what i initially "hoped" the Qu-bit Prism allready could and much "thought" the Mimeo will do finally.
The Mimeophone is *excatly* what i´m waiting for since many years !

...buying any possible Delay, modular as well as VST, just to see how far i can go abusing those.
the Prism is not bad, actually a very useful modul, but the sweetspot for me is *VERY* limited in regards to the inbetween of karplus vs. delay (musical-FSU territory)
Funky40
but nobody would ever answer if the mimeo can be updated ?
i would like to see this confirmed. Understandable, right ?
makenoise
Funky40 wrote:
but nobody would ever answer if the mimeo can be updated ?
i would like to see this confirmed. Understandable, right ?

It's updatable via audio bootload like our other current digital modules.
nectarios
Some cool stuff in the video. Seems like some cool looping and windowing bits from the 4ms DLD + Parasites Looping Delay from Clouds + some extra small things, without the pitch shifter and separate reverb.

If I didn't have any delays I would be keen, maybe.
Cool module, steep price.
makenoise
We have also posted a video of a long discussion between Tom and Walker about the design and development of the Mimeophon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KziP2Q-fVhM
Funky40
makenoise wrote:

Great ! Thanks !

very excited, to say the least w00t

i won´t go and throw out all my delays, but since i have doubles, and since i want to double the mimeo directly...... Dead Banana ......... woah
the good thing is, i know exactly which delay is good for what.
I even don´t look at these things as beeing delays, haha
DELAY !?! WHAT ??? ...............Noooooo wink

my first patch will be a ping/trigger into the Haible frequenzy shifter then into the mimeophone w00t
jonpines
Excellent video, I'm sold.

Looks like a numbers run is in order so I can afford this thing...
cackland
Yes, the video did sell it for me.

And the interview with Tom Erbe thumbs up
synonymist
makenoise wrote:
We have also posted a video of a long discussion between Tom and Walker about the design and development of the Mimeophon:

Very nice. Thank you.

The Effectron's influence on Tom's design thinking was interesting. And seeing that Effectron really took me back. smile
Hezza11
God, really wish I hadn't watched that video.

Right, what do I sell to make room for it then...
SB-SIX
Still in doubt about buying the mimeophon or a monsoon. I think there's quite some overlap, but I think monsoon (parasites) will be even more versatile. I had a clouds so I know what to expect from monsoon but what would be in favor of the mimeophon?
nectarios
SB-SIX wrote:
Still in doubt about buying the mimeophon or a monsoon. I think there's quite some overlap, but I think monsoon (parasites) will be even more versatile. I had a clouds so I know what to expect from monsoon but what would be in favor of the mimeophon?

I am the same because of Parasites uClouds.
What I am liking on Mimeophone is the "DLD" side of things, meaning a non pitched rate change, looping and windowing...Its also hard for me to spend twice the cash of a uClouds for something that has so much overlap with Parasites Looping Delay...of course its hard not to take into account that Looping Delay is just one of the many Clouds' modes.

I am waiting for future videos to see more on it...Its a very nice module, but the competition is high now days and so far, I am not sold.

But I should stress that after getting Valhalla Delay for 50euros, teh bar has been raised very high for everything else...
synonymist
SB-SIX wrote:
I had a clouds so I know what to expect from monsoon but what would be in favor of the mimeophon?

Much higher quality delay audio if you value that.
cackland
Although I'm for the Mimeophon, what I'm not liking about it is the inability to control each left and right delay buffers when SKEW is active. I understand controls were consolidated to control both relatively, however in comparison to the 4MS DLD (yes, I'm aware its a dual delay module), I really employ the individual controls of both delay buffers.

Can't have it all. Looking forward to more demo videos from the community before I make the purchase.
Funky40
personally, i can´t see me doing the same thing on one module and then the same on the other.
mimeophone vs. Clouds vs. DLD vs. Valhalla delay ( VST ).
they will lead, at least to me, to an entirely different way of working and entirely different outcomes.

skew is the stereo spread, time up-down, L-R, thing, right ?
i think this will be interesting to see how it will work with commonly long delaytimes/ longer frames and how musical, in sync, this will turn out.
Guess thats the only part i could tell i missed in the video.
starthief
I don't really think there's much overlap between Parasite delay and Mimeophon. I just got a Supercell, and I'm 98% sure I'm going to pick up a Mimeophon too and let go of my other hardware delays.
natureclubcassettes
makenoise wrote:

really loved this
bemushroomed
yeah the interview was great smile

i can see myself making room for this eventually..
SB-SIX
starthief wrote:
I don't really think there's much overlap between Parasite delay and Mimeophon. I just got a Supercell, and I'm 98% sure I'm going to pick up a Mimeophon too and let go of my other hardware delays.

Not much overlap? Both can delay, smear the delay taps (halo vs one of the blend modes), filter the taps (color), can be used as resonator/karplus, can change delay times with or without pitch shifting, can be used as reverb. They are not the same but there is overlap for sure. With monsoon (or supercell) it's all cv controllable as well. But yeah like Funky40 said, it will probably give a different result when you use it. Having both is always better smile
autopoiesis
fwiw, on the clouds looping delay (same is true of the parasites iteration on it), Diffusion smears the taps and isn't tied to Blend. the bigger versions of those modules break out the different blend modes so you can tweak and send CV to dry/wet, panning, feedback, and reverb amount simultaneously rather than only one at a time.

but I agree overall on the comparison - there is actually a fair amount of overlap between the two modules in many basic uses. some salient differences: the maximum length of the buffer that you can freeze on clouds is a lot smaller than on mimeophone, there is nothing like a "zone" control (size of the sampling window feeing into the delay line) on the clouds delay unless the buffer is frozen, no independent rate controls across Left & Right (skew on mimeophone), mimeophone probably sounds more hifi overall, and the clouds delay can pitch-shift the audio whereas mimeophone has no pitch-shifting facilities besides incidental pitch-shifting produced by modulating Rate while mimeophone is clocked. plus, attenuverters everyhwere and nice make noise ergonomics on the mimeophone.
starthief
Parasite delay seems to have some built-in wow and flutter. It's nice and tapelike especially at lower quality modes, but it doesn't do super clean.

The "color" is just a basic lowpass or highpass filter, and the diffusion can be nice but doesn't sound much like Mimeophon's Halo.

It doesn't have zones, and clock speed changes (even using the internal divider) cause dopplering. It also doesn't track slower clocks very well and introduces a pitch wobble at every clock. And freezing changes the meaning of knobs, and thus the rate of repeats.

The delay mode doesn't do Karplus, but of course there's the resonator mode for that. Still, I think Karplus in Mimeophon sounds better than I've heard from any other delay.

Also I seem to recall that micro rate modulation while synced on Mimeophon does chorusing?

So that's why I'm going to have both. Also so I can use other clouds modes plus a delay smile
Fog Door
Damn, I'd decided I wasn't getting this but it just looks too good

love
Funky40
starthief wrote:
Still, I think Karplus in Mimeophon sounds better than I've heard from any other delay.

I think the same ! ........108% Goldfactor hihi

tl;.........
But i also think "Karplus" in modular is a wide field of specific uses.
_plain Karplus strong doing "synth-lines".
_Or just doing single percussion/Drum Hits.*
*The plain awesomeness of a given sound counts on this one really much.
_But the real fun part for me has allways been the all inbetween between a nice resonating Tap and then a "ratatata" into a more common delay....and then back hihi .**
_ **and then there´s the "tapespeed-pitch effect that can count here also ( for me very much in fact)

i see the mimeophone for me doing the karplus synthlines. The Demo video had awesome passages ! love
the jumping inbetween will be interesting to explore.
Time will tell. I´m in fact quite excited upfront ( long time not happened).
Southfork
starthief wrote:
Still, I think Karplus in Mimeophon sounds better than I've heard from any other delay.

From the demo’s I’ve heard from the mimeophon the Mungo d0 still sounds better for Karplus, more fine detail, smaller delay times.
Mend
nectarios wrote:
But I should stress that after getting Valhalla Delay for 50euros, teh bar has been raised very high for everything else...
Agree. Valhalla Delay is so damn good!
nectarios
Mend wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Agree. Valhalla Delay is so damn good!

Unfortunately can't be ported to the Z-DSP...and even if it did, too few parameters from the hardware with respect to what is available to tweak on the software.

I would be happy for a cut-down version too, but according to Mr Costello, the Z-DSP doesn't have enough DSP...oh well.

But yeah, so many different delay algos, the BBD sounds better than the MF-104 I've played with and I love analog...Max4Live LFOs and sequencers can be assigned to control its parameters...so yeah, Valhalla Delay (and Byome) has wiped the floor for me when it comes to delays, that is before we take into account that it costs 50euros!...of course its software...but software is running into all digital delay modules as well and granted DSP, PCBs, jacks cost money obviously, when it comes to end result, Valhalla is the top.

Anyhow, went off topic...back to the subject.
dekemcculo
cant wait for the microsound machine. this plus qpas plus morphagene?? im excited just thinking of the juicy sounds ppl will make! i have very little interest in stereo in general, but the way make noise has been implementing it seems like the gold standard - simplified down from the two-of-them mode, but with plenty of control and cv-ability smile
donrock
Does anyone know if Mimeophon will actually be 30mm deep, or is it 30mm + power cable like Morphagene?
mdoudoroff
Warm up your credit cards.

suthnear
mdoudoroff wrote:

lol
cackland
Ahh the much needed walkthrough. Thanks for posting
cackland
I agree with Loopop, the ability to reset the buffer is a good option. A long press (3 seconds) on ‘hold’ could work.

Perhaps MN will add suggestions to future firmware updates
teamhobson
Can't wait to get into the Loopop video later. The Monsoon Vs Mimeophon discussion couldn't have come at a better time for me - great insights into some of the overlap on these 2 - only got room in the case for one.
The_hitcher
mdoudoroff wrote:

Pre-ordered after a few too many chardonnays. Woke up to a cranky cc the next day.
Pighood
If I didn’t already have an Echophon, I’d be all over this.
Eurocat
Pighood wrote:

I sold my Echophon to buy this.
Pighood
Eurocat wrote:
Pighood wrote:

Is there anything you miss about the Echophon you miss that isn’t in the Mim?
ggillon
Pighood wrote:
Eurocat wrote:
Pighood wrote:

Is there anything you miss about the Echophon you miss that isn’t in the Mim?

I just put my EP for sale since I placed an order for the Mimeophon and I guess the only thing I'll miss is the pitch shifting abilities. The feedback in and outs were also nice I guess if you want to send them to some FX but I never really took the time to explore that function.

I was mostly afraid to lose the sync in but it's still there so with all the added stuff like stereo and filter I don't think I'll regret the EP
makenoise
Dronetone layering with Mimeophon!
We'll take a droning DPO, hand-sequence it with René, process it in stereo with the Mimeophon, and then travel to Zone 7 for long-form harmonic layering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6s7x_kK56o
teamhobson
makenoise wrote:
We'll take a droning DPO, hand-sequence it with René, process it in stereo with the Mimeophon, and then travel to Zone 7 for long-form harmonic layering.

Eek! Wonderful...
starthief
WOW that sounds good. Om
Funky40
Interesting !

when will the mimeophone be at the dealers ? (uk)
gear4music is cheating with fake ship dates !
Would be welcome to know a real date
hyper

edit: and:

so the u-rate modulation works on each zone ?
does the time range of the u-rate changes depending on the zone ?
bedhed3000
makenoise wrote:

You could release this as a Oneohtrix Point Never track and no one would know the difference. That is a complement FYI Rockin' Banana!
makenoise
Mimeophon has begun shipping to dealers!

Here's a little announcement video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hIa9_lsoB/
ggillon
Quick question; when the manual states "Color Coded Modeless Algorithm: morph between Karplus, Flange, Chorus, Echo, Looping and everything in between", is this in reference to the "Zone" control and associated colors?

Also I know what else I'll miss from the Echophon that probably can't fit in the Mimeophon due to space: the input attenuators, especially for the audio in
sendepause
makenoise wrote:

help
Now i want one.....
makenoise
Full demonstration/description of all the stereo functions of the Mimeophon here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6YS73o3YjA
Pighood
I have zero willpower fap fap fap... love
trickness
Got mine yesterday from Control, I think it's Erbe's best MN module, really musical and intuitive. Sounds superb
exper
Just played with mine for a little while. Pretty creative unit. Pretty fun exploring the glitchy effects it can do, FM-ing the rate, etc.

A few things I wish for right from the start:

1) A way to clear the buffer. With those insanely long delay times, I found it sometimes annoying that it kept going for 40 secs. This of course can be cool for certain applications, but you should also be able to clear that and start fresh if you don't want to have random stuff pop up later on. This is something that I often appreciate on the Rainmaker, as delay and resonator sounds can happen well after the source material stops.

2) Instead of skew's current behavior, I kind of wish the two channels could be set independently, without affecting the rate of the other channel.

3) I would have liked a little more range to the HP side of the Color knob.

4) It would be cool to have the ability to set the Flip and Hold to be momentary gate inputs instead of the current toggle behavior.

Also, is there supposed to be an LED under the window on the full CCW position of Color?
Kingnimrod
exper wrote:
Just played with mine for a little while. Pretty creative unit. Pretty fun exploring the glitchy effects it can do, FM-ing the rate, etc.

A few things I wish for right from the start:

1) A way to clear the buffer. With those insanely long delay times, I found it sometimes annoying that it kept going for 40 secs. This of course can be cool for certain applications, but you should also be able to clear that and start fresh if you don't want to have random stuff pop up later on. This is something that I often appreciate on the Rainmaker, as delay and resonator sounds can happen well after the source material stops.

Also, is there supposed to be an LED under the window on the full CCW position of Color?

Agree. There needs to be a way to quickly clear the buffer.

As for the Color Knob LEDs, I’m guessing they got rid of that feature after they had the panels made. The manual shows it lit up green, but it doesn’t light up at all. Is it supposed to?
Muse FTW
Really digging this module. Sounds absolutely massive and the ZONE and HALO controls are particularly fun to mess with.
Hezza11
Yep its great fun to use, can range from lush to weird glitch when modulated.

As others have said a way to clear the buffer when things get a little too wild or you want to start over would be really handy though.
Rost + Licht
Do I understand correctly that the Mimeophon has no Send/Return option?
Im on the fence between the 4ms DLD and Mimeophon. I can imagine that the Mimeophon can get a tad crazier on those short chorusy delays, but the 4ms DLD seems to shine at longer Basic Channelesque Dub delays, where the Signal degrates in a nice way over time, ever changing. Also the said self-feed option may make the module a bit more open to integrate in a more cross-talking patch, than 'just' standing by its own.

Anyone here who could test both and give some insight on the Dub qualities?

help
Pighood
Hezza11 wrote:

As others have said a way to clear the buffer when things get a little too wild or you want to start over would be really handy though.

I'm guessing a simple power cycle would do the trick.
exper
Pighood wrote:
Hezza11 wrote:

Ha, I'm sure it would, but that's not ideal for the rest of your system as far as keeping your patch going...

(Maybe modules should start including individual on/off switches. hihi)
Rost + Licht
exper wrote:
Pighood wrote:
Hezza11 wrote:

Ha, I'm sure it would, but that's not ideal for the rest of your system as far as keeping your patch going...

(Maybe modules should start including individual on/off switches. hihi)

This. Always makes me a little anxious knowing Modules like the Morphagene go ham for like 5 hours straight. Could be an already used Knob that you can click-lock counter clockwise to put that module to sleep.
starthief
I can definitely see a market for a small module with a power switch on it, that interrupts the power to other modules (or perhaps an entire busboard if you want to roll that way). Some things want to be rebooted more than others, and people using portable battery-powered setups might want to conserve.
Funky40
"Buffer Erase" has been a popular early request on the DLD and was added soon after release
AND: has been an important improvement !

I just hope MakeNoise will add a buffer erase also !!
(button combo press ! please: NOT too long of a press ! ) ( something like 250-500ms ? )

starthief wrote:
I can definitely see a market for a small module with a power switch on it, .....

now that you´re saying it: +1 !!
Dragonaut
makenoise wrote:

Best demo video I've ever seen hands down. A damn fine composition.
cackland
I’m sure MN will add this request in an update.
palemanuk
I got my mimeophon today - had a weird power issue it seems. Im using a tip top audio Station 252HP case and the mimeophon flashes skew, hold, and flip and the zone window lights purple then it goes off.

It works with a tip top audio happy ending though?! I've removed all other modules from the case and tested the mimeophon alone in the case and the same issue occurs... wondered if anyone else had power issues?
mariusu
No, everything works fine for me. I was not going to ask whether you plugged the cable the right way, but then I thought I don't have any other clues. grin
Pighood
Mine arrives tomorrow fap fap fap...
Funky40
Mimeophone Demos from CNTRL Mod:

cackland
Thanks for sharing these.
Funky40
you reall thought you want to thanks ?

these are not De-mos, these are De-mons

lol
cackland
That doesn't make sense, but a thanks was given due to the fact that I may not of come across these otherwise.
Funky40
cackland wrote:
That doesn't make sense, but a thanks was given due to the fact that I may not of come across these otherwise.

the last part was a joke wink
I usually don´t stumble over such demos either wink
and was quite surprised
Pighood
DAMN that’s a looooooooooong delay eek!
hadj
palemanuk wrote:
I got my mimeophon today - had a weird power issue it seems. Im using a tip top audio Station 252HP case and the mimeophon flashes skew, hold, and flip and the zone window lights purple then it goes off.

It works with a tip top audio happy ending though?! I've removed all other modules from the case and tested the mimeophon alone in the case and the same issue occurs... wondered if anyone else had power issues? very frustrating

I had the same issue with my Station 252 case too. But my lights didn't flash, the skew, hold, and flip lights just stayed on and the Zone window lights Purple and stays on too. I have it now housed in my 4MS Pod and it works fine... So strange. I'll email their customer support folks now.
ggillon
Just received mine smile

But really, Makenoise, why would you send me silver screws with a black module :(
Southfork
exper wrote:

Yeah whats with that, like the thought about it then changed the PCB design at the last minute but didn't update the panel hmmm.....
makenoise
There was never an LED for color. Have a look at the earlier prototypes displayed at Superbooth 2019. There was no last minute PCB design, just a small error in the manual design. We have corrected the manual error.

Thanx,

T

Southfork wrote:
exper wrote:

Yeah whats with that, like the thought about it then changed the PCB design at the last minute but didn't update the panel hmmm.....
makenoise
We have purchased a Tip Top Zues power supply so as to attempt to re-create the behavior. We will investigate and try to figure out a fix once it arrives.

We test modules on a massive array of power configurations and conditions, but at this point it is very hard to have every possible power configuration and condition represented.

T

hadj wrote:
palemanuk wrote:

It works with a tip top audio happy ending though?! I've removed all other modules from the case and tested the mimeophon alone in the case and the same issue occurs... wondered if anyone else had power issues? very frustrating

I had the same issue with my Station 252 case too. But my lights didn't flash, the skew, hold, and flip lights just stayed on and the Zone window lights Purple and stays on too. I have it now housed in my 4MS Pod and it works fine... So strange. I'll email their customer support folks now.
Pighood
Hey Tony some here have posted concerns about clearing the buffer.

Is there a way to do this with the existing controls rather than via a firmware update?
dekatronowls
This is the same issue i am having. Seems like it doesnt complete the boot cycle and hangs on the lavender color w/ all three buttons lit. Same with every zeus studio bus board i tried, but the module works fine w/ Pittsburgh Structure power supplies. I emailed Make Noise earlier this week and they are looking into it. Just commenting to say youre not alone, and i'm sure they will figure it out.

hadj wrote:
palemanuk wrote:

makenoise
You clear the buffer the same way you do it with a more traditional delay module - turn repeats to zero, silence the input, and wait.

The length you have to wait for "all clear" will be equal to the longest possible Rate for the largest Zone you're going to use.

If you're using Zone 7 this could take awhile (~41 seconds), which is probably why people have been asking for a dedicated "buffer clear" operation. It is something that could potentially be added in a future firmware update, but we cannot make any promises right now.

Hope you are loving the Mimeophon anyway!!

- Walker

Pighood wrote:

Is there a way to do this with the existing controls rather than via a firmware update?
makenoise
Double post.

T

Pighood wrote:

Funky40
makenoise wrote:
............, and wait*.

please udate !

*we´ve donne that with the DLD. Its not good enough !
But Dan was good enough ro understand .....and to update wink
Hope you feel the same need, ...even if its just about to follow the users wishes wink

its 4 month until its 2020, people are now in a hurry lol
how long are you *today* ready to wait until a page was loading when surfing the web ?
and how long were you a few years back ?
see the picture ?

don´t you see the difference of how such wait, even if its just a small one, "kills" .....ahh wait: "changes" the flow ?
nectarios
Make Haste
palemanuk
makenoise wrote:
We have purchased a Tip Top Zues power supply so as to attempt to re-create the behavior. We will investigate and try to figure out a fix once it arrives.

We test modules on a massive array of power configurations and conditions, but at this point it is very hard to have every possible power configuration and condition represented.

T

hadj wrote:
palemanuk wrote:

I'm using it now with a uzues and it works perfectly so it's no problem!

I'd just like to add that the module is FANTASTIC and a beautiful inspiring machine that I have been endlessly recommending to all my friends and colleagues, i'm a huge fan and collector of make noise instruments!

The tip top 252 is a pretty old case these days and seems to fire up in a weird way compared to most other cases it seems, and I can imagine it's not easy with the plethora of options available to cater to every single power supply out there. Thanks for the work Make Noise! Didn't want to sound too ungrateful in my post mentioning the zues board problem I had, just wondered if anyone else had stumbled upon it as I was wondering if my particular case was causing problems!

Time to explore more delays w00t
fjoesz
mine just came in! what a magical thing

dpo final out>E440>mimeophon

with some modulation hihi

http://electromagnet.nl/1osc1filter1delay.mp3
StateAzure
Love Mimeophon. Never expected it to make for such a wonderful looper on top of everything else. Having so much fun with it.

ggillon
First track with the Mime. Nothing too crazy with it, I'm just discovering the potential and it's huge.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/signal[/s]
NoLegs
A little different.

Vocal samples through the Morphagene into the Mimeophone.

batch
Got mine earlier this week. Absolutely loving it. It’s an ambient dream. Anyone who has been waiting for the clouds replacement should really consider this. Of course mimeophone with clouds is amazeballs.
Palme
Like some in earlier in the thread I have the same problem where the zone window goes purple and then the module turns off when I power of the case, it doesn’t happen every time though, if I restart the case a few times, eventually it will power up correctly.
I use an Arturia rackbrute 6U in the EU, ungrounded power supply.

Note: when it powers up, holy moly a fantastic module smile
cackland
batch wrote:
Got mine earlier this week. Absolutely loving it. It’s an ambient dream. Anyone who has been waiting for the clouds replacement should really consider this. Of course mimeophone with clouds is amazeballs.

Nice call.
jasev
Palme wrote:
Like some in earlier in the thread I have the same problem where the zone window goes purple and then the module turns off when I power of the case, it doesn’t happen every time though, if I restart the case a few times, eventually it will power up correctly.
I use an Arturia rackbrute 6U in the EU, ungrounded power supply.

Note: when it powers up, holy moly a fantastic module smile

Must say mines fine in the rackbrute 6u
macs4music
I’m in love with this thing already. It’s very intuitive to use and you can get incredible sounds with just a bit of work. Morphagene works so well with it.
sencha
hadj wrote:
palemanuk wrote:

Same problem here with a Doepfer case + power supply. The three push buttons lights stays on, the Mimeophon is freezed and I can also hear a very smooth high pitched noise. I have to turn it off and on and only then it works. I also have a Make Noise 7U cv bus case, no issues of this kind for the moment but this is very strange though... confused
Pighood
Using mine in a Doepfer P9 case... no problem
sencha
Mine is the mini case Doepfer A-100MC BK. I use it sometimes as an "effect pedal" for my synths, sometimes with Clouds, sometimes with Erbe-Verb and now with Mimeophon but this module doesn't work very well with this case as I explained you just above.

Apparently there is a problem with this module if other people have the same problem with power supplies from different manufacturers seriously, i just don't get it
batch
Mine is in Intellijel 7U. No issues, powers up perfectly each time.
bemushroomed
I have a few A-100LCB.. does it work with it?

Only problem i've had with that case is Futureretro Transient module where the module just seems to break after a while.. i had one, it stopped working, got a new, stopped working (took perhaps 8-10 power cycles before they would not turn on any longer).
Pighood
Hay Zeus this thing is powerful. A chap can get lost in the labyrinth. Since it's mounted near the Clouds, the horror is exponentialized.
Krater
Have mine in a Doepfer lc6, PSU 2, no problems.
zanscath
Is it just me or does the Mimeophon have a relatively high noise floor?
ggillon
Not in my experience, no.
Patate le mage
A little experiment :
Marbles is the master for plaits into mimeophon.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/patate-le-mage/la-mer-des-mamelles[/s]
StateAzure
zanscath wrote:

Seems pretty quiet to me. Colour set too high maybe? or are you feeding it too low a signal? This might cause it, especially if you're having to boost it up after.
autopoiesis
Halo seems to do a really nice diffusion that pushes the sound into reverb territory. who has both a Mimeophon and an Erbe Verb and can speak to their similarities at different parametric extremes with Halo cranked up?

I don't need to be reminded that this is not a modeless reverb algorithm, but Tom instills his sonic taste signatures into all these modules and this is clearly designed to be an effect that goes into the territories between delay, reverb, and granular synthesis
Hovercraft
autopoiesis wrote:
Halo seems to do a really nice diffusion that pushes the sound into reverb territory. who has both a Mimeophon and an Erbe Verb and can speak to their similarities at different parametric extremes with Halo cranked up?

I don't need to be reminded that this is not a modeless reverb algorithm, but Tom instills his sonic taste signatures into all these modules and this is clearly designed to be an effect that goes into the territories between delay, reverb, and granular synthesis

Haven't done any extensive testing, but Mimeophon sits between Morphagene and Erbe Verb in my case. So far, Halo has a different character than Erbe at any setting I've tried. I think it's a different algorithm.
ggillon
autopoiesis wrote:

Halo does sound a bit like a reverb but it is more the repeats being smeared and sustained rather than a straight reverb.

Exactly like the Dimension parameter of the Polymoon

Mimeophon and Erbe verb are pretty different beasts IMO
zanscath
StateAzure wrote:
zanscath wrote:

Seems pretty quiet to me. Colour set too high maybe? or are you feeding it too low a signal? This might cause it, especially if you're having to boost it up after.

Probably has something to do with using it in the aux return channel of Rosie, maybe boosted it too much.
makenoise
Here's a quick look at how to set the input level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBngOYMchq8

If your input signal is particularly low- or high-amplitude, you may want to adjust the input gain of the Mimeophon. You may attenuate or amplify, or neither (the default is Unity gain, which works with most modular level signals).

To set the input gain level, set MIX to fully Dry (counterclockwise), and monitor your input signal. Hold down the FLIP and HOLD buttons to cycle through four options for input gain level. The currently selected option will be displayed via the color of the ZONE Window as follows:

BLUE -3dB
GREEN 0dB/Unity
ORANGE +3dB
RED +6dB

Monitor the input signal while selecting input gain level to hear the effect of the selected level. Release both buttons to select and exit.

Note: Boosting input gain may result in input clipping on typical modular level signals. In most cases we recommend keeping this setting at Unity unless a boost or cut is necessary.
ggillon
This module is very inspiring !

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/ballade[/s]
Funky40
anybody into Graphics ?

i just thought it would be cool to have a PDF with some graphics to act as overlays for 2hp and 4hp blind panels.
edit: forget it, i´ll remember the knob angles wink

Big Fun so far to patch the Mimeophone ! Big Thanks to the Team !
hlprmnky
My goodness
I patched up just a really simple sequence -> DPO -> Optomix -> QPAS -> Mimeophon and added modulation to lots of places that can be modulated
That was yesterday
I keep coming back to it, turning the monitors on, thinking "okay, it's time to tear this patch down and really start practicing with this new thing, learn what it does" and whatever it's doing already just pulls me in for another 20 minutes of adjusting parameters, listening, exploring
Every so often I turn the mix back to dry because I've forgotten what I'm even feeding this creature
Send help! And by "help" I mean a comfy chair, maybe a cot, someone to bring down meals from the kitchen
My goodness
Zifor
Got this module this week. But i need to wait for a new skiff to put it in! :c I am going to get an xpan with it and do some serious wiggling! cry SlayerBadger!
Illwiggle
Just ordered one of these myself... thinkin this’ll pair up nice with the RXMX among other things..
jayrope
Got mine today.
For one: What a great space machine with a minimal form factor!

Drawbacks i encounter:
• Signal in buffer doesn't pitch when on hold. What a pity (just for that feature I was looking again for a replacement of an early 90s digital delay which is a permanent companion to my live sets)!
• Complete 42 seconds buffer can only be erased by switching unit off. Very unideal. There should be something simple instead, like pressing flip, hold and skew all at once to erase the buffer whenever needed. Can't find a USB port or similar for a firmware update and now wonder, if Make Noise build firmware updates into this at all.

In any case: Totally worth it!
autopoiesis
yep quick buffer erase would seem helpful
Krater
jayrope wrote:
Can't find a USB port or similar for a firmware update and now wonder, if Make Noise build firmware updates into this at all.

It seems to be updatable by a firmware audio file.

makenoise wrote:

ggillon
jayrope wrote:
Got mine today.
• Signal in buffer doesn't pitch when on hold. What a pity (just for that feature I was looking again for a replacement of an early 90s digital delay which is a permanent companion to my live sets)!

Get an Echophon next to your mime wink The echophon does it
hkyler01
Anyone experiencing noise like this from their unit? I get a good bit of noise when I move the Mix knob CW from dry. It sounds like the output is distorting all the time?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MmX-RZKaDNSHXVYCI2Hfoetui4eieD1t/view  ?usp=sharing
jonpines
ggillon wrote:
This module is very inspiring !

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/ballade

Lovely, thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to trying mine out when I get done with the installation I'm on.

Edit: can't figure out how to show your Soundcloud link...
Funky40
where is the noise, which seconds ?
i hear nothing special ( not listened "each" second though )
hkyler01
Funky40 wrote:
where is the noise, which seconds ?
i hear nothing special ( not listened "each" second though )

Its throughout the majority of the clip. Almost like listening to a record. Pretty obvious towards the end.
Funky40
hkyler01 wrote:

Its throughout the majority of the clip.

ahhh, now i can hear it.
becomes stronger at sec :18 to :21. its a very underlying slightly crackling noise.

well, ok: i´m totally *NOT* sesibilisized to such noises meh
might have reasons lol

Thanks ! i just learnt something.
....need to check in my modular when my patch is free.
right now its 4 delays/granular units patched in series. *this* IS creating noise wink
hkyler01
zanscath wrote:

Seems like it on my end, but most are speaking to its great audio quality. I dont the consider the noise Im experiencing to be characteristic of a high quality delay module. I think mine is defective.
tommygee
No noise here.
Hovercraft
hkyler01 wrote:
Anyone experiencing noise like this from their unit? I get a good bit of noise when I move the Mix knob CW from dry. It sounds like the output is distorting all the time?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MmX-RZKaDNSHXVYCI2Hfoetui4eieD1t/view  ?usp=sharing

When I have similar issues, 90% of the time it's due to gain staging problems. Have you tried attenuating the input, or using the built-in attenuation on the Mimeophon?
hkyler01
Hovercraft wrote:
hkyler01 wrote:

When I have similar issues, 90% of the time it's due to gain staging problems. Have you tried attenuating the input, or using the built-in attenuation on the Mimeophon?

Yes I did attenuate to -3db but if you hear the original signal it’s clear. The output sounds distorted no matter how wet or when there is no signal and just self oscillating.
mantid
hkyler01 wrote:

I just came here to ask about this!

It is not 100% repeatable. I thought it was my cables, I thought it was the jacks, but it is neither. It sounds like a pot needs contact cleaner (that same crackle). Levels are not overly hot. I will try to get it very reproducible and then make a video, in the meantime, I am wondering if this is supposed to be acceptable or worth sending in for service.
hkyler01
mantid wrote:
hkyler01 wrote:

I just came here to ask about this!

It is not 100% repeatable. I thought it was my cables, I thought it was the jacks, but it is neither. It sounds like a pot needs contact cleaner (that same crackle). Levels are not overly hot. I will try to get it very reproducible and then make a video, in the meantime, I am wondering if this is supposed to be acceptable or worth sending in for service.

Yes! Exactly on the scratchy pot! Well I asked two people to replicate my test and they both did not have the same noise/distorted output. Thus, I deemed it defective but Make Noise says it’s normal and part of its character. They must be referring to something else.

Additionally, the unit will not boot in my case that uses the Tip-top Studio powered bus boards. Not sure what’s going on there...
Besfar
Is the consensus that this thing does not power on a tiptop 252 case?
makenoise
We acquired a Tip Top Studio Bus power supply and we have been able to re-create the power up problem. The issue stems from the extremely long rise time of the +12VDC rail on this power supply. The Mimeophon needs to be held in reset longer in order to allow for power to reach correct voltage.

We are developing new firmware to address the issue.

Re: QPAS problems on Tip Top supply, we have not had any reports. The QPAS tested good on the uZues, I will test it on our Studio Bus on Monday morning, but I have not gotten any power supply problems reported for that module. It is likely you are just over drawing your supply. The QPAS is quite power hungry. If you need more help, just email us at technical@makenoisemusic.com

THanx,

T

Besfar wrote:
Is the consensus that this thing does not power on a tiptop 252 case?

I have a mphon on order, but i had power problems with the qpas and if this is the same thing the hm.
sturtlovinggood
Such an amazing module. Haven’t had a bad patch with it yet.

Thought I had read the manual thoroughly and was having the hardest time getting skew to turn on and off like I thought it should when I read this:

Quote:
Press the SKEW Button again to toggle it OFF. The Button is no longer lit, and the Rate parameter controls both channels in tandem
while maintaining the SKEW as it was at the moment when SKEW was turned OFF. Turn SKEW ON and OFF once while Rate is not
being modulated to clear the SKEW and synchronize the channels.

Which means skew is even cooler than I thought it was.
Mend
Quite sure Aphex used the Mimeophon quite extensively in his liveset just yet.
Granny
Mend wrote:
Quite sure Aphex used the Mimeophon quite extensively in his liveset just yet.

i thought that, too
poolbath1
Adding a +1 that I have also experienced this intermittent power issue. I have an older Enclave case that I installed Mimeophon into, and it wouldn't boot reliably until I removed enough modules to get to ~1150ma on the +12V rail. I've been actively working with the tech crew at Make Noise to get to the bottom of this. I'm happy to hear there is new firmware being developed.

makenoise wrote:
We acquired a Tip Top Studio Bus power supply and we have been able to re-create the power up problem. The issue stems from the extremely long rise time of the +12VDC rail on this power supply. The Mimeophon needs to be held in reset longer in order to allow for power to reach correct voltage.

THanx,

T

Besfar wrote:
Is the consensus that this thing does not power on a tiptop 252 case?]
Alliex
makenoise wrote:

Awesome, I'm happy to see these updates while I put aside a bit of $ at a time for a new module grin
cackland
Just got mine... She has an attitude hmmm.....
Gyroscope
cackland wrote:

Disappointed?
starthief
I've found it leads me more toward sort of lo-fi, saturated, hauntology stuff... not that it really takes a lot to get me going that way.
SnipeCatcher
Received my Mimeophon from Perfect Circuit yesterday. Works really well for my purposes. Tried using it as a ‘synth’ ala the Loopop video and it more or less works and sounds really cool. Still in the honeymoon phase, but so far so good!
jschussler
Mine arrived last week. Could the panel graphics be any more cryptic? MakeNoise is elevating "form over function" to a high art. And not in a good way.
starthief
jschussler wrote:
Could the panel graphics be any more cryptic?

Yes, they could be much more cryptic.

The only confusion I've had with it is which is the tempo input and which is the output, but then I noticed there's a little outward-facing arrow on the output and I won't forget again.

Everything else is totally clear IF you have watched the intro video or read the manual, which is important to understand what distinguishes Mimeophon from a basic typical delay.
tapauly
jschussler wrote:
Mine arrived last week. Could the panel graphics be any more cryptic? MakeNoise is elevating "form over function" to a high art. And not in a good way.

It doesn't take buying one to notice that - one reason I've not purchased one! I also tend to avoid all-in-one, black-box, musical instrument-like modules. Just my personal preference though!
Nutritional Zero
jschussler wrote:

What do you find cryptic, if you don’t me asking?

The only things Make Noise have done that I found cryptic are the “Ego/Id” function of the Wogglebug and the ¡¡!! inputs on QPAS, which they d e l i b e r a t e l y did not elaborate on to encourage experimentation. (I’m fine with that, similarly I prefer “hard” video games to “easy” ones because I feel like I’m getting more value for my dollar.)

These are some of the best-laid out panels on the market in terms of usability. You might not like the graphical style, but I think that’s a separate issue.
SnipeCatcher
jschussler wrote:

Funny, when I got into eurorack I was determined to not get anything by MN, Whimsical Raps and a few others with their busy, distracting graphics and ‘clever’ renaming of basic functions. Now I have a Morphagene, Mimeophon, Rosie, STO and Just Friends smile I will say in the future I will go out of my way to not buy anything from WR/Mannequins not only because of the dopey renaming of functions, but the manuals are ridiculous. If I want to read ‘poetry’ I’ll read poetry.

The thing about MN though is they are super helpful, provide lots of tutorials, updates and advice. And they make some seriously great stuff.
So at this point, I’m trying to be cool with MN and Instruo because despite the busy graphics and pointless terminology, they make really interesting and musical modules.
For graphics, I’ll take Doepfer, Cwejman, Intellijel and others like them for their simple, straightforward designs any day. I make pretty ‘weird’ music, but don’t favor weird looking modules that are tougher to navigate in dark rooms. Mimeophon sure is rad though!
jonpines
I miss the lightning bolts terribly...
Pighood
No room on the Mim for no lightning bolts
jschussler
Nutritional Zero wrote:
jschussler wrote:

What do you find cryptic, if you don’t me asking?

The only things Make Noise have done that I found cryptic are the “Ego/Id” function of the Wogglebug and the ¡¡!! inputs on QPAS, which they d e l i b e r a t e l y did not elaborate on to encourage experimentation. (I’m fine with that, similarly I prefer “hard” video games to “easy” ones because I feel like I’m getting more value for my dollar.)

These are some of the best-laid out panels on the market in terms of usability. You might not like the graphical style, but I think that’s a separate issue.

The graphical style directly impacts my ability to grok the UI quickly. When composing I'm really annoyed if I have to look at a module and think "now what does that little collection of bubbles mean? Was that more or less of...wait, but there's also the squiggle over here pointing at the bubbles, which are just above the unlabeled glowing box."

I'm fine with "this is a sophisticated instrument so you have to RTFM before using it" up to a point. But I've watched the demos of Mimeophon and still end up forgetting what this or that random icon means by the time I get to it in a patch. And the graphics are both small and dense, so unless it's well lit and I have my reading glasses on it's not even easy to "read" regardless of whether you understand the iconography.

I guess I'm not just seeing where their obsession with being funky is improving my ability to make music. Seems self-indulgent to me.

That said, of course, I have lots of their modules, and once I get Grayscale panels put on them so they're usable they make great noises. Can't wait to get the Grayscale panel for this one so I can get going with it....
medium Rob
The Mimeophone has to be the least cryptic (appearance-wise) of Make Noise modules. Everything is *clearly* (and plainly?) labeled, except for the clock in/outputs and the micro-rate/v/oct. input.. which aren't difficult to remember. It's a handsome module, imo
jschussler
medium Rob wrote:
The Mimeophone has to be the least cryptic (appearance-wise) of Make Noise modules. Everything is *clearly* (and plainly?) labeled, except for the clock in/outputs and the micro-rate/v/oct. input.. which aren't difficult to remember. It's a handsome module, imo

And yet here we are having this conversation, and Grayscale’s making a clean version of the panel. Maybe clear for you isn’t clear for everyone else?
Nutritional Zero
The reason why things like “Halo” and “Color” are labeled as such is not to obfuscate or delude people, it’s to clarify that these aren’t simply traditional lowpass/highpass, dry/wet, etc. controls. These are part of modeless algorithms in which each control setting may impart multiple things at one time: damping, feedback, smearing, etc.

I’d rather move forwards than backwards. If it means dealing with unfamiliar panel controls, well, I’m more of an astronaut than a farmer. If you get me.
jschussler
I don’t have a problem with the terminology, I’m pointing out the issues with iconography, text handling, and general graphic treatment.
Nutritional Zero
Quote:
I guess I'm not just seeing where their obsession with being funky is improving my ability to make music. Seems selfThat said, of course, I have lots of their modules, and once I get Grayscale panels put on them so they're usable they make great noises. Can't wait to get the Grayscale panel for this one so I can get going with it....

You must have very poor spatial reasoning skills if an alternate faceplate improves your music-making ability on a device that will ultimately have the same control surface when repanelled. Most of us just do it for aesthetics or laughs.

I’d say that “obsession with being funky” is the perfect antidote to whatever inward-facing problem you have.

Every community is self-selecting, feel free to opt out.
cackland
Gyroscope wrote:
cackland wrote:

Disappointed?

A bit of attitude is never a bad thing wink
synonymist
SnipeCatcher wrote:
I will say in the future I will go out of my way to not buy anything from WR/Mannequins not only because of the dopey renaming of functions, but the manuals are ridiculous. If I want to read ‘poetry’ I’ll read poetry.

Guess you didn't hear the news. I have a professional interest in technical documentation, and this is as good as any I ever saw:

Mannequins Technical Maps (new official documentation!)
jschussler
Nutritional Zero wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm not just seeing where their obsession with being funky is improving my ability to make music. Seems selfThat said, of course, I have lots of their modules, and once I get Grayscale panels put on them so they're usable they make great noises. Can't wait to get the Grayscale panel for this one so I can get going with it....

You must have very poor spatial reasoning skills if an alternate faceplate improves your music-making ability on a device that will ultimately have the same control surface when repanelled. Most of us just do it for aesthetics or laughs.

I’d say that “obsession with being funky” is the perfect antidote to whatever inward-facing problem you have.

Every community is self-selecting, feel free to opt out.

My spatial reasoning skills are fine, thanks.

Feel free to bite me.
rew_
jschussler wrote:
Grayscale’s making a clean version of the panel

business continues normal business operations
ggillon
Nutritional Zero wrote:

Exactly this.

I have a shared system and an 0-coast and their iconography is consistent and helping a lot to understand the modules.

Clock inputs are immediately identified with the specific icon. CV inputs are all colored squares, and they are connected to their parameters with a line so you immediately know what inputs controls what. What is extremely clever on the 0-coast too is the representation of the normaled signals.

I get that some people don't like the graphical style, but it's extremely readable. Make noise modules are complex beasts, that is true. It's part of their appeal. A good panel will never replace a manual when it comes to understanding the module design and functions.

But as far as panel readability goes, they are very well done. For what it's worth I actually find some greyscale panels LESS readable than the original ones, regardless of graphical preferences.

Take the DPO for example:

It's missing the line between EXP cv and knob for no real reason. Instead it adds a line between EXP knob and frequency, which is more confusing than anything. The X-lock label is weirdly placed. The two bus (FM and MOD) are not clearly separated from other controls, nor are the wave shaping functions. The visual indicator for the buses are connected to the attenuverters, and not the control. All changes that make no real sense and are only adding to confusion

Another clear example is the Wogglebug. Yes the wogglebug is a very complex/hermetic module. So why in the hell removing the indication of which section is audio/CV/clock helps in any way? If you are honest and compare both, the grayscale REMOVES all the most important iconography. You are just left with the names of the controls and that's it. No way at all to determine what does what. At least the MN panel gives you plenty of good visual clues.

I don't see how the Greyscale panels are an improvement in terms of helping understand the module in any way. Quite the opposite actually. Frankly when I see the DPO grayscale panel it looks like they never actually used the module. That wouldn't surprise me at all. Many design choices defy logic

It's just a matter of aesthetic preference that makes people choose them.
cackland
My two cents... I think Mim is a very well laid out module
Pighood
Would I be correct in saying that skew can’t be heard/discerned unless there’s both left and right channels implemented?
ggillon
Pighood wrote:
Would I be correct in saying that skew can’t be heard/discerned unless there’s both left and right channels implemented?

No it should be audible as left input is normaled to the right one.

It's subtle though, it might help to test with a short sound, with a delay time that is reasonable to be discerned, and a large number of repeats. Pressing skew and Turning the rate knob should make the repeats de-sync between left and right.

If you press skew twice (on and off), it clears the current skewed rates.

If you don't use the stereo outputs, all you will hear is a change of global repeat rate since there's only one channel that is heard
Pighood
thumbs up
jschussler
[quote="ggillon"]
Nutritional Zero wrote:

I agree about the physical layout of the controls, they're good. I'm only picking on the graphic treatment.

And it's funny that you pick out the DPO: That and the Mysteron are two where I went to the Grayscale panel then went back, finding the original MN version worked better for me.

Morphagene, however, is much better as a Grayscale panel for me. And Rene, don't get me started on Rene.

So it's not a religious thing. Just sayin'.
ggillon
[quote="jschussler"]
ggillon wrote:
Nutritional Zero wrote:

I agree about the physical layout of the controls, they're good. I'm only picking on the graphic treatment.

And it's funny that you pick out the DPO: That and the Mysteron are two where I went to the Grayscale panel then went back, finding the original MN version worked better for me.

Morphagene, however, is much better as a Grayscale panel for me. And Rene, don't get me started on Rene.

So it's not a religious thing. Just sayin'.

I agree it's a matter of personal preference.

I chose DPO and wogglebug as examples because both have grayscale panels that are more obscure or even plain incorrect (see my detailed explanation on why some lines connect inputs/controls/lights incorrectly)

So the often raised arguments that these panels help read the module is not even correct here.

But yes if you prefer another font and no graphic then they will work for you.

For me the graphics are actually helping tremendously as I have a visual memory and the icons used are evocative for me thumbs up

That's why I say it's more esthetics rather than explaining the module better, because it's failing at it. They feel less polished to me with these errors and lack of consistency. It might be nitpicking but the labels between Exp CV and knob don't even match. CV is labeled EXP and knob EXPO. Even worse, the EXP knob doesn't control the frequency, it's an attenuator for the EXP CV, so the connection they made is incorrect and misleading.

To me those are huge mistakes for panels supposedly making the module more clear.
Nutritional Zero
I’m just going to interject again to say this is a healthy and normal discourse in a user community. I’ve challenged a couple of people here and they’ve challenged me back. This is good!

If we can’t criticize anything we’re fucked, but for me it happens that I’ve really come to appreciate the usability of these panels, and the Mimeophon in particular is a superb user interface.

Again I refer to the video game metaphor where, in the 1980s, video games were deliberately difficult because players had minimal disposable income and so each purchase had to provide n hours of entertainment. In 2019, “mastering” a module means I spend more time with it. I get more for my money. I don’t care about panels or whatever, I want value.
Alliex
I'm a silly nerd and a big fan of their panel designs, despite occasionally scratching my head about some of the design w.r.t. function. I like their overall aesthetic so much that the only 'blank' panel I've bought is the MN lightning bolts panel. Coincidentally, since it's mostly black I took a picture of it to use as my phone's wallpaper >_>
StrangeAttraction
I find that with the module design, layout, lettering, graphics - everyone has a very individual and personal response to it.
I was too baffled by MN design when I first saw them. Take Maths, you look at it without knowing anything about the module and it looks so bizarre. Where do you start patching it? Then you learn the functions and how they work and it becomes second nature.
Now, I really dig MN designs. They work in your brain on a sort a pictorial rather than "word" level, if that makes sense. Your brain gets quickly used to what the different pictorial elements mean, and using their modules ends up feeling much more natural (at least to me), than using a clean design with clean lettering, such as Qu-bit stuff, which I just don't gell with as it's almost too clean, too "word-based".
So, to each their own. I personally think MN designs are brilliant and they deeply "etch" themselves in your brain.
hkyler01
hkyler01 wrote:
zanscath wrote:

Seems like it on my end, but most are speaking to its great audio quality. I dont the consider the noise Im experiencing to be characteristic of a high quality delay module. I think mine is defective.

So the first unit I received was definitely defective! Just received unit number two and Im having a totally different experience. Completely awesome! Really exceeding my expectations. There are worlds inside this thing! Wondering if I should buy another now...

However, I do feel Make Noise was quick to dismiss my problem. Especially when the audio sample I sent along with my original inquiry was definitely not normal sounding behavior having tested/played two units now.
Illwiggle
Hooked up my Mimeo last night....whoa the haloed overtones! This is a prime tone-sculpting tool, would be an incredible asset for a sound designer. Didnt look at the manual, but found my way around it pretty easily. I was concerned a bit about the panel graphics, but when I got up close n personal the layout made a lot more sense, is actually pretty cleverly done. Super glad I took the plunge on this one. Make Noise On Top!!
Funky40
Illwiggle wrote:
......., would be an incredible asset for a sound designer.

sounddesign is maybe the wrong term.
i think the Echophone is still more interesting on this.
But mimi delivers funny samples to be cut.
Funky40
EDIT:........i was wrong it seems ? hmmm..... or was i not ? no clue......

it says in the manual:
Quote:
Repeats CV Input: CV Input for Repeats. Range 0-5VDC

when i tested it was it NOT accepting -V.

i test now again and i can use a IJ triatt set to middle position, sending out -V/+V and control the "repeats" parameter on the "mimi",
incresaing AND decreasing the index.

hmmm..... confusion.

when i tested my morph patching was it NOT working
seriously, i just don't get it

can somebody chime in please ?
cackland
Funky40 wrote:
Illwiggle wrote:
......., would be an incredible asset for a sound designer.

sounddesign is maybe the wrong term.

Subjective
natureclubcassettes
has anyone recorded a mono patch being stereo-sized by Erbe Verb and then sent to Mimeo for further processing/layering? would love to hear.
Daisuk
I wrote this off listening to the rather uninformative Superbooth demos, but became aware of it again after I heard a demo of it last night, and goddamn. It does sound good. Anyone need a kidney? lol
autopoiesis
building off of funk's questions, which CV inputs do NOT accept negative voltages? I'm confused that Rate, Zone, and Color have attenuverters but their CV inputs are described as accepting 0-5VDC. and I would be surprised if any CV inputs clamped negative voltages on a new Make Noise design.
Funky40
Funky40 wrote:

my first patch will be a ping/trigger into the Haible frequenzy shifter then into the mimeophone w00t

donne that:

trigger into Freq shifter into mimeophone:.....with X-tra wiggling on the "mimi" for X-tra demo fun:
first 2-3 bars is the dry signal (mimi set to dry).
[s]https://soundcloud.com/punky-demos/96t-fs_jm7_0 [/s]

ONLY wiggling with the "mimi".....extra wiggling for X-tra demo Fun wink
NO additional Reverb. ALL reverb effects is the "mimi".
Has allways a zdsp at the end (reverb used as another resonator, NOT used as a verb)
.....some more modules were used to blow the naked trigger up to "a sound".
for example another FS in the feedback path of the first FS

(jpg is my balcony 3 years ago / i do NOT smoke !! )
Funky40
autopoiesis wrote:
building off of funk's questions, which CV inputs do NOT accept negative voltages? I'm confused that Rate, Zone, and Color have attenuverters but their CV inputs are described as accepting 0-5VDC. and I would be surprised if any CV inputs clamped negative voltages on a new Make Noise design.

seems i was wrong.......!
i edited my post.

looking today at this, it looked today all different then at my first testing out attempts..........no clue why.
Funky40
Funky40 wrote:

seems i was wrong.......!

huh, my confusion is now entirely complete.......
experiencing it again "somewhow" differently. But ok, i think i get it now wink

since i might have caused confusion would it be good if MN HQ would put some "very clear" explanations down.
(to me the manual is not clear enough on this, since my first impression was based on the manual, and even backed by the manual)
VortexRanger
autopoiesis wrote:

Those numbers represent the total range of the parameter. The CV input is added to the voltage set by the panel control. For example if panel control is set to 3V, you could use CV anywhere from -3V to +2V before clipping it.

Edit: this addition takes place after any input attenuation. So in the above example you could use a +-5V LFO, say, and attenuate it to the desired depth.
autopoiesis
got it, thanks!

my only reservation at this point, besides deprecation of silver panels by MN, is that you can't clear the buffer manually. I can see plenty of scenarios where I don't want "what I was doing in zone 1 one bar ago to show up in zone 3", as interesting as that may be when you want to intentionally work with the nested buffers.

hoping for a quick-clear button combo tbh
Funky40
VortexRanger wrote:
autopoiesis wrote:

Those numbers represent the total range of the parameter. The CV input is added to the voltage set by the panel control. For example if panel control is set to 3V, you could use CV anywhere from -3V to +2V before clipping it.

I say its more than just that. Its not consistent throughout......my last standing lol
You might want to consider to go over the manual in that regard and to make this all really clear. In your and our interests.

the module is quite deep, it was quite confusing and time consuming to go over all this CV input behaves.
(while the mimi was patched to make music)

and please add a button combo for buffer erase !
Hezza11
Got some 2hp Drums today and ran them through the mimeophon. Stayed in the first 2 zones while manually wiggling various knobs. Shitty phone audio and I was filming the dum modules not the mimeophon, but was loving the the comb/karplus/feedback effects.

Nutritional Zero
I'm happy to report that the Mimeophon plays nicely in series with other delays. I took Magneto out for my case for... about two weeks, but there's no way I can really live without either.

This is a single MI Stages in harmonic oscillator mode, into QPAS, into Magneto, then into Mimeophon.

ggillon
Mimeophon... dubwise we're not worthy

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/i-and-i[/s]
luketeaford
Very nice track, ggillon! thumbs up
ggillon
Thank you! Everything on this module sounds great. The feedback can generate really nice tones easily.
Bionecteur
ggillon wrote:

Hi GGillon,

is this only Mimeophon for the dubchords?

Best

Uwe
Nutritional Zero
ggillon
Bionecteur wrote:
ggillon wrote:

Hi GGillon,

is this only Mimeophon for the dubchords?

Best

Uwe

I wish but no. Mimeophon takes care of the bassline, with the modulated rate creating those nice evolving feedback loops. Dub chords are handled more traditionally by pedals: Meris Polymoon for delay and Mercury7 for reverb.
Mend
I know I'm late to the party but I can't find it in store anywhere in Europe. Does anyone know a store that still has any?
cackland
Mend wrote:
I know I'm late to the party but I can't find it in store anywhere in Europe. Does anyone know a store that still has any?

If you are desperate, foundsound.com.au has them (Australia though)
https://foundsound.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/12248
Mend
cackland wrote:
Mend wrote:

If you are desperate, foundsound.com.au has them (Australia though)
https://foundsound.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/12248
Thanks. But I'd rather order from a European dealer so I can deduct taxes smile
ggillon
You won't find it in stock in Europe but most shop will deliver it in a month or less wich is pretty normal for new Make Noise modules at launch
Orange
ggillon wrote:
You won't find it in stock in Europe but most shop will deliver it in a month or less wich is pretty normal for new Make Noise modules at launch

I hope so. hyper
Thomann.de mentions 7-8 weeks though. hmmm.....
ggillon
Try musicstore then. It's where I bought mine and it took around 3 weeks
bommelito
ggillon wrote:

estimated delivery from Musicstore is 11.11.2019. Looks like we Europeans have to wait until then cry
makenoise
Starting with firmware version MP70, the Mimeophon will let us instantly empty the sound out of all Zones by setting Mix and Repeats both fully counterclockwise.

Get it here:
http://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/mimeophon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1sD2JXcQzc
Trebbers
It's peanut butter jelly time!
ggillon
bommelito wrote:
ggillon wrote:

estimated delivery from Musicstore is 11.11.2019. Looks like we Europeans have to wait until then cry

sad banana
Pighood
Buffer clear firmware upgrade works flawlessly applause
909one
I'm diggin' my Mimeophone but the one thing that irritates me is I can't get it to lock a loop with the hold button engaged that stays in time when a clock is sent to it. Anyone else having any issues with this? I've tried for a bit to get this to work and no luck.
cackland
Thank you for the buffer clear update.

Am I the only one who thinks that clearing of the buffer could be better instantiated through a ‘press and hold’ of a single or multiple buttons? Feel that would be a better interface decision than having to turn two knobs CCW. Unless MN has other update plans for the use of button combos..
cackland
For those wondering also, Tom messaged me and mentioned the request to clear the buffer over cv (which I clearly missed). So it makes sense to utilize button combos for other user requests that make sense to the ui.
Funky40
cackland wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that clearing of the buffer could be better instantiated through a ‘press and hold’ of a single or multiple buttons?.

turning knobs to clear the buffer means one has to "de-adjust" an existing patch...........i find this unnecessary counter-functional.
I guess to "keep options open" was here the factor with the higher priority.
Much thanks for the update anyway !

on another note:
i have usually triggers going to the reverse* input. (* ahh wait, its a "flip" .....not a reverse.....)
(manually) pressing "freeze" *is affected* and in that sense disturbed by this flip trigger.
no proper manual jamming possible for me.
An update on this would be VERY welcome !....in case that this is doable ?
JakoGreyshire
If one didn't want to "de-adjust" an existing patch as FUNKY40 put it...

One way could be to use an inverted gate to the mix and repeats CV inputs. Then the knobs could stay where they are assuming that other CVs were not patched in those CV inputs....

If there were other CVs needed in those inputs as well as the occasional inverted gate for clearing, then I bet there would be a way to do that as well...Mixers come to mind... Logic modules?

I'm sure there are other ways, eh? What would you do?
jsp549
909one wrote:
I'm diggin' my Mimeophone but the one thing that irritates me is I can't get it to lock a loop with the hold button engaged that stays in time when a clock is sent to it. Anyone else having any issues with this? I've tried for a bit to get this to work and no luck.

Same thing or something similar happened to me while i was patching earlier. In Zone 3 or 4 I've noticed that the looping gets a bit sloppy. I also might have been in reverse mode too?

I also can't remember, but I think while Hold was engage the rate of the delay was also changing? Everytime the clock pulse hit the rate would instantly speed up, slow down, and then speed up again when another pulse hit.
909one
jsp549 wrote:
909one wrote:

Same thing or something similar happened to me while i was patching earlier. In Zone 3 or 4 I've noticed that the looping gets a bit sloppy. I also might have been in reverse mode too?

I also can't remember, but I think while Hold was engage the rate of the delay was also changing? Everytime the clock pulse hit the rate would instantly speed up, slow down, and then speed up again when another pulse hit.

Yeah there's something screwy with the Hold.
nuttymad
I’m getting a fair amount of noise when clocking mimeophon via the sync input. It gets really really noticeable while in zones 0-1 with rate knob clockwise. Its almost like it switches on and becomes present when I turn the zone knob CW to zone 0. You can also hear an audible click. I’ve tried different clocks at different speeds. I was hoping other users could chime in and tell me this is normal.
starthief
nuttymad wrote:
I’m getting a fair amount of noise when clocking mimeophon via the sync input. It gets really really noticeable while in zones 0-1 with rate knob clockwise. Its almost like it switches on and becomes present when I turn the zone knob CW to zone 0. You can also hear an audible click. I’ve tried different clocks at different speeds. I was hoping other users could chime in and tell me this is normal.

With Repeats turned up enough, noise does accumulate. With Repeats low I get no noise regardless of any other settings.

Clocking doesn't make any difference for me.
natureclubcassettes
are there certain clock sources that are not compatible? i'm specifically wondering about the outs straight from the a-160....

really excited about using this module
makenoise
Gate the Mimeophon's HOLD input to create stutter, jitter, and glitch effects, and to dynamically trap Repeats in time loops!

https://youtu.be/KhghhTFHKEw
jayrope
makenoise wrote:
Starting with firmware version MP70, the Mimeophon will let us instantly empty the sound out of all Zones by setting Mix and Repeats both fully counterclockwise.

That's good news already. I can't find any info on HOW to update the firmware though. EDIT: Unstuff downloaded archive to see update instructions wink
jayrope
makenoise wrote:
Gate the Mimeophon's HOLD input to create stutter, jitter, and glitch effects, and to dynamically trap Repeats in time loops!

https://youtu.be/KhghhTFHKEw

The stutter/hold is very useful. Is there any chance you are going to implement an alternate mode, that would let me PITCH the delay buffer, when hold is on, and simply upon turning the rate dial?

Basically turning rate to tape speed = pitch?

Thanx in advance!
jayrope
ggillon wrote:
jayrope wrote:
Got mine today.

Get an Echophon next to your mime wink The echophon does it

Echophon doesn't pitch like a tape, but that is what i am looking for. Vintage delays, sde-2000 etc all work like this, no warping or other interpolation of sorts, just simple sample rate change. very effective.
Bjarlstedt
Now in stock over at EFN: https://escapefromnoise.com/en/modular/make-noise-mimeophon/
Rost + Licht
Now that the dust has settled;
can this delay get into the haptic tape echo territory?
How does subtle modulation of the colouring settings sound?
ckwjr
Rost + Licht wrote:

differences are subtle. I have a hard time hearing variation in the color knob with even un-subtle modulation. Come to think of it, maybe that's my own hearing loss doing that. I think I've lost hearing in frequencies most affected by "brightness" variation.
ggillon
ckwjr wrote:
Rost + Licht wrote:

differences are subtle. I have a hard time hearing variation in the color knob with even un-subtle modulation. Come to think of it, maybe that's my own hearing loss doing that. I think I've lost hearing in frequencies most affected by "brightness" variation.

The color parameter is far from subtle. It's like a low pass filter. Set the mix to fully wet and you will realize how much it changes the repeats. Unless you can only hear lower frequencies now you should definitely hear something.

Of course if the mix isn't 100% wet it's more difficult to hear it because you still have all the frequencies of the original signal in the mix
ckwjr
That must be it. I've been keeping it throttled to about 20%.
OHEXOH
Anyone else have this strange behavior; I find the Mimeophon a little noisy, but strangely it gets less white noisy as I move from Dry to Wet (wet settings are no repeats, no halo & color set to middle).

hmmm.....
Mashmore
OHEXOH wrote:
Anyone else have this strange behavior; I find the Mimeophon a little noisy, but strangely it gets less white noisy as I move from Dry to Wet (wet settings are no repeats, no halo & color set to middle).

hmmm.....

I’ve got a touch of the morphagene type digital floor noise at times as well. I can usually gain stage and get most of it out of the mix. But yeah mine seems to have a slight noise as well.
starthief
I specifically checked for that because someone else had mentioned it previously. I've got no noticeable noise when dry, and noise that accumulates when it's wet and repeats are high.
Granular
Nutritional Zero wrote:
I'm happy to report that the Mimeophon plays nicely in series with other delays. I took Magneto out for my case for... about two weeks, but there's no way I can really live without either.

This is a single MI Stages in harmonic oscillator mode, into QPAS, into Magneto, then into Mimeophon.

This is really beautiful. Especially the Part starting after 2 min. applause
Nutritional Zero
Thank you so much. I sometimes feel like I’m pissing into the wind when I make these videos and it makes me so happy when it connects with somebody.
Cortega
Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:

hmmm.....

I’ve got a touch of the morphagene type digital floor noise at times as well. I can usually gain stage and get most of it out of the mix. But yeah mine seems to have a slight noise as well.

I think this is the low build build Quality from Make Noise Modules,
the Pots are low build in all Modules and in the Digital Modules from MN you get this Noise Floor,
if you write MN Support about this you get the Answer „ this is the typical Noise Floor that is produced from Digital Modules“
Seriously ??
i have a lot of Digital Modules(ER-301, Rossum, etc.) and there are dead Silent.
I love and have a lot of MN Modules but the Build Quality for the Price is not on the good Side.
nectarios
Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:

hmmm.....

the Pots are low build in all Modules and in the Digital Modules from MN you get this Noise Floor,
if you write MN Support about this you get the Answer „ this is the typical Noise Floor that is produced from Digital Modules“
Seriously ??
i have a lot of Digital Modules(ER-301, Rossum, etc.) and there are dead Silent.
I love and have a lot of MN Modules but the Build Quality for the Price is not on the good Side.

eek!
aintnopicnic
@ Nutritional Zero

love it! applause
bc3
nectarios wrote:
Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:

hmmm.....

Seriously ??

eek!

Well... he is from Germany hihi
nectarios
bc3 wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:

hmmm.....

Seriously ??

eek!

Well... he is from Germany hihi

Meaning? I didn't get it obviously
cyberdine
deleted
tommygee
I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.
yrn1
That is indeed quite noticeable. Any idea why there is no noise in the quiet part before the note?

Could you upload the same, but wet? Just a simple single delay, no color or anything?
digidandy
Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.
djd_oz
Has anyone tried downgrading the s/w to see if the noise issue disappears?
cannonball swandive
Mine is on its way...fingers crossed it doesn’t have this issue:(
geetee
Cortega wrote:
Mashmore wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:

hmmm.....

Seriously ??

My ER-301 was noisy, so there's that.
yrn1
My kids are noisy. Manufacturer ignores my complaints...
Carci
OHEXOH wrote:

hmmm.....

Same issue here.
The dry has digital noise.
It puzzles me as well.
Is the dry signal going thru AD/DA conversion ?

I'm trying to fix it but as it is, I can't use it on stage.
I have the morphagene right next to it and it's super clean.
Buyakasoundman
yrn1 wrote:
My kids are noisy. Manufacturer ignores my complaints...

applause
tommygee
tommygee wrote:
I stated earlier that my Mimeophon does not have the noise issue. It does and it is quite a lot. Perhaps this issue came with the newest firmware update, I'm not sure. Anyway I attached two short files here. One recorded through Mimeophon 100% dry, other recorded directly to my DAW.

Today I heard back from Make Noise, it seems it is not a software issue, and I'll have to send the Mphon over to them Dead Banana
hawkfuzz
digidandy wrote:
Now that the noise issue has been raised by quite a few, some kind of response in this thread from MN would be nice.

This mentality that a manufacture needs to scan through every topic on the internet about their product confuses me.

Emailing the company is the best way to probe a response time and awareness.
starthief
tommygee wrote:

OK, now that you have shared this example: I can duplicate it via questionable gain staging.

Sine VCO through Tallin, with a decay envelope being clocked. I set the level on Tallin so the signal is about 1VPP max, and run that direct into an ES-6. Then in my DAW I boost that input by +24dB. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

If I don't run it through Mimeophon, I hear no noise.

If I run it through Mimeophon, I hear some soft noise that appears to be gated inside of Mimeophon itself. Minimum repeats, Mix fully dry or fully wet (as long as Color isn't set so low that it filters out the noise).

If I go to about 4VPP on my audio signal and boost in the DAW by +12dB, the noise isn't very noticeable.

If I go 10VPP on my audio signal, like I tend to, and don't boost it in the DAW... no noise smile

So yeah. There's a noise floor in Mimeophon that you can hear with the mix fully dry, and the module gates it. But it's also very much a question of gain staging.
tommygee
starthief wrote:
tommygee wrote:

OK, now that you have shared this example: I can duplicate it via questionable gain staging.

Sine VCO through Tallin, with a decay envelope being clocked. I set the level on Tallin so the signal is about 1VPP max, and run that direct into an ES-6. Then in my DAW I boost that input by +24dB. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA.)

If I don't run it through Mimeophon, I hear no noise.

If I run it through Mimeophon, I hear some soft noise that appears to be gated inside of Mimeophon itself. Minimum repeats, Mix fully dry or fully wet (as long as Color isn't set so low that it filters out the noise).

If I go to about 4VPP on my audio signal and boost in the DAW by +12dB, the noise isn't very noticeable.

If I go 10VPP on my audio signal, like I tend to, and don't boost it in the DAW... no noise smile

So yeah. There's a noise floor in Mimeophon that you can hear with the mix fully dry, and the module gates it. But it's also very much a question of gain staging.

Thanks for the input. However I made sure that my gain staging was perfect before I did any conclusions.
Carci
I'm OK with the noise when it's drowned in the effect but it's a shame we can hear it on the dry signal.
I guess I could fix it by having a crossfader next to the mimeophon to do the dry/wet. But that's annoying.

I imagine this is not something that can be fixed with software.
exper
This is worrisome. I've always used the mimeophon with a aux send/return and wet/dry fully wet, but I'll have to take a closer look at it. If I recall, the erbe-verb I had also was noisy on the dry side as well...
starthief
tommygee wrote:
Thanks for the input. However I made sure that my gain staging was perfect before I did any conclusions.

I guess units vary then, or it's something to do with power, or... it's Eurorack, who knows?

Ironically enough I tend to embrace noise and artifacts in my recordings (there's PT delay noise crawling all over everything I've done lately). I'd probably be totally fine with a noisy Mimeophon, but mine's nearly pristine unless I misuse it.
tommygee
hawkfuzz wrote:
digidandy wrote:

This mentality that a manufacture needs to scan through every topic on the internet about their product confuses me.

Yes emailing them is the way - Make Noise has been responding super fast.
Orange
hawkfuzz wrote:
digidandy wrote:

There are tools for this. Big Brother is watchin’ ..... Mr. Green
Funky40
power/psu situation IS allways a factor in euroland !
also which modules are neighbours.
which makes it also very hard for a manufacturer to be certain on that aspect.

my Main rack IS a noisy one.
need to check vs. the mimi when my rack is free again for such test.
My uses with the Mimi are anyway not critical vs. some noise hihi
yrn1
Just received mine. It is indeed VERY noisy. More so on the dry side. There also seems to be a noise gate in there: with no input at all, it is kinda noisy, but with barely audible input, you hear the noise kicking in massively. Of course, ‘massively’ is all relative, but compared to, let’s say, a Z-DSP, which is not entirely silent either, the mimeophon is very noisy.
I’m contemplating sending it back...
bemushroomed
So i guess i wait for the updated version.. was looking forward to this module and almost pre-ordered, glad i didn't..

seems a bit sloppy to not test it more (in more racks etc). These things must be very costly for these rather small manufacturers.
Mend
Can confirm. Just got the Mimeophon. Dry signal is quite noisy. Not sure if this is fixable. Bit of a letdown, cause I LOVE the module. Really don't think it has anything to do with my case as other modules just don't have that issue. Contemplating what to do. It's super fun to play with, and honestly I don't know if they can really do something about it. I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side. I think it's just something in these modules. Not trying to be negative, just wondering if this can be improved in the future.
johny_gtr
Which PSU and busboards do you use?
Anyway, I hope that new pcb revision will be without any noise artefacts.
nectarios
Mend wrote:
... I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side...

Is the mimeophone more noisy than the Erbe-Verb? Cause I remember the EV being noisy as well.
Mend
johny_gtr wrote:
Which PSU and busboards do you use?
Anyway, I hope that new pcb revision will be without any noise artefacts.
I've got the MDLR PWR Busboard and PSU.

Have to say that taking my Roland 521 out of the chain in front of Mimeophon improved things a bit. Have to do some more testing. But maybe Mimeophon needs a good preamp or less modules in front of it. I was running my signal like this: Sampledrum > Roland 521 > Mimeophon. Now it's just Sampledrum > Mimeophon and it's a little better.

Quite sure the samples I was playing in my Sampledrum are pretty clean.
nectarios wrote:
Mend wrote:
... I have the Morphagene and Erbe-verb and both are a bit on the noisy side...

Is the mimeophone more noisy than the Erbe-Verb? Cause I remember the EV being noisy as well.
Can't speak for everyone. But it seems similar. The wetter the signal, the cleaner it becomes, for me at least. And turning 'color' down helps. But ideally I wouldn't want to have to adjust settings just to get rid of noise.
Mend
Done some further testing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RT2HAYOIzJv9x2RiMlCfUCemj4_Fs9SF/view  ?usp=sharing

It's really not bad at all when I run Omnisphere out of my interface and run it directly into Mimeophon. The first few seconds is Omnisphere dry. There's a bit of a delay on it already. Mimeophon starts at around 45 seconds. There's some crackling in the wav, but that's because I was driving the signal a bit louder than I should have. Pretty damn cool module.

Maybe I was a bit quick to judge after having some noise issues with Erbe-verb myself and reading about noise issues with Mimeophon. It does get noisy from time to time, but mostly when playing with my Roland 521. So maybe my filter isn't as clean as I'd like it to be and Mimeophon shines a light on it? Gotta do some more testing but despite some early worries I AM having fun with it.

Sorry if this has turned people off from buying. I guess you have to try it for yourself.
vnsc
I've done some super non-scientific testing of the noise floor and I have no issues with proper gain staging. FWIW, I have not updated the FW to the latest yet.

Aside from that... this thing is a dream. Initially I was attracted because of the modeless flexibility (I love a modulatable delay that can do chorus and karplus) and the wide range of delay times. But truly, having the ability to switch zones and clock the rate to change without doppler effects is the most amazing thing of all. Easy to glitch things, create interlocking rhythms, texturize timbres, mirror and bounce things around...

It's also the perfect other half to Morphagene. With the right patching you can bounce loops back and forth, spatializing, texturizing, and harmonizing, like a crazy mutant digital tape space station. Using morpha as a harmonized delay for a melodic sequence into filters and mimeophon creates some of the most interesting, dynamic and evolving 'shimmer' type effects I have ever heard. Super cool!
starthief
As a probably useless data point, my trouble-free Mimeophon is in a MDLRCASE studio case, with their branded busboards and a pair of Meanwell RT65B PSUs... nothing fancy.
Nutritional Zero
I’m good in an Intellijel case and also Make Noise’s performance case. No issues to report.
ggillon
No noise issue here either with the MN shared system. This thing is so cool I use it all the time. I love the integrated, reverb and filter.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/night-noise-pt2[/s]
Besfar
I just got the module, and the noisefloor is really loud.
Also on 100% dry.
Have the tiptop 252 case.

Module is cool, but will not be able to use it in studio work im afraid. Maybe industrial hihi

Though i have to add, the noise is a really cool noise. Like a broken steam pipe.
If you saw the sonicstate alessandro cortini special where his buchla sounds broken. Or the noise from the eraserhead movie. That noise. Nice nanners

But id rather it was quiet hihi
Besfar
[quote="Mend"]
johny_gtr wrote:
Can't speak for everyone. But it seems similar. The wetter the signal, the cleaner it becomes, for me at least. And turning 'color' down helps. But ideally I wouldn't want to have to adjust settings just to get rid of noise.

Same. More wet = less broken steampipe. Just regular noise on full wet.
Besfar
Update:

For reasons that are beyond me, my soundcard is not picking up the noise from the same output/signal chain/settings as when i listen directly. No noise gate.
I dont understand, and i dont want to think about it. Just happy smile
So seems i can use this in the studio after all.

Great!
ggillon
A bit of noodling with the morphagene feeding the mimephon

[s]https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/gates-and-mirrors[/s]

I also had a lot of fun sending it speech bits played in reverse by the morphagene and then the mimeophone flipping them again to play properly in the echoes
sendepause
This is a very fun module!

Here is used it in self oscillating mode and cv-ing some stuff.
Click on image for video.

[/url]
jayrope
vnsc wrote:
... having the ability to switch zones and clock the rate to change without doppler effects is the most amazing thing of all. ...

Mimeophon is pretty great for all kinds of things, though
personally i am very much missing the typical vintage mode, that directly relates clock rate to buffer pitch, especially when hold is on.

I wrote to Make Noise about this weeks ago, but they didn't respond to that.
cackland
sendepause wrote:
This is a very fun module!

Here is used it in self oscillating mode and cv-ing some stuff.
Click on image for video.

[/url]

The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?
Pighood
After a few weeks of ownership, I find myself gelling very well with it, but realize I need a new skiff to house my dear Echophon, which the Mim was SUPPOSED to replace, but I can't bring myself to part with. waah
autopoiesis
is there any kind of final word on the noise floor at dry? all I can gather is that some modules are noisier than others, that power supply may or may not be a factor, and that in at least one case the noise is no longer present when the audio is passed through an audio interface (???)

really want to jump on this but am reluctant to end up with a module that might require servicing in the US
Trebbers
autopoiesis wrote:
is there any kind of final word on the noise floor at dry? all I can gather is that some modules are noisier than others, that power supply may or may not be a factor, and that in at least one case the noise is no longer present when the audio is passed through an audio interface (???)

really want to jump on this but am reluctant to end up with a module that might require servicing in the US

I can only talk about my own module/system, but I do not see the noise as a problem, and agree with some others here that it can be avoided with attention to gain staging.

If I route the Mimephon dry into a stereo channel of the WMD Performance mixer, noise just becomes audible when I push the fader to around 65%. This is with the master volume of the mixer at max and my monitors a good bit louder than I normally have them. In contrast, Plaits or Rubicon into the same channel is "too loud" with the fader at 45-50%. The noise is not enough to register on the PM's dBu meter even at -24dBu with the fader 100% up.

The thing to avoid is going to be putting a quiet signal into the Mimephon and then adding gain/heavy compression w/low threshold to it's output which would raise the level of the noise as well. Good news is that adjusting the gain on the module doesn't seem to affect the noise at all .

System: 2x Intellijel 7U 104HP, skiff with Intellijel TPS30MAX power.
starthief
Maybe there was a bad/mislabeled batch of parts? I'm seeing people say they tried several units at a shop and they were all noisy.

For what it's worth, I consider mine well-behaved; its serial number is 919, and I bought it from Nerd Audio at KnobCon.

With very quiet input signals and gain increased later in the chain, I can hear some gated white noise -- but it is NOT louder (nor quieter) when the mix knob is set to dry.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Are there any other delay units that can be played in self oscillation ?
sendepause
cackland wrote:

The tomatek audio module to the left...? Couldn’t find anything on this. Only a bare Facebook page.

Any info?

Not so much actually. It's just like it says on the FB page: "We are a small eurorack company based in Amsterdam. We are currently busy prototyping and designing our very first few eurorack modules and accessories."

It's just one guy doing stuff. I got this from him as a present and is use it mostly as an aux sent to FX.
He also made a very nice filter. I know he just got a kid so not sure how busy he is with designing modules at the moment ;-)
Fallen_lassen
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:

Most BBD delays can be played.
I use my Roland 572 this way. Keyboard. V into mod
cackland
sendepause wrote:
cackland wrote:

Any info?

Not so much actually. It's just like it says on the FB page: "We are a small eurorack company based in Amsterdam. We are currently busy prototyping and designing our very first few eurorack modules and accessories."

It's just one guy doing stuff. I got this from him as a present and is use it mostly as an aux sent to FX.
He also made a very nice filter. I know he just got a kid so not sure how busy he is with designing modules at the moment ;-)

Ok cool. Thanks for the info
ggillon
More jamming with mimeophon

[s]http://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/passage[/s]
daluxer
if you are looking for some video & audio around the mimeophon. it's pretty neat

VM
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:

Lyra-8 FX

I wouldn't count on being able to 'play' it, but it sounds good enough just doing it's own thing.
Besfar
For fun/science, here are the noise floors im getting with the mimeophon, with nothing patched to the mim.

First pic is the mixer, nothing patched, so base level noise

Second is mimeophon through mixer, mim full wet.

Last is mimeophon, through mixer, mim full dry.

[/img]
ignatius
has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.
Mend
ignatius wrote:
has anyone done a demo w/drums going into this thing? would love to hear just some basic kick snare hat getting mangled.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B31pU4Vhp1B/

Never posted anything Instagram here. Hope this works. Just a loop with noisy kicks > mimeophon (modulated a bunch by Planar 2).
Nutritional Zero
daluxer wrote:
if you are looking for some video & audio around the mimeophon. it's pretty neat

This is absolutely stunning.
Xtheunknown
Besfar wrote:
For fun/science, here are the noise floors im getting with the mimeophon, with nothing patched to the mim.

First pic is the mixer, nothing patched, so base level noise

Second is mimeophon through mixer, mim full wet.

Last is mimeophon, through mixer, mim full dry.

[/img]

What is your impression of these results? Is the noise floor a problem in practice, in your opinion?
starthief
I see a similar spike at around 12kHz with mine. Going through my ES-6 with no added gain, it's averaging about -62dB at 100% wet, and -61dB at 100% dry.

For me this is not audible at normal monitoring levels; if I turn up my monitors enough to hear the noise, then HDmk3 or E352 plugged into Mimeophon's input are borderline dangerously loud.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 18